What's new

Vietnam Economy Forum

I must tell you, it is guy like you made this system work, hahaha.
I never in my life pay the bribery to have a job, my wife now in banking system never paid a single cent for any of her job.

Promote the right thing and fighting the bad, my friends.
Dont pay.

Corruption existed in nearly most of country in a specific period, no matter you like it or not, South Korea still suffer it.
The gap between rich and poor in Vietnam is very small several year after war. It is increasing rapidly, that is bad.
yes , i agree, when i saw sentences which was wrote by AViet : "Have you ever been harassed or asked for bribe by a government staff, or all you know are "I heard that from cafeteria with my friends or read from Internet". Have you ever been to Hanoi to work with a government office, and which one? Do you understand the history of Vietnam? " i only want to prove : it isnt right

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/taiwan-lawmakers-urge/2878124.html

[/b]Taiwan lawmakers urge Formosa probe over Vietnam fish deaths[/b]

TAIPEI: Taiwanese lawmakers urged the government on Thursday (Jun 16) to investigate local conglomerate Formosa's possible role in mass fish deaths in Vietnam, as activists said industrial pollution from its multi-billion dollar steel plant could have caused the environmental disaster.

If Formosa is behind the tonnes of dead fish that began washing up along Vietnam's central coast two months ago, it could jeopardise new President Tsai Ing-wen's signature policy of promoting investment in Southeast Asia in a bid to reduce Taiwan's economic reliance on China, lawmakers said.

"There will be no end of trouble", for the so-called Southbound Policy if Tsai's new government doesn't carefully address widespread concern among the Vietnamese public over the incident, said senior lawmaker Su Chih-feng of the ruling Democratic Progressive Party.

The fish deaths have devastated local fishermen and caused public anger in communist Vietnam, including rare public protests which were broken up by authorities, who arrested scores of activists.

Vietnam's state-run media initially pointed the finger of blame at Formosa's steel plant in central Ha Tinh province, but has since back-peddled.

The government has carried out tests but not yet announced an official verdict on the causes of the fish deaths, prompting many activists to allege a cover up.

POOR TRACK RECORD

Formosa has a poor track record of environmental scandals spanning the globe, from Texas to Sihanoukville, Cambodia. It has also been accused of causing pollution in Taiwan, including a petrochemical complex in southern Yunlin where Su used to be county chief.

Authorities in Taiwan need to step in and ensure the company meets "international environmental, human rights and labour standards", said Chang Yu-yin, chief of the Environmental Jurists Association, a Taiwanese organisation.

David Wang of Taiwan's department of investment services, said the island had offered to assist the Vietnamese government's own probe into the fish deaths but the help was declined.

Son Doong Cave the 'World's Largest'

The central province of Quang Binh achieved a turnover of VND179 billion (US$8.1 million) in tourism, an increase of nearly 90 per cent compared with 2014. It is reported that Son Doong Cave tours are full for all of 2016

Foreign ambassadors of Australia, Sweden, Italy, the United Kingdom, the Czech Republic and Argentina participated in the weeklong expedition.

The trip, organised by the External Culture and UNESCO Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is expected to help Việt Nam promote tourism to Quảng Bình and the rest of the country.

Swedish Ambassador Camilla Mellander told Việt Nam News that the cave was “magical” and the most beautiful place on earth she has seen.

British ambassador Gilles Lever, who was inspired by Sơn Đoòng’s magical beauty, composed a song about the cave.

Let's us now sigh in awe;

caves-3_2948996k.jpg

caves-20_2948974k.jpg

caves-16_2948986k.jpg

caves-11_2948979k.jpg

caves-7_2948997k.jpg

caves-15_2948985k.jpg

Sorry to tell you, but I have the same right to be in Vietnam and give my opinions same as the Vietnamese living in Spain, whether you like it or not.

And in terms of not knowing this and that, I only need to know what the Vietnamese people around me say all the time and what I hear from nearly everybody (except those that are part of the system and benefit from the corruption) is that they are sick and tired of the government corruption and bureaucratic nonsense. I also read several Vietnamese newspapers to have a feel for things. Even the Vietnamese newspapers report (even that they are under government censorship) all the time about the widespread corruption. What did the business associations of Vietnam keep saying all the time about what their main issue is about doing business in Vietnam? CORRUPTION

And you pretend to lecture us and tell us that this is not so? Do you live in Vietnam? Or are you blind? Or you are part of the system? Which one is it, because you have to be in one of those 3 situations to be so ignorant about what's going in Vietnam. If you talk like this to Vietnamese, they'll laugh at you.

Thank you for the information, good info, its good to know.

This guy has some lose screws in his head.
Thanks carlosa. I am laughing at him. This is beyond ignorance. It is 21st century people should know better.

Thanks carlosa. I am laughing at him. This is beyond ignorance. It is 21st century people should know better.

These are the type of people that allow the system to continue, they place a false nationalism ahead of a sense to self criticize and improve. Others are simply brainwashed, but the majority is smart enough to see what's going on. I can say a lot more, but I live in VN and as you can understand, you have to be careful when it comes to talking.

These are the type of people that allow the system to continue, they place a false nationalism ahead of a sense to self criticize and improve. Others are simply brainwashed, but the majority is smart enough to see what's going on. I can say a lot more, but I live in VN and as you can understand, you have to be careful when it comes to talking.

I do. However, it would be a test for the VCP to prove that they do honor their words about freedom of speech and human rights because that is ultimately going to affect TPP and weapon sales. It is a condition imposed to Vietbam by the US. If they arrest you for this, you can bring it up to US embassy and UN. I would.

I do. However, it would be a test for the VCP to prove that they do honor their words about freedom of speech and human rights because that is ultimately going to affect TPP and weapon sales. It is a condition imposed to Vietbam by the US. If they arrest you for this, you can bring it up to US embassy and UN. I would.

To honor their words about freedom of speech is one of the things that I expect that they will not honor. I'm pretty sure about that. They will simply hope that USA will look the other way and give priority to the geostrategic importance that VN has for USA. I think they can get away with it.

To honor their words about freedom of speech is one of the things that I expect that they will not honor. I'm pretty sure about that. They will simply hope that USA will look the other way and give priority to the geostrategic importance that VN has for USA. I think they can get away with it.

Like Obama was saying. If they don't learn to take criticism from people, re-evaluated, and learn from mistakes then there is no way they can improve it. But I know what you are saying. I really think US doesn't care about Vietnam much but they do care about Chinese's rise and using Vietnam to counter China's rise is a strategy without costing US's lives and money. Vietnam is a bait.

US is brilliant. This is why human right is so important. It can be used as a weapon.

Last edited:
Hey, how about the US and EU. When do you think freedom of speech (read: too much opinions to be satisfied) will lead both continents to either

1. Breakup into smaller states and eventually, satellite states to China and Russia
2. Far-right, or fascist governments will hold the power and stop all the nonsense about human right and freedom.

Seems that more than half of the UK agree with me. Next time, Sweden and Austria, maybe. And finally, Germany.

Within ten years, millions of EU citizens may flock to East Asia to do low-level jobs, since their lower IQ level and hence, lower educated, make them not be able to compete in high-tech. I hope that Vietnamese government will never adopt such "multi cultural" and "human right" trash ideologies from West and my daughter with never have to marry a Westerner.

