What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

189 shipbuilding Haiphong, Vietnam @Carlosa

10557482_820495211328148_4960556911826614209_o.jpg

Nice, thank you.

My friend, this is NOT an assumption or rumour. The US donating an extra 6 Defiant Class Offshore Patrol Vessels to VietNam has already been confirmed by Janes. And the US also provides full training to the VietNamese crew, for free.

A question to my VietNamese brothers and @Carlosa : What assets has Russia donated to Viet Nam to help deal with the SCS dispute?

So far, I've seen the US issuing a report to reject the 9 dash-lines. And they are donating patrol vessels and providing training to VietNamese officers for free. What about Russia?
yes, that is the article:

Sea Platforms
US to transfer fast patrol vessels to Vietnam - IHS Jane's 360

Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Industry
17 March 2015

The Vietnamese Coast Guard (VCG) is to receive six Metal Shark-built Defiant-class fast patrol vessels from the US government to support its efforts to boost maritime security, an official from the US Department of State revealed to IHS Jane's on 18 March.

The deal - the value of which has not been disclosed - is significant in light of the US decision in late 2014 to ease its long-standing military embargo on Vietnam to allow the transfer of "maritime security-related defence articles".

The US State Department official said: "We are working together with Vietnam to deepen our security co-operation, which underpins the economic growth throughout Asia-Pacific.

Damen-Sea-Axe-Bow-Stan-Patrol-5009-Metal-Shark-165-Defiant.jpg

New assumption about type of ship that Us gonna aid Vietnam: Defiant class
or this metal shark defiant class:

136489d8a88cc29f581d6ee12a4b9773_XL.jpg

ok now im going to reply to all of that
1/ US asked us not to let Russian tanker to depart from Cam Ranh airbase to re-fuel their bomber , which is quite a clear intention to mess with our way to conduct our policies , lets just say you at home and some guy just jump in and give you 6 bucks then ask you to be his toy , Russian and Vietnam have a strategic relationship , told us to severely harm that for 6 lousy ships is stupid and ignorance
2/ oh no this is no facking anti-western propaganda , THIS IS FACT , US did raise a bunch of crappy groups to overthrown VN goverment (sound just like Lybia and Syria eh ? ) not to mention almost 20 years embargo and even supplied China with clear sateline imagine or our defense lay out in the Northern Border during the 79 war , even give them counter-battery radars .......so you see you can use google for these , all over the internet and not from only our side , US generals and defense officials knew this as well
3/ So what ? Russian sold weapons with nothing included and that how it work , what about US ? surely he didnt sell China weapons because he is pissed off with China but what to compared here ? a guy sell weapon with no conditions and a guy who dont sell at all (but if he do he will make you his dog ) ? so i must be thankful and love the US for that ?
4/ And now this shit is interesting , in VN we have a saying that like this "Things that you got free is a worry , things that you got given for none is a debt" we are not beggar , we purchased weapons by our own pocket , Someone give us free that is fine but dont expect us to be your loyal dog , and yeah Russian havent donate anythings for us in years but our navy our airforce our air-defense are born from equipments that Russia give us free of charge , If you want to compare the number of equipments we got from US and Russia for free let started since the birth of our nation , not in recent years , and even when we do that type of math , Japan is surely the guy we place our gratitude in (more than 30 ships in both patrol and fishing type )
5/ Hey 1988 skirmish is between our navy and China and its far from Cam Ranh , we got practically nothing back then , our ships are old and with the US shake their hand with China , should the Soviet respond in force that mean WW3 , and 1 more things CHINA DONT GIVE A CRAPPY A BOUT US TODAY , did you read my comment ? Philipine which is a ally of US got mug by China , google Scarborough confrontation between china and philipine you will see how miserable Philipine Navy against China , and where is the al-mighty US navy ? should they attack and reclaim that for their ally ? if you understand US action then the Soviet action back then is normal , and now with those pathetic Hamilton given to them by the US , Philipine Navy look "strong" indeed :v much stronger than out anti-ship missles and submarine :v WAKE UP US navy cant even dare to even come close to defend Philipine by force ( only "words" which is useless as shit , that why Russia never use his mouth , he sell his allies weapons that can do the job , not "donating" crappy boat and sell stripped Coast Guard ships , ..........."words" and "donation".........surely that would come in handy in the action to re-take the islands :v

Damen teams with Metal Shark to target US sales
Jon Rosamond, London - IHS Jane's Navy International
05 February 2015
Significance
  • Metal Shark is the sixth US company licensed to build Damen-designed vessels
  • Damen says the licensing agreements will help it compete for US FMS programmes
Netherlands-based shipbuilder Damen Shipyards Group has strengthened its position in the United States' naval, coastguard, and Foreign Military Sales (FMS) markets by licensing its vessel designs to Louisiana boat-builder Metal Shark Aluminum Boats.

The agreement allows Metal Shark to offer a wide variety of steel and aluminium-hull Damen designs, from inshore and offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) to commercial products such as fast crew suppliers, wind farm support vessels, and tugboats.

The US company has already applied its Defiant brand name to three patrol vessels from Damen's proven Stan Patrol (SP) range; the 50 m-long SP 5009, the 43 m SP 4207, and the 31 m SP 3307 are being marketed as the 165 Defiant, 140 Defiant, and 100 Defiant, respectively.

Defiant 100 / SP 3307
Damen-Stan-Patrol-3207-Metal-Shark-100-Defiant.jpg

Damen FCS 3307 Security

Damen FCS 3307 Security built in 189 shipyard, Vietnam
10689727_820491114661891_1117842148518439568_n.jpg

10628544_820491104661892_7940201709360604824_n.jpg

10653616_820491097995226_7808880765550149442_n.jpg

10653460_820491087995227_8194805033851347560_n.jpg

yes, that is the article:

Sea Platforms
US to transfer fast patrol vessels to Vietnam - IHS Jane's 360

Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Industry
17 March 2015

The Vietnamese Coast Guard (VCG) is to receive six Metal Shark-built Defiant-class fast patrol vessels from the US government to support its efforts to boost maritime security, an official from the US Department of State revealed to IHS Jane's on 18 March.

The deal - the value of which has not been disclosed - is significant in light of the US decision in late 2014 to ease its long-standing military embargo on Vietnam to allow the transfer of "maritime security-related defence articles".

The US State Department official said: "We are working together with Vietnam to deepen our security co-operation, which underpins the economic growth throughout Asia-Pacific.

or this metal shark defiant class:

View attachment 204412

Last edited:
ok now im going to reply to all of that
1/ US asked us not to let Russian tanker to depart from Cam Ranh airbase to re-fuel their bomber , which is quite a clear intention to mess with our way to conduct our policies , lets just say you at home and some guy just jump in and give you 6 bucks then ask you to be his toy , Russian and Vietnam have a strategic relationship , told us to severely harm that for 6 lousy ships is stupid and ignorance

Hi again my friend, thanks for replying. I don't see how your analogy relates to what is going on. The US didn't ask VietNam to become its toy. The US never asked VietNam to break its tie with Russia either. The 6 ships is not for in exchange of breaking the VN-Russia partnership. They are still free no matter what VietNam decides to do. You sound a lot like those PRC haters talking in that Cam Ranh thread.

2/ oh no this is no facking anti-western propaganda , THIS IS FACT , US did raise a bunch of crappy groups to overthrown VN goverment (sound just like Lybia and Syria eh ? ) not to mention almost 20 years embargo and even supplied China with clear sateline imagine or our defense lay out in the Northern Border during the 79 war , even give them counter-battery radars .......so you see you can use google for these , all over the internet and not from only our side , US generals and defense officials knew this as well

My friend, this is selective reasoning. You are cherry picking a small period of time to suits your argument. You mentioned an embargo that first started over 30 years ago and is no longer in place. Supplying military equipments to China in 1979? That's also over 30 years ago.

Why don't you mention the 90s, when Russia supplied a significant amount of weapons to China? And surely those Su-27 kit, Kilos, Frigates are more threatening to VN than those US radars?

And if you mention the period from 1930-40 where VN-CN was friendly, you can conclude that VN should change their mind and ally with China today.

3/ So what ? Russian sold weapons with nothing included and that how it work ,

Previously, you've mentioned how bad the US is because they supplied China back in 1979. Now you admit Russia also supplied China but only say "so what?"

what about US ? surely he didnt sell China weapons because he is pissed off with China but what to compared here ? a guy sell weapon with no conditions and a guy who dont sell at all (but if he do he will make you his dog ) ? so i must be thankful and love the US for that ?

No one here has ever asked you to be thankful to the US. Also, please don't use the derogatory name "dog". Are you implying Japan and South Korea are "dogs"? last time I've read, Viet Nam was begging these two "dogs" for foreign investments and old secondhand patrol boats. So I suggest you not to use the word "dog" you label these US allies.

4/ And now this shit is interesting , in VN we have a saying that like this "Things that you got free is a worry , things that you got given for none is a debt" we are not beggar , we purchased weapons by our own pocket , Someone give us free that is fine but dont expect us to be your loyal dog , and yeah Russian havent donate anythings for us in years but our navy our airforce our air-defense are born from equipments that Russia give us free of charge , If you want to compare the number of equipments we got from US and Russia for free let started since the birth of our nation , not in recent years , and even when we do that type of math , Japan is surely the guy we place our gratitude in (more than 30 ships in both patrol and fishing type )

Your reasoning here is very inconsistent here. You first gave me this Viet saying,

"Things that you got free is a worry , things that you got given for none is a debt"

But then you claim VN got lots of free weapons from the Soviet. So were they a debt/worry or not?

5/ Hey 1988 skirmish is between our navy and China and its far from Cam Ranh , we got practically nothing back then , our ships are old and with the US shake their hand with China , should the Soviet respond in force that mean WW3 ,

So according to this logic, the US is correct to not attack China for the Philippines because it will start WW3? Remember, what ever excuse you give to the Soviet, the same excuse can also be used for the US.

and 1 more things CHINA DONT GIVE A CRAPPY A BOUT US TODAY , did you read my comment ? Philipine which is a ally of US got mug by China , google Scarborough confrontation between china and philipine you will see how miserable Philipine Navy against China , and where is the al-mighty US navy ? should they attack and reclaim that for their ally ? if you understand US action then the Soviet action back then is normal , and now with those pathetic Hamilton given to them by the US , Philipine Navy look "strong" indeed :v much stronger than out anti-ship missles and submarine :v WAKE UP US navy cant even dare to even come close to defend Philipine by force

The US stayed out of the SS skirmish because the Philippines and China are member of UNCLOS which have a special procedure to resolve the dispute (Arbitration Tribunal) that exclude the use of a military interventions. The US had to respect that and they have indeed helped the Philippines with the ongoing Arbitration case by reporting their own SCS analysis.

( only "words" which is useless as shit , that why Russia never use his mouth , he sell his allies weapons that can do the job ,

Russia also sells weapons to China... Does this mean Russia is an ally of China? selling weapons to help China "do the job"?

not "donating" crappy boat and sell stripped Coast Guard ships , ..........."words" and "donation".........surely that would come in handy in the action to re-take the islands :v

Come on, you don't have to be dishonest with me. We know in every diplomatic meeting that Viet officials have with foreign diplomats, VN always ask the foreign officials to publically denounce China's action in the SCS. The difference is that US diplomats are usually always willing to denounce it while the Russia never.

You think donations and "words" are cheap but the Viet officials think different.

Last edited:
My friend, this is NOT an assumption or rumour. The US donating an extra 6 Defiant Class Offshore Patrol Vessels to VietNam has already been confirmed by Janes. And the US also provides full training to the VietNamese crew, for free.

A question to my VietNamese brothers and @Carlosa : What assets has Russia donated to Viet Nam to help deal with the SCS dispute?

So far, I've seen the US issuing a report to reject the 9 dash-lines. And they are donating patrol vessels and providing training to VietNamese officers for free. What about Russia?
I'm very curious about this guy, why every time talking about relationship between VN and US, he must be mention about russia, is that some kind of jealous

ZERO !!!!

Don't worry, there are still many more opportunities to hand out freebies. Maybe the Russian just want to tease @Viet and keep him guessing what goodies are heading his way. :enjoy:

I'm very curious about this guy, why every time talking about relationship between VN and US, he must be mention about russia, is that some kind of jealous

What do you mean everytime? I've only asked one question to find out whether Russia has provided any free supplies during the past few years (because VN always keep things secret) but someone jumped in to sue me.

I've been on PDF for over a year now so you should not be curious about me anymore. Actually you've been a member since last year but have only posted a few posts in this Viet military thread so I'm curious about you. Are you a spy for some country?

Last edited:
My 2 cents, it's better to know that US no longer consider Vietnam as enemy. That's why they offer the weapons, nuclear technology.

And it's not overnight, Vietnam become Russian enemy.

Don't worry, there are still many more opportunities to hand out freebies. Maybe the Russian just want to tease @Viet and keep him guessing what goodies are heading his way. :enjoy:

What do you mean everytime? I've only asked one question to find out whether Russia has provided any free supplies during the past few years (because VN always keep things secret) but someone jumped in to sue me.
So, you mean that Russia is bad, abandon Vietnam, US is helping Vietnam?
So when Vietnam need to by P3c, where are they?
Vietnam buy weapon to defend and pay money, it's not for free. why they did not reply, we need weapon to defend, not some kind of for-show ships, Russia helping Vietnam more than that, they speed up the production process so we can get kilo earlier than contract, and not only sell to us not weapon, they also give us technology to make it by ourselves. Can US do that or they still keeping lethal weapon embago to us
One more thing you need to know that Vietnam buy weapon from Russia some time by credit, it not free, but it's more useful to us than some free stuff from US.

My 2 cents, it's better to know that US no longer consider Vietnam as enemy. That's why they offer the weapons, nuclear technology.

And it's not overnight, Vietnam become Russian enemy.
only in your dream

Last edited:
Air Platforms

Vietnam, Israel sign defence co-operation accord
Jon Grevatt - IHS Jane's Defence Industry
03 March 2015

Vietnam and Israel have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on defence co-operation, the Vietnam Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced on 3 March.

The agreement was signed in Hanoi by Vietnam's deputy minister of defence, Lieutenant General Nguyen Chi Vinh, and Dan Harel, the director general of Israel's MoD.

The Vietnam MoD did not provide details about the accord but said it furthers recent bilateral efforts, which have focused on deepening collaboration across several sectors including military-to-military activities, technology transfers, and industrial partnerships.

In 2014 Israel and Vietnam also announced a plan to establish a joint committee to pinpoint areas of potential defence trade and related collaboration.

Last edited:
So, you mean that Russia is bad, abandon Vietnam, US is helping Vietnam?

My friend, I've only posted a confirmation from Janes about the 6 defiant class. Then I've only asked one question whether Russia has donated anything these years. It was a simple yes/no answer question.

Read it over again, when did I say Russia is bad and have abandoned VietNam? That claim was not from me, maybe it was already in your mind?

So when Vietnam need to by P3c, where are they?

I have not heard about VN making an official order for the P3c yet. Can you provide a link? Otherwise, what's the point of asking where they are if they haven't been ordered yet?

Vietnam buy weapon to defend and pay money, it's not for free. why they did not reply, we need weapon to defend, not some kind of for-show ships,

You mean VN made an official order for P3c but the US haven't replied? Can you provide a link for this?

Russia helping Vietnam more than that, they speed up the production process so we can get kilo earlier than contract, and not only sell to us not weapon, they also give us technology to make it by ourselves.

I've heard the Gepard has just been delayed. It's good that the Kilo delivery was very quick, but China received their Kilos 10 years earlier. They've also received tech to assemble Su-27 decades ago.

Can US do that or they still keeping lethal weapon embago to us

You want to license built US weapons now? Brother (or are you a sister?), it must take times. Just like if the US were to ask to use Cam Ranh, it must take times right? You can't just expect to ask today and be given by tommorow.

Back
Top Bottom