What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

I hear you.

Those 4 airports sound good, make sense. Did you try making a google search for the article title? Maybe someone had a chance to copy it and post it somewhere.
I accidentally came across with the news. trying google but not able to find it anymore as it was published some time ago. I believe the article was posted on: Vietinfo - Người Việt Đông Âu

yes, if our fighter jets were stationed at the airports close to China, we could response more quickly to any chinese provocations. though the jets are more vulnerable to possible attacks. would assume the 4 airports would be: Ha Giang, Cao Bang, Lang Son and Cam Pha. especially Lng Son. because since ancient times, nearly 1,000 years, the city, with layers of fortifications, has been our most important stronghold against chinese armies. should the enemy capture the city, the way to the lowland is free, to Hanoi. so happened in the war against the Ming. or in the 1979 war, the PLA threw everything they had into the battle, swallowing all casualties, trying to capture Lang Son.

china-border.jpg

Last edited:
I accidentally came across with the news. trying google but not able to find it anymore as it was published some time ago. I believe the article was posted on: Vietinfo - Người Việt Đông Âu

yes, if our fighter jets were stationed at the airports close to China, we could response more quickly to any chinese provocations. though the jets are more vulnerable to possible attacks. would assume the 4 airports would be: Ha Giang, Cao Bang, Lang Son and Cam Pha. especially Lng Son. because since ancient times, nearly 1,000 years, the city, with layers of fortifications, has been our most important stronghold against chinese armies. should the enemy capture the city, the way to the lowland is free, to Hanoi. so happened in the war against the Ming. or in the 1979 war, the PLA threw everything they had into the battle, swallowing all casualties, trying to capture Lang Son.

china-border.jpg
What a stupid idea to deploy fighers in airports near Sino-Vietnam border ... thank you very much, anyways missiles flying much faster than jet taking off.:crazy_pilot:

A leader who commands respect

BY Susan Bell
December 17, 2014
USC News

Alumnus Viet Luong, a paratrooper with the 1st Cavalry Division, becomes the first Vietnamese-born general in the United States military

bg-viet-luong.png

Army Brigadier General Viet Xuan Luong

In 1975, when Viet Luong ’87 was 9 years old, he escaped wartorn Vietnam aboard a United States aircraft carrier along with his parents and seven sisters. The following day, Saigon fell.

“My father, who had fought with the South Vietnamese Marine Corps, had managed to get us the necessary papers to be extracted as political refugees by regular U.S. C-130 airplanes,” Luong said. “But before we could leave, the Communists seized all airport operations and started shelling the airport.

“We thought we were doomed.”

Fortunately for Luong and his family and thousands of other Vietnamese refugees in danger of Communist reprisals, the U.S. government implemented Operation Frequent Wind, a non-combatant civilian evacuation.

Using U.S. marine helicopters that can maneuver more easily and were less susceptible to Communist fire, U.S. soldiers flew Luong and his family to a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Hancock.

“We barely escaped,” Luong said. “My sisters and I were scared to death. When we landed on the USS Hancock, it was so big we didn’t know where we were. We asked our father ‘Dad, where are we?’ He said, ‘We’re on a U.S. carrier.’ We said, ‘What does that mean?’ And he replied, ‘It means nothing in the world can harm you now.’

“I get choked up just talking about it.”

Giving back

p7visitresize53461-824x549.jpg

Viet Luong, seated in the cockpit of an AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopter
(Photo/courtesy of the U.S. Army)

As he stood on the deck of the carrier, Luong realized that he wanted to serve in order to give back to the nation that had saved him and his family from almost certain death.

Thirty nine years later, Brig. Gen. Viet Luong pinned on his first star during a ceremony held in August at Fort Hood, Texas, becoming the first Vietnamese-born general officer in the U.S. military.

Luong is the 1st Cavalry Division’s deputy commanding general for maneuver. The infantry officer commanded a battalion of 82nd Airborne Division paratroopers in Iraq from 2007-08 and led the 101st Airborne Division’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team, the storied Rakkasans, into combat in Afghanistan from 2010-11.

Luong said the promotion was a huge honor, but he credits his men with helping him get there.

“I just try and do the best I can in every job given,” he said. “I would not be where I am today without all the help I have received from my subordinates and superiors.”

