What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Question to Vietnam:

Now that N.Korea has made/copy of the Kh-35 anti-ship missile, do you think they will the missile 's engine technology to Vietnam. I know Russia transfer technology for the Kh-35 to Vietnam without the engine technology. Or maybe, Russia will sell this technology to Vietnam at cheap price.

Now that N.Korea has made/copy of the Kh-35 anti-ship missile, do you think they sell will the missile 's engine technology to Vietnam. I know Russia transfer technology for the Kh-35 to Vietnam without the engine technology. Or maybe, Russia will sell this technology to Vietnam at cheap price

Question to Vietnam:

Now that N.Korea has made/copy of the Kh-35 anti-ship missile, do you think they will the missile 's engine technology to Vietnam. I know Russia transfer technology for the Kh-35 to Vietnam without the engine technology. Or maybe, Russia will sell this technology to Vietnam at cheap price.

Now that N.Korea has made/copy of the Kh-35 anti-ship missile, do you think they sell will the missile 's engine technology to Vietnam. I know Russia transfer technology for the Kh-35 to Vietnam without the engine technology. Or maybe, Russia will sell this technology to Vietnam at cheap price
Maybe, our cooperate with North Korea always in secret lines for most of time ...

Soviet made Su-100 tank destroyer
unbelieveable that the stuff still works today.
10377236_553946848061613_5095843422221051827_n.jpg

Question to Vietnam:

no clue. perhaps from Burma as the article from the diplomat suggests?
Who Sold North Korea a New Anti-Ship Missile? | The Diplomat

VN can produce two variants: Kh-35 with a range of 130km and the advanced version x-35 with 300km.
Ten_lua_X_35_1.jpg

Vndata: Vietnam starts producing its 300km range anti-ship missile

Last edited:
Soviet made Su-100 tank destroyer
unbelieveable that the stuff still works today.
10377236_553946848061613_5095843422221051827_n.jpg

I think you can use them in military training only. In modern warfare, Su-100 an T54, T55,... are just mobile coffins. If you want to prepare for a war in future, you must replace them by better weapons as soon as possible.

I think you can use them in military training only. In modern warfare, Su-100 an T54, T55,... are just mobile coffins. If you want to prepare for a war in future, you must replace them by better weapons as soon as possible.
that is true. we need modern main battle tanks. there are reports VN is looking to buy Russian made T-90.
But I think the army should avaluate more alternatives bofore deciding.

For example, recently Vietnam has chosen Israel Galil 31/32 ACE assault rifles over Russian AK-100 models. Tanks other countries such as Israel´s Merkava or German´s Leopard are very good choices, too.

The TT400TP was produced to undertake four missions: wipe out all enemy battleships, protect army bases of landing crafts, protect civilian vessels, and for patrolling purposes.

DHC-6 patrol plane Air Brigade 954 established in Cam Ranh bay
eUHz4wiE.jpg

khidXp7l.jpg

bunkers somewhere in the SC Sea
10384363_554412771348354_7321429374296038497_n.jpg

deploying of heavy artillery
10463968_554281731361458_7912111714337824406_n.jpg

Last edited:
that is true. we need modern main battle tanks. there are reports VN is looking to buy Russian made T-90.
But I think the army should avaluate more alternatives bofore deciding.

For example, recently Vietnam has chosen Israel Galil 31/32 ACE assault rifles over Russian AK-100 models. Tanks other countries such as Israel´s Merkava or German´s Leopard are very good choices, too.

One issue with the Merkava and Leopard is that they are a bit too heavy for many of the Vietnamese roads. The Merkava at 65 tons and the Leopard ll at 62 tons is significantly more than the T-90 at 47 tons. Also, much of the terrain in North Vietnam and southern China is mountain, hilly terrain which is difficult for heavy tanks. The T-90 is a good choice for Vietnam, but Vietnam also needs a light tank that is designed for that type of terrain. The Chinese recently developed a light tank adapted to mountain terrain because of the same reasons.

The Merkava and the Leopard ll are also significantly more expensive than the T-90.

Last edited:
the Cam Ranh port is now ready for the all foreign warships. the first: Russia :-)
Money can flow.

World
June 17, 15:33 UTC+4
itar-tass

The visit to Cam Ranh is the last foreign stopover for the Pacific Fleet convoy on the way back home.

1045861.jpg

Big anti-submarine ship Marshal Shaposhnikov
© ITAR-TASS/Yury Smityuk

Gallery
14 photo

Russia's Pacific fleet in photos

CAM RANH, June 17. /ITAR-TASS/. Russia’s Pacific Fleet convoy, which was on a combat mission in the Indian Ocean, arrived at the naval base Cam Ranh in the central Vietnamese province of Khanh Hoa on Tuesday.

The mission of the naval convoy, including big anti-submarine ship Marshal Shaposhnikov, middle-sized sea-going tanker Irkut and rescue vessel Alatau is to build up naval cooperation with Vietnam, replenish food, drinking water stocks and to provide for leisure of sailors.

The visit agenda of Russian naval sailors in Cam Ranh envisages meetings with the leadership of the province and the command of the 4th naval district of the Vietnamese People’s Army. Russian naval sailors will have a volleyball friendly match with a team from the 4th Vietnamese naval district.

The visit to Cam Ranh, where a logistic base of the Pacific Fleet, the largest Russian foreign naval base, had been located for 23 years before May 2002, became the last foreign stopover for the Pacific Fleet convoy on the way back home.

Since mid-March, the convoy under the flag of Assistant Commander of Primorsky multi-service force Rear Admiral Vladimir Dmitriyev participated in an international anti-piracy mission off Somalia’s coast in the Gulf of Aden. Earlier, Pacific naval forces represented Russia at large-scale Komodo multilateral exercises to eliminate aftermaths of natural disasters which were held off Indonesian coast.

The return of warships to a permanent base at the Russian Far Eastern port of Vladivostok is planned for early July.

ITAR-TASS: World - Russia Pacific Fleet convoy calls at Vietnam military port Cam Ranh

One issue with the Merkava and Leopard is that they are a bit too heavy for many of the Vietnamese roads. The Merkava at 65 tons and the Leopard ll at 62 tons is significantly more than the T-90 at 47 tons. Also, much of the terrain in North Vietnam and southern China is mountain, hilly terrain which is difficult for heavy tanks. The T-90 is a good choice for Vietnam, but Vietnam also needs a light tank that is designed for that type of terrain. The Chinese recently developed a light tank adapted to mountain terrain because of the same reasons.

The Merkava and the Leopard ll are also significantly more expensive than the T-90.
you are right. Merkava and Leopard are too much heavy for our infrastructure, more than our roads and bridges can absorb.

it will be a nice if Russia gives us the technology and let the tanks to be produced in VN. We need a lot of tanks, some 1,000 pieces to replace the current inventory. the new tanks should not be able to operate in Vietnam terrain, but other potential countries terrain as well: China, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand.

there is speculation that VN army has received some T-90s for testing.

you are right. Merkava and Leopard are too much heavy for our infrastructure, more than our roads and bridges can absorb.

it will be a nice if Russia gives us the technology and let the tanks to be produced in VN. We need a lot of tanks, some 1,000 pieces to replace the current inventory. the new tanks should not be able to operate in Vietnam terrain, but other potential countries terrain as well: China, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand.

According to some people the T-90 is already deployed in Vietnam, but of course there is not going to be any official confirmation as usual. I don't know what version it is, T-90 A, AS or MS. I hope they have a good air conditioning system, India is having a lot of problems with that.

Getting technology transfers from Russia to produce the T-90 would be nice, but I suspect that it might have to involve a big number of tanks and that might be an issue for Vietnam to have to make a big financial commitment like that. I think Vietnam will just order small batches here and there and also continue upgrading the T-54 / 55 as it is already doing. Regrettably, there are so many areas where big money needs to be spent, but there is only so much dong.

Laos and Cambodia have very bad infrastructure, a light tank would do better there for the most part. On the other hand, Thailand have a very good road system, so no problem for the T-90 there, ha ha.

Second hand Merkava MkIII and Leopard 2 is much-much-much more cheaper than T-90, and Merkava Mk IV is not that expensive my friend who worked for Indonesian army think-thank has been revealed their price is comparable to T-90, including ILS, training support and everything you need to make those Merkava working within 6 years after sales.

Second hand Merkava MkIII and Leopard 2 is much-much-much more cheaper than T-90, and Merkava Mk IV is not that expensive my friend who worked for Indonesian army think-thank has been revealed their price is comparable to T-90, including ILS, training support and everything you need to make those Merkava working within 6 years after sales.

You are right, second hand tanks would be a good alternative if they are available, but I think the weight would be a big issue for Vietnam.

What's the ongoing price for a second hand Leopard ll by the way? Is Germany still selling them?

Last edited:

Do you plan of invading these countries? With only 1000 tanks?

it will be a nice if Russia gives us the technology and let the tanks to be produced in VN..

I think Vietnam has the capability to design (and copy or adapt existing designs) and produce much more than what is currently doing and considering that it can produce very cheaply, it would be a nice bonus for the defense budget also. Many countries produce APC's and once the production effort starts, it gradually evolves into more complex equipment such as light tanks, etc and also once that the industrial capability and factories are in place, it becomes much easier to license produce the advance equipment such as main battle tanks, etc.

I think Indonesia is a good example of that, they are very aggressive when it comes to license production as well as developing local designs and I think that will pay off really well for them. I would say that Indonesia is the dark horse in the region, give them a few more years and if the economy continues to progress well, they'll develop some nice military capabilities and they need to anyway, China is claiming some of their territorial waters in the Natuna sea, so they have a challenge there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom