What's new

‘War-like’ arms store seized near LoC in Jammu

Life's hectic mate. Getting into a new role and you know how badly the non-conventional energy sector has been beaten up...

How's it going at your end?

TOI will never stop war mongering and sensationalism on smallest of the things...!

I exact know what you are sayin, Man our company pretty much went up in flames
I switched jobs, state and sector, Still in test engineering but in industrial HVAC now...

I exact know what you are sayin, Man our company pretty much went up in flames
I switched jobs, state and sector, Still in test engineering but in industrial HVAC now...

HVAC is nice. HVDC is nicer. Limited suppliers, duopolies between large player... Congrats on the shift!

AK 47 is a weapon designed by Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov. "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists ... I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." is what he says. I'm no peacenik but a 7.62 x 39mm round can decapacitate a man in his larynx, only soldiers and armed forces must be allowed to even touch it.

If ever man in Pakistan has a Khyber Pakhtunwha AK 47 and is struting in the streets with it, I fear for Pakistan's health.

Sir, i lived few hundred meters from the ALC and we never had bunkers, even in 1999... My dad tells me that they had them in 71, but never after that

I dont know about the IOK but in AJK if you live near the LOC you are given an old rifle with a handful of bullets by the army and have access to village bunkers.
You may be thinking of some massive military bunker but its more like a small underground room made of concrete.

I dont know about the IOK but in AJK if you live near the LOC you are given an old rifle with a handful of bullets by the army and have access to village bunkers.
You may be thinking of some massive military bunker but its more like a small underground room made of concrete.

I am from Jammu and Kashmir and in J&K like you said citizens are given old rifles from protection against terrorists but no one makes bunkers.Atleast i havent seen it in my entire life.

I am from the Poonch/Rajouri Border that sees the worst kind of heavy mortar and RPG firing from either side (and i still remember that sound of Pakistani fire sound of ''Tak-dumb'' - Never really figured out what were they firing). At least in my experience, I have never seen anyone on either side running into bunkers (of concrete or simple mud and wood made) and if you have seen that area, you will actually know that either side can pretty much 'see' what is happening on the other side. On a calm day, you can actually listen to the Aazaan or the half day school bell from the other side. Having lived there, I have never seen anything like that. I just shared my personal experience. May be, in areas along Kupwara/kashmir range or keran sector side might have them. This side of Haji Pir is pretty much without bunkers on either side (except Army bunkers and some saangars)

On old rifles; Army does hand in .303 to villagers. But the hand them to trained patrol parties. We call them the Village Defense Committees (VDC). I was myself part of one for my village. But, there is no handing over of rifles to every family, but only to a platoon, which is formed in most of the villages.

One of the reason for not handing rifles to everyone is that on my side of the the border, the area used to be so heavily militarized that it would take moments before a second lieutenant (in 90's that post existed in IA) with his platoon would actually show up on your door step, after they even heard of a disturbance and the BOPs are so close that infiltration from that border rarely happens (specially because the is NO local support for that kind of infiltration stuff). There are only 2 pockets where infiltration happens - krishna Ghati and Buddhal area, but those are very very sparsely populated and therefore don't have VDCs.

My intent is not to tell you that it does not happen. I just wanted to share what happens on our side on the border that I belong to (in the state that we call J&K :) - With no occupied or Azads prefixes attached - pun intended)

I am from the Poonch/Rajouri Border that sees the worst kind of heavy mortar and RPG firing from either side (and i still remember that sound of Pakistani fire sound of ''Tak-dumb'' - Never really figured out what were they firing). At least in my experience, I have never seen anyone on either side running into bunkers (of concrete or simple mud and wood made) and if you have seen that area, you will actually know that either side can pretty much 'see' what is happening on the other side. On a calm day, you can actually listen to the Aazaan or the half day school bell from the other side. Having lived there, I have never seen anything like that. I just shared my personal experience. May be, in areas along Kupwara/kashmir range or keran sector side might have them. This side of Haji Pir is pretty much without bunkers on either side (except Army bunkers and some saangars)

On old rifles; Army does hand in .303 to villagers. But the hand them to trained patrol parties. We call them the Village Defense Committees (VDC). I was myself part of one for my village. But, there is no handing over of rifles to every family, but only to a platoon, which is formed in most of the villages.

One of the reason for not handing rifles to everyone is that on my side of the the border, the area used to be so heavily militarized that it would take moments before a second lieutenant (in 90's that post existed in IA) with his platoon would actually show up on your door step, after they even heard of a disturbance and the BOPs are so close that infiltration from that border rarely happens (specially because the is NO local support for that kind of infiltration stuff). There are only 2 pockets where infiltration happens - krishna Ghati and Buddhal area, but those are very very sparsely populated and therefore don't have VDCs.

My intent is not to tell you that it does not happen. I just wanted to share what happens on our side on the border that I belong to (in the state that we call J&K :) - With no occupied or Azads prefixes attached - pun intended)

Are VDC's still active in J&K? If yes do they still use .303?

Are VDC's still active in J&K? If yes do they still use .303?

Not all areas (but they still exist in few, though with much less popularity) and yes, majority still has .303. There was some talk of handing in old SLRs, but automatic weapon in civil hands isn't that great an idea. So far as I know, it's the same old cork and fire 303

Excellent.....my mother is from Rajouri and a large part of my family live in the khuiratta which as you probably know is just across the LOC from you.......my family is basically based along the LOC from bagh all the way down to chamb.

Just one point i cant figure out......what with the fence and blaring lights?.......the indian govt needed that during the 90s but you build one now when cross border movement has not taken place in significant number for over a decade.It also makes no sense becauseif the pak army was intent on letting fighters cross the border it would shell the fence-wall and let them through.

Your overall assumption is correct but after kargil bunkers where built by villagers with army guidance in most cases......i came back from pakistan a few months ago and now regret not taking pictures of the bunker...i didnt really think it was a would be issue that someone would bring up.Also a picture of a underground concrete room is not something most people would take a picture off.
Its good to know theres other people on this forum who share the experience of coming under fire-shelling from either the pak or indian army and see firsthand what war is really like and the destuction-death it causes and the need for a resolution to the issue.

I only really knew about the pak army giving rifles to villagers (not every villager)after seeing one of my uncles with a old rifle and asking him where he got from.
I would expect the pakistani side does something along the same lines as your Village Defense Committees but i can remember what the official title for the villagers is.

Considering your being so civil and gracious i will refer to it as J&K from now on with you.

Excellent.....my mother is from Rajouri and a large part of my family live in the khuiratta which as you probably know is just across the LOC from you.......my family is basically based along the LOC from bagh all the way down to chamb.

Nice... My grandparents were from Bagh, Kotli & Mandhol and the people who took our lands, visited us in India after the bus service started. It was so nice to check out the pics from the other side. I am sure you know that people from that area don't need passports and visas, but only a permit to visit the other side

Just one point i cant figure out......what with the fence and blaring lights?.......the indian govt needed that during the 90s but you build one now when cross border movement has not taken place in significant number for over a decade.It also makes no sense beacuce if the pak army was intent on letting fighters cross the border it would shell the fence-wall and let them through

You will be surprised that in my village, the fence is behind the village and one has to cross the fence to reach the village. PA never really allowed to make the fences in right places (they did shell everytime we tried to put the fence closer to the ALC) and since Govt was hell bent on spending the money, they just put the fence. It really has no 'real and practical' benefit, except being a 'symbol' (with some of our areas and most of our posts on the wrong side of the fence :P)

Considering your being so civil and gracious i will refer to it as J&K from now on with you.

That is really nice of you and Thank you for that! Really appreciate it :)

And, glad to know that someone from the other side who has seen the 'real ALC borders' is also present on this forum!!!

The Jammu & Kashmir police spokesperson described the recovery as "a major blow to efforts of revival of terrorism in the state."

Link - ‘War-like’ arms store seized near LoC in Jammu - The Times of India
:omghaha: The recovery of a couple of hand grenades, some assorted ammo, and a pistol translates to "a major blow to efforts of revival of terrorism in the state."??? :woot: :rofl:

This half brained Jammu & Kashmir police spokesperson doesn't know what the heck he's talking about! Such weapons and ammo cashes are recovered almost daily since the last many years! This is no big deal. Why are they making such a dance and song about this non issue?

lol... i have far more weapons in my house..2 aks n 1x 7mm... war like arm store..:cuckoo:

Dude in India, 90-99% of population have not touched firearms. 99.999% Indian have not touched grenade, AK-47 type of destructive weapons.. For Indians Handgun alone is big thing...

AK 47 is a weapon designed by Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov. "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists ... I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." is what he says. I'm no peacenik but a 7.62 x 39mm round can decapacitate a man in his larynx, only soldiers and armed forces must be allowed to even touch it.

If ever man in Pakistan has a Khyber Pakhtunwha AK 47 and is struting in the streets with it, I fear for Pakistan's health.

AK47 is true weapon of Mass Distruction, It has killed more man than any other weapon in world...

Back
Top Bottom