What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Vietnam is betting on the wrong side of history again like she did in the past by aligning with soviets during the cold war.

Vietnam gives thumbs-up to U.S. regional role as pivot stumbles

http://tuoitrenews.vn/politics/37608/vietnam-gives-thumbsup-to-us-regional-role-as-pivot-stumbles

REUTERS/TUOI TRE NEWS

UPDATED : 10/19/2016 08:49 GMT + 7

U.S. President Barack Obama shakes hands with Vietnam's President Tran Dai Quang after an arrival ceremony at the presidential palace in Hanoi, Vietnam May 23, 2016.

k0p3P8Tc.jpg

Vietnam supports U.S. "intervention" in the Asia-Pacific if it helps keep peace and stability, the defense ministry said, in a timely endorsement of a continued U.S. presence amid uncertainty over Washington's faltering "pivot".

Vice defense minister, Senior Lieutenant-General Nguyen Chi Vinh, met on Monday with Cara Abercrombie, the U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for South and Southeast Asia, and told her Vietnam backed a positive U.S. role.

The general's words of support, conveyed by the defense ministry, come when the United States most needs them, with its "rebalance" - aimed at boosting its Asian foothold and tempering China's rise - now under strain in the run-up to a U.S. presidential election.

Vinh "affirmed that Vietnam will support the U.S and other partners to intervene in the region as long as it brings peace, stability and prosperity", it said in a statement.

At the dialogue, Abercrombie said the United States would not change its rebalance strategy, the statement added.

Uncertainty lingers in Asia over changes ahead at the White House and whether a new leadership would give less priority to keeping China in check as it grows increasingly assertive in the East Vietnam Sea, a waterway vital to global trade.

Washington's traditional defense alliances in Southeast Asia are currently being tested, with ties with Thailand frosty since a 2014 coup and questions about the future of a tight military relationship with the Philippines under volatile new President Rodrigo Duterte, a staunch U.S. critic.

Relations between the United States and Vietnam, in contrast, have warmed substantially in the past two years, much to do with jitters over the East Vietnam Sea to which Hanoi has disputes with Beijing.

The latest affirmation of those ties came after the full lifting of a U.S. lethal arms embargo on Vietnam in May, allowing closer defense links and some joint military exercises between the former enemies.

Two U.S. warships earlier this month made a call at a new international port built at Vietnam's strategic Cam Ranh Bay in a brief but symbolic return for U.S. combat vessels.

The U.S. ambassador to Vietnam last week admitted the U.S. dynamism once seen in the region had "a little bit diminished", but said there was still appetite for U.S. involvement.

Ted Osius also said a dramatic change in U.S.-Vietnam ties was "not about to happen" because of Philippine leader Duterte's outreach toward China.

That's the only Canadian warship we have. Canadian military is so small.

Actually there are 12 frigates of this class (Halifax) in active service with Canadian navy. Also there are 4 Victoria class subs (notorious UK retired subs).

There is just one destroyer (DDG HMCS Athabaskan) left in the iroquois class however.

Canada will be a frigate only surface warship force quite shortly (Athabaskan will be retired coming spring I heard).

A far cry from the heyday of post WW2 and early cold war.

Really? If the only warship is far from home, who defends Canada?

Read above :P

But yes we have the smallest military per land/water size anyway. But we are part of NATO so its not a huge issue.

Read above :P

But yes we have the smallest military per land/water size anyway. But we are part of NATO so its not a huge issue.

I meant one destroyer. LOL that's all. Could you imagine, one fricken destroyer. hahaha

I think the closest help Canada can get is from the US and UK, and maybe France.

I meant one destroyer. LOL that's all. Could you imagine, one fricken destroyer. hahaha

I think the closest help Canada can get is from the US and UK, and maybe France.

Yah well this one is that not that one destroyer (about to be retired). It is one of 12 frigates :P

Canada's primary role in NATO structure is marine supply chain ASW, aerial supply chain protection + refuelling and NORAD monitoring. Destroyers are legacy of cold war for Canada. The situation has changed now with the mass incorporation of AEGIS equipped arleigh burke in USN from the late 80s onwards which they pumped out way beyond NATO requirements it can be argued given the sudden end of cold war....but maybe not so now given rise of China and also resurgence of Russia militarily.

In any case for Canada's role within NATO, frigates are more than enough.

Canadian warship pays goodwill visit to Vietnam
By Quoc Thang, Tan Nguyen October 18, 2016 | 04:51 pm GMT+7

1-1476778967-3950-1476779176_660x396.jpg

Halifax-class frigate HCMS Vancouver of Royal Canadian Navy arrives at Saigon Port, HCMC. Photo by VnExpress/Quoc Thang

The two navies will be discussing defense ties during the frigate's visit.
The Canadian Navy's HMCS Vancouver docked at Saigon Port in Ho Chi Minh City today to conduct a goodwill visit as part of WESTPLOY 16.

WESTPLOY16 part of the frigate's deployment aimed at building stronger ties between the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) and navies in Asia-Pacific countries, while also promoting peace and security in the region, said a statement from the RCN.

Commodore Jeff Zwick, commander of Canada’s Pacific Fleet, confirmed that talks will be held on national defense between Canada and Vietnam during the visit. After that, the ship will continue on to several other countries in the Asia-Pacific region before returning to Esquimalt, British Columbia, at the end of the year.

Since its departure from Esquimalt in June, the Canadian Halifax-class frigate has operated extensively throughout the Pacific region, and participated in international maritime exercises such as RIMPAC and KAKADU.

KAKADU, held through September 12-24, 2016, is a joint, biennial exercise hosted by the Royal Australian Navy and supported by the Royal Australian Air Force, with 20 nations participating, including Vietnam.

Vietnam has frequently welcomed warships from other countries, including the U.S., Japan, India, Australia and France. Earlier this month, the guided missile destroyer, the USS John S. McCain, arrived in Vietnam following its first visit in 2014 for naval exercises, seeking to reinforce military ties.

In April, two Japanese guided-missile destroyers made port at Cam Ranh Bay Port, Vietnam’s new international port. In July, the coast guard ship Kojima also arrived in Da Nang for a five-day visit.

Prior to the trip of President Francois Hollande in September, France also sent its amphibious assault ship the Tonnerre to Cam Ranh Bay on a friendly visit.

http://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/canadian-warship-pays-goodwill-visit-to-vietnam-3485627.html

How is it possible for a huge country as Canada operating a such small fleet?

Canada is a peace keeping nation. But I know what you mean. It is weird this is why I think Canada might lose the country if Uncle Sam and Uncle Kevin cannot defend themselves from Russian and Chinese invasion.

LOL, don't you have anything better to write about than arguing with people on the internet? you must have no life. You're free to say whatever you want, so am I. You're wasting my time and your time.

A guy who is forcing himself to be here although he's miserable, is telling me I have no life....get the *** off my planet.

Because of population density and overall size of NATO. NATO is really one military shared by its member countries.

Canada is a peace keeping nation. But I know what you mean. It is weird this is why I think Canada might lose the country if Uncle Sam and Uncle Kevin cannot defend themselves from Russian and Chinese invasion.

Canada and military do not belong in the same sentence.

Just in the news. Three Chinese warships will visit Camranh bay on Saturday. That will be an interesting event.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-warships-to-dock-in-vietnam-1476878216

Sinking it will make things A LOT more interesting.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom