What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

@Viet

That is a very extensive upgrade... Surprised about Ukraine being involved due to Russia.

Anyway, T54/T55M3's pack can go against a modern 3rd gen MBT?

I have doubts that a 105mm cannon has a good chance of killing a 3rd gen MBT, for example M-84's in Croatian/Slovenian/Serbian/Kuwait's army can survive a 105mm depleted uranium hitting front of the turret.

CN-235 MPA is currently being offered to Vietnam vigorously by our sides since the P3 Vietnam supposedly get from US is still doesn't get a clear sight in near future. Defense industrial collaboration and cooperation is being offered by Indonesian government and Vietnam side is agreed, still mapping what we can offered to Vietnam and vice versa though. Indonesia is currently working on smart bomb (JDAM like devices as we get assistance from several US company like Honeywell and other) to be used on our Flanker and F-16 though, and that's will be a nice addition to Vietnam arsenal in near future i think. They can reduced the necessities to use high end missile system like Kh missile series.
You say VN agrees on defense industrial cooperation. what expectations does Indonesia have to get from Vietnam? And what you want to offer in return? Cooperation on developing smart bomb is too little, isn't it?

You say VN agrees on defense industrial cooperation. what expectations does Indonesia have to get from Vietnam? And what you want to offer in return? Cooperation on developing smart bomb is too little, isn't it?

that's why i am said, the both sides is currently mapping whatever they had to offer. The Indonesian is currently had many active defense related development building programme. To name a few is right now,

1. We are in building of N-219 MPA variants, besides we already had CN-235 MPA/ASW and CN 212 400 MPA
2. We are building our kind of Medium Tank and IFV, in cooperation with Turkey FNSS
3. We had several type of IFV, APC, light recce and Fire Support Vehicle
4. We had light artillery prototype in works 105 mm caliber
5. GPS guided Rocket Artillery Missile System in works
6. National Light Frigate and AAW Destroyer programme
7. LPD programme
8. Tracked cargo Amphibious vehicle
9. Short Underwater Torpedo to be used in our Submarines, MPA Aircraft/Helicopter and Frigates
10. guided precision munition, (guided version of hydra 70 rocket)
11. Indonesian Future Soldier programme (FELIN licensed)
12. National Submarine programme
13. RCWS development programme
14. National Air Defense System, (in cooperation with SAAB to develop our version of BAMSE and GBAD)
15. Small arms and any kind of squad support weapons, ranging from Manpads until RPG like system weapons.

but we know our limitation in funding and research efforts, so we currently engaging many ASEAN member to cooperate and collaborate in defense research and productions efforts. The Malaysian, Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore had positive response and currently we are in mapping on what we can do to collaborate further in this field.

Barak-2 is actually the land version of Barak-8, but this is also in R&D. IAF expected to deploy first battery by 2018, so we can expect first test of this missile by this year.

Also the range of Barak-2 is much higher than Barak-8 ( arnd 130-150 KM) , and also known as LR-SAM. Barak-2 is specifically designed to intercept Aircrafts & Cruise Missiles, while David's Sling specifically designed to intercept SRBM.

So, I think Vietnam should think of deploying this as force mix as it going to use same Fire Control Radar & C&C System.

Ah ok, what you call Barak-2 I know it as Barak 8 ER (extended range), I think that's the Israeli designation.
Myself, I'm a big fan of Barak 8 and I think David's Sling will be very good and I'd like to see it deployed in Vietnam.

Vietnam is buying the land version of Aster 30 and myself, I would prefer to see Barak 8 instead, but it might be too late. At least Vietnam bought Spyder, but it would be a great combo with Barak 8. We still have hope for David's Sling. Spyder, Barak 8 ER and David's Sling, I would call that the Israeli S-400.

that's why i am said, the both sides is currently mapping whatever they had to offer. The Indonesian is currently had many active defense related development building programme. To name a few is right now,

1. We are in building of N-219 MPA variants, besides we already had CN-235 MPA/ASW and CN 212 400 MPA
2. We are building our kind of Medium Tank and IFV, in cooperation with Turkey FNSS
7. LPD programme
9. Short Underwater Torpedo to be used in our Submarines, MPA Aircraft/Helicopter and Frigates
14. National Air Defense System, (in cooperation with SAAB to develop our version of BAMSE and GBAD)
15. Small arms and any kind of squad support weapons, ranging from Manpads until RPG like system weapons.

but we know our limitation in funding and research efforts, so we currently engaging many ASEAN member to cooperate and collaborate in defense research and productions efforts. The Malaysian, Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore had positive response and currently we are in mapping on what we can do to collaborate further in this field.

I've heard that Vietnam is interested in the Indonesian LPD program, is that correct?

Ah ok, what you call Barak-2 I know it as Barak 8 ER (extended range), I think that's the Israeli designation.
Myself, I'm a big fan of Barak 8 and I think David's Sling will be very good and I'd like to see it deployed in Vietnam.

Vietnam is buying the land version of Aster 30 and myself, I would prefer to see Barak 8 instead, but it might be too late. At least Vietnam bought Spyder, but it would be a great combo with Barak 8. We still have hope for David's Sling. Spyder, Barak 8 ER and David's Sling, I would call that the Israeli S-400.

I've heard that Vietnam is interested in the Indonesian LPD program, is that correct?

i thought it was Myanmar and Bangladesh. Vietnam is interested in our MPA aircraft. But the possibility is wide open.

7. LPD programme

wow not too bad. I would be interested in cooperating in aircraft and naval industry.

wow not too bad. I would be interested in cooperating in aircraft and naval industry.

With current situation right now Government is looking for other alternative, RBS-15 or anything else like Exocet block 3 missile with local production option is in talk right now.

some pictures

Heckler & Koch sniper rifle, used by the Police
safe_im1agephp.jpg

Galil sniper rifle, used by the Army
23aug11_nr7-2.jpg

US origin M18 assault rifle with silencer, modified and parts reproduced in Vietnam

daccong3.jpg

khcndieubinh16-2.jpg

khcndieubinh14-2.jpg

khcndieubinh13.jpg

khcndieubinh12-2.jpg

khcndieubinh11-2.jpg

khcndieubinh10-2.jpg

khcndieubinh19.jpg

With current situation right now Government is looking for other alternative, RBS-15 or anything else like Exocet block 3 missile with local production option is in talk right now.

What about c705?

Is the cooperation freezed?

US origin M18 assault rifle with silencer, modified and parts reproduced in Vietnam
khcndieubinh12-2.jpg

khcndieubinh11-2.jpg

khcndieubinh10-2.jpg

I think it they are CAR 15 rifles (the predecessor of M4). Viet Nam produce them without license and I am very curious how those babies are doing in the shooting ranges and if they are just as good. So funny that they even copy the English writing on the rifles: COLT'S Patent, USA, auto, safe.....

In my opinion, our M18 are a converted and refurbished product, not newly produced. We probably use captured M16A1 and A2 for this. The receiver is retained but the stock and some extra parts are replaced with newer components. On the sideline, this picture is rather intersting : a USN bell on HQ-501 , 502 or 503 . The ship has been in service since WW2

12718264_875756962547265_2080230713127426412_n.jpg

Actually there is also difference between Barak-8 ER & Barak-2 (those are not same), ER also going to be naval version & going to use ELM-2248 MFSTAR, but Barak-2 going to use ELM-2084.
http://www.iai.co.il/2013/34481-41832-en/Groups_ELTA_EltaNumber_Products-ELM.aspx

Last edited:
I think it they are CAR 15 rifles (the predecessor of M4). Viet Nam produce them without license and I am very curious how those babies are doing in the shooting ranges and if they are just as good. So funny that they even copy the English writing on the rifles: COLT'S Patent, USA, auto, safe.....
the guy who initially posts the pictures on a forum claims to be an infantryman, too. like you.

he says Vietnam copies and produces the rifles, but unlike the Chinese, we want to give credit to the one, who invented the rifle: America. hence we copy even all writings as "made in USA" :D

@Viet

That is a very extensive upgrade... Surprised about Ukraine being involved due to Russia.

Anyway, T54/T55M3's pack can go against a modern 3rd gen MBT?

I have doubts that a 105mm cannon has a good chance of killing a 3rd gen MBT, for example M-84's in Croatian/Slovenian/Serbian/Kuwait's army can survive a 105mm depleted uranium hitting front of the turret.
I have no clue. but consider this: antitank weapon such as modern RPGs with multiple stages can pierce main battle tanks at short distance, defeating heavy armor of tanks. it is about a combination of anti tank shell and distance, piercing the tank at the right angle, exposing the weakness of the tank makes the difference between winner or loser.

So why can´t a T54/T55-M3 tank with 105 mm cannon do the same?

Vietnam Adds Military Muscle as South China Sea Tensions Escalate - WSJ

Trefor Moss
The Wall Street Journal
Feb. 21, 2016 6:00 p.m. ET

Vietnam was the world’s eighth-largest arms importer from 2011-2015, leaping from 43rd place in the previous five-year period.

BN-MR412_adefen_J_20160219021727.jpg
ENLARGE
Vietnamese soldiers march during a parade in Hanoi, Sept. 2, 2015. Photo: European Pressphoto Agency

MANILA—Rising tensions in the South China Sea have turned Vietnam into one of the world’s most active arms importers, with Hanoi buying more weaponry than wealthy neighbors South Korea and Singapore as it tries to counter China’s increasingly aggressive territorial claims.

Tiny Vietnam was the world’s eighth-largest arms importer from 2011-2015—a huge leap from the previous five-year period when it was in 43rd place, according to the latest annual study of global arms-trade patterns by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, a security think tank. Vietnam accounted for roughly 3% of world-wide arms purchases between 2011 and 2015, the study, released Monday, shows.

India, which imported 14% of globally traded arms, topped the list, followed by Saudi Arabia and China.

Territorial disputes in the South China Sea have driven Vietnam to invest heavily in its navy and air force to help it defend maritime claims, which are contested by China and other neighboring countries.

“With Vietnam we’re seeing a very clear reaction to what China’s doing in the South China Sea,” said Siemon Wezeman, senior researcher at SIPRI.

China, meanwhile, has emerged as a major weapons exporter, overtaking European rivals to become the world’s third-largest arms supplier, the SIPRI survey shows. China supplied roughly 6% of global arms over the past five years, SIPRI said, up from 3.6% in the 2006-10 period—though still significantly lagging market leaders the U.S. (33%) and Russia (25%).

OJ-AG238_ADEFEN_9U_20160219015709.jpg
ENLARGE

“It’s obvious and necessary for Vietnam to invest in new military equipment, especially after the South China Sea has become a hot spot,” said Tran Cong Truc, former chief of the government’s border committee said, stressing that the new hardware isn't aimed specifically at China.

Vietnam officially spent $4.3 billion on defense in 2014, compared with China’s $132 billion military budget. Both countries are believed by defense analysts to understate their military spending.

Sino-Vietnamese ties were severely strained in 2014 when China moved an offshore drilling rig into disputed waters east of Vietnam. Relations have been rocky ever since, with Vietnam protesting earlier this month when satellite imagery revealed the presence of Chinese surface-to-air missiles on Woody Island, China’s main outpost in the Paracel Islands, a chain also claimed by Hanoi.

Vietnamese officials have also repeatedly criticized China for its recent construction of seven artificial islets in the Spratly Islands, another remote South China Sea region claimed by both parties.

Related

Other Southeast Asian countries such as the Philippines, which also has territorial disputes with Beijing over the South China Sea, and Indonesia, which is watching China’s greater assertiveness with unease, have been buying new military equipment. But Vietnam’s modernization program has been much more ambitious, according to security experts.

In recent years, Vietnam has ordered six Russian-made Kilo-class submarines armed with cruise missiles, 36 Sukhoi Su-30MK2 jet fighters, six stealth naval frigates, six fast attack craft, and most recently an advanced Israeli air-defense system.

“It’s not over the top” given the heightened tensions, Mr. Wezeman said. “It’s just enough to make sure that if China pushes, then Vietnam can do some counter-pushing.”

Vietnam will likely remain a top weapons importer as it continues its “steady march” toward assembling a credible military deterrent, said Carlyle Thayer, a Vietnamese defense expert at the University of New South Wales.

“Of course, Vietnam has to be very concerned about [Chinese assertiveness]; there’s no reason for them to stop’’ buying more weaponry, he said.

Maritime-surveillance aircraft, drones, and advanced sensors and satellite systems will be next on Hanoi’s shopping list, Mr. Thayer said, equipment that will enable the Vietnamese military to make full use of its advanced new hardware.

Having lifted restrictions on the sale of nonlethal weaponry to Vietnam in 2014, the U.S. is eager to tap into the Vietnamese market and erode Russia’s dominance there, Mr. Thayer said, with the sale of second-hand P-3C Orion surveillance aircraft a likely first step.

Tensions with many emerging weapon-importing countries such as India, the Philippines and Vietnam—which might otherwise be promising markets for Chinese arms—have limited Beijing’s options as it tries to grow sales, Mr. Wezeman observed.

So while China has successfully established itself as an arms supplier to developing countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmar, it will struggle to compete against the U.S. and Russia in more lucrative markets, he said.

Write to Trefor Moss at Trefor.Moss@wsj.com

Back
Top Bottom