What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

I find Viets more humble and pragmatic. You are not boastful like the Indians. That's how China started out decades ago, building the hull, copying and learning. You are on the right track, but most important is civilian economy. Deng emphasize economy above all and only after economic power was achieved, did the military might develop.
Deng is China economic hero, but for Vietnam a war criminal. He had his dirty hands in supporting the Red Khmer in Cambodia and raging the war against Vietnam in the 1980s. His terrible legacy is still felt in Vietnam today. But I give him credit, before he died he wanted to see both countries to normalize the relationship, ending hostilities.

What's the deal with the OPV 2400 and OPV 3750? Is Vietnam going to make those under Damen license?
We have about 33 shipyards. I can't imagine that is impossible for us in a reasonable timeframe, let say five or ten years, to build air defence frigates or destroyers. Understandable we can't make everything all components the last screw, but why not buying stuffs overseas and assembling them together? Why not buying the technology and install in our factory? Why not employing foreign experts in our shipyards? India shows that is possible. Many other countries prove that is possible.

Our cooperation with the Dutch especially Damen shows great success in building coast guard vessels, I see no reason why not expand to building of warships?

as for the bigger variant of OPV, that is confirmed we will do it (I believe the source is VN coast guard itself), though no info available when we are going to see the first giant coast guard vessel.

I. Shipyards of SBIC ( Vinashin )

SBIC : SHIPBUILDING INDUSTRY CORPORATION

1. Ha Long shipyard – Ha Long city / North of Vietnam

2. Pha Rung shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

3. Bach Dang shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

4. Song Cam shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

5. Cam Ranh shipyard- Nha Trang city / Middle of Vietnam

6. SSIC shipyard- Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

7. Saigon shipmarin shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

8. Thinh Long shipyard – Nam Dinh city / North of Vietnam

II. Other shipyards

1. Hyundai – Vinashin shipyard – Khanh Hoa province / Middle of Vietnam

2. Dong Bac shipyard – Ha Long city / North of Vietnam

3. Song Thu shipyard- Da Nang city / Middle of Vietnam

4. Hong Ha shipyard- Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

5. Vard shipyard ( STX Vung Tau )- Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

6. SEAS shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

7. Strategic Marine – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

8.Triyard shipyards – Ho Chi Minh & Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

9. Vuot Song shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

10. An Phu shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

11. Dai Tay Duong shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

12. Dai Duong shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

13. PTSC shipyard – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

14. Lisemco shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

17. X46 shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

18. Vung Tau shipyard – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

19. PV shipyard – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

21. Ba Son shipyard- Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

22. Nam Trieu shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

23. Ben Kien shipyard- Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

24. Dung Quat shipyard – Quang Ngai city / Middle of Vietnam

25. Damen Song Cam 0 Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

Bro you sound very pessimistic and describe a situation which happens now and will happen in the future given the same scenario and expected circumstances.
My assumption was based on the current situation of our industries. I'd like to be optimistic but this is the hard fact.

We have about 33 shipyards. I can't imagine that is impossible for us in a reasonable timeframe, let say five or ten years, to build air defence frigates or destroyers. Understandable we can't make everything all components the last screw, but why not buying stuffs overseas and assembling them together? Why not buying the technology and install in our factory? Why not employing foreign experts in our shipyards? India shows that is possible. Many other countries prove that is possible.

Our cooperation with the Dutch especially Damen shows great success in building coast guard vessels, I see no reason why not expand to building of warships?

as for the bigger variant of OPV, that is confirmed we will do it (I believe the source is VN coast guard itself), though no info available when we are going to see the first giant coast guard vessel.

I. Shipyards of SBIC ( Vinashin )

SBIC : SHIPBUILDING INDUSTRY CORPORATION

1. Ha Long shipyard – Ha Long city / North of Vietnam

2. Pha Rung shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

3. Bach Dang shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

4. Song Cam shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

5. Cam Ranh shipyard- Nha Trang city / Middle of Vietnam

6. SSIC shipyard- Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

7. Saigon shipmarin shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

8. Thinh Long shipyard – Nam Dinh city / North of Vietnam

II. Other shipyards

1. Hyundai – Vinashin shipyard – Khanh Hoa province / Middle of Vietnam

2. Dong Bac shipyard – Ha Long city / North of Vietnam

3. Song Thu shipyard- Da Nang city / Middle of Vietnam

4. Hong Ha shipyard- Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

5. Vard shipyard ( STX Vung Tau )- Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

6. SEAS shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

7. Strategic Marine – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

8.Triyard shipyards – Ho Chi Minh & Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

9. Vuot Song shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

10. An Phu shipyard – Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

11. Dai Tay Duong shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

12. Dai Duong shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

13. PTSC shipyard – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

14. Lisemco shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

17. X46 shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

18. Vung Tau shipyard – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

19. PV shipyard – Vung Tau city / South of Vietnam

21. Ba Son shipyard- Ho Chi Minh city / South of Vietnam

22. Nam Trieu shipyard – Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

23. Ben Kien shipyard- Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

24. Dung Quat shipyard – Quang Ngai city / Middle of Vietnam

25. Damen Song Cam 0 Hai Phong city / North of Vietnam

Yes, the bigger OPV, the DN-4000 will be built in Danang and it should be finished in 2019 according to the reports. I think the initial contract is for 2 units.

My assumption was based on the current situation of our industries. I'd like to be optimistic but this is the hard fact.

That is correct, but can you elaborate on what are the specific technological reasons that prevent Vietnam from doing a domestic 2000 ton corvette?

Nice video of SU-30MK2V courtesy of the friendly comcom people:

I already repeated myself many times, if you have three bids, all conforming to the same standards, next will be cost. Understand? I stated previously, India and China both can produce shitty steel, but certain grade of steel India cannot produce.

Example, warship grade steel until 2014, India needed to import those steel. High temperature super alloys, which I mentioned earlier.
.Still whole IAC-1 launched without warship grade steel? From where IAC-1 steel came, Mars?

Lol, you chinese. LMAO.

A level higher than Seniors are Principals, and most are in their 50s, so you telling me you are a 50 year old listening to techno songs?

Right...and pigs can fly. ASME/ASTM are AMERICAN standards, if Chinese steel conform to those standards witnessed by 3rd party inspection companies, what do you not understand? We had been exporting steel products to US for decades.

Yah, if we can make submarine grade steel, space alloys, and even export titanium sponges to INDIA for their 'indigenous' space program, we can't make CS, SS, Duplex steel?

Seriously? And not Europe? :rofl:

FYI,
http://www.isro.gov.in/indigenous-titanium-sponge-plant-operational

Do you know how long their ship had been under construction? Do you since when they started using their own 'indigenous' steel? Do you before 2014, all Indian warship were made from 'IMPORTED' steel? Compare with China those naval subsystems and see which is indigenous. They commissioned the nuclear sub? They haven't even sort out the problems with the sub. China had been building nuclear subs for the past 30-40 years on our own. How much of the sub is even indigenous. They don't even have a semicon fab for god's sake. Where are those chips in the subsystems made in? The AESA radar for example, you need a foundry from those chips, you get it?

This is the reason China after wonderful semiconductor feb was demanding AESA in SU-35? But Russia said fuk u?

How long it takes for the crew to "sharpen"
the SAM?

1 minute

bo-doi-ten-lua-viet-nam-nap-dan-than-toc_231136734.jpg

I read PLA generals brag they can retake "Chinese territories" in South China Sea at any time they want. Only their peaceful rise hinders them from using force. I think we should make the party a bit more funny if we deploy heavy artilleries for the island defense. If not happening already. 152 mm coastal artillery.

cristiano-ronaldo-crying-pic-03-756047-1444119646264-87-0-455-720-crop-1444119708403.jpg

Last edited:
That is correct, but can you elaborate on what are the specific technological reasons that prevent Vietnam from doing a domestic 2000 ton corvette?
Most likely to be metallurgical and shipbuilding technologies themselves.

That's why we're building the OPVs under Damen supervision, to learn the modular shipbuilding and stuff.

Anti-tank gun ???

I think that's a 122mm gun, not really sure. Its not an anti tank gun, but I imagine it will get used against approaching ships and as last resort, directly against landing craft.

Most likely to be metallurgical and shipbuilding technologies themselves.

That's why we're building the OPVs under Damen supervision, to learn the modular shipbuilding and stuff.

Ok, that means the steel for the hull, etc. I do remember that it took India quite a bit of time to be able to make the steel for their warships.

The Molniya class is already modular, but I think the big prize in the modular technology is the Sigma class.

Back
Top Bottom