What's new

Violence in Karachi

I agree - Afghans are big problem.They should be thrown out of Pakistan ASAP.Any Pakistani who wants them to live here should be shipped with them back to Afghanistan because honestly unlike other groups who migrated to Pakistan Afghans loyalty still lie with Afghanistan not Pakistan (Afghans= Afghanistan Nationals) otherwise there would not be any problem but as they say old habbits die hard Afghans still want to live like Animals in cities (they want to live like the way they used to live in afghanistan or far off areas of Pakistan ie a Kalashnikov on the back) but there are good afghans too and they are very very hard working people.

Patriot: on one hand you give us a hard slap and from the other hand a small peice of chocolate. if they are nationals of afghanistan, then you can expect them to be loyal to afghanistan, there is nothing strage or wr4ong about it. and for your information, we are not animals living like animals, poverty have made us live a difficult life, never wish to experience one day of it, being refugee in another country while your own country suffering from more than 3 decades of war should be an answer to your very irresponible comment. we never had a klashinkov culture or durg culture before this imposed war on us. it either came from the US, the soviets or pakistan and other countries.

dude you need to clam down and don't be offended..it's a fact.Karachi has largely been target of Afghan Immigration as compared to other areas of Pakistans because the way Afghans immigrate is Afghanistan>Balochistan>Sindh --- Karachi. Balochistan does not have a border with Punjab hence lower numbers here.OTOH KP is full of Afghans and there are many in Islamabad too.Mostly Taxi drivers.Pakistani Pushtuns largely remain in their own dominated province ie KP.

who is anp then?

Patriot: on one hand you give us a hard slap and from the other hand a small peice of chocolate. if they are nationals of afghanistan, then you can expect them to be loyal to afghanistan, there is nothing strage or wr4ong about it. and for your information, we are not animals living like animals, poverty have made us live a difficult life, never wish to experience one day of it, being refugee in another country while your own country suffering from more than 3 decades of war should be an answer to your very irresponible comment. we never had a klashinkov culture or durg culture before this imposed war on us. it either came from the US, the soviets or pakistan and other countries.
My friend i am sorry if i offended you but i just hate those idiots who want to live with weapons and feel proud of it.They are mentally bankrupt and hey its not just Afghanis this also includes MQM and Pakistani Pashtuns in NWFP and to some extent Punjabis but in much lower number.The biggest mistake afghanistan made was to get help from Pakistan/US which ruined Afghanistan.Soviets could have transformed Afghanistan to a modern day Turkey.We have done evil things too i agree with you.So i hope you understand my point.

thousands is nothing if we look at a large city like karachi with 18m population, the taliban could be the TTP runaway fighters, at the same time i dont deny the existence of good taliban in karachi either. lets dont put the problem of karachi on the afghans.

nothing to do with afghans, FATA guys are pakistanis.

That's exactly what i'm saying. Perhaps i got too politically correct and you wrongly assumed i was talking generally about the Afghans.

PC mode off/

The unruly members i was talking about were the ethnic Pakistani Pashtun community living in al-asif. Certain elements of the community tend to harbor the TTP men who escape from FATA. There is a small Afghan element too that is involved in this ****.

PAKISTAN: Sectarianism infects hospital wards

Mohajir ethno-linguistic group is preventing the Pashtun / Pathan ethno-linguistic group, and vice versa, from being provided medical care in hospitals:

KARACHI, 24 October 2010 (IRIN) - Religious, political and ethnic divisions have claimed hundreds of lives in Karachi, Pakistan's largest city, but also influence the chances of survival for the injured.

A doctor in the emergency ward of Civil Hospital Karachi, one of the city's largest public hospitals, told IRIN: "After a terrorism incident, we are under intense pressure. Earlier, we had the activists of various political parties threatening us in the emergency department to not treat the patients of their rival groups. They use all sorts of delay tactics, be it blocking the entrance to pounding on the doors and abusing the staff. Now, we also get calls [from the militants]."

Karachi violence continues

Security has been tightened in the city in the fresh wave of target killings. PHOTO: RASHID AJMERI
KARACHI: A fresh outburst of violence has claimed four more lives in Karachi today (Sunday). The firings took place in various parts of the city injuring five others.
Some of the areas which witnessed violence include Landhi, Eid Gah, Teen Hati and the Gulsan-e-Iqbal. Security has been beefed up in these areas to avoid any untoward situation.
These killings follow recent rumours that the police have arrested Lyari gangster Baba Ladla for whom the government was offering Rs1 million.
According to a report in The Express Tribune, this year has seen 1,100 violent deaths in Karachi. The only other time killings of this nature reached such numbers was in 1995 during Benazir Bhutto’s second tenure.

what is their population, and secondly i thought you blamed a fair share of the problem on them.

population is about 600K , afghans are the hardest working people i have ever seen or ever can imagine . Problem is they are not registered and where they live (offcourse its a mix of both pakistani pushtoons and afghan pushtoon) are no go areas ... you can find al from weapons to my good gues is anti aircraft weaponary now please excuse me i dont mean to pick certain ethnicity and please dont get offended but they are like in the past being used and abused by so caled "good taliban " on the name of Islam ...

Someone kick these Afghanis out of Karachi and back to Kabul. There needs to be a big operation in Lyari.

population is about 600K , afghans are the hardest working people i have ever seen or ever can imagine . Problem is they are not registered and where they live (offcourse its a mix of both pakistani pushtoons and afghan pushtoon) are no go areas ... you can find al from weapons to my good gues is anti aircraft weaponary now please excuse me i dont mean to pick certain ethnicity and please dont get offended but they are like in the past being used and abused by so caled "good taliban " on the name of Islam ...

Thanks for the information brother.

Someone kick these Afghanis out of Karachi and back to Kabul. There needs to be a big operation in Lyari.

You have every right to call on your gov to kick them out, but if you want to put the blame on the refugees then that is wrong. Do you know where will you deport Pakistani Pashtoons and ANP? They are one of the main parties involved in this partisan and ethnic violence.

Pakistani Pakhtuns have all the right to move to any city they want as long as they don't break any laws. These Afghani refugees were the people who introduced heroin and ak 47's now these guys have started land grabbing, transport mafia and terrorism. Instead of giving them so much freedom these refugees should be sent to camps and not big cities just like Iran does.

Pakistani Pakhtuns have all the right to move to any city they want as long as they don't break any laws. These Afghani refugees were the people who introduced heroin and ak 47's now these guys have started land grabbing, transport mafia and terrorism. Instead of giving them so much freedom these refugees should be sent to camps and not big cities just like Iran does.

lets be fair for a minute sir its mostly pakistanis who are the trouble makers rarely any afghans are caught its mostly pakistanis from various ethinicities & factions ... Afghans are used here

However i do agree that there is a urgent need need to register those people and more importantly the govt or the armed forces if any one is bothered to take control of these areas ..... the attitude of armed forces is neglacting and offcourse it seems on purpose. They know exactly whts going on where but they simply dont intervene that means one thing only they are a part of this stupid plan

Sindh Police to Get Phone Caller Location Technology​
KARACHI: Sindh Police Department will soon get the facility of cell phone caller location technology, which will help investigate terrorism and kidnapping cases.

Chairman, Standing Committee of National Assembly on Interior, MNA Abdul Qadir Patel, chaired the meeting. The PPO Sindh, Sultan Salahuddin Babar Khattak, Capital City police Officer Karachi; Additional IGs CID & Special Branch; Zonal DlGs; DlGs of CID and others attended the meeting.

The police authorities also pointed out towards absence of uniform policy in issuance of computerized/standardized motorcycle registration plates due to which the criminals avail undue advantage.

The committee extended assurance to take-up the matter at both the federal and provincial levels for a practical solution.

NA body was informed that due to pro-active policing and police response to the recent wave of killing in the city, 56 target killers have so far been arrested against 265 registered cases.

The committee was informed that peace committees have been organized at identified police stations, besides, establishing strong pickets and gearing-up intelligence network at local police stations to control killing of innocent people and arrests of those involved.

It was also informed to the meeting that because of coordinated police strategy 25 percent significant decline in street crimes has been witnessed.

During the year 2010, 734 encounters with criminals / dacoits took place as a result of which 514 gangs busted, 72 criminals / dacoits killed and 6002 criminals/dacoits arrested. The police also arrested 343 proclaimed offenders and 3884 absconders besides recovering 2 LMGs, 80 SMGs, 84 Rifles, 132 repeaters, 9 shotguns, 4042 pistols, 265 revolvers, 8 R.P.G, 59 Hand Grenades and 200 kg high explosives.

The chairman and members of Standing Committee appreciated efforts of Sindh Police in maintaining Law & Order situation following the pro-active policing.

The Standing Committee assured the IGP Sindh that all of their recommendations would be taken up at federal level and decided to further improve policing in the Province.

10-28-2010_73544_l.gif

One bleeding city, two grieving families. In a shabby apartment block in northern Karachi, Hina Muhammad and her sisters sat quietly in a darkened room, shaded from the light but not the pain.

Days earlier armed men whirled through the city's Shershah market, a sprawling maze of scrap shops, shooting traders at their stalls. Among the 12 victims killed were Hina's father, Umair, and two brothers, Umair and Zubair, all members of city's Urdu-speaking mohajir community.

"They were everything to us," she whispered, choking back tears. "Now we are lost."

Across the city, on the other side of the ethnic divide, another woman was in mourning. Jan Bibi cradled a portrait of her son Rehman, a 30-year-old labourer who was snatched off the street in the hours following the Shershah attack.
Jan Bibi holds a photo of her 30-year-old son Rehman, who was abducted and killed in Karachi. Jan Bibi holds a photo of her 30-year-old son Rehman, who was abducted, tortured and killed in Karachi.

The motive was ethnic: the Shershah killers were Baloch, as was Rehman; his abductors were presumed mohajirs in a suspected revenge attack for the earlier shooting. They slashed him with knives, shot him and dumped his body outside the Radio Pakistan building.

"They cut him like this," said his mother, her face hollow with grief, running a finger down her neck and across his face.

Karachi, Pakistan's combustible seaside metropolis, has a history of vicious street violence. But since 16 October at least 80 people have died in drive-by shootings, stabbings and murders. By one count more than 1,100 people have died on the streets this year – more than in Taliban suicide bombs across Pakistan.

A bewildering array of causes lies behind the violence, the most obvious of which are crime and ethnicity. With up to 18 million inhabitants, Karachi holds an allure for drug lords, weapons smugglers and extortionists. Neighbourhoods are sliced into turf zones whose borders are ruthlessly enforced.

The Shershah killings were carried out by Mullah Raju, a Baloch gangster seeking to increase his take of the market extortion racket. His enforcers showed no mercy. As motorcyle-riding gunmen swarmed between the stalls, traders scrambled to the rooftops seeking protection. One saw his neighbour plead for mercy. "They told him to open his mouth," the trader said, too frightened to give his name. "Then they shot him through it."

Behind the street brutality lies a struggle that extends into the hushed offices of the city's most powerful men. Guns and politics are intimately connected in Karachi; police and city officials say the recent turmoil is part of a thinly-veiled battle for control of the city itself.

"This violence is not random, it's fully controlled by the politicians," said one senior police officer. "They can turn the tap on. And they can turn it off."

The driving rivalry is between the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), which represents the mohajir majority, and the Awami National Party (ANP), which speaks for the ethnic Pashtun minority.

The MQM fears its domination of city politics is threatened by an influx of Pashtun migrants from the conflict-hit north-west. The two parties accuse each other of orchestrating the violence; others say both are responsible.

The link between guns and politics is most striking at the parties' headquarters, where suited men work in offices protected by steel doors, sandbags and burly, Kalashnikov-wielding guards.

At the ANP's headquarters, local leader Shahi Syed, a burly Pashtun with a clipped moustache, sat before a giant poster with the slogan "Peace on Earth". A closed-circuit television screen in the corner was trained on the front door.

The MQM was not a political party, he said: "They are a terrorist organisation".

The rhetoric was equally sharp at the heavily-guarded MQM headquarters, known as Nine Zero, where senior leader Faisal Sabzwari said the influx of Pashtuns was leading to the "Talibanisation" of Karachi – a reference to the arrest of militant suspects among the city's estimated four million Pashtuns.

"We must resist these extremists and exploiters of Karachi," he said.

When the rhetoric turns violent – as it has every few months this year — it is the innocent who die. After Raza Haider, a senior MQM parliamentarian, was gunned down at a funeral last August, the city was convulsed by a week of killings that left more than 100 people dead.

The latest violence was triggered by the byelection for Haider's seat on 16 October. The ANP boycotted the vote, the MQM won comfortably and 33 were dead by the time the polls closed.

The ruling Pakistan People's Party, the third leg of Karachi politics, might be expected to clean up the mess. It controls the government of Sindh province and the police force. But it is also engaged in Kalashnikov politics.

In Lyari, the main PPP stronghold in Karachi, the party's main backers are the Aman [peace] Committee, a self-styled community organisation widely considered a front for an armed group. Until last year the Aman Committee was led by Rehman Dakait, one of the city's most notorious gangsters, who had ties with the PPP.

Dakait was photographed with Benazir Bhutto before her death in 2007 and, more recently, with the Sindh home minister, Zulfikar Ali Mirza. He died in a shootout with police last year; his replacement is seen little in public.

"We are Bhutto lovers," said Peace Committee spokesman Shakeeb Baloch, proffering a business card emblazoned with Bhutto's picture. He denied any links to organised crime. "Not a single person on our committee has cases against him," he said.

The police, undermanned and over-politicised, are helpless to intervene. One senior officer said he could identify "80%" of the city's contract killers, but "only 1% are brought to justice".

There is intense political pressure on the senior officers, he said – "every arrest has to be approved" — while their juniors feared being gunned down in reprisal killings. Several complained of being targeted by MQM supporters. "We are stressed to the limit," he said.

The imbroglio is further complicated by national politics. The MQM is a member of the PPP-led coalition government, and has repeatedly threatened to withdraw its support from President Asif Ali Zardari — a move that could bring about the collapse of his government.

Most Karachi residents stress that the ethnic tensions are political and do not percolate down to their lives. "We get on just fine, among ourselves," said one Shershah trader.

As before, the violence has slowed to a trickle again. Last Monday two bodies wrapped in jute bags were dumped in a graveyard; on Tuesday a bullet-riddled corpse was discovered at a building site.

Few believe the worst is past. "This just a pause," said one police officer. "It won't last long".

Karachi's powerplayers

Karachi's combustible mix of ethnic politics, crime and violence is shaped by its vicious political competition.

• The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) represents the mohajir community that accounts for over half of Karachi's 18 million inhabitants. The party is tightly controlled by its leader, Altaf Hussain, from his exile in London (he says he fears for his life in Karachi).

• The rival Awami National Party (ANP) represents ethnic Pashtuns who mostly work on buses, as security guards and as manual labourers. The ANP claims there are four million Pashtuns in Karachi; they have just two seats in the provincial parliament.

• The smallest force is the ruling Pakistan People's Party, whose loyalists mainly come from the ethnic Baloch community.

Back
Top Bottom