What's new

Walls and Bridges

muse

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
So, should we build walls?

Zafar Hilaly
Thursday, February 21, 2013

Let’s face it; Pakistan and India have incompatible mutual obsessions. Ours is Kashmir and security. What rankles with India is that we are still on the map of the world. Pakistan was not just a mistake in Indian eyes but an insult to the idea of India. Every so often well meaning Pakistanis forget this and try to square the circle. Like I did when, as a junior officer manning the India Desk in the Foreign Office, I felt that given a modicum of goodwill India-Pakistan relations were fixable and not permanently jinxed.

After all, I reasoned, had Jinnah not said he wanted the best possible relations with India? Then why were these old fogies of the Foreign Office going on and on about India being the ‘eternal’ enemy.
And so, in my own puny way, I supported moves for better relations with India and spoke out whenever those who mattered were within earshot.

An opportunity arose in 1973 when I discovered myself in the presence of the then foreign secretary, a former foreign secretary – who was then a powerful minister in the cabinet of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto – and our former ambassador to the US. That one of them was my father and the second my uncle made the occasion, in my view, all the more appropriate.

I pointed out that since the confrontationist approach towards India had failed, perhaps a different, more convivial and less abrasive approach may work. There was a stunned silence. None of the three ICS mandarins spoke for what seemed like ages and when someone did it was my father who told me to run along and fetch some more ice. I thought I also heard the foreign secretary muttering something about this “boy needing to grow up”.

The second opportunity arose when I was at the OIC summit in Casablanca with Benazir Bhutto in 1995. We had just finished making the rounds of the heads of state and, feeling pleased with her efforts, Benazir seemed in a receptive mood. I started off by saying that if amity with India was not possible perhaps managing differences more adroitly was a wise alternative but that this required engaging India far more robustly than we were doing then.

“Great”, Benazir remarked, “now put it down in black and white, take it to ‘them’ (the fauj) and if they let you out of the room in one piece come and tell me their response. Meanwhile, I’m off shopping”.
And that was that.

I persisted, although I dropped the somewhat ‘in your face’ approach in favour of a more indirect one. I also tried drumming up support. I knew the arch-hawk and head of the Parliamentary Kashmir Committee, Nawabzada Nasrullah had a soft spot for me. His other failing was that he could not be separated for long from his hookah. So, after he had settled down in his hotel room in New York, where we had all assembled for the UNGA session and lit the hookah, I barged in to say my piece.

Midway through my soliloquy I noticed the Nawabzada was puffing away with unusual gusto and a little later smoke was billowing out not only from his mouth but I swear, from his ears too, when suddenly the door burst open. It was the hotel (Plaza) supervisor. Apparently the Nawabzada’s hookah had set off the hotel smoke alarm and, needless to say, we all had to rush out. I thanked my stars and decided not to tempt fate again.

Instead of rushing in where angels fear to tread I should have asked myself why Jinnah, who was about as areligious and secular a man as you would find in the Subcontinent suddenly had a change of heart and why this ‘Ambassador of Hindu-Muslim unity’ (Gokhale) preferred, in his own words, “a truncated moth-eaten Pakistan” to remaining within India.

Or, better still, why my father thought nothing of leaving a score of family homes in a street named after his father in Bangalore (still there) in exchange for a rickety abode in Karachi, especially when in Bangalore and southern India in general there was little Hindu-Muslim animosity.

It was only when I was thrown onto the scrap heap that most retirees are and began reading intensively that the penny dropped and it occurred to me that the old fogies of the FO may have been right after all. They had roomed and schooled with their Indian counterparts; they had gone to college with them; they had eyed the same gals and knew and understood each other. And yet, this lot was convinced that for Muslims, Hindu majority rule was unacceptable. Were they all, to a man, mistaken? Surely not, I thought, and started looking for clues.

Consider what Jaswant Singh, a former Indian foreign minister and among the most intelligent of the lot India has had, confided to US Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbot privately during their extended conversations in the mid 1990s: As far as India was concerned, Pakistan was not just India’s sibling but its twin – born of the same womb. However, from the moment of its birth Pakistan had gone terribly and permanently wrong. According to Jaswant, Pakistan was a relatively small incurably troubled and incorrigibly troublesome state that dreamed of parity with India it would never attain or deserve.

Kashmir was “closed history” and a case study in the fraught history of Pakistan. It was not fitting as a topic for international diplomacy. Pakistan’s fixation with Kashmir should be understood as an objectification of Pakistan’s predicament as a lost soul among nations, an ersatz country whose founder’s only real legacy was a permanent reminder of what a tragic mistake partition had been.

No one had had as much experience with Islam as India. India knew how to deal with Pakistan (and presumably Islam) and America must work with India in waging our common struggle against these forces.

Talbott remarked that although he agreed with much of what Jaswant said, namely that Partition was a huge and tragic mistake, “I am at a loss to understand how an indictment of Pakistan’s origins and a presumption of guilt about Pakistan’s every move could possibly help India dealing with Pakistan”.

Precisely, but the truth is that India isn’t really bothered whether it gets on with Pakistan. In Jaswant’s view it suffices that Pakistan is an illegitimate state and an illegitimate heir of British India and therefore can have no legal claim to the patrimony, certainly not in preference to that of the sole legitimate heir – Bharat.

Viewed thus it is unrealistic to believe that we can achieve anything more than a modus vivendi with India in the foreseeable future. And perhaps not even then, if our internal decay shows no signs of abating and the prospect of us fracturing increases. India will want to wait and see what kind of an entity or entities will replace Pakistan.

Perhaps that’s why very little has emerged from the composite dialogue. Agreements reached have not been concluded; every little molehill has been made into a mountain and used as a pretext to prolong talks. Even where agreements were signed their implementation has been delayed or suspended.

So let’s drop the notion that somehow if we keep talking things will mend. Keep talking by all means but let’s not have a delusional view of these talks and let’s also concede that there are few happy endings in the India-Pakistan saga. Frankly, the stronger and higher the walls between us neighbours, the better neighbours we will make.

The writer is a former ambassador. Email: charles123it@hotmail.com

I say with a bit of sarcasm and wonder that a state made through ballot not at the point of gun is a throne in the eyes of our Colonial masters, the reaction of Indians is understandable that a part of their very body and soul was taken from them but British?
come on guys it was the right of the people to decide, the very democracy you introduced here.

I also understand and someone agree that our attempts of normalization and reconciliation are very futile and weak and take a blow back on slightest of provocation from either of the sides and suddenly the people from either side are crying for blood.

maybe the best we can achieve or expect is to reduce our forces from the international borders if reducing them from the disputed territory is too much to ask from either side.

Simple & real analysis. There is not much high expectations. Zafar Hilaly is a frequent face in Indian tv channels, presenting Pakistani perspective of the issues we squabble about all the time. Frequent interactions with like minded people from both sides may have contributed to his pessimistic view of relations between India & Pakistan.

With the distinguished Mr. Hilaly's piece as the lead in this thread, we are apprised of one sense, below is another:

To Fight India, We Fought Ourselves
By MOHSIN HAMID
February 21, 2013

LAHORE, Pakistan

ON Monday, my mother’s and sister’s eye doctor was assassinated. He was a Shiite. He was shot six times while driving to drop his son off at school. His son, age 12, was executed with a single shot to the head.

Tuesday, I attended a protest in front of the Governor’s House in Lahore demanding that more be done to protect Pakistan’s Shiites from sectarian extremists. These extremists are responsible for increasingly frequent attacks, including bombings this year that killed more than 200 people, most of them Hazara Shiites, in the city of Quetta.

As I stood in the anguished crowd in Lahore, similar protests were being held throughout Pakistan. Roads were shut. Demonstrators blocked access to airports. My father was trapped in one for the evening, yet he said most of his fellow travelers bore the delay without anger. They sympathized with the protesters’ objectives.

Minority persecution is a common notion around the world, bringing to mind the treatment of African-Americans in the United States, for example, or Arab immigrants in Europe. In Pakistan, though, the situation is more unusual: those persecuted as minorities collectively constitute a vast majority.

A filmmaker I know who has relatives in the Ahmadi sect told me that her family’s graves in Lahore had been defaced, because Ahmadis are regarded as apostates. A Baluch friend said it was difficult to take Punjabi visitors with him to Baluchistan, because there is so much local anger there at violence toward the Baluch. An acquaintance of mine, a Pakistani Hindu, once got angry when I answered the question “how are things?” with the word “fine” — because things so obviously aren’t. And Pakistani Christians have borne the brunt of arrests under the country’s blasphemy law; a governor of my province was assassinated for trying to repeal it.

What then is the status of the country’s majority? In Pakistan, there is no such thing. Punjab is the most populous province, but its roughly 100 million people are divided by language, religious sect, outlook and gender. Sunni Muslims represent Pakistan’s most populous faith, but it’s dangerous to be the wrong kind of Sunni. Sunnis are regularly killed for being open to the new ways of the West, or for adhering to the old traditions of the Indian subcontinent, for being liberal, for being mystical, for being in politics, the army or the police, or for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

At the heart of Pakistan’s troubles is the celebration of the militant. Whether fighting in Afghanistan, or Kashmir, or at home, this deadly figure has been elevated to heroic status: willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, able to win the ultimate victory, selfless, noble. Yet as tens of thousands of Pakistanis die at the hands of such heroes, as tens of millions of Pakistanis go about their lives in daily fear of them, a recalibration is being demanded. The need of the hour, of the year, of the generation, is peace.

Pakistan is in the grips of militancy because of its fraught relationship with India, with which it has fought three wars and innumerable skirmishes since the countries separated in 1947. Militants were cultivated as an equalizer, to make Pakistan safer against a much larger foe. But they have done the opposite, killing Pakistanis at home and increasing the likelihood of catastrophic conflicts abroad.

Normalizing relations with India could help starve Pakistani militancy of oxygen. So it is significant that the prospects for peace between the two nuclear-armed countries look better than they have in some time.

India and Pakistan share a lengthy land border, but they might as well be on separate continents, so limited is their trade with each other and the commingling of their people. Visas, traditionally hard to get, restricted to specific cities and burdened with onerous requirements to report to the local police, are becoming more flexible for business travelers and older citizens. Trade is also picking up. A pulp manufacturer in Pakistani Punjab, for example, told me he had identified a paper mill in Indian Punjab that could purchase his factory’s entire output.

These openings could be the first cracks in a dam that holds back a flood of interaction. Whenever I go to New Delhi, many I meet are eager to visit Lahore. Home to roughly a combined 25 million people, the cities are not much more than half an hour apart by plane, and yet they are linked by only two flights a week.

Cultural connections are increasing, too. Indian films dominate at Pakistani cinemas, and Indian songs play at Pakistani weddings. Now Pakistanis are making inroads in the opposite direction. Pakistani actors have appeared as Bollywood leads and on Indian reality TV. Pakistani contemporary art is being snapped up by Indian buyers. And New Delhi is the publishing center for the current crop of Pakistani English-language fiction.

A major constraint the two countries have faced in normalizing relations has been the power of security hawks on both sides, and especially in Pakistan. But even in this domain we might be seeing an improvement. The new official doctrine of the Pakistani Army for the first time identifies internal militants, rather than India, as the country’s No. 1 threat. And Pakistan has just completed an unprecedented five years under a single elected government. This year, it will be holding elections in which the largest parties all agree that peace with India is essential.

Peace with India or, rather, increasingly normal neighborly relations, offers the best chance for Pakistan to succeed in dismantling its cult of militancy. Pakistan’s extremists, of course, understand this, and so we can expect to see, as we have in the past, attempts to scupper progress through cross-border violence. They will try to goad India into retaliating and thereby giving them what serves them best: a state of frozen, impermeable hostility.

They may well succeed. For there is a disturbing rise of hyperbolic nationalism among India’s prickly emerging middle class, and the Indian media is quick to stoke the fires. The explosion of popular rage in India after a recent military exchange, in which soldiers on both sides of the border were killed, is an indicator of the danger.

So it is important now to prepare the public in both countries for an extremist outrage, which may well originate in Pakistan, and for the self-defeating calls for an extreme response, which are likely to be heard in India. Such confrontations have always derailed peace in the past. They must not be allowed to do so again. In the tricky months ahead, as India and Pakistan reconnect after decades of virtual embargo, those of us who believe in peace should regard extremist provocations not as barriers to our success but, perversely, as signs that we are succeeding

@muse;
Zafar Hilaly's piece is interesting; even more so since he is a diplomat who I have grown to respect. His earlier efforts in his career that he has described are entirely plausible. And I daresay that there have been more diplomats like him in Pakistan, in my view; the soldier turned diplomat Sahibzada Yakub Khan was of similar mind.

But he is not entirely correct. Actually he is mistaken in concluding the POV articulated by Jaswant Singh to Strobe Talbot as being the totality and singular and conclusive view of Pakistan in India; more so in the Indian Establishment.
That said; he has highlighted one aspect- One view that holds that India and Pakistan as being siblings; nay "siamese twins torn apart" by Partition. To be correct this view was one that was held by the leadership in Pakistan in the immediate aftermath of 1947 and accepted in India (grudgingly in some quarters). This was valid to a great extent in the circumstances then. Two countries that seemed so similar (except for size). Therefore even the world thought on similar lines. Alright upto then. Then the 60s happened (the Ayub Khan era); now both countries were clearly on divergent paths. Pakistan was drifting away from Westminster style Democracy and was willing to become part of power-blocs which afforded various gifts (called assistance) and which seemed to be a short-cut to "dining at the high table of super powers". These were perks that would not have accrued to Pakistan in the normal course of events.

In parallel, India doggedly persisted with Westminster Democracy (though it even seemed phenomenally alien to Indian society) and efforts towards a deliberately calibrated neutrality to power blocs in the hope of creating an independent niche in world politics. Results in the first aspect were very slow but steadily rising graph, while the results in the second aspect was a "roller-coaster ride" most times. Then came the 70s, by that time India had achieved stability on both counts while being economically backward. But that did not matter much since a degree of self-esteem had been created.
This is the time that India believed (and asserted) that the "siamese twins torn asunder theory" was unjustified. India believed that it had greater potential but was persistently being denied an appropriate status. So India thoroughly resented the hyphenation that was inflicted upon her ceaselessly vis-a-vis Pakistan. But it suited the US to persist with hyphenation because it enabled them to pursue their own agenda; especially in the 80s and the time of the 'Bear Trap'; though they were sanguine that it was hardly valid any more.

Intriguingly the Soviets had recognised that it would be imprudent; even foolish to continue with hyphenation. That happened in the aftermath of Tashkent. They were far more prescient than the Americans as to how Asian affairs would swing.

Then the new millenium; 9/11 and events after that; have created an Indian official mindset that; both the "siamese twins theory" and "siblings hypothesis" are simply unacceptable. Both countries have diverged so far apart in both character and capability; that leave alone being written on the same line, its better not talk about them in the same breath. Which is the view that International Opinion has now grown to accept; but Mr. Zafar Hilaly has not been able to accept.

This view of mine only addresses the ethos of Mr. Hilaly's op-ed in post#1.
The other specific points can be addressed separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me here is my impression about Pakistan...I am not sure why politician from both nations always try to mess with the mindset of people..

1- Pakistan is a separate different nation which strives every day to become a nation of true or Good Muslim people.
2- It is good that separation has happened...Otherwise...I really doubt what will be the situation of India with 40% population with the Muslim people...This does not mean i have a bias towards Muslim people...But our democracy is a corrupt one...So political party would have exploited the situation and Hindu people will be left no where with 40% minority voting for a party that just appease them rather than thinking about development and progress..

3- For me I may want a good relation with Pakistan...But of course good relation means we can stay as neutral to each other..I donot want to see...each bomb blast is associated with Pakistan although there is high possibility that it can be done by Indian too...But just because Pakistan is presented as enemy in media so it is always an east scapegoat..So whenever Pak and Ind are neutral to each other...lot of the this kind of stuff will be gone from media...

4- Let us behave as if India and Pakistan are just not enemy to each other...Take the example of Sri Lanka...Sri Lanka is not a friend...but of course not an enemy either...

5- Once for all, let us confirm and close the discussion that Indian people does not respect Pakistan as a nation....This is a wrong notion...Indian nationalism is not at the cost of putting question mark on Pakistan rather..It is a assertive behaviors of our people to say that we are proud for whatever we have now...Rather just living in the past ....

Thats an interesting article.

This issue recently came up for discussion among my friends.
I will try to give my view point on various wrong assumptions made in this article and make some further comments.

So, should we build walls?

Let’s face it; Pakistan and India have incompatible mutual obsessions.Ours is Kashmir and security. What rankles with India is that we are still on the map of the world. Pakistan was not just a mistake in Indian eyes but an insult to the idea of India..

This is a fear complex of the writer/Pak masses speaking, encouraged by the in-proportionately powerful army.
Pakistan's existence does not rankle any Indian I know of.All we want from Pak is stop using its soil to breed terrorists to wage some kind of asymmetrical warfare in order to achieve impossible strategic goals i.e getting Kashmir.

India knows that only solution to Kashmir is status quo.We keep what we have and you keep what you have.Any major redrawing of boundary is not a viable geostrategic aim for either country.India knows this, and sooner Pak realizes this, better it is for them.
I will give an example.China and Japan have historical differences, around same time as differences b/w India-Pak begun.They are also haggling over the Senkaku Islands.However Japan, does not use terrorism to coerce China into accepting its position over the islands.Its because Japan knows a strong country like China will never give in to such tactics and ultimately the terrorists always end up working against the establishment.

Instead of rushing in where angels fear to tread I should have asked myself why Jinnah, who was about as areligious and secular a man as you would find in the Subcontinent suddenly had a change of heart and why this ‘Ambassador of Hindu-Muslim unity’ (Gokhale) preferred, in his own words, “a truncated moth-eaten Pakistan” to remaining within India
It was only when I was thrown onto the scrap heap that most retirees are and began reading intensively that the penny dropped and it occurred to me that the old fogies of the FO may have been right after all. They had roomed and schooled with their Indian counterparts; they had gone to college with them; they had eyed the same gals and knew and understood each other. And yet, this lot was convinced that for Muslims, Hindu majority rule was unacceptable. Were they all, to a man, mistaken? Surely not, I thought, and started looking for clues.

I guess this is just shows backward thinking.Many people from India immigrate to US/UK/Gulf.
Do they think about living in a Christian/Muslim majority rule when they migrate? No, because they have been brought up in a secular environment.One would expect such thinking from an illiterate simpleton, not a well educated open minded person.I guess we are seeing the effect of extremist teaching.

Consider what Jaswant Singh, a former Indian foreign minister and among the most intelligent of the lot India has had, confided to US Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbot privately during their extended conversations in the mid 1990s: As far as India was concerned, Pakistan was not just India’s sibling but its twin – born of the same womb. However, from the moment of its birth Pakistan had gone terribly and permanently wrong. According to Jaswant, Pakistan was a relatively small incurably troubled and incorrigibly troublesome state that dreamed of parity with India it would never attain or deserve.

Well Jaswant Singh is right here.Pakistanis are living in Cuckoo land if they think themselves to be equal of India.And what is more, they are trying to bring India down to achieve this parity rather than building up themselves, not realizing that this exercise is harming them more than it harms India.

Kashmir was “closed history” and a case study in the fraught history of Pakistan. It was not fitting as a topic for international diplomacy. Pakistan’s fixation with Kashmir should be understood as an objectification of Pakistan’s predicament as a lost soul among nations, an ersatz country whose founder’s only real legacy was a permanent reminder of what a tragic mistake partition had been.

This is writer's view and he is entitled to it.I think Partition was a ploy by British to keep India pre-occupied in South Asia, taking advantage of fragmentation of society at that time.But the bottomline is -it happened.And Indians accept it.Believe me seeing the condition of todays India and Pakistan no Indian would want Pakistan to be part of India..

Precisely, but the truth is that India isn’t really bothered whether it gets on with Pakistan.In Jaswant’s view it suffices that Pakistan is an illegitimate state and an illegitimate heir of British India and therefore can have no legal claim to the patrimony, certainly not in preference to that of the sole legitimate heir – Bharat.

This is the internal conflict of Pakistan many have talked about.First make it clear what is the heritage of Pakistan?Are you people descendants of Arabs, or the modern day incarnation of IVC forcibly converted to Islam by bin-Qasim? Or a mixture of both perhaps?
You move the goalposts where ever is suits you.You created a separate country saying it was for Muslims of subcontinent yet refused to take Muslims from Bihar and UP.You suppressed the Muslims of East Pakistan, forcing them to leave you.You said Pakistan would be a secular country but now Pakistan is one the most radical countries in the world.Then you said Pakistan is an Islamic Republic, and yet you have now turned against Shias and Ahmedis.You take pride in Arab achievements as your own yet you also claim Maharaja Ranjit Singh's Kohinoor.The contradictions are endless.

Perhaps that’s why very little has emerged from the composite dialogue. Agreements reached have not been concluded; every little molehill has been made into a mountain and used as a pretext to prolong talks. Even where agreements were signed their implementation has been delayed or suspended.

Yes India is dithering.Reason is that we see ourselves getting stronger in the future and would like to solve any disputes from a position of strength.

Viewed thus it is unrealistic to believe that we can achieve anything more than a modus vivendi with India in the foreseeable future. And perhaps not even then, if our internal decay shows no signs of abating and the prospect of us fracturing increases. India will want to wait and see what kind of an entity or entities will replace Pakistan.

I hope not.A strong Pakistan is in India's interest.

So let’s drop the notion that somehow if we keep talking things will mend.Keep talking by all means but let’s not have a delusional view of these talks and let’s also concede that there are few happy endings in the India-Pakistan saga. Frankly, the stronger and higher the walls between us neighbours, the better neighbours we will make.

Yeah.India has already built an electrified fence along Pak border.Iran is now doing the same, making Af-Pak the largest fenced-in area in the world.

A key question would be:

Would Pakistan have been as Islamist and Arab focussed had it still been a part of India?

It can be argued both ways.

I think Pakistan would not have been a sharia and mujahid idealizing nation had it been a part of India. Currently Pakistani's are like that because they are taught to hate diversity from school levels, taught about kafirs and conspiracy's from a young age. Being in a united India would have given them good cirriculum, exposure due to presence of a large number of people from other faiths and thus this xenophobia that they have now might not even have been possible to develop.

Conversely, if Pakistan had continued to be like it is now? Having sharia laws, blasphemy laws and Arab obsessed, then India would have been torn apart by Civil war, and possibly into many small nations, than the one big nation it is now.

So the question is: What do you think Pakistan and Pakistani's would have been like? @muse

Last edited by a moderator:
A key question would be:

Would Pakistan have been as Islamist and Arab focussed had it still been a part of India?

Islamist and Arab focused is not something that came about organically -- it was ordered into this focus by Zia and his Jamaati Nizam --- see, whenever you think about Islamism in Pakistan, always compare it with Islamism is Malaysia --- They are both part of the same effort and were incorporated about the same time -- but with very different ideas and intellectual history informing both

IMHO , Its good Pakistan is there . What has happened has happened . Make the most out of it .

In words of Silverstien ,

“All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' In The Sun,
Talkin' 'Bout The Things
They Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda Done...
But All Those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All Ran Away And Hid
From One Little Did.

It almost completely summarizes Relations between India and Pakistan . Stuck in the Past and thinking about the future but by and large doing nothing for the PRESENT excepted dropping words here and there on several occasions yearly .

Existence of Pakistan is good for US . It serves as a natural boundary between us and CRAZY MENA region + Afghanistan .

By good relations i mean only trade and travel nothing else . Pakistan can Help India access CAR's , whereas even if India allows its own market for Pakistani goods , India can by and large soak up large part of exports of Pakistan and can also help them reach easily to South East Asia .

Islamist and Arab focused is not something that came about organically -- it was ordered into this focus by Zia and his Jamaati Nizam --- see, whenever you think about Islamism in Pakistan, always compare it with Islamism is Malaysia --- They are both part of the same effort and were incorporated about the same time -- but with very different ideas and intellectual history informing both

I doubt it. Pakistani politicians have bowed before the Islamist parties before Zia came up. So to say that the entire blame lies on Zia is a falacy. And the reason why Pakistani politicians have bowed before Islamist demands can only be because the people supported those demands.

On a practical level though, Pakistan is the last country geographically on the globe that is Arab focused and Islamist in nature.
Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia are not. They are more or less progressive societies. Jamaati's notwithstanding in those countries ofcourse.

So as we are thinking about the focus of the thread, and it's interesting that it's of more interest to our Indian forum members than the Pakistani (possibly because Indian forum members can articulate, form sentences and paragraphs) -- the problem between Pakistan and India is that Pakistan think Kashmir is a problem between them, and the Indians think the problem between Pakistan a India is that Pakistan are from Mars (not quite from Mars but there about)

It's really interesting because if Indians decide they will not play Kashmir, where would that leave Pakistan?

So as we are thinking about the focus of the thread, and it's interesting that it's of more interest to our Indian forum members than the Pakistani (possibly because Indian forum members can articulate, form sentences and paragraphs) -- the problem between Pakistan and India is that Pakistan think Kashmir is a problem between them, and the Indians think the problem between Pakistan a India is that Pakistan are from Mars (not quite from Mars but there about)

It's really interesting because if Indians decide they will not play Kashmir, where would that leave Pakistan?

Apologies, i think i am thick headed because i did not understand the substance of your post. Would you please rephrase it.

PK - one more time, the problem between Pakistan and India is, according to Pakistanis, Kashmir - India from the 80's has moved out of socialism, become open to the world, is now an aspiring super power, Pakistan, from the 80's has moved to fro basket case, to hell hole - As India move along, they wave goodbye to a Pakistan that looks upon them from a cage, a cage of a murderous hate filled religiosity, stuck in time, in geography.

Every now and then, Pakistan can dial up the unease in Kashmir, but the Indian just won't play, where does that leave Pakistan?

Back
Top Bottom