What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

To be honest, i do not know what weapons Vietnam has bought from India, or this is only plan or daydream of the Indian, as usual. Any Vietnamese professional here can enlighten me?

I frequently visit soha.com and ttvnol.com, but not any concrete info about this.

Unlikely. They left Cam Ranh Naval Base in 2002. Now the base is offered for logistic support and resupply for every navies in the world, not just Russia. It's business now.

Russian Navy might get more privileges but they won't get a permanent base like Cam Ranh before 2002 or Tartus now.

On a side note, here's a video:

I remember of a chat with a chinese poster here some time ago. he suggested Vietnam had no other option but surrendered all of holdings in the SC Sea to China, considering his nation´s military power. as a sign of generosity, he said China would give Vietnam money to compensate for the loss of buildings and constructions Vietnam has undertaken on her islands. do you have any idea what can be done to stop his big mouth? I think Moscow knows what Vietnam wants: security and prosperity. everything else is secondary, including a fake friendship with a certain communist neighbour. a good deal is Giving a naval base to Russia if Moscow provides security guarantee to Vietnam.

in the meanwhile, although many of Vietnam military assets are outdated, but they still will ask any aggressor to pay a price. unless some hooligans claim being invincible. we will see.
20092016mthang2.jpg

11012017mthangpg1.jpg

09122016mthang31.jpg

Donald Trump is right when he demands Japan, S Korea and all other must pay more for the US military umbrella. Security is not free.

a good deal is Giving a naval base to Russia if Moscow provides security guarantee to Vietnam.
Great ideas!

But how much you can pay to Russia? Don't take the naval base as your payment, US holds countless navy or air bases in Korea and Japan.

Great ideas!

But how much you can pay to Russia? Don't take the naval base as your payment, US holds countless navy or air bases in Korea and Japan.
if any then will be a mutual defence treaty, if a partner is attacked, the other partner is obliged to provide everything to her partner´s defence. Vietnam does not need huge military presence of Russian troops on her sole, unlike the US armed forces, that maintain large presence in Japan and South Korea causing huge costs. actually I think, Russia should pay for Vietnam contribution assisting them in maintaining the great power status. we provide not only support for Russia naval fleets but for their strategic bombers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-vietnam-russia-exclusive-idUSKBN0M71NA20150311
1019411548.jpg

we are your next immediate neighbour. but you give us nothing

suffering under Chinese aggression but we receive nearly nothing in return from our friends.

Considering we pay the patrol boats by a loan, that is very cheap for Japan.

actually I think, Russia should pay for Vietnam contribution assisting them in maintaining the great power status.

Seems that the entire world is owing money to Vietnam. What a powerful country!!

Meh in my PERSONAL opinion, anything or anyone that can help with our defense industry and homeland integrity is much welcome. But to let another nation get involved directly may not be the best idea. Take South Korea for example, their researches on rocket range and payload are limited by the US. And with the sinking of ROKS Cheonan, which is a corvette fully manned by military personnel, people would have want a more severe response from the US instead of mere "condemn" and "more sanctions". But hey, US prefers to bomb the crap outta Libya just because an unknown street vendor set himself on fire. That is life. Lets get everything we can and not get into anyone palm. Sure we cant wish for something serious but better safe than sorry.

Some picture of VN Mobile Police.

krJM6Qu.jpg

The 2nd and the 6th guy from left to right. A firing contest in China, i think

UvQUtHg.jpg

Korean-made APC

fyZUGlM.jpg

Close up

lHkho3E.jpg

Modified RAM-2000 to assault low to medium building

Seems that the entire world is owing money to Vietnam. What a powerful country!!
don´t twist my words. I never say something of powerful stuff. actually Vietnam is like a nice guy. nice to everybody, even to China. Look, the communist boss rarely makes overseas visit. in his first term in office, he went to China for a official visit at the end of his 10 year term. this time is different. he went to China in the first year after he was re-elected. yes he goes to China, looking for security and prosperity for Vietnam, for a better understanding, but he returns with nothing. oh yes, a dog getting a bone, like a Chinese poster here said.

don´t twist my words. I never say something of powerful stuff. actually Vietnam is like a nice guy. nice to everybody, even to China. Look, the communist boss rarely makes overseas visit. in his first term in office, he went to China for a official visit at the end of his 10 year term. this time is different. he went to China in the first year after he was re-elected. yes he goes to China, looking for security and prosperity, but he returns with nothing. oh yes, a dog getting a bone, like a Chinese poster here said.
but these are all your posts in the past week. the core theme in your post is: give us more money, that is what you owe us for different reasons, no matter you are China, USA, Japan, or Russia.

BTW, please not blame me for the words that NOT said by me, like bones blabla. I don't think I've ever mentioned the posts of other VN posters in front of you. They are not your words, how can I ask you to take the corresponding responsibilities? Hope you can follow the same rule.

Last edited:
but these are all your posts in the past week. the core theme in your post is: give us more money, that is what you owe us for different reasons, no matter you are China, USA, Japan, or Russia.

BTW, please not blame me for the words that NOT said by me, like bones blabla. I don't think I've ever mentioned the posts of other VN posters in front of you. They are not your words, how can I ask you to take the corresponding responsibilities? Hope you can follow the same rule.
I learn a bit from Donald Trump. He is right in asking US allies and partners to share the burden. Yes also he is right in saying if one is too nice other people will not only laugh at him but take advantage in raping America.

Test firing improved BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launcher, 40 tubes, calibre 122 mm, range 20 km. usually against land targets, but now capable to bombard enemy surface warships and submarines.
viet-nam-sua-chua-phao-phan-luc-bm21-the-nao_14154158.jpg

viet-nam-sua-chua-phao-phan-luc-bm21-the-nao_141542688.jpg

viet-nam-sua-chua-phao-phan-luc-bm21-the-nao_141543347.jpg

phao-phan-luc-bm-21-cai-tien-cua-viet-nam-co-gi-hot-hinh-6.jpg

phao-phan-luc-bm-21-cai-tien-cua-viet-nam-co-gi-hot-hinh-7.jpg

phao-phan-luc-bm-21-cai-tien-cua-viet-nam-co-gi-hot-hinh-8.jpg

tinh-nang-it-biet-cua-phao-bm21-grad-viet-nam_14958867.jpg

tinh-nang-it-biet-cua-phao-bm21-grad-viet-nam_14958114.jpg

a good deal is Giving a naval base to Russia if Moscow provides security guarantee to Vietnam.
Nope, absolutely not.

The principle of Vietnamese military and foreign relations nowadays is that we do not rely on any country or state to secure our sovereignty and national interests. South Vietnam learned that the hard way (or easy way, depending on who you ask) in 1974, Philippines too in recent years.

We do not beg other countries to take care of us. These mentality will cost us much more than you might think.

Nope, absolutely not.

The principle of Vietnamese military and foreign relations nowadays is that we do not rely on any country or state to secure our sovereignty and national interests. South Vietnam learned that the hard way (or easy way, depending on who you ask) in 1974, Philippines too in recent years.

We do not beg other countries to take care of us. These mentality will cost us much more than you might think.
no worry, my posts are frequently read by overseas friends and no-friends. in some cases it is not what it may appear. sometimes you should read and look my comments from this perspective :D

Russia Truck Giant Eyes ASEAN Market With Vietnam Expansion
Kamaz wants to boost its presence in Southeast Asia.

thediplomat_2015-01-27_18-57-02-36x36.jpg

By Prashanth Parameswaran
January 23, 2017

http://thediplomat.com/2017/01/russia-truck-giant-eyes-asean-market-with-vietnam-expansion/

Last week, the director-general of Russia’s biggest truck manufacturer, Kamaz, said that the company plans to boost the export of its trucks to Vietnam as part of a broader move to expand its presence in other Southeast Asian markets.

Kamaz Director General Sergey Kogogin told Russian state-owned TASS news agency that the firm plans to expand its presence in Vietnam, with a view that more Kamaz trucks could also be then supplied to neighboring ASEAN countries such as Laos and Cambodia.

Kogonin’s statement that Kamaz intends to boost its Vietnamese presence is no surprise. Kamaz has had a long relationship with Vietnam, with the first truck delivered to the country back in 1979. And Vietnam’s attractiveness as a country has only grown in recent years, with it becoming the top export market for Kamaz last year, when the Vietnam and the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) inked a free trade pact. Kogonin said that in 2016, Kamaz exported 1,855 trucks to Vietnam – which constituted a fifth of its overall exports – and that around 30 percent of that went to the Vietnamese military.

Kogonin’s emphasis to TASS that Kamaz’s policy is “aimed at long-term presence [in] the Vietnamese market, seen as a strategic one in the Asia-Pacific” is also not entirely new. The economic difficulties in Russia and Central Asian markets mean that Kamaz has had to look elsewhere to boost exports, and booming Asian markets like Vietnam and India have been a key part of this reorientation.

But it is still unclear how exactly Kamaz would make greater inroads into Vietnam, and how successful it will be. Kogonin said Kamaz was thinking about boosting production facilities that it had established in Vietnam to add to its capabilities, and that it was in the process of analyzing prospects before determining its further strategy with respect to Asian markets. In fact, though Kamaz has had joint ventures in Vietnam in the past that had helped it boost vehicle sales, progress had been slow and some previous moves to expand this further had been met with frustration. Conditions in place in Vietnam as well as the presence of other competitors in certain parts of the market have proven challenging previously and are likely to remain so in the future as well, despite recent inroads.

If Kamaz does end up going forward with the plan, however, this could have effects not just on its prospects in other Southeast Asian markets, but for its role in Vietnam as well. For instance, some have speculated that improvements in its business model could increase the attractiveness of its products relative to other rival brands in Vietnam, including those from China that already face issues such as quality.

China's free ride in SCS is over

Trump White House vows to stop China taking South China Sea islands

By David Brunnstrom and Matt Spetalnick

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-white-house-vows-stop-china-taking-south-005717307.html?ref=gs

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The new U.S. administration of President Donald Trump vowed on Monday that the United States would prevent China from taking over territory in international waters in the South China Sea, something Chinese state media has warned would require Washington to "wage war."

The comments at a briefing from White House spokesman Sean Spicer signaled a sharp departure from years of cautious U.S. handling of China's assertive pursuit of territory claims in Asia, just days after Trump took office on Friday.

"The U.S. is going to make sure that we protect our interests there," Spicer said when asked if Trump agreed with comments by his secretary of state nominee, Rex Tillerson, on Jan. 11 that China should not be allowed access to islands it has built in the contested South China Sea.

"It’s a question of if those islands are in fact in international waters and not part of China proper, then yeah, we’re going to make sure that we defend international territories from being taken over by one country," he said.

Tillerson's remarks at his Senate confirmation hearing prompted Chinese state media to say the United States would need to "wage war" to bar China's access to the islands where it has built military-length air strips and installed weapons systems.

Tillerson was asked at the hearing whether he supported a more aggressive posture toward China and said: "We’re going to have to send China a clear signal that, first, the island-building stops and, second, your access to those islands also is not going to be allowed.”

The former Exxon Mobil Corp chairman and chief executive did not elaborate on what might be done to deny China access to the islands.

But analysts said his comments, like those of Spicer, suggested the possibility of U.S. military action, or even a naval blockade, that would risk armed confrontation with China, an increasingly formidable nuclear-armed military power. It is also the world's second-largest economy and the target of accusations by Trump that it is stealing American jobs.

Spicer declined to elaborate when asked how the United States could enforce such a move against China, except to say: “I think, as we develop further, we’ll have more information on it.”

Tillerson narrowly won approval from a Senate committee on Monday and is expected to win confirmation from the full Senate.

RISK OF DANGEROUS ESCALATION

Military experts said that while the U.S. Navy has extensive capabilities in Asia to stage blockading operations with ships, submarines and planes, any such move against China's growing naval fleets would risk dangerous escalation.

Aides have said that Trump plans a major naval build-up in East Asia to counter China's rise.

China's embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the White House remarks.

China's Foreign Ministry said earlier this month it could not guess what Tillerson meant by his remarks, which came after Trump questioned Washington's longstanding and highly sensitive "one-China" policy over Taiwan.

Washington-based South China Sea expert Mira Rapp-Hooper at the Center for a New American Security called the threats to bar China's access in the South China Sea "incredible" and said it had no basis in international law.

"A blockade - which is what would be required to actually bar access - is an act of war," she added.

"The Trump administration has begun to draw red lines in Asia that they will almost certainly not be able to uphold, but they may nonetheless be very destabilizing to the relationship with China, invite crises, and convince the rest of the world that the United States is an unreliable partner."

Bonnie Glaser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank called Spicer's remarks "worrisome" and said the new administration was "sending confusing and conflicting messages."

Dean Cheng, a China expert at the conservative Heritage Foundation, said Spicer's remarks showed the South China Sea was an important issue for the Trump administration.

He said it was significant that neither Spicer nor Tillerson had been specific as to what actions would be taken and this left open the possibility that economic measures - instead of military steps - could be used against China and firms that carry out island building.

(Reporting by David Brunnstrom and Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Andrew Hay and Cynthia Osterman)

Back
Top Bottom