Vietnam grabs market share from Asian peers in European trade

Vietnam took market share of European Union trade away from other Southeast Asian nations last year, a trend that may continue after it concluded a free trade agreement with the regional bloc.
The country accounted for 19.1 percent of the 201.4 billion euros ($227 billion) in total trade between the EU and members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, or Asean, in 2015. That figure is up from 15.8 percent in 2014, according to data from the EU delegation in Singapore.
“Vietnam is one of the growing markets and we’ve seen a very positive development with our trade relationship with that country,” Michael Pulch, EU ambassador to Singapore, said in an interview on Wednesday. That growth coupled with the finalization of the free trade pact “points to a dynamic trade relationship in the future,” he said.

marketshare_psjv.png

Signs of Vietnam’s trade prominence are growing: in 2014, the country overtook its Asean neighbors to become the biggest exporter to the U.S., powering ahead of traditional manufacturing hubs like Thailand and Malaysia. Vietnam has capitalized on shifting production patterns in Asia as labor costs in China rise, attracting investment from companies such as Samsung Electronics Co., which assembles and exports smartphones from the country.
While EU trade with Singapore, which is still the bloc’s biggest partner in Southeast Asia, increased last year, its market share of total trade fell to 24.1 percent from 25.1 percent. Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia also lost market share to Vietnam.

Growing population
Vietnam is the second country in Asean after Singapore that the EU has concluded a free trade pact with. Exports from Vietnam to the EU are dominated by phones, electronic products, footwear, clothing and coffee.
Sluggish economic prospects in advanced countries have pushed investors to search for opportunities in markets that are benefiting from faster growth and younger populations, such as the Philippines and Vietnam.
Vietnam “has higher levels of income and is generally more developed,” said Pulch. “Some of the products that we can offer now can find a broader audience.” The Southeast Asian nation has also matured into demanding more advanced technologies, which Europe is still a key provider of, he said.
Total EU trade with Asean rose 12 percent last year. China’s trade with the European regional bloc amounted to 520.8 billion euros in 2015, more than double that of Asean’s trade, according to EU data.
The EU has targeted Vietnam and Singapore in a new business initiative aimed at exposing small and medium-sized companies in Europe to opportunities in Southeast Asia. The EU will help facilitate meetings between companies in the two regions in industries ranging from water to food and beverages.

German firms now favor Vietnam over China, India: survey

German companies think Vietnam offers more favorable conditions and opportunities to investors than China, India or other Southeast Asian countries, according to a new survey.
“German enterprises are now seeking for investment opportunities and for further investment in Vietnam, because they see Vietnam as an attractive destination,” said Marko Walde, chief representative of the Delegation of German Industry and Commerce in Vietnam.
According to the World Business Outlook Survey 2016, more than half of German companies in Vietnam were positive about the future of the economy and 70 percent described their business situation in the country as "good."
As for future plans, 54 percent of German investors said they may increase their investment in Vietnam while 58 percent intended to hire more employees.
However, the survey found some factors that may hold foreign investment back, including shortages in skilled labor and rising wages.
The delegation suggested "a modern and practical vocational training system that meets the demands of companies in order to create a sustainable advantage to attract investors to Vietnam."
Vietnam also needs to support its companies so that they can compete with their peers from other countries, especially in the context of the ASEAN Economic Community, the Trans-Pacific Partnership and other free trade agreements, it said in a statement released Tuesday.
The World Business Outlook Survey is conducted by the German Chamber Network worldwide. This year's edition involved around 3,400 German companies.

@Carlosa

Mass fish kill in Vietnam solved as Taiwan steelmaker accepts responsibility for pollution
By South-East Asia correspondent Liam Cochrane, wires
Posted about 11 hours agoThu 30 Jun 2016, 11:50pm

Photo: A villager collects dead fish on a beach in the central province of Thua Thien Hue. (AFP)

At a media conference, a Government official played a video clip of the chairman of Formosa Ha Tinh Steel expressing regret and saying his company accepted "full responsibility".

"Violations in the construction and testing operations of the plant are the causes for serious environment pollution killing a massive amount of fish," Government office chief Mai Tien Dung said.

The damage was apparently caused by the testing of a new wastewater system at the steel plant.

The company promised to pay $670 million in compensation.

The Government said that the latest findings found the toxins that leaked into the ocean were cyanide, phenol and ferrous hydroxide.

Government officials denied engaging in any cover-up to protect a big investor and said the delay in reaching a conclusion was to ensure certainty.

ABC/Reuters

@Carlosa

Mass fish kill in Vietnam solved as Taiwan steelmaker accepts responsibility for pollution
By South-East Asia correspondent Liam Cochrane, wires
Posted about 11 hours agoThu 30 Jun 2016, 11:50pm

Photo: A villager collects dead fish on a beach in the central province of Thua Thien Hue. (AFP)

At a media conference, a Government official played a video clip of the chairman of Formosa Ha Tinh Steel expressing regret and saying his company accepted "full responsibility".

"Violations in the construction and testing operations of the plant are the causes for serious environment pollution killing a massive amount of fish," Government office chief Mai Tien Dung said.

The damage was apparently caused by the testing of a new wastewater system at the steel plant.

The company promised to pay $670 million in compensation.

The Government said that the latest findings found the toxins that leaked into the ocean were cyanide, phenol and ferrous hydroxide.

Government officials denied engaging in any cover-up to protect a big investor and said the delay in reaching a conclusion was to ensure certainty.

ABC/Reuters

As everybody already knew that it was them.

Initially, they tried to cover things up, but after the protests where hundreds of people got arrested and the fact that it was clear that nobody believed their initial statements that it was the red tide and that they didn't have any proof of Formosa wrongdoing, it became clear to them that they had a hot potato in their hands, so they had to do the right thing, as they did. Actually, they lost credibility since it was pretty clear that they wanted to hide the truth and it doesn't take 3 months to figure things out. At least they came through in the end.

Within ten years, millions of EU citizens may flock to East Asia to do low-level jobs, since their lower IQ level and hence, lower educated, make them not be able to compete in high-tech. I hope that Vietnamese government will never adopt such "multi cultural" and "human right" trash ideologies from West and my daughter with never have to marry a Westerner.

Sure, unemployed workers in Europe get between 70 to 90 % of their former salary depending on what country, plus high quality FREE health care and a lot of other social benefits that regular vietnamese could only dream about, but according to you, they are going to move to Vietnam to work for $150 a month and no health care or other benefits.

You are pathetic man, every time you open your mouth, you show how mentally damaged and ignorant you are. Keep dreaming with your Confucian superior race fantasy, I guess you love to live in an alternate universe.

Sorry to tell you man, but if your daughter is like a typical Viet girl, she might ended up with a western guy since lots of Viet girls look for westerners for marriage. Just check out http://www.vietnamcupid.com

Outch...... that must hurt.......

@Carlosa, actually I don´t mind if AViet is a dreamer or not, delusional or whatelse, but since he repeatedly sounds like a racist with idea of Han supremacy, I don´t know what to say.

@Carlosa, actually I don´t mind if AViet is a dreamer or not, delusional or whatelse, but since he repeatedly sounds like a racist with idea of Han supremacy, I don´t know what to say.

He definitely is a racist and likes to attack other cultures, so sometimes is necessary to respond. I just came 2 days ago from spending a whole month in China and frankly, I could not wait to get out of there. They are definitely slowly improving (as a people and as a society), but they have way, way long to go before they can get to the level of Taiwanese, Hong Kong or Singaporean people, etc, so after just coming from seeing that for a whole month, I had to respond to this delusional guy.

He definitely is a racist and likes to attack other cultures, so sometimes is necessary to respond. I just came 2 days ago from spending a whole month in China and frankly, I could not wait to get out of there. They are definitely slowly improving (as a people and as a society), but they have way, way long to go before they can get to the level of Taiwanese, Hong Kong or Singaporean people, etc, so after just coming from seeing that for a whole month, I had to respond to this delusional guy.
true, sometimes one can´t ignore, and needs to respond to racism.

there is a saying in Taiwan: the mainlanders have the mood of a very angry vegetable :woot:

by the way, how good is your spoken mandarin now? :D

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom