What's new

WB debars SNC-Lavalin Inc for 10 yrs over Padma Graft

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
WB debars SNC-Lavalin Inc for 10 yrs over Padma Graft

daily sun | | WB debars SNC-Lavalin Inc for 10 yrs over Padma Graft

DHAKA: The World Bank cuts off ties with Canadian company SNC-Lavalin Inc and its over 100 affiliates for ten years as Padma bridge graft allegations as well as misconduct under another Bank-financed project were proved.

SNC-Lavalin Inc is a subsidiary of SNC-Lavalin Group, a Canadian company, and represents more than 60 percent of its business.

The debarment is part of a Negotiated Resolution Agreement between the World Bank and SNC-Lavalin Group following a WB-investigation into allegations of bribery schemes involving SNC-Lavalin Inc. and officials in Bangladesh, according to a message received here.

While the investigation was on, the World Bank’s Integrity Vice Presidency also learned of misconduct by SNC-Lavalin Inc in relation to the World Bank-financed Rural Electrification and Transmission project in Cambodia.

The debarment can be reduced to eight years if the companies comply with all conditions of the agreement. The remainder of the SNC-Lavalin Group has been conditionally non-debarred for the same period of time.

Under this sanction, the remainder of SNC-Lavalin Group faces debarment if they fail to comply with the terms and conditions of the Agreement.

"This case is testimony to collective action against global corruption,” said Leonard McCarthy, World Bank Integrity Vice President. “Once we had evidence of the company’s misconduct, we referred the matter to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police whilst the World Bank finalized its investigation. Going forward, I hope that SNC-Lavalin’s commitment under this agreement represents meaningful action in deterring the risks of fraud and corruption to development projects.”

SNC-Lavalin’s misconduct involved a conspiracy to pay bribes and misrepresentations when bidding for Bank-financed contracts in violation of the World Bank’s procurement guidelines.

Under the Agreement, the SNC-Lavalin Group and its affiliates commit to cooperating with the World Bank’s Integrity Vice Presidency and continuing to improve their internal compliance program. The debarment of SNC-Lavalin Inc. qualifies for cross-debarment by other MDBs under the Agreement of Mutual Recognition of Debarments that was signed on April 9, 2010.

-UNB

So far from the diary of Ex SNC Lavalin Chief it has been found that the 10% bribe was supposed to be divided in the following order:

1: Mahiur Rahman - Adviser to PM Hasina (1%)

2: Abul Hossain - Ex Communication Minister with nich Min in the diary (4%)

3: Abul Hasan Chowdhury Kaisar - Ex Foreign State Minister (2%)

4: Mojibur Rahman Nixon Chowdhury - Brother of Chief Whip Nure Alam Chowdhury (2%)

5: Mosharraf Hossain Bhuyian - Ex Bridge Secretary (1%)

image_1216_341399.jpg

Source:

৫ জনে ১০% ঘুষ :: প্রথম পাতা :: কালের কণ্ঠ

SNC Lavlin did the something similar in Kerala as well... and there is one case already running which involves one senior leader of a party.....

SNC Lavlin did the something similar in Kerala as well... and there is one case already running which involves one senior leader of a party.....

Oh .. so SNC Lavlin is corrupted by nature :pop:

Still AL chamcha allover the PDF will deny.my question is if this company is already had a questionable reputation in India why did world bank allowed them in the first place?AL I understand wanted some one who know how to bribe.but why didn't the heads(with no brains it seems)of this project inside world bank didn't see this before? Then is what some ppl say also true?did world bank had some hidden agenda regarding Padma bridge?

Still AL chamcha allover the PDF will deny.my question is if this company is already had a questionable reputation in India why did world bank allowed them in the first place?AL I understand wanted some one who know how to bribe.but why didn't the heads(with no brains it seems)of this project inside world bank didn't see this before? Then is what some ppl say also true?did world bank had some hidden agenda regarding Padma bridge?

It has been mentioned that all the companies tried to contact these high ranking officials and even had secret meeting with them. Even some Ambassador of European countries had meeting with them. I am curious did not they also offered some bribe for the project as it is a common practice in Bangladesh and something like SNC Lavalin's bribe offer was high thats why the contract goes to them!!!

The amount of total proposed bribe was 5 million USD or Approximately 40 cr Tata. 4% commission means Abul was supposed to get 16 Cr taka. I am quite sure he made much more from different projects and its a pretty small amount for a minister of Bangladesh. For the benefit of the country he could spare it from this project. But after all he is a patriot.

It has been mentioned that all the companies tried to contact these high ranking officials and even had secret meeting with them. Even some Ambassador of European countries had meeting with them. I am curious did not they also offered some bribe for the project as it is a common practice in Bangladesh and something like SNC Lavalin's bribe offer was high thats why the contract goes to them!!!

The amount of total proposed bribe was 5 million USD or Approximately 40 cr Tata. 4% commission means Abul was supposed to get 16 Cr taka. I am quite sure he made much more from different projects and its a pretty small amount for a minister of Bangladesh. For the benefit of the country he could spare it from this project. But after all he is a patriot.

1000 crore suppose to be distributed among top officials, PM's family, ministers etc of the whole Padma bridge project

Yeah..every multinational works here in BD through bribe. This case was leaked for over greedy nature of BAL or for some other reasons that we don't know. I know about Galachipa, Patuakhali project of Chevron which wasn't progressing for one PS of PM office. He demanded tk 100 crore. Anyway, Chevron later managed it bypassing that PS and directly contacting PM meaning they directly paid her :) . Multinationals don't care a mere PS.

@madx DA(bhai bolle jamati bole Jodi)some valuable input?

What valuable input will you like to see??
Corruption is in nature of BD. If you were in those positions you too would try that.
Bnps corruption were greater then these. Its a good thing of this gov that most of the corruptions are coming
infront before fulfilled. So great sign.

Bangabandhu,"SHOBAI PAI SONAR KHONI AR AMI PAISI CHORER KHONI".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom