What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

When I said off-road, I don't mean the capability to climb a very steep slope, or pass through deep water, I won't have that much expectation on a truck with simple chassis design.

What I mean is just the basic off-road performance, e.g. when only one wheel has traction and the remaining three all lost the traction (a very common situation when passing through bad roads that full of holes, or muds after a heavy rain), the vehicle should be able to pass by its own.

Check the following two videos, two Chinese SUVs, one pass the basic off-road test that I described, the other failed.
Success in the off road test:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI3MDQwNTkxMg==.html

Fail in the off road test:
http://www.autohome.com.cn/3788/0/27/Section.html?pvareaid=101505#maodian

The two vehicles shown are just for family purpose, therefore a success or failure on the off-road test doesn't matter that much. But for a military vehicle like the howitzer truck, the basic offroad performance is obviously a must-have.
Bro, Kamaz is a truck, isn't it? And as such I expect it to possess basic off road capability. Though I don't expect the truck comes out from a wet rice field should it fall into it :D

news of the day: the truck company Kamaz (Russia) is expected to deliver 1,000 KAMAZ-43253 4x2 trucks to Vietnam this year. After it delivered 700 trucks in 2015.

anh-cac-loai-xe-tai-cua-quan-doi-nhan-dan-viet-nam.JPG

what will the army do with 1,700 Kamaz trucks?

1463905088_ả.jpg

1463905111_ạ.jpg

1463905131_â.jpg

1463905155_ă.jpg

as the truck has a payload of 7.5 tons, one thing I have in mind why not mounting a 152mm howitzer :tup:

phao-binh-viet-nam-lo-mat-trong-bang-xep-hang-global-firepower_41442164.jpg

I think the recoil would shake that truck frame apart.

When I said off-road, I don't mean the capability to climb a very steep slope, or pass through deep water, I won't have that much expectation on a truck with simple chassis design.

What I mean is just the basic off-road performance, e.g. when only one wheel has traction and the remaining three all lost the traction (a very common situation when passing through bad roads that full of holes, or muds after a heavy rain), the vehicle should be able to pass by its own.
I wouldn't use the "In soviet Russia" joke, but Kamaz makes some durable truck chassis these days. And do remember that we buy 6x6 chassis, not the 4x2.

There was a video showing a Kamaz or Gaz truck carry an overweight and oversized wood cargo across a raging river. But I couldn't find it.

Bro, Kamaz is a truck, isn't it? And as such I expect it to possess basic off road capability. Though I don't expect the truck comes out from a wet rice field should it fall into it :D
The core issue is this is a 4x2 trucks.

Off-road performance is not decided by whether it is a sedan, SUV, or truck, but decided by the chassis design. Only a properly-designed AWD chassis (All-wheeled Drive, 4x4, 6x6, or 8x8) can pass the off-road performance I showed you. No 4x2 truck can do. Even if we equip the Kamaz truck with a superb MAN engine and ZF transmission, it still cannot pass. It needs to respect the basic principal of mechanical engineering.

For the 4x2 vehicle, the only way is to put some sand, or small stones, or hard muds under the wheels to make the traction force restored. But that's a suicide in war time. The enemies will not give your artillery that much time.

I wouldn't use the "In soviet Russia" joke, but Kamaz makes some durable truck chassis these days. And do remember that we buy 6x6 chassis, not the 4x2.

There was a video showing a Kamaz or Gaz truck carry an overweight and oversized wood cargo across a raging river. But I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the note. I don't know what you bought is 6x6 trucks. The news I read from Viet said 4x2, that's why I raise the questions about its off-road performances.

The core issue is this is a 4x2 trucks.

Off-road performance is not decided by whether it is a sedan, SUV, or truck, but decided by the chassis design. Only a properly-designed AWD chassis (All-wheeled Drive, 4x4, 6x6, or 8x8) can pass the off-road performance I showed you. No 4x2 truck can do. Even if we equip the Kamaz truck with a superb MAN engine and ZF transmission, it still cannot pass. It needs to respect the basic principal of mechanical engineering.

For the 4x2 vehicle, the only way is to put some sand, or small stones, or hard muds under the wheels to make the traction force restored. But that's a suicide in war time. The enemies will not give your artillery that much time
Maybe you are right. The 4x2 kamaz is not suitable for howitzer and we need another type, 6x6 truck for example like Nexter. Anyway we buy different types of kamaz trucks, like that function as mobile antenna stations. See picture. Plus as a part of the deal with the Russians we will start to set up factories assembling kamaz trucks with 25 percent localization rate. The local made components will gradually increase over the period.

photo1468486181038-1468486181083.png

Last edited:
Filipino president to discuss maritime disputes on Vietnam visit
By VnExpress September 23, 2016 | 03:14 pm GMT+7
Durtete-1474616222-9177-1474616263_660x396.jpg

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte speaks during a news conference in August, 2016. Photo by Reuters

The South China Sea dispute is likely to be the focal point during Duterte's visit later this month.
Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte will visit Vietnam next week and take part in discussions with local leaders on maritime disputes.

Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said that maritime disputes over the South China Sea (known in Vietnam as the East Sea) will be discussed during the visit, which is scheduled for September 28-29. The visit comes in response to an invitation made by Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc during the recent ASEAN summit in Vientiane, Laos.

Vietnam hailed the ruling of an international tribune in The Hague in July that decreed Beijing has no legal basis to claim historic rights to resources in the East Sea. The ruling came after the Philippines filed a case in January 2013 accusing Beijing of violating the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

The three all claim the Spratly Islands, besides Brunei and Malaysia.

Sources from the Filipino government said the president also plans to visit Japan in late October and Beijing by the end of the year.

Duterte assumed office last June and has caused controversy with blunt comments about other countries’ leaders. Most recently, an insult directed at U.S. President Barack Obama prompted the latter to cancel a scheduled bilateral meeting.

He has also received criticism at home for a ruthless drug war that has killed nearly 2,000 people.

6x6?

Most viet media say 4x2. Maybe a mix of different types?

Thanks for the note. I don't know what you bought is 6x6 trucks. The news I read from Viet said 4x2, that's why I raise the questions about its off-road performances.
I think both 4x4 and 6x6, and other types also

6x6?

Most viet media say 4x2. Maybe a mix of different types?

Several types were purchased, not just 4x2. So the 6x6 can be used for self-propelled artillery and air defense systems, while the 4x4 and 4x2 take care of normal transport loads.

You can also see the 105mm howitzer on a 4x4 chassis. It was successfully tested on the field and ready for mass conversion.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom