What's new

Vietnam Economy Forum

true, sometimes one can´t ignore, and needs to respond to racism.

there is a saying in Taiwan: the mainlanders have the mood of a very angry vegetable :woot:

by the way, how good is your spoken mandarin now? :D

Ha ha, very true. My Putonhua is basic, I know the type of words and phrases that I need to use for my work there, but its not easy to do a conversation because of the tones. As you know, we, western people, we don't have tones that change the meaning of the word, so its very difficult to learn to pronounce the tones. Anyway, chinese language is not a priority for me, so I don't want to spend too much time trying to learn it in full. Not worth it.

Every time I go to China, I go from Danang via Hong Kong since there is a good flight from there and then I take a minivan from the airport to the mainland, so I always spend some time in H.K. and its a joy, what a difference. It will take a few generations for the mainland to get to that level (I'm talking about the people and the society, not the economy).

epa000436612-pham-thu-hang-l-miss-vietnam-universe-2005-and-veronica-FFRJM3.jpg

He definitely is a racist and likes to attack other cultures, so sometimes is necessary to respond. I just came 2 days ago from spending a whole month in China and frankly, I could not wait to get out of there. They are definitely slowly improving (as a people and as a society), but they have way, way long to go before they can get to the level of Taiwanese, Hong Kong or Singaporean people, etc, so after just coming from seeing that for a whole month, I had to respond to this delusional guy.

It has been a while since I visited China, but when I was there working, I had positive experience dealing with many Chinese. Some went out of their way to help me when I played the role of a lost tourist wandering the streets of Shenzhen and Guangzhou. I had a difficult time convincing many Chinese that I was not Chinese. My poor Chinese speaking skill and vocabulary plus terrible accent (as some of my associates hinted at) failed to convince them that I was not huaqiao (overseas Chinese.) I found Hong Kong people much less friendly.

It has been a while since I visited China, but when I was there working, I had positive experience dealing with many Chinese. Some went out of their way to help me when I played the role of a lost tourist wandering the streets of Shenzhen and Guangzhou. I had a difficult time convincing many Chinese that I was not Chinese. My poor Chinese speaking skill and vocabulary plus terrible accent (as some of my associates hinted at) failed to convince them that I was not huaqiao (overseas Chinese.) I found Hong Kong people much less friendly.

Any experience is valid and different people are bound to have different experiences, but for me is the opposite. I've been to China at least 60 times, also in Shenzhen and Guangzhou. In H.K. I find people friendlier than in the past actually if compared to lets say 15-20 years ago, particularly young people. I can also say that Vietnamese people are a lot friendlier than Chinese people (generally speaking of course, there is the good, the bad and everything in between everywhere). Chinese are quite serious in comparison, take a while to open up. Just my experience.

Last edited:
photo85910452PM.jpg

IT applications are used in teaching.
http://vietnamnews.vn
Viet Nam News

HCM City – The Mekong Delta city of Cần Thơ plans to solicit investment in and offer incentives to the information technology industry.

“The Mekong Delta provinces have not got any high-tech park with proper infrastructure like HCM City and Hà Nội though human resources for the industry are plentifully available,” Võ Hùng Dũng, director of the Việt Nam Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Cần Thơ branch, was quoted as saying by Thời báo Kinh tế Việt Nam (Việt Nam Economic Times) newspaper.

"They would like to develop the industry but have not been able to launch any project with a comprehensive incentive policy.”

Last year out of 571 projects in which the region solicited investment, only two were in IT.

In March last year the Government approved the “National Targeted Programme on developing IT industry by 2020 with vision to 2025”.

Cần Thơ’s development and incentive policies are likely to be in line with this programme.

Việt Nam has become an attractive destination for high-tech companies and many have come, including Japan’s Sanyo, Matsushita, Sony, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Panasonic, and Nidec, the US’s Intel and Microsoft, and South Korea’s Samsung and LG.

All of them have factories with modern technologies in the country and continue to expand production.

HCM City houses most of the high-tech companies in its Sài Gòn High-tech Park (SHTP).

As of April SHTP had 100 factories, including those belonging to Intel, Samsung, Nidec and Jabil.

Last year its exports were worth US$4 billion, four times the 2011 figure.

The average output of a worker in SHTP is 9.8 times that of workers in other industrial parks and one hectare creates an export value of $14 million. -- VNS

This is in-line with convention, 'Industrialization & Modernization' that every country progresses. This is realism! Bringing people out of poverty by economic transformation.

Three provinces want to build high-speed railway connected to China

Nghia said at the cabinet meeting on July 1 that the ministry would consider and submit to the government for consideration and approval.

The construction of high-speed railways in north Vietnam and the connection of the railway between Vietnam and China has been discussed many times.

In late 2015, in a meeting with the Ministry of Transport, Lang Son province’s officials said the Chinese had said that they would give fund for the Lang Son – Hanoi high speed railway, if Vietnam has such a project.

“The Chinese partner said that the Hanoi – Lang Son railway is used for both passenger and cargo boats so the speed is not high and they want to have a high speed railway of up to 200 km per hours,”said Party Secretary of Lang Son Tran Sy Thanh Son at that time.

Another issue discussed at the government meeting is the mobilization of capital for transport infrastructure development, particularly the North – South high-speed railway project.

Minister Nghia admitted difficulties in seeking capital for transport development.

He said the transport sector currently focuses on restructuring the forms of transport and investment. In the past five years, investment in road transport was huge while investment for inland waterway was very low.

“We should focus on strengthening the infrastructure of waterways. In the southwestern region, waterway transport contributes up to 70-75% of transport capacity,” said Nghia.
Linh Nhat

Formosa unit suspected of burying untreated waste in central Vietnam
http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/formosa-unit-suspected-of-burying-untreated-waste-in-central-vietnam-64111.html
anh1hlgh_HZTP.jpg

Authorities in the central province of Ha Tinh said they are looking into allegations that a unit of Taiwanese firm Formosa buried industrial waste in a private farm with the help of the property's owner.

The scandal came as Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Corp. (FHS) is still struggling with a public relations disaster following mass fish deaths in the central region.

Vo Ta Dinh, director of the provincial Department of Natural Resources and Environment, said Tuesday that authorities had unearthed around 100 tons of muddy waste allegedly disposed of by FHS in a farm.

The farm, which grows mostly banana and cajuput trees, is owned by Le Quang Hoa, the director of state-owned Urban Environment Company in Ky Anh Town.

Dinh said samples of the waste were collected for testing.

Authorities also confiscated equipment used to bury the waste after inspecting the farm on Monday.

According to local police, Hoa’s company signed a contract to transport waste from the construction site of a new FHS steel factory to two licensed waste treatment plants in the province.

The questions that investigators will try to answer are why the waste ended up in Hoa’s farm and whether it is toxic.

Hoa told Thanh Nien the waste was not toxic and that trees could grow on it.

FHS, a subsidiary of Taiwan's Formosa Plastics, has been in hot water over the past two months after an estimated 70 tons of fish were found dead and washed ashore in April in four central Vietnamese provinces Ha Tinh, Quang Binh, Quang Tri and Thua Thien-Hue. It was accused of discharging toxic waste into the sea.

FHS accepted responsibility for the environmental disaster and promised to pay US$500 million in compensation late last month.

Experts believe it will take years, if not decades, before the regional marine environment can fully recover from the toxic spill.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/business/160275/nuclear-power-plant-still-on-schedule.html

Nuclear power plant still on schedule

rosatom_01.jpg

Vietnam’s first-ever nuclear power plant, Ninh Thuan 1 in the south-central province of Ninh Thuan, remains on track for being built and beginning operations by 2028.

In response to comments from the plant’s foreign partner about a possible delay, Mr. Hoang Anh Tuan, Director General of the Vietnam Atomic Energy Agency at the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST), confirmed that no official decision has been made on delaying the project.

“The schedule is still set for 2028,” Mr. Tuan told VET, with construction to begin in 2022 or 2023.

It often takes five or six years to build a nuclear power plant turbine, he added, and the government must seek National Assembly approval on commencement once all preparatory works are completed.

The foreign partner, Russia’s State Nuclear Energy Corporation (Rosatom), suggested some days ago that the schedule may be delayed.

“We were initially working towards a construction date of 2022 or 2023 but we have heard that this is likely to be delayed until 2027 or 2028,” local media quoted Mr. K.B. Komarov, Deputy General Director of Rosatom, as saying on July 3.

Though no official statement has come from the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT), the Master Plan VII on National Power Network Development, released in March this year, states that “the first turbine for Vietnam’s nuclear power plant will be put into operation in 2028.”

Rosatom has developed 42 nuclear turbines with a further eight now under construction in Russia, together with 34 nuclear turbines/reactors being developed in 13 other countries.

As at the end of 2015 its investment portfolio was reported to total $110 billion and is estimated to increase 20-25 per cent by the end of this year.

In 2010 it signed an inter-governmental agreement with MoST on the construction of the nuclear power plant.

“As far as we know, the draft feasibility study has been completed and submitted to the government for consideration,” Mr. Komarov said on July 3, adding that he came to Vietnam in mid May to meet MoST on the issue.

The government on July 6 established an Inter-Ministerial Evaluation Council chaired by Minister of Planning and Investment Nguyen Chi Dung to supervise the project building the Nuclear Science and Technology Center, which is being developed by MoST.

The nuclear power plant is expected to have a capacity of 4,600 MW with output of 32.5 billion kWh by 2030, accounting for 5.7 per cent of the country’s total power output, according to Master Plan VII.

October 2010: Vietnam and Russia sign a cooperation agreement on the construction of a nuclear power plant with two units.

November 2011: An agreement on building the Center for Nuclear Energy Science and Technology (CNEST) is signed.

March 2012: A further cooperation agreement on transferring nuclear fuel waste from the research nuclear reactor to Russia is signed.

August 2015: Atomstroyexport - NIAEP from Russia and Electricity of Vietnam sign a framework agreement on the first stage of construction of the Ninh Thuan 1 nuclear power plant.

September 2015: Documents regarding location approval and the feasibility study for Ninh Thuan 1 are submitted to the government by EVN.

March 2016: Changes to Master Plan VII are passed by the government, with the first turbines at Ninh Thuan 1 to be put into operation in 2028.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/sc...ts-ic--semiconductor-industry-in-vietnam.html

Conference boosts IC, semiconductor industry in Vietnam

20160629094458-it.jpg

Jointly organised by the Integrated Circuit Design Research & Education Centre (ICDREC) under the Vietnam National University in Ho Chi Minh City (VNU-HCMC) and the US Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the two-day events are part of efforts to boost Ho Chi Minh City’s 2013-2020 IC Development Programme.

They offer a chance for both domestic and foreign scientists, researchers, engineers and students in the IC and semi-conductor industry to meet and share experience.

They also aim to call for the involvement of institutes, universities and businesses nationwide in make environmentally-friendly integrated circuits and semi-conductors.

Le Thai Hy, Director of the municipal Department of Information and Communications, said that the development of Vietnam’s electronic industry mainly relies on the assemblage of imported components, which is not a firm foundation for sustainable development.

Therefore, Ho Chi Minh City started its 2013-2020 IC Development Programme, which is on the right track and producing positive results, thus helping affirm the city’s leading position in the Vietnamese IC industry, he added.

Deputy head of the VNU-HCMC Huynh Thanh Dat stated that the semi-conductor industry plays a core role in the electronic sector, with annual growth of over 10 percent. As such, Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh City in particular have carried out preferential policies and mechanisms to attract more investment in this industry.

