What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

That's a bad news in my opinion. I hope we can build frigate in 5 years, destroyer in 10 years from now. Air defence frigate is a good start, but in 10 or 15 years? Can it be realized a bit earlier? Our opponent will soon field more ships than sharks swimming in the South China Sea. I know there are sceptics why we're need big chips at sea, but I am convinced we need them because to

- show our presence at sea. Be seen is important.

- have fleet defense. Don't we want a blue water navy?

- possess early warning and aerial defense against attacks toward the homeland. That is similar to what Japan has.
Not really.

Given our industries and technology, that's the best case scenario. We can only build 500 tons missile boats and not even have the technology to build light frigates (2000 tons class). If you want air defense frigates, you'll need 3000 tons vessels at least, which we won't be able to build in the next 10-15 years.

Not really.

Given our industries and technology, that's the best case scenario. We can only build 500 tons missile boats and not even have the technology to build light frigates (2000 tons class). If you want air defense frigates, you'll need 3000 tons vessels at least, which we won't be able to build in the next 10-15 years.
Bro you sound very pessimistic and describe a situation which happens now and will happen in the future given the same scenario and expected circumstances.

We can try to buy the technology we need to build ships, can't we?

We can copy the design from others and make it into our ship, or is it something that is impossible?

Can we begin to build the hull and import the rest?

If we never try we will never know we can.

Bro you sound very pessimistic and describe a situation which happens now and will happen in the future given the same scenario and expected circumstances.

We can try to buy the technology we need to build ships, can't we?

We can copy the design from others and make it into our ship, or is it something that is impossible?

Can we begin to build the hull and import the rest?

If we never try we will never know we can.

I think more importantly, lets analyze the specific technological reasons that prevent Vietnam from doing a domestic 2000 ton corvette.

The weapon systems and sensors of the TT-400TP gun boat and the Molniya corvette are simpler than the Gepard, but isn't in both cases that all those weapons and sensors are bought from Russia and even in the case of the TT-400TP which is a domestic project, it is actually the Russians that come to integrate the systems and once the testing is done, they give out the warrantee, so........ can't the same be done in a 2000 ton ship?

The other element is the hull, but is that so complicated and different from those other 2 hulls that Vietnam can't design it?

Lets get @Silent Knight opinions on this and lets be clear about what the issues are. It seems to me that it should not be so difficult to add missiles to a, lets say a stretched version of a TT-400TP and from there enlarge the hull further and add more sensors and weapon systems to get to a 2000 ton light frigate. The vendors that will supply those sensors and weapon systems will give all the relevant information and one vendor will get selected to do the full integration and testing of all systems.

Welcome to Vietnam!
Japanese aircraft carrier JDS Shimokita

UbH30gBa.jpg

July 23, 2016 1:00 pm JST
Vietnamese kids brush up their AK-47 skills at summer camp
ATSUSHI TOMIYAMA, Nikkei staff writer

20160622-Viet-kids1_article_main_image.jpg

A boy goes through a fire-fighting drill while other kids get some military training.

HANOI -- With rising incomes, more Vietnamese parents are sending their kids to summer camp -- but not any old summer camp.

In early June, an elementary school girl had an AK-47, the Vietnamese army's rifle of choice, across one knee at a camp on the outskirts of Hanoi. Children at the camp get almost the same training as new soldiers. They are taught how to disassemble and assemble a gun, how to avoid bullets and how to handle army dogs. Students who show a particular aptitude with guns can even get some live-fire training.

Since last year, military training programs for kids have been gaining popularity. A week or so of kids boot camp costs about 5 million dong ($224). Some 200 children participated this summer. Then, the schedule ended.

But a flood of inquiries prompted the army to add camps later this month and in August.

The training program is held at more than five locations, including in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and the southern province of Ninh Thuan.

Le Thi Kim Dung, 35, in June sent her 9-year-old son to the boot camp in Hanoi. It was the boy's first time away from the family, and his mother said he returned with more discipline and strength.

In the northern province of Hoa Binh, a fire-fighting academy provides counterterrorism training. The six-day program teaches children, among other skills, how to handle themselves should terrorists strike. Although the course costs as much as 5.6 million dong, the number of participants this year is expected to reach 1,000, up 150% from last year.

Terror attacks in Bangladesh and Turkey this year might have helped boost enrollment numbers.

At least one camp teaches kids how to deal with bullies. The Institute of education development and intellectual Viet, or IEDV, in Hanoi, started offering an anti-bullying camp a few years ago. Participants are taught self-defense skills, how to escape violence and first aid training. Camp-goers are also taught how to consult with teachers and parents and how to make up with friends after a fight.

As Vietnam's economy grows, parents are spending more money on their kids' futures. Educational spending in June was up 4.6% from a year earlier and 8.57% from 24 months earlier, mainly due to parents' fervor for education, rather than tuition increases.

Since a good academic background is held in high regard, most Vietnamese parents send their children to after-school classes and cram schools. Now, a growing number of them are signing up their kids for swimming, golf and martial arts lessons, even though these courses do not directly relate to entrance exams.

Visit the textile factory that produces clothes for the army

(Text and pictures from infonet.vn)

Với máy móc hiện đại và tác phong làm việc chuyên nghiệp, Tổng công ty 28 đang tạo ra những sản phẩm chất lượng tốt nhất phục vụ quân đội và xuất khẩu ra thị trường nước ngoài… Trong ảnh là dây chuyền máy sợi con hiện đại.

