What's new

Vietnam Economy Forum

Vietnamese group Hoa Sen Group to build $10 bln steel plant on south coast
By Ngoc Tuyen August 29, 2016 | 04:10 pm GMT+7

Steelmaking.jpg

The plant’s capacity is double the size of Taiwan’s Formosa steel factory.

The Ministry of Industry and Trade has given permission for Hoa Sen Group, Vietnam’s largest sheet steel producer, to build a $10-billion plant in the southern coastal province of Ninh Thuan.

The plant will be capable of producing 16 million tons of steel per year, larger than Vietnam’s total steel output of some 15 million tons in 2015, and more than double the capacity of Taiwan’s now-infamous Formosa plant.

Hoa Sen Group plans to construct the plant in five phases from 2017 to 2031. Upon completion, the plant will generate about 45,000 jobs.

The project was approved amid growing public concern of the environmental impacts Taiwan’s Formosa plant had on a 200 kilometer stretch of the country's central coastline in April this year.

However, the company promised that it will work with local authorities to control sewage treatment and build a modern waste water treatment system.

Vietnam previously granted an investment certificate for the plant to a joint venture between the state-owned Vietnam Shipbuilding Industry Group (Vinashin) and Malaysia’s Lion Group.

It was the largest foreign-invested project licensed at the time with total investment of $9.8 billion.

Ninh Thuan Province revoked the investment certificate in 2011 after the two parties withdrew from the project due to financial difficulties.

Vietnamese group Hoa Sen Group to build $10 bln steel plant on south coast
By Ngoc Tuyen August 29, 2016 | 04:10 pm GMT+7

Steelmaking.jpg

The plant’s capacity is double the size of Taiwan’s Formosa steel factory.

The Ministry of Industry and Trade has given permission for Hoa Sen Group, Vietnam’s largest sheet steel producer, to build a $10-billion plant in the southern coastal province of Ninh Thuan.

The plant will be capable of producing 16 million tons of steel per year, larger than Vietnam’s total steel output of some 15 million tons in 2015, and more than double the capacity of Taiwan’s now-infamous Formosa plant.

Hoa Sen Group plans to construct the plant in five phases from 2017 to 2031. Upon completion, the plant will generate about 45,000 jobs.

The project was approved amid growing public concern of the environmental impacts Taiwan’s Formosa plant had on a 200 kilometer stretch of the country's central coastline in April this year.

However, the company promised that it will work with local authorities to control sewage treatment and build a modern waste water treatment system.

Vietnam previously granted an investment certificate for the plant to a joint venture between the state-owned Vietnam Shipbuilding Industry Group (Vinashin) and Malaysia’s Lion Group.

It was the largest foreign-invested project licensed at the time with total investment of $9.8 billion.

Ninh Thuan Province revoked the investment certificate in 2011 after the two parties withdrew from the project due to financial difficulties.

I think Vietnam has a good chance to beat Indonesia as the most dominant player in SE Asia. Vietnam is more unified and has Confuscius thinking whereas Indonesia is backward Muslim thinking. If it wasn't for Indo-Chinese, they would be one of the poorest country on earth.

I think Vietnam has a good chance to beat Indonesia as the most dominant player in SE Asia. Vietnam is more unified and has Confuscius thinking whereas Indonesia is backward Muslim thinking. If it wasn't for Indo-Chinese, they would be one of the poorest country on earth.
In Vietnam, we often compare Vietnam economy with Thai ( not Indo) Maybe Indo less of the impaction to Vietnam than Thai ( Thai is near our country). has a big gap between two countries, I don't think Vietnam can surpass Thai or Indo in near future. Indo has the big population, it is their challenge also chances. Look at Indonesia's city, Modern and bigger than Hanoi and HCM city

In Vietnam, we often compare Vietnam economy with Thai ( not Indo) Maybe Indo less of the impaction to Vietnam than Thai ( Thai is near our country). has a big gap between two countries, I don't think Vietnam can surpass Thai or Indo in near future. Indo has the big population, it is their challenge also chances. Look at Indonesia's city, Modern and bigger than Hanoi and HCM city

Bigger but may not be safer. But I been to Vietnam and even gone to "bad" area like district 4 but i felt safe. In indonesia only few good parts for foreigners. Bali and parts of Jakarta. Everywhere else, you're asking to get beheaded and kidnapped.

Operation seduction for François Hollande in Vietnam for contracts in the aerospace and energy
AFP
Publication: 09/06/2016 3:40 CEST Update: 09/06/2016 5:23 CEST
n-FRANCOIS-HOLLANDE-VIETNAM-large570.jpg

, the main challenge is to balance the trade between the two countries , a considerable deficit at the expense of France .

"The aim (of the visit) is the economic cooperation with Southeast Asia where growth is exceptional, but also the culture and the Francophonie," explained the end of August the head of the French state. Despite a "tumultuous history", in his own words, economic, cultural and academic relations are close.

But they remain marked by a trade deficit widened further last year, to 2.6 billion euros against 2.4 billion in 2014 while, at the same time, French exports have almost doubled (+ 85%). "The idea is to try to correct this imbalance extremely important," they explained to Paris on the eve of the visit.

A contract for Airbus to $ 6.5 billion

To do this, Francois Hollande will be joined in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City a good forty business leaders including Bregier (Airbus) or Henri Poupart-Lafarge (Alstom).

Just hours after their arrival on site, Airbus announced the sale of 40 aircraft to three Vietnamese companies. The low-cost vietjet air company will buy 20 Airbus A321s, the national carrier Vietnam Airlines 10 A350 and its first agreement with Airbus low-cost Jetstar Pacific will purchase 10 A320. "These contracts represent a value of $ 6.5 billion," said the spokesman Airbus Asia.

A number of agreements and contracts could later be entered in the aircraft industry, infrastructure, renewable energy or health.

In late August, Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang was known for his part in international cooperation, with France in particular, for maintaining peace in the South China Sea to contain the territorial appetites of Beijing in this area.

NGOs protest

But Paris has reacted very cautiously, noting that the European Union, possible player in this international cooperation, was "rather preoccupied at the moment by other regions" of the world.

On the eve of the visit of François Hollande, three NGOs have also sent an open letter to French president to "express their greatest concern about the serious violations of human rights" in Vietnam and call it " raise the issue "during his visit.

The last visit date for a French head of state went back to Vietnam to that of Jacques Chirac in 2004, fifty years after the Geneva Accords that ended the war in Indochina.

http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2016/0...utm_hp_ref=france&ncid=tweetlnkfrhpmg00000001

+++
Airbus 40 aircraft ordered by three Vietnamese companies
> Economy|September 6, 2016, 7:20|6
6097411_airbus_1000x625.jpg

HANOI (VIETNAM), SEPTEMBER 6. Fabrice Bregier (left), the CEO of Airbus, greets the boss of Vietnam Airlines after signing a memorandum of understanding to François Hollande and his Vietnamese counterpart Tran Dai Quang.

(AFP / Kham).

Airbus intends to use the Vietnamese growing market. The European aircraft manufacturer has just announced the sale of 40 of its aircraft to three airlines on the sidelines of the visit of François Hollande in the country.

The low-cost vietjet air airline will buy twenty Airbus A321, the national carrier Vietnam Airlines has signed a letter of intent for ten A350. Finally, its first agreement with Airbus, the low-cost Jetstar Pacific will buy ten A320.

"These contracts represent a $ 6.5 billion value", welcomed Sean Lee, spokesman for Airbus Asia. They were signed in the presence of François Hollande and his Vietnamese counterpart Tran Dai Quang.

The South East Asia, including Vietnam, is a growing market for low-cost airlines, due to the increasing weight of the middle class who frequent flyers for the first time.

Launched in 2011, VietJet first private airline in Vietnam is expanding and has already won more than 25% of domestic flights. In November 2015, she had already signed a contract to buy 30 single-aisle A321 for € 3.3 billion euros.

In May, on the sidelines of the visit of Barack Obama in the country, the company announced the purchase of 100 Boeing 737 MAX 200 for $ 11.3 billion.

The US aircraft manufacturer Boeing estimates that the region will need 3,750 new aircraft over the next 20 years, with a preference for single-aisle aircraft popular with low-cost airlines.

Leparisien.fr with AFP

http://www.leparisien.fr/economie/a...nes-06-09-2016-6097411.php#xtor=AD-1481423553

+++

@Carlosa @Viet @xiao qi @others

Sis, Its not difficult to surpass Thailand, believe me, I know Thailand very well. Foreign investment and the chinese business class is what made Thailand into what it is now, but its in decline now. Their contradictions and their usual ways of doing things is finally catching up with them. They are an extremely lazy and irresponsible people. They have very serious issues to deal with now. They are going nowhere. I can say a lot but it would be off topic. Vietnam can certainly learn a few things from Thailand (like their social security system, the public health care system, etc), but give it some time and Vietnam will easily pass Thailand.

Don't forget that Vietnam started many years later than the other countries in the region. The war ended in 1975 and the end of the blockade and the opening up of the country in 1990. Thailand started in 1945 after the end of ww2 and their country was intact, not destroyed like Vietnam. That's a 45 year difference.

Vietnam needs time, there are quite a few challenges, but it mainly needs time.

Airbus helps develop aviation industry in Vietnam

VNA Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 16:22:10 Print

1435732132331.jpg

Vietnam Airlines A350 XWB of Airbus

Hanoi (VNA) – The world’s leading aircraft manufacturer Airbus has said its President and CEO Fabrice Bregier signed several agreements with Vietnamese partners to help the country develop the aviation industry.

The French company chose Nikkiso Vietnam, a Hanoi-based firm, as its partner in manufacturing specific components for wide-body aircraft, and signed a contract with Artus Vietnam – a subsidiary of Meggitt PLC – on assessing the possibility of providing spare parts for Airbus in the next 10 years.

Meanwhile, NAVBLUE – an Airbus subsidiary – inked a protocol with the Vietnam Air Traffic Management Corporation to improve the efficiency of Vietnam’s air traffic control system, especially in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

Additionally, a memorandum of understanding was signed between Airbus and the University of Science and Technology of Hanoi (USTH), in which the French company will assist the university in establishing an aviation faculty.

It also partners with the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology in training MAs on flight safety management.

Speaking at the signing ceremony, Fabrice Bregier, who is accompanying French President Francois Hollande during his State visit to Vietnam, said that Airbus wishes to increase its presence in the industrial production in Vietnam and support the country in bettering its air traffic management as well as its education in this area.

Airbus started operations in Vietnam in 1990 when its A320, the first aircraft manufactured in western countries, was used in the country.

Last year, the national flag carrier Vietnam Airlines became the first carrier in East Asia and the second in the world to operate the new generation A350 XWB of Airbus.

The company’s operations in Vietnam have so far provided job opportunities for about 550 skilled local workers, Bregier said, adding that the figure is set to double by 2020, making Vietnam Airbus’ most important Southeast Asian partner.-VNA

SEP 7, 2016 @ 12:39 PM
Vietnam Poised To Be Asia's Next Economic Tiger
Ed Fuller ,
CONTRIBUTOR
I write about global tourism, hospitality and business.
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

960x0.jpg

Ho Chi Minh City (Shutterstock)

For many of my generation, Vietnam remains a complex enigma, depending on our personal experiences and memories of the country.

I arrived in Vietnam in 1970 as a U.S. Army captain and was immediately overwhelmed by the country’s natural beauty and the genuine warmth and hospitality of the local Vietnamese. I was a member of MACV, the U.S. Military Assistance Command, and had many opportunities to work with the Vietnamese military and other Allied countries.

At the time, I was based in an area called the Vietnam Central Highlands (Military Region Two) which covered Cam Rhan Bay, Nha Trang, Qui Nihon, Ban Me Thout, Pleiku Phan Rang etc., all names that became familiar to anyone at home who watched the evening news or one of Bob Hope’s iconic USO Christmas tours on TV.

My responsibilities took me to many cities and bases throughout the country and whetted my lifetime appetite for learning about Asian cultures, people and countries.

With a history that can be traced back roughly 4,000 years, I discovered Vietnam offers a rich tapestry as the basis of its culture. I learned that the Vietnamese believe in the teachings of Confucius which emphasizes the importance of relationships, responsibility and obligation. As I became further acquainted with Vietnam’s history, what stood out for me was its more than 2,000-year struggle against foreign invaders and, possibly more importantly, the ability of the Vietnamese people to learn from their occupiers and finally overcome foreign rule.

After the war, the Vietnamese explained their apparent lack of resentment toward the U.S. this way: “Why should we resent the Americans? We fought the Chinese for 1,000 years, the French for 100 years and the Americans for 10 years.” Is it any wonder then that, today, the U.S. is Vietnam’s main trading partner?

I returned to Saigon, Vietnam out of curiosity in 2006. Marriott was working on a hotel but negotiations were going badly, so I paid my own way over. It was an eye-opener for me. That visit was the first of about 14 trips I have made to the country since, including one in 2008 on which I accompanied U.S. Secretary of Commerce Carlos M. Gutierrez on an official Mission to Vietnam.

Asia’s Next Economic Tiger?

Today, Vietnam is poised to become Asia’s next economic tiger. Like South Korea, Taiwan and China before it, Vietnam is piecing together the right mix for rapid, sustained growth.

As was reported in the Economist this past August, “foreign direct investment in Vietnam hit a record in 2015 and has surged again this year. Deals reached $11.3 billion in the first half of 2016, up by 105% from the same period last year, despite a sluggish global economy. Big free-trade agreements explain some of the appeal. But something deeper is happening.”

Since 1990, Vietnam’s economic growth has averaged nearly 7% a year, second only to China. This growth has propelled the country from among the world’s poorest to middle-income status. If the Vietnamese can turn in an annual 7% growth rate for another decade, it would be similar to that of China and the other Asian tigers. But today Vietnam stands at the crossroads. As the Economist noted, should its annual growth rate fall back to 4%, Vietnam could “end up in the same league as Thailand and Brazil.”

What Vietnam has going for it

What Vietnam has going for it are its 92 million people, most of which are young (median age is 30.7) and skilled. Public spending on education is about 6.3% of GDP, higher than the average for most low- and middle-income countries. Spending is focused on ensuring high enrollment and achievement and it’s paying off handsomely. In global rankings, 15-year-old Vietnamese children regularly beat those in America and Great Britain in math and science. All this comes in handy in Vietnam’s factories where workers must handle complex machinery.

Another positive factor is the country’s geography. Its border with China, once a fierce military foe, is now a competitive advantage because, as the Economist notes, no other country is closer to the manufacturing heartland of southern China, with connections by land and sea. Rising Chinese wages make Vietnam an obvious substitute for firms moving to lower-cost production hubs.

Finally, Vietnam is party to a number of trade deals. The Economist reports that it will be the biggest beneficiary of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 12-country deal that includes the U.S. and Japan, should it be enacted. But even if the pact fails, Vietnam has other agreements with the EU in the works and one with South Korea that went into effect last year.

What About Tourism?

Today, tourism is playing an increasingly significant role in Vietnam’s development, contributing more than $16 billion to the local economy last year, or about 9.3% of GDP, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC).

With its goal of attracting 55 million domestic and foreign tourists a year by 2030, Vietnam introduced a visa exemption policy last year, offering waivers to travelers from 22 European and Asian countries, including Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia and nine ASEAN member states, among others. The rule allows these visitors to enter Vietnam without a visa, provided their stay is for 15 days or less.

Additionally, a raft of major infrastructure and transport projects are planned over the next 15 years including seven new tourist development areas as well as waterways in Haiphong City and Quang Ninh Province and a rail link to China’s Yunnan Province. Plans to target regional infrastructure upgrades are expected to be advanced further, thanks to a series of bilateral agreements signed with Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar last year to work on joint regional tourism initiatives.

As a result, analysts predict the hotel rooms supply will increase over the next three years. Property consultancy CBRE expects the number of hotel rooms in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and Hanoi to grow by 8% a year through 2018. The WTTC is equally optimistic with its most recent report predicting annual industry growth of 6.2% over the next decade. Job creation is also expected to expand with direct tourism employment growing about 2% a year through 2025.

It’s been almost 50 years since I first walked on Vietnam’s soil. While the circumstances in those days were less than ideal, I’m thrilled by what’s transpiring today. In the hotel business, when we evaluate a property for development, we first look to see if it has “bones.” Vietnam always has had the “bones.” It’s great to see the development vision bringing Vietnam’s economic future to its fullest potential.

Thanks all foreigner here for your sweet words about Vietnam, but we Vietnamese know best about our situations. I am confident in our people and our government, but the truth is, the road ahead is not rosy at all.

Many people like to cite corruption as the main obstruction to Vietnam's development. In fact, it is the easiest way to blame the government for the people in many backward countries.

However, corruption is not so important to a country's development. Many other countries, even highly developed countries, may have higher level of corruption than Vietnam. In Vietnam, it is quite easy to see because corruption occurs openly at low level, kind of "tea money", but at high level, I do not think the corruption level is high. In other countries, corruption is vice-versa, almost non-existent at low level but extremely popular at high-level. China is normally cited as a country with high corruption level, but everyone can see how fast they grow. And very highly developed countries like Japan or Germany are not free of corruption at all.

In my opinion, the main obstruction to Vietnam growth is clear now. It is repeating other South East Asian countries' roads, like Thailand or Malaysia, i.e. providing cheap labors to foreign companies but cannot create its own companies, I mean technology companies, not service companies.

China's story is very different. Since early 20th century, it started to manufacture, based on foreign licenses, equipment, machineries, aircrafts, etc. And even in their turbulent times, the product quality were still very good, proving the quality of their workers. The Phoenix bicycle was better and much more expensive than Peugeot bicycle in Vietnam in my childhood. Many equipment and plants China sold or helped North Vietnam to build in 1960s - 1970s have functioned very well until today.

Not to mention that, in some sectors, like garment and textile, it has always been the leader of the world. Vietnam technology in this sector today is still behind China's technology in 1960's.

Last edited:
The more rosy picture about Vietnam portrayed on Western media, the less true it is about Vietnam's growth.

In fact, I would believe in Vietnam becoming a developed countries, in the sense of real industry powerhouse, when Western media paint a dark picture about us, like copyright violation, pollution, human right, poor quality and so on, i.e. they feel threatened by our competitiveness.

Anyway, more rosy than the future of Europe, I believe. EU is finished and its future is grey at best. The US, I am not sure, but not so rosy. It can go Brazil's way when the yuan topples the dollar as the most used currency, or 10-20 years after China' economy surpasses its.

Last edited:
Wishing all Vietnamese members Happy Mid-Autumn Festival.

Vietnamese snapping up traditional, modern moon cakes ahead of Mid Autumn Festival
New China TV

Published on 15 Sep 2016
As the Mid-autumn Festival is nearing, moon cake stands have been popping up on street corners of Vietnam's big cities to satisfy the demand of local consumers.

Bigger but may not be safer. But I been to Vietnam and even gone to "bad" area like district 4 but i felt safe. In indonesia only few good parts for foreigners. Bali and parts of Jakarta. Everywhere else, you're asking to get beheaded and kidnapped.
Lol, what you said is total bullshit, indonesia is a tourist destination and not just bali but the whole region of indonesia, proof what you said boy, indonesia is not phillipine!!

Lol, what you said is total bullshit, indonesia is a tourist destination and not just bali but the whole region of indonesia, proof what you said boy, indonesia is not phillipine!!

Are you saying Indonesia is safer than Vietnam? The favourite destination spot of Bali have seen bombings. But i will not post the pics here. Starting from 2002, 150 people died from night club. Than more recently,

upload_2016-9-15_19-16-36.png

Here's list through the decades:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Indonesia#2000s

I'm sure PH is safe. How safe is PH @Cossack25A1 ?

Are you saying Indonesia is safer than Vietnam? The favourite destination spot of Bali have seen bombings. But i will not post the pics here. Starting from 2002, 150 people died from night club. Than more recently,

View attachment 334749

View attachment 334749

If your talking about terorism it could happen anywhere, paris, new york, jakarta and else where, now can you prove any kidnapping and beheading that you said earlier!!??
If not, shut the f*ck up!!

Back
Top Bottom