Apple Mulls Building in $1 Billion Data Center in Da Nang
Tuan Minh

12:24 05/08/2016

BizLIVE - Apple Inc. is interested in building a data center worth $1 billion in Vietnam’s central province of Da Nang.
apple2_gaus.jpg

Apple plans to open an R&D center in Vietnam. Photo: Softpedia

U.S. tech giant Apple Inc. has shown keenness to build a database center costing $1 billion in a hi-tech park in the Vietnamese central province of Da Nang, one of the five largest cities in the Southeast Asian country, local media quoted the city’s portal as saying.
The information was unveiled at a meeting of the local government on foreign direct investment (FDI) on August 4. However, the detail was removed from the portal on Friday morning.
In March this year, local media reported that Apple had plans to invest up to $1 billion to build an Asia-focused database center in Vietnam, set to operate as a Research & Development (R&D) facility, to enhance its competitiveness over major global electronics manufacturers present in the country.
Given the fast-growing tech savvy users in Vietnam, Apple established its wholly-owned subsidiary, Apple Vietnam LLC, in Ho Chi Minh City last October.
The firm is headed by Gene Daniel Levoff, Apple Inc.’s vice president of corporate law and director. He is also in charge of Apple’s international operations.
According to a headhunting firm, Apple recently announced vacancies for iPhone distribution director and iOS retail director in Vietnam, fanning hopes that the U.S. multinational firm will open stores in the Southeast Asian country.

Challenges for Việt Nam sea strategy
Update: August, 08/2016 - 09:00

DSCN541218072001PM.jpg

Tourists in Hạ Long Bay, one of Việt Nam’s biggest draws. The country has long strived to tap its immense maritime potential to become a rich marine economy. — VNS Photo Đoàn Tùng
Viet Nam News
Thúy Hiền

HÀ NỘI - Việt Nam has long strived to tap its immense maritime potential to become a rich and strong country based on its marine economy. Yet this goal comes with its own challenges due to a lack of sustainable development solutions.

In 2007, the 10th Party Central Committee adopted Việt Nam’s Maritime Strategy towards 2020 to further enhance a sea-based economy and protect national sovereignty over islands and seas. The strategy set out a goal that sea-based economic sectors will make up 53-55 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) while per capita income in coastal areas is expected to double the average of the whole country by 2020.

Now, nine years down the line, the sea-based economic sector has considerably contributed to the national economy.

Across the country, home to a 3,260km coastline and nearly 3,000 islands, there are 44 seaports with a designed capacity able to handle 470-500 million freights per year. Six coastal economic zones incorporating a variety of sea-based industries were developed during 2013-2015. Government policies in developing fishing and aquaculture have resulted in a considerable increase in the number of iron-clad and wood-clad fishing vessels for offshore fishing. Sea tourism contributes up to 70-80 per cent of the whole tourism sector, capitalising on the long beautiful coastline and famous resort islands.

However, experts say the development of a sea-based economy is still carried out with a mindset of ‘exploitation’, rather than ‘efficient and sustainable development’.

Exploitation has been mostly focused on substance-form or living natural resources, while intangible values of the marine eco-system and marine space do not receive due attention.

Assoc. Prof. and Dr. Nguyễn Chu Hồi, former Deputy General Director of Việt Nam Administration of Seas and Islands said the thought of ‘take-it-all’ and ‘kill-it-all’ in marine-resource exploitation has led to a rapid degradation of the natural environment and exhaustion of resources, including the country’s key resources of oil and gas.

“Marine biodiversity is depleted to an alarming level. Aquatic product reserves in our seas have reduced by 16 per cent compared to in 2010.

“To make matters worse, the sea environment is being threatened by both natural

and man-made disasters like oil spills, red tide, or toxic pollution,” he said.

The recent environmental disaster in four central provinces by wastewater discharge from Hưng Nghiệp Formosa Hà Tĩnh Steel Company clearly shows a big loophole in management and supervision of industrial projects in terms of their environmental protection aspect.

“We are falling short of balancing environmental protection and economic development. We are still prioritising short-term over long-term interests,” Hồi said, adding that the incident also showed the lack of a national plan to prevent and tackle marine environmental disasters.

Scientists and environmentalists said it was high time the authority carried out thorough screening of investment projects right at their initial phase. The environment should not be traded for economic interest, they said.

Minister of Environment and Natural Resource Trần Hồng Hà agreed with the opinion. He admitted shortcomings in assessing environmental impact reports of investment projects, saying that they had so far been just a formality in order for projects to attain approval from the authority.