Công nhân Tôn Nữ Thị Thanh Thảo, xí nghiệp sợi, vận hành, làm chủ thiết bị hiện đại.

May quân phục hải quân tại xí nghiệp may.

Kết thúc công đoạn nhuộm, vải sẵn sàng trở thành quân trang phục vụ bộ đội.

1384666943054.jpg

Chuyền may 7, xí nghiệp may đo, luôn đạt năng suất cao, chất lượng tốt.

Công nhân Nguyễn Đình Thiều vận hành máy sợi thô.

Cán bộ, công nhân xí nghiệp dệt thi đua chào mừng kỷ niệm 69 năm ngày thanh lập Quân đội nhân dân Việt Nam.

May quân phục dã chiến tại xí nghiệp may đo.

I think more importantly, lets analyze the specific technological reasons that prevent Vietnam from doing a domestic 2000 ton corvette.

The weapon systems and sensors of the TT-400TP gun boat and the Molniya corvette are simpler than the Gepard, but isn't in both cases that all those weapons and sensors are bought from Russia and even in the case of the TT-400TP which is a domestic project, it is actually the Russians that come to integrate the systems and once the testing is done, they give out the warrantee, so........ can't the same be done in a 2000 ton ship?

The other element is the hull, but is that so complicated and different from those other 2 hulls that Vietnam can't design it?

Lets get @Silent Knight opinions on this and lets be clear about what the issues are. It seems to me that it should not be so difficult to add missiles to a, lets say a stretched version of a TT-400TP and from there enlarge the hull further and add more sensors and weapon systems to get to a 2000 ton light frigate. The vendors that will supply those sensors and weapon systems will give all the relevant information and one vendor will get selected to do the full integration and testing of all systems.

I find Viets more humble and pragmatic. You are not boastful like the Indians. That's how China started out decades ago, building the hull, copying and learning. You are on the right track, but most important is civilian economy. Deng emphasize economy above all and only after economic power was achieved, did the military might develop.

The hull itself is a must have, but added little value to the total cost.
The sensors, radars, weapons are more valueable things.

Even the powertrain elements Vietnam can't build for themselves.

The smaller design is the easier way to start.

Building the OPV 2400, and next OPV 3750 could be steps to the first domestic frigate
15625d115379de017fee933c3b6b422f.jpg

I find Viets more humble and pragmatic. You are not boastful like the Indians. That's how China started out decades ago, building the hull, copying and learning. You are on the right track, but most important is civilian economy. Deng emphasize economy above all and only after economic power was achieved, did the military might develop.

That's kind of what I said earlier, Vietnam is kind of doing the same thing, following the same path and step by step are going to get to where they need (which is not the same level as China and India, but it will be the level that they need that is feasible and practical for them). Vietnam started much later, so it will arrive there much later. Lets not forget that the country was at war for decades.

Yes, the economy is for the most part the key that provides the funding and at the same time the technological development that can spread into the military sector. That's why Viettel (a telecom company owned by the military) is doing the most sophisticated military projects that are now done in Vietnam and they are doing it with great success. Vietnam recently acquired the capability to make its own chips, well that's important for military technology. Many other examples like that. As more high tech foreign companies come to Vietnam, more technological capabilities get developed and later spread to the military sector.

Rome was not made in 1 day.

Building the OPV 2400, and next OPV 3750 could be steps to the first domestic frigate

Yes, but we are not talking Vietnam having to make every component. Few countries can do that. The propulsion and electrical generators can be ordered from Ukraine , Germany, etc. Until the conflict in Ukraine, Russia was buying the propulsion from Ukraine, so why Vietnam can't? I don't think that's the issue.

And yes, to start small, that's why I said why not do an enlarged TT-400TP with missiles, maybe 65-70 meters and then jump to maybe a 1500-2000 ton ship.

Last edited:
In my opinion, at this phase, VCG and Fishery Surveillance ( VFS ) get much support from Japan, US .. so Vietnam takes that chance to get expertise by building lots of CSB or KN ships.

After, the expertise would be applied to Navy ships with lesser risk of failure.

Anyway, after the lift of US arm embargo, Vietnam has more chance to get TOT, even from Russia, which is unable in the past.

Now it's time for VCG and VFS
Next it would be time for Navy

The deal of 6 subs is early and wise move.

What's the deal with the OPV 2400 and OPV 3750? Is Vietnam going to make those under Damen license?

What's the deal with the OPV 2400 and OPV 3750? Is Vietnam going to make those under Damen license?

OPV 2400 is DN-2000
opv2400.png

I'm still not sure DN-4000 is OPV 3750 or not.
But keep posting the unfinished vessel beside a finished one to compare.

I myself believe it's a navy platform and would be prepared for Air defence role

Last edited:
OPV 2400 is DN-2000

Oh I see, ok. Yes, that's one way to go. I thought DN-2000 was OPV-9014.

OPV 2400 is DN-2000
View attachment 320169
But keep posting the unfinished vessel beside a finished one to compare.

I myself believe it's a navy platform and would be prepared for Air defence role

That's a nice picture and gives some good clues.

I think Vietnam should easily be able to do its own OPV derivative of the DN-2000, its not that much different than what goes into a TT-400TP, but I wonder if the contract with Damen allows for that without having to pay license again.

Vietnam need both ships for CG and Navy, Damen need lab rat for new platform.
So I guess Vietnam ordered 8 straight with huge preference.

I heard that Australia also ordered OPV 2400 from Damen which build in Vietnam too.

Back
Top Bottom