What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

. But well, Philippines is the idol for some Vietnamese people as they always have a big mouth toward China, instead of subtly and silently confronting the Chinese vessels on the SCS.

Filipinos are not diplomatic genius. They doing disaster after disaster.

They still not understanding the gunboat diplomacy. How they even allow the Chinese on Shoal. Didnt they know Chinese were preparing what?
How they accepted defeat without even firing a bullet.

I dont blame US, if Philippines ready to giveaway its territory, then what US do? Afterall Scarborough Shoal is not sovereign territory of US.

Little bit offtopic, Want to share something interesting (for sake of history), I dont know when in future history repeat itself. If Indonesia tilted toward China then that is more likely.
Admiral Soman recalls:

After the Indo-Chinese conflict (in 1962), the defence of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands was left entirely to me. The Army refused to send even a platoon there and we had to raise our own land force with sailors in khaki uniform to man the various stations in these islands. So far as the Navy was concerned, as soon as Pakistan started the trouble in Kutch, I had felt that my first priority would be these Islands because while talking to various people during my visit to Indonesia as the Fleet Commander a few years earlier, and having been briefed on the developments since then, I felt a little nervous about these islands. This was because when the Army refused to send any units for their self-defence, I had taken on the responsibility of doing so with sailors with no experience in land fighting. But I had also
placed MYSORE and two major ships in the area till the very last minute. It was only after the war had started and I was permitted to bring the Fleet back to the West Coast that I brought the ships across the Western theatre because I wanted to ensure that no opportunity was given to Indonesia to start anything at the same time. Whether eventually it proved itself I do not know but prior to thatSoekarrno (Indonesia’s then President) was reported to have been keeping an eye on the Bay islands. I was quite convinced in my mind that the Indonesian navy, knowing fully well that only a small force of sailors in khaki uniform was present on these islands, could make an attempt to capture the Nicobar island despite the then pretty poor state of Indonesia's navy".

Was there really a threat from Indonesia? The answer can be found in the memoirs of Pakistani Air Marshall Ashgar Khan (the chief of Pakistani Air Force during the Rann of Kutch incident), recounting the conversations between Soekarno and his naval chief Admiral Martadinata:

President Soekarno said that India's attack on Pakistan was like an attack on Indonesia and they were duty bound to give Pakistan all possible assistance. President Soekarno told him to take away whatever would be useful to Pakistan in this emergency. Two Russian supplied submarines and two Russian supplied missile boats were sent to Pakistan post haste.

Admiral Martadinata asked Air Marshall Asghar Khan "Don't you want us to take over the Andaman Islands? A look at the map will show that the Andaman and Nicobar islands are an extension of Sumatra and are in any case between East Pakistan and Indonesia. What rights have the Indians to be there? In any case, the Indonesian Navy will immediately commence patrols on the approaches to these islands and carry out the aerial reconnaissance missions to see what Indians have".

In hindsight, thus, it would appear that the concern voiced by Admiral Soman about the security of Andaman and Nicobar islands was not entirely unfounded.
https://books.google.co.in/books?id...Evolution of India's Look-east Policy&f=false

And frankly speaking, nobody give a shit about
Philippines. .

I agree, my concern is not for the sake of the Philippines, but because the chinese keep taking over the SCS and that Filipino reef will become a chinese base.

That's not surprising, given that the Philippines Armed Forces are only capable of fighting the rebels and they couldn't even do a decent job with that task. But well, Philippines is the idol for some Vietnamese people as they always have a big mouth toward China, instead of subtly and silently confronting the Chinese vessels on the SCS..

Its really difficult to imagine a country with a higher degree of military incompetence than Philippines. They win the trophy on that one.

Anyway, during the visit to Vietnam of president Hollande, no military agreement was publicized. However, he reportedly mentioned about the "FREMM" multi-purpose frigate, not sure how it would materialize in the future though.

I don't give much chance to the "FREMM" multi-purpose frigate, I would be very surprise if it gets selected.

It seems like the Sigma 10514 will be the next one to be selected.

Time will tell, but I doubt the US military-industry would pass a multi billions dollar market.

And clearly our butthurt RVN boy (you know who) haven't heard of scale model. That's why our boy is trying to bite things he knows nothing about. Keep licking your master's *** and hoping he'll give you some airsoft guns for "parade", while we enjoy our indigenous weapon systems =))

They have a mutual defense treaty since 1952 or 1953. But as far as I remember, it only covers the mainlands and excludes any islands and reefs in SCS.
Nice cumback son. After i expose your rc toy u have nothing to counter other than claiming that it is a scale model. First u claim that pos is a hale. Now u claim that it is a scale model after i expose u. What's next?. Indigenous? Lol

Report received, thread locked temporarily for checking, sorry for inconvenience.

Edit: Checked, now re-open, please be reminded, refrain from personal insult, thanks!

Mate, it's an rc toy; just look at its wing span and guess how long it can be.
All UAVs are not RC controlled Vehicle?
Can you tell me which UAV you invented which work without Radio waves. The thing is about encryption algorithms.

Or maybe you are that genius who invented a UAV on quantum entanglement?

IAI_Heron_1_in_flight_2.JPEG

Fuk, that also look like RC toy, see long wingspan. Maybe that is indeed RC toy.

Now if they can fit an early detection radar or Brahmos missile on that. Too slow to weaponize. If fitted for Kamikaze it will never make it pass a ships first line of defense.

If they can triple the range it's perfect for SCS reconnaissance.
That is UAV, not UCAV.

The likely payload will be EL/M-2060 P, ELINT, Maritime Radar, EO Pod etc etc

Little bit offtopic, Want to share something interesting (for sake of history), I dont know when in future history repeat itself. If Indonesia tilted toward China then that is more likely.

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=DpJk1Ecg9RAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Rediscovering+Asia:+Evolution+of+India's+Look-east+Policy&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqhaPlq_vOAhUEqo8KHakSCPAQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=Rediscovering Asia: Evolution of India's Look-east Policy&f=false

I had read that in the past; anything is possible, after all, the Indonesians gave one Yakhont missile to the chinese in order for them to copy it. Done once, can do it again.

I don't think it would be a good idea for India to sell Brahmos to Indonesia,

Nice cumback son. After i expose your rc toy u have nothing to counter other than claiming that it is a scale model. First u claim that pos is a hale. Now u claim that it is a scale model after i expose u. What's next?. Indigenous? Lol

If there was ever a nation that can win a modern war with RC planes, it's Vietnam.

I had read that in the past; anything is possible, after all, the Indonesians gave one Yakhont missile to the chinese in order for them to copy it. Done once, can do it again.

Lol....what are you talking About, we never give anything For the Chinese, especially yakhont missile lol....btw, Indonesia is not interested in Brahmos or any Indian Made weapons

France might propose the FREMM frigate during Hollande's visit. However, do take my information with a grain of salt, as rumor is rumor :D

funny, where you get information indonesia give chinese yakhont? are you high?

France might propose the FREMM frigate during Hollande's visit. However, do take my information with a grain of salt, as rumor is rumor :D
Much better than Sigma. Fremm would be a dream comes true if we can grab it. 140m long, 20m wide, 6,000 tons, can be configured for different missions. France and Italy build the ship as submarine hunter and land attacker. The Italian version is heavier: 6,900 tons. We would build it as air defense destroyer. The question is the price tag, transfer of technology and if we can build some ships in Vietnam.

The French seem seriously wanting to step in the troubled waters. They previously proposed joint European patrols. Not necessary bad. The more guests the better the party :-)

Last edited:
I can tell that is an impossibility if you look closely at the uav in the pic

Lifting is one thing; what type of weapons the U.S sells is another. What kind of export version the U.S sells to Vietnam is another consideration; is the export version a super downgraded version, lightly downgraded, or closely resemble the domestic version? Just look at the F-35 EXPORT versions, not all American's allies are getting the same; the U.K and Australia get the best version that closely resemble the domestic version of the U.S, while the rest get lesser advanced version than the British and Australian.

As for Vietnam, the U.S can't risk giving away technologies that Vietnam can give it right back to china for inspection. Can't trust a swinger to be more blunt.

My point was not about what kind of stuff the US would sell. My point was that I used to hear a lot of Caliviet saying the US would not lift the arms embargo because of reason x, y, z...similar to the reasons you and vtnsx described...but the Obama admin did lift it, contrary to the predictions and rationale given.

I don't give much chance to the "FREMM" multi-purpose frigate, I would be very surprise if it gets selected.

It seems like the Sigma 10514 will be the next one to be selected.

And how you’d know Sigma 10514 would be more likely selected next?

Sigma even has less of a chance than FREMM, namely the Dutch govt wasn’t willing to back a loan/credit line for the Viet Sigma plan, no matter how hard Damen tried to lobby the Dutch govt. On the other hand, with Hollande....:)

Do the Philippines have the defence pact with US like SK, Japan and Australia hold ? If not, then why blaming US? US not legally bound to protect Philippines.

If Philippines want to live in cookoo land, thats there problem. Not of US or Japan or of Australia.
PN has defense treaty with America but with no navy no airforce no air defense no nothing except troops more or less capable to fight against terrorism and separatism, the country fully relies on US boys to defend the territory,

It's really hard to understand.

And frankly speaking, nobody give a shit about Philippines. Maybe in ASEAN or South Korea.
In geopolitics of Russia, India, Japan and Australia , Philippines not even in dictionary.

For sake of argument, If the China done so this with Vietnam. I can tell you situation would be pretty different, actually totally different.

I can tell you that was only limited to counter terrorism,

About Coalition of Willing, Philippines (even after signing 2014 agreement) still not reached the level of interoperability and joint combat missions.

No need to bash the Philippines on those issues. In terms of foreign relation with VN, they are still on good terms and have shown no hostility against VN. I am only concerned about their internal issue...their law enforcement has previously proven incompetent to deal with drug issue and related street crimes. And to deal with that incompetency, Duterte decided to give the incompetent law enforcement...extrajudicial power! That’s just crazy. Incompetency + extrajudicial power is a recipede for disaster. It’s just short-sightedness on their part for supporting such absurdity.

No need to bash the Philippines on those issues. In terms of foreign relation with VN, they are still on good terms and have shown no hostility against VN.
On diplomatic channels, it's true.

On the field is quite different however.

Back
Top Bottom