The high price of freedom

Luong served in Haiti, Bosnia and Kosovo, where he felt he was able to make a difference. He found his experience commanding troops in Afghanistan and Iraq much tougher.

It’s been the pinnacle of my 27-year military career to be able to command in combat …

Viet Luong

“It’s been the pinnacle of my 27-year military career to be able to command in combat, but it’s much more solemn when you lose soldiers. You realize the price of freedom is very high,” he said. “I don’t know if you can ever really deal with something like that. You go through periods where you think of these men all the time. As a commander you are really responsible for their lives. So you try to think critically about how you could have done things better.”

Luong said it helped him to memorialize the fallen warriors under his command.

“I spend time keeping in touch with their spouses and parents and visit memorials. It’s a way of healing.”

Starting again from nothing

Luong’s childhood experiences remain vivid. Arriving in the United States, Luong and his family were taken to Fort Chaffee in Arkansas, which was set up to receive refugees from Vietnam.

The family stayed there for about two months, until one of his father’s friends helped them resettle in Los Angeles.

From nothing, the family started again. His father, who had majored in English literature and served as a senior officer, found work as an armed security guard, while Luong’s mother worked in a fast food restaurant. Luong’s older sisters worked, too, but when one was robbed at gunpoint while working at a Hollywood gas station, Luong’s father decided all his children were going to college.

Growing up in a tough Los Angeles neighborhood, Luong said he and his family viewed USC as an elite institution, accessible only to the children of the privileged.

“Most of us had our eye on the state schools, so although I applied to USC, I never really thought I would be able to go there.”

Luong initially considered joining the Marine Corps to become an infantryman like his father. However, a chance encounter with a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) instructor at USC changed his life.

“He was an airborne-qualified sergeant major and I was enamored by the fact he was a paratrooper because that’s what I wanted to be. Plus, he had served in Vietnam.”

When the instructor told Luong about ROTC scholarships, the young man listened.

bg-viet-luong-pinning-ceremony.png

BG Viet Luong, pinning on ceremony. Left to Right: LTG Mark Milley, Commanding General, III Corps; Minh Albano, sister; Kim (pink), wife; BG Luong; Minh Jacqueline Luong, sister; Brandon, second child.

A bold move

In 1983, Luong was accepted at USC with a full ROTC scholarship.

“It was a bold move to go to USC,” he said. “I chose USC not only for its legacy of academic excellence, but also because of how its alumni have fared in Southern California.”

At USC Dornsife, Luong majored in biological sciences, graduating in 1987.

“It might not be the major you would expect, but being a science major taught me to think critically,” he said. “I can cut through a lot of fluff and get to the root of the problem, and that has been one of my greatest strengths in my career.

“The outstanding experience I had at USC Dornsife, academically as well as socially, and being able to deal with some pretty high-achieving people taught me how to seek out success and step out of my comfort zone.”

What a stupid idea to deploy fighers in airports near Sino-Vietnam border ... thank you very much, anyways missiles flying much faster than jet taking off.:crazy_pilot:
well, I don´t think we will let the airports unprotected. a missile shield, with s-300 for example, is a must. I would assume the idea behind building the airports close to China is to put your missile and other military installations within the striking distance of our fighter jets.

s-300

tenlua-s300-8.jpg

tenlua-s300-3.jpg

tenlua-s300-2.jpg

tenlua-s300-7.jpg

tenlua-s300-4.jpg

tenlua-s300-5.jpg

images565674_1.jpg

images565675_2.jpg

more from s-300

s300tqkienthuc-2.jpg

s300tqkienthuc-1.jpg

s300tqkienthuc-3.jpg

s300tqkienthuc-5.jpg

s300tqkienthuc-6.jpg

s300tqkienthuc-7.jpg

ready to fire :-)
does anyone want to test VN air defence?
s300tqkienthuc-4.jpg

Who say those airports will have jetfighters? The northern border is a mountainous area, Im pretty sure the main purpose is for logistic reasons (the same reason behind those Chinese new airports on the tiny Spratly islands...logistic). It all good in peace time but in conflict time it another story , it doesn't take a genius to know that those airports will be the first to go in fire...So @cnleio you are a genius, congrats!!!

You are simply further proving my point that you are uninformed and spreading misinformation, it is because you aren't reading carefully nor are you paying attention to details at all, Brazil's deal does not involve Gripen NG alone at all and people like you claimed what you are claming now because they didn't pay attention to detail.

Brazil's deal involves production of Gripen NG, training their engineers, technology transfer, improving and implementing Brazilian technology, facilities/factories for local production of Gripen NG in Brazil, maintainance for Gripen NG until 2050, etc...

Only SU-35 and SU-37 can generate enough power for utilize full potential of Ibris-E radar, using it on SU-30's is a waste because it would have identical to the best radar available for SU-30's

I am aware of that, but I atleast check multiple sources, I pay attention to detail and compile the information like bullet points and such for understanding the context of the information...

You have short memory.

Vietnam needs to upgrade or replace L-39 Albatross trainer/ground attack jet, they could arrange local assembly and even produce some parts, it is in interest of Vietnam's goverment and military to locally produce military equipment as much as possible.

If lets say Vietnam manages to aquire all necessary machinery, tools and documents for Soko Super Galeb G4 and give funds to Serbs to reinitiate G4 upgrade program which adds radar and other improvements. Such a jet would be good and cheap for ground attack and with radar against helicopters and maybe anti-ship if it can carry RBS 15.

Before using L39 for ground support, you need to control the airspace, which I don't think Viet Nam could do it against PLA. The Syrian airforce are using them right now for ground support and they are falling down like pigeons from ground fire (heavy machine guns and some obsolete MANPAD). Those L39 will have zero chance against a well-equipped and modern army. The best and cheapest way for VPA is to use the shovel and dig hole & trenches and buy tons of MANPADS and JAVELINS-types, fight a dirty war and forget about those expensive aircrafts and the ground support from air. And the VPA infantry doctrine and training doesn't rely much on air support, they more into ground support fire from artillery, missiles and mortars

By the way, we all know those European jetfighters are freaking expensive. Just look how many and which countries in the world operate them. They are few and they are all rich countries

Last edited:
Who say those airports will have jetfighters? The northern border is a mountainous area, Im pretty sure the main purpose is for logistic reasons (the same reason behind those Chinese new airports on the tiny Spratly islands...logistic). It all good in peace time but in conflict time it another story , it doesn't take a genius to know that those airports will be the first to go in fire...So @cnleio you are a genius, congrats!!!

Before using L39 for ground support, you need to control the airspace, which I don't think Viet Nam could do it against PLA. The Syrian airforce are using them right now for ground support and they are falling down like pigeons from ground fire (heavy machine guns and some obsolete MANPAD). Those L39 will have zero chance against a well-equipped and modern army. The best and cheapest way for VPA is to use the shovel and dig hole & trenches and buy tons of MANPADS and JAVELINS-types, fight a dirty war and forget about those expensive aircrafts and the ground support from air. And the VPA infantry doctrine and training doesn't rely much on air support, they more into ground support fire from artillery, missiles and mortars

By the way, we all know those European jetfighters are freaking expensive. Just look how many and which countries in the world operate them. They are few and they are all rich countries

I think you are right about those airports being used for logistic reasons, Its the only thing that makes sense.

And certainly totally right about the L39, it would be suicidal to use those planes (or helicopters) at the front lines where the chinese will deploy massive air defense systems and will certainly have air superiority. The best strategy for Vietnam is to develop a strong air defense system as it is doing. Vietnam is also setting up a radar network optimized to detect stealth fighters and considering that Vietnam is very experienced when it comes to multilayer air defense systems, that should be enough. Can't do much more than that when dealing with a superior enemy right next door to you. Take the hits as they come, be tough and bleed them until they are not willing to pay the cost anymore. It worked against the French and Americans, it should work against china.

Who Will Lead Vietnam?

Who Will Lead Vietnam? | The Diplomat

Between January 20 and 28, Vietnam’s ruling Communist Party is scheduled to convene its 12th national congress. The Party congress is to Vietnam in some sense what the presidential election is to the United States: It decides who the country’s next leaders will be.

But there are some very significant differences between the Vietnamese and American systems. In the United States, the president is elected by members of the Electoral College who are in turn elected by millions of voters. In Vietnam, it is the delegates of the National Congress who elect the Central Committee, which then elects the Party general secretary (the country’s supreme leader) and the Politburo members (the country’s collective leadership). But even the congress delegates will have very limited choices. Usually the outgoing Central Committee will select the next Party chief complete with the next Politburo, the next prime minister, the next state president, the next National Assembly chair, and the next cabinet members. The outgoing Central Committee also assembles a list of candidates from which the congress can form the next Central Committee.

In the United States, you don’t know who will be in the government until you know who the president is. In Vietnam, the order is reversed. The most consequential question is answered last, and the least important first. Thus, you only find out who the next Party chief is in the last moments before the Party congress, but you can be more certain about the new cabinet’s members much earlier.

Although the next government will be formally selected by a new National Assembly that is to be elected the coming May, most of the ministries are already fairly clear on who their next minister will be. According to diplomatic sources in Hanoi, the Defense Ministry will get a new boss in the person of the present head of the Vietnam People’s Army General Political Directorate, Ngo Xuan Lich. The Public Security Ministry will also change ministers, with To Lam, one of the present deputy ministers, slated to be the new minister. Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh will remain in his current job. By the time of the 13th Central Committee Plenum in late December 2015, the most likely scenario also foresaw current Public Security Minister Tran Dai Quang becoming the next Party boss of Ho Chi Minh City and current Chief of the VCP Central Propaganda Commission Dinh The Huynh the new Party boss of Hanoi.

The top four posts – Party chief, prime minister, state president, and National Assembly chair – were to be decided at the VCP Central Committee’s 14th plenum, which took place early this week. The pool of candidates for these highest positions is limited, however, because they must be in the current Politburo and most of the current Politburo members will retire at the 12th congress. According to a rule that has been in place for years, the age limit for a Politburo member to stay into a next term is 65. Ten of the current 16 Politburo members will be older than 65 years at the time of the 12th congress. The 14th Plenum was to make decision about the exceptions to this rule. Basically the question was, who among the current top four – Party chief Nguyen Phu Trong, State President Truong Tan Sang, Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, and National Assembly Chair Nguyen Sinh Hung – would stay.

The strongest scenario that emerged at the 13th plenum was that Party chief Nguyen Phu Trong would be the only exception to the rule, and he would stay for two more years in his current job, which then would be turned over to either Tran Dai Quang or Dinh The Huynh. The new state president would be either current Fatherland Front Chairman Nguyen Thien Nhan or current Vice-Chairwoman of the National Assembly Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan. Ngan and current Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc would be the candidates for the prime minister’s post. And the one among the three who did not get the other two posts would be the new National Assembly chair. At the 14th plenum, the Central Committee reportedly voted for Trong to remain general secretary, Quang to become the new state president, Phuc to be the next prime minister, and Ngan to be the new National Assembly chair. (In another important development, the 14th plenum also endorsed the Trans-Pacific Partnership, making certain that Vietnam will sign and ratify the pact.)

Tense Contest

The leadership equation recommended by the 14th plenum will remain just that – a recommendation – until the 12th Party Congress makes the final decision. Until then, the toughest question, “who will be the next Party chief,” cannot be viewed as resolved. This question has been the trickiest one for every congress for decades. But the hallmark of the 12th congress next week is that the race for the highest position in the country is the most tense ever. The leading contenders for the post are the incumbent general secretary, Trong and the prime minister, Dung. Dung is extremely determined to become the next general secretary, and Trong is equally determined to deny him the job. What’s more, the two are polar opposites. At their core, Trong is a mandarin, while Dung is a capitalist; one is loyal to his principles, the other to his profits. This personality contrast is one of the reasons for the severity of their clash.

These characteristics should not imply, as many outside observers often assume, that Trong is pro-China and anti-Western while Dung is pro-U.S. and anti-China. The reality is far more nuanced and complex. In fact, neither Trong nor Dung can be described as either soft or tough on China; each combines softness with toughness in his own way.

One of Dung’s best remembered statements is his heroiccomment on Vietnam’s relations with China, “We do not trade sovereignty and territorial integrity for a quixotic peace and a dependent friendship.” During the HYSY-981 oil rig crisis of 2014, Dung advocated launching legal action against China in the South China Sea. More recently, Dung was the only Vietnamese leader to offer Chinese President Xi Jinping a full hug when the latter visited Hanoi in early November 2015. Perhaps to reward this and other offers Dung made during that talk, Xi then extended the only invitation he made during the trip to Dung, rather than to his rivals Trong and Sang, to visit China in the future. A veteran watcher of Sino-Vietnamese relations has commented that this signaled the Chinese approval of Dung as the next leader of Vietnam. Some analysts also note that China’s redeployment of the HYSY-981 oil rig near the Vietnamese EEZ and test flights on a newly built airstrip in the Spratlys, both in the time period between the 13th end 14th plenums, may help to strengthen Dung’s position in his bid for Vietnam’s top job.

In contrast, Trong’s public comments on Vietnam’s relations with China are remarkable for their dullness. Responding to voters’ concerns about China’s expansion in the South China Sea, Trong said, “We have maintained independence and sovereignty, but we must also resolutely preserve the regime, ensure the leadership role of the Party, maintain a peaceful and stable environment for national construction and development, and maintain friendly relations with other countries, including China.” Behind the scenes, however, Trong made some decisions that can only be viewed as tough on China and soft on the United States. In 2011, he strongly defended the appointment of Pham Binh Minh as the new Foreign Minister, over China’s objections. (Minh is the son of former Foreign Minister Nguyen Co Thach, whose retirement at the 7th VCP congress in 1991 was one of China’s conditions for renormalization between the two countries.) In 2012, Trong threw his support behind the Law of the Sea of Vietnam, passage of which had been delayed for years due to Chinese opposition. More recently, in 2015, Trong yielded to U.S. insistence and made a major concession to allow independent labor unions, paving the way for Vietnam to sign the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Party vs. Government?

Many outside observers view the political infighting in Vietnam as a rivalry between the Party and the government, with Trong commanding the Party camp and Dung the government bloc. Again, the reality is not so simple. Within the framework of a party-state, there is significant fluidity between party and government structures. This is even more true with the “circulation of cadres” (luân chuyển cán bộ), a practice copied from China, where senior officials have to rise through different positions in the government bureaucracy and the Party apparatus both at the central and provincial levels. Trong and Dung, through their position at the apex of the two structures, can mobilize their respective apparatus to a certain extent, but their real power rests on networks that cut across the Party-government border. For example, of the five deputy prime ministers, only one – Hoang Trung Hai – is Dung’s ally; none of the other four – Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Vu Van Ninh, Vu Duc Dam, and Pham Binh Minh – is in the Dung camp. At the same time, many of the Party bosses in the provinces and the central Party apparatus are allies of Dung, while Trong also has his allies in the central and provincial Government bureaucracies.

Nor does the ideological frame of conservatives vs. reformers seem to fit the Trong-Dung contest. Whether Dung is a reformer is a contentious issue. Supporters believe that he promotes institutional reform with more market and less state. Dung’s 2014 New Year address sounded like a reformist manifesto. Authored by former Trade Minister Truong Dinh Tuyen, a credentialed reformer, the address contends that institutional reform and democratization are the two key motors of development and urges the Party to “hold firm the banner of democracy.” The main tenets of the address, such as “the core ofdoi moi is democratization,” are no different than those advocated for years by Nguyen Trung, another credentialed reformer. (Trung is the author of then Prime Minister Vo Van Kiet’s 1995 memo, which also outlined a reformist platform, and for which Kiet was attacked by conservatives.) Critics, however, argue that there is a big gap between Dung’s rhetoric and his action. They believe that Dung is willing to sacrifice the national interest for his own personal interest and the interests of his family and cronies. His name has been associated with the default of large state-owned conglomerates Vinashin and Vinalines, which caused losses of billions of dollars.

Trong meanwhile is at best a moderate with some conservative inclinations and at worst a conservative out of touch with reality. His insistence on regime preservation, a leading role for the state in the economy, and other conservative ideas have obstructed reform. Yet Trong has also promoted many reformers. The viewsof Vuong Dinh Hue, a former Finance Minister who was brought into the Party apparatus by Trong to head the Party’s Central Economic Commission, are not too far from those of Truong Dinh Tuyen. Another prominent protégé of Trong is the late Nguyen Ba Thanh, the charismatic Party boss of Da Nang who was brought in to lead the Party’s central anti-corruption commission. Thanh was, as a Western investor has observed, “the nearest Vietnam has to a Lee Kuan Yew.” Trong’s fierce opposition to Dung’s bid for power has also attracted many reformers who view Trong’s leadership as the more viable alternative to a future full of crony capitalism, corruption, and more authoritarianism.

Vietnam is at its most critical juncture since the end of the Cold War 26 years ago. But its ruling elite is faced with an impossible choice. Ultimately, though, the best hope for those who wish to see Vietnam become the next Asian tiger may lie not in the choice that is made, in the unintended consequence of the political clash it entails.

Alexander L. Vuving is a Professor at the Daniel K. Inouye Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies. The views expressed in this article are his own and do not reflect those of his employers.

Last edited:
Vietnam Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung Sidelined at Party Congress

Vietnam Right Now, News Report, Posted: Jan 15, 2016

http://newamericamedia.org/2016/01/...uyen-tan-dung-sidelined-at-party-congress.php

State media have reported that the Central Committee of the Communist Party has reached “an overwhelming consensus” on the country’s new leadership.

Unconfirmed reports indicated that the long time favourite to succeed as party boss, the two-term prime minister Nguyen Tan Dung, had been sidelined after a bruising political confrontation.

The reports, which surfaced on social media and in the foreign press, said that the veteran conservative and current general-secretary of the party, Nguyen Phu Trong, would continue in his post for at least another year.

Whatever the decision, the new leadership must first be ratified at the 12th Party Congress which opens next week.

Some observers suggest that it would be unwise to discount the ambitious Mr Dung until the results are officially announced.

Long seen as favourite

The Vietnam News Agency reported no names when it announced the conclusions from the Central Committee meeting.

It quoted Mr Trong as saying that the participants “discussed and reviewed a report on personnel preparation at the meeting in a democratic and responsible manner.”

Radio Free Asia quoted unidentified sources as saying that Mr Trong would stay in his post for half of a five year term.

It said the new president would be the current internal security chief, Tran Dai Quang, while the deputy prime minister, Nguyen Xuan Phuc, would become prime minister.

Mr Dung has long been seen as the clear favourite to emerge as general-secretary.

During his two terms as prime minister he has presented himself as more open, dynamic and reform oriented than his rivals. He is closely associated with the Trans-Pacific Partnership and closer relations with the United States, at the expense of ties with Beijing.

Family’s wealth

“A coalition has emerged around the general secretary and state president to block Nguyen Tan Dung,” said Carl Thayer, an expert on Vietnamese politics and director of the Thayer Consultancy.

He said that Dung’s opponents appeared to have raised questions about his family’s wealth.

The prime minister has come under attack from his opponents in recent years over his economic management of the country and widely circulated allegations of corruption.

Many analysts thought, however, that he had overcome the challenge and built a strong enough power base on the Central Committee.

If Mr Trong’s victory is confirmed, analysts expect Vietnam to continue on a cautious path.

Mr Trong has shown signs of adopting a more pragmatic, and less rigidly ideological approach, in recent months.

His visit to Washington in July last year was seen as an important signal of his new flexibility.

However, proponents of political and economic reform and much closer ties with Washington will be deeply disappointed by the result if it is endorsed by the party congress.

well, I don´t think we will let the airports unprotected. a missile shield, with s-300 for example, is a must. I would assume the idea behind building the airports close to China is to put your missile and other military installations within the striking distance of our fighter jets.

s-300
A mission shield maybe useful for several missiles incoming ... not 100% intercept dozens flying to the airport. Building airport too close to sino-vietnam border equal to put ur jets under observation by PLA air-defence radars deployed in GuangXi also under fire range of HQ-9 LRSAM / HQ-16 MRSAM when they just take off, just as i said the jet never faster than 4-mach missile. BTW the mission shield can't easily intercept MLRS rockets and DF ballistic missiles launched from GuangXi (> 200km range), if the runway near border destroyed those jets just become static targets on the ground.

On the other hand, the S-300 not some secret weapon for China also exported S-300MPU from Russia ... PLA is familiar with these performances of Su27, Su30, Kilo, S-300, Russian weapon not the threat for China.

Last edited:
2 hand 2 guns :v 1 is a TAR and 1 is C-TAR

Attachments

• navy with 2 TAR.jpg
    navy with 2 TAR.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 62
I think you are right about those airports being used for logistic reasons, Its the only thing that makes sense.

And certainly totally right about the L39, it would be suicidal to use those planes (or helicopters) at the front lines where the chinese will deploy massive air defense systems and will certainly have air superiority. The best strategy for Vietnam is to develop a strong air defense system as it is doing. Vietnam is also setting up a radar network optimized to detect stealth fighters and considering that Vietnam is very experienced when it comes to multilayer air defense systems, that should be enough. Can't do much more than that when dealing with a superior enemy right next door to you. Take the hits as they come, be tough and bleed them until they are not willing to pay the cost anymore. It worked against the French and Americans, it should work against china.
True. We lack of many things, and of course the money to acquire hardware needed for a modern army. Peace can be maintained and many things would be easier in defense if we had a military budget as Japan. Or allying with the superpower America. Or building a Great Wall along the border to China. At least 100 m high.

Anyway, I don't think we must stop our economic development and spend all the money on weapons. we needn't to kill them 100 times. One time is enough. Or we will do as we used to do to them in the past, letting them to keep in their memory: we chop them off one arm or one leg, letting them to feel the pain for a while.

Last edited:
A mission shield maybe useful for several missiles incoming ... not 100% intercept dozens flying to the airport. Building airport too close to sino-vietnam border equal to put ur jets under observation by PLA air-defence radars deployed in GuangXi also under fire range of HQ-9 LRSAM / HQ-16 MRSAM when they just take off, just as i said the jet never faster than 4-mach missile. BTW the mission shield can't easily intercept MLRS rockets and DF ballistic missiles launched from GuangXi (> 200km range), if the runway near border destroyed those jets just become static targets on the ground.
if we are in the range of your artillery, then you are in ours.
On the other hand, the S-300 not some secret weapon for China also exported S-300MPU from Russia ... PLA is familiar with these performances of Su27, Su30, Kilo, S-300, Russian weapon not the threat for China.
you forget the second factor: the person behind the hardware. if I recall, China was the first country in 14 century, that invented gunpowder and developed firearms. and if we followed your logic, VN would never have acquired the technology and developed gunpowder weapons. because your logic is: you are the first and know too much about the weapon. oh yes, we would still have using swords today.

in case you don´t know: we have imported gunpowder technology from China and developed our firearms since 14 century, using the weapon system very effective against Champa.

There is another delusional taiwanese poster (his name has something to do with a planet, I believe) that from time to time posts a list how Chinese kilo submarines are far more superior to ours, because China knows the sub in and out since decades. I assume he wants to convince us to give up the submarine fleet. High on delusion.

Last edited:
Satellites

Hanoi on January 12. Preparing the launch of putting three more remote sensing satellites, VNREDSat-2, LOTUSat-1 and 2 into the orbit. Representatives of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology and the Radio Frequency Department shake hands after exchanging a cooperation agreement. these satellites can make high resolution images on the earth surface. interesting not only good for civil but defence purposes.

20160114173638-te1.jpg

LOTUSat 1, 2 are based on the japanese ASNARO 2 satellite. The first satellite will be built in Japan by NEC, while the second is to be built in Vietnam. X-band Radar (12.5 - 8 GHz), Imaging radar (SAR), powered by 2 deployable solar arrays, batteries. Vegetation land accuracy.

asnaro-2__1.jpg

VNREDSat-2 is likely to be built by Airbus Defence, like the first one: VNREDSat-1: weight 130-kg, sun-synchronous 700 km over the earth surface, taking images with a resolution of 2.5 meters in multispectral mode (4 bands).
vnredsat-1.jpg

Red River, Hanoi (Vietnam)
vnredsat-1_hanoi.jpg

Melbourne (Australia)
vnredsat-1_melbourne.jpg

Last edited:
that is the news I hoped for: Dang Ngoc Tung, the chairman of the Vietnam Labor Confederation, and National Assembly delegate suggests:
  • enlarging the runway on the Spratly island
  • building shelters, houses, logistics service for fishermen (and citizen)
  • raising fish
  • constructing hotels for tourism
  • populating the entire Spratly (Truong Sa) Archipelago
Lawmakers suggest civilizing Truong Sa Archipelago - News VietNamNet

it´s about time to respond.

Back
Top Bottom