He said the Government and the ministry would work to repair the loopholes and set out specific regulations for investment.

“We must take into consideration how much a project spends on production, and how much on environment,” he said, adding that in the coming time, the ministry would lay emphasis on attracting investment on clean and renewable energy as well as environmental projects.

Lack of co-ordination

Another matter of concern in the development of a sea-based economy is the lack of co-ordination in policy making and implementation among localities, regions, and industries.

Experts say this makes development plans dispersed and ineffective despite the fact that the government has come out with many solutions regarding this matter.

Hồ Công Hường, from the Institute of Development Strategy (Ministry of Investment and Planning) said it was crucial to clearly divide roles and responsibilities among related parties or entrusting a certain party the highest responsibility in carrying out certain policies or solutions.

He also raised the issue of protecting offshore fishermen whose role is vital in a

sea-based economy as well as in protecting national sovereignty over islands and seas, amidst a recent increase of incidents involving illegal fishing in international waters or attacks on fishermen.

He asked for an issuance of a single governmental document that covers safety protection, consular assistance, guarantees and insurance – all matters that help better guarantee fishermen’s interests.

“This will be sort of a handbook for fishermen when they go to sea. In case incidents occur, both in international or domestic waters, fishermen will know to what extent the government could be involved to help. It will make it easier for both the government and fishermen to solve problems,” he said. — VNS

Read more at http://vietnamnews.vn/economy/300796/challenges-for-viet-nam-sea-strategy.html#ZJ8jTFmQchT0Xfky.99

---------------------
Shrimp exports fall 15% below target, far worse than expected

Thursday, 08/04/2016, 16:20
VOV.VN - Shrimp exports for the first half of 2016 have fallen 15% short of the target, according to an announcement by the Vietnam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers (VASEP).

Overseas consignments for the six-month period ended June 30, 2016 stood at US$1.4 billion, up US$200 million from US$1.2 billion for the corresponding period in 2015 and a full US$250 million short of the US$1.65 billion target.

In a nutshell, shrimp exports dropped 29% for the six-month period January 1-June 30, 2015 and the current year target was overly optimistic, set to regain all of that loss plus 4%, said VASEP.

However, that didn’t happen and exports for calendar year 2016 are now on track to see a full US$500 million shortfall from the original budget—if they don’t turn around in the second half of the year, said VASEP.

Truong Dinh Hoe, secretary general of VASEP, said the overall drop is primarily the result of weaker than anticipated demand in the US and other major markets.

He said saltwater intrusion brought about by the worst drought in nearly a century in the Mekong Delta has further reduced shrimp supplies and negatively impacted exports as valuable fish farming hectarage has been destroyed.

The depreciation of the euro following Brexit, weaker economic conditions in China and devaluation of the yen, among other things, he said, also played a role in the weaker than expected figures.

He said the supply situation in the global market has eased the price of shrimp. The average unit price of frozen shrimp fell to US$8.28 per kg for the six-months against US$10.38 for the same period in 2015.

The latest data casts significant doubt about whether the 2016 annual target of US$3.3 billion for shrimp exports is achievable so it was lowered 10%, or by US$300 million, to US$3 billion.

Even the lower annual target of US$3 billion may be overly bullish as it still represents a 12% jump, or US$3.21 million rise, over the year 2015 total shrimp exports of US$2.68 billion.

This means that the second half of 2016 would need to outperform the first half by US$200 million, a figure that is highly unlikely to materialize and maybe the annual target should have been adjusted downwards by a full US$500 million.

On a positive note, he said, sales to the major US market regained much of the ground it lost ground in 2015 during the first two quarters of 2016, and is hopeful that the upward swing will continue throughout the remainder of the year.

The major markets that experienced positive growth included China-Hong Kong 41.8%, the US 13.8% and the EU 6.5%.

The US is the biggest importer of shrimp around the globe. During the first half of this year, the market spent US$2 billion on shrimp imports. Indonesia was the largest supplier of shrimp for the US, trailed by India, Thailand and Vietnam.

He said Vietnam and the US in July 2016 resolved key litigation stemming from antidumping duties that set the stage for enhanced future exports.

Assistant US Trade Representative Barbara Weisel, who headed the US delegation in the settlement talks, applauded the deal as an important stepping stone for the future of Vietnam-US trade.

“We welcome the resolution of this long-standing issue,” she said in a statement “This agreement demonstrates the commitment of the United States and Vietnam to address outstanding issues as we work to take our relationship to the next level.”

To be prepared to tap opportunities presented by the settlement, shrimpers should take extra precautions to strictly comply with regulations on food safety and technical standards of foreign markets, said Secretary General Hoe.

VOV

Korean electronics firms rush to open plants in Vietnam
Published : 2016-08-09 17:49
Updated : 2016-08-10 09:39

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160809001008

South Korean tech firms are rushing to expand their investment in Vietnam in line with their effort to build a new production base in the Southeast Asian country.

South Korea's Seoul Semiconductor Co. has won a license to invest $300 million to build a semiconductor production factory in northern Vietnam, industry sources said Tuesday.

20160810000409_0.jpg
Last week, the provincial government of Ha Nam gave the green light to Seoul Semiconductor to build the 750,000-square-meter production site that will house a semiconductor factory and a light-emitting diode assembly line, they said.

Under an investment plan released by the Seoul-based firm, a total of $300 million will be injected into building the site by 2019 to conduct research and produce semiconductors, the sources said.

"Vietnam was chosen because it will help us meet the global demand for LEDs and secure a competitiveness in production costs," a Seoul Semiconductor official said.

Industry sources forecast that the firm's move is to provide components to other South Korean tech firms, which already have made inroads into the Southeast Asian country.

According to the sources, South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics Co. produces between 40 and 50 percent of its smartphones at its two factories located in Bac Ninh province, northern Vietnam, and Thai Nguyen.

In early 2015, Samsung Electronics began building a consumer electronics production complex in the southern city of Ho Chi Mihn.

The complex covers the production of TVs, air conditioners, washing machines, refrigerators and other home appliances. Assembly lines for TVs began operating earlier this year.

Samsung also plans to relocate parts of its TV production lines in Malaysia and kimchi refrigerator lines in South Korea's Gwangju to this complex.

Samsung Electronics will expand its investment size there from $1.4 billion to $2 billion by 2020, the sources said.

In return, the city government of Ho Chi Minh decided last week to give further tax benefits to the tech giant, they said.

Seoul-based LED manufacturer Lumens Co. will begin operating its factory in September located in the southern province of Binh Duong which is currently under construction.

Lumens currently produces LEDs that are used for various products ranging from televisions to smartphones. The company also works with Samsung Electronics.

LG Electronics Inc., South Korea's No. 2 tech giant, also opened a new production base in Haiphong, a northern port city of the country, that will manufacture the company's key products for exports.

The 800,000-square-meter Vietnam Haiphong Campus will allow LG to produce price-competitive electronics, including its globally sold smartphones and TVs, the company said. It plans to spend US$1.5 billion on the complex through 2028.

South Korean flat-screen maker LG Display Co. also plans to build a new production line in Haiphong with $1 billion and begin production next year.

Vietnam stands out as an attractive investment destination as a monthly minimum wage is about 59 percent that of China.

Also, the Southeast Asian country has a population of over 90 million and 60 percent are in their 30s or younger.

"Vietnam has a very good investment condition as labor cost is very cheap and 54 million is a labor population," said Park Byung-book, chief of the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency's branch office in Hanoi. "Tech firms are increasingly making inroads into Vietnam, which used to be favored by textile or sewing firms in the past."

Also, KOTRA said the Vietnamese government is making various efforts to lure more South Korean investments. (Yonhap)

That's true @Carlosa.
I observed by my own eyes.
The characteristics:
1. High tech
2. Massive investment
3. Vendor for best brands on earth
4. Most of parts/ products into export.

farewell, tribute to Rupert Neudeck, the man, who co-founded Cap Anamur, saving endless lives from the rough sea in the 1970s. the western viet community in Germany would not exist without him. we owe him a big thank, big respect. He died last May, aged 77.

04.08.2015_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom