What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

News of the day: the construction of the $262 million Phan Thiet airport starts. When completed, the airport not only hosts civil aircraft, but jet fighters as Su-27, Su-30 and transport aircraft as An-26. Expected completion: 2018. Phan Thiet will close the gap of available airports between Nha Trang and Saigon.

Previously the airport was planned for the period of between 2020 and 2030, now, with the tension increasing in the region, thing comes a bit sooner. Also, I assume, the airforce expects more muscles a bit sooner, more Su-30 and probably Su-35.

vietnam_transfers[1].jpg

model of Phan Thiet airport
fica-3871411186654-4e5e9.jpg

pt_GYJW.jpg

Last edited:
wants to know how is the current Vietnam relationship to the great powers as China and America?

This year marks 65th of establishing anniversary of Sino-Vietnamese ties. Here a visit of a grande dame, Li Xiaolin, president of the Chinese People's Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries. Never know that such a China club exists. Both sides try to smile. But one can sense at the picture, the atmosphere is close to the freezing point.
133922359_14213228152181n[1].jpg

And America?

Vietnam right now experiences critical shortage of blood. the new US ambassador to Vietnam, Ossius wants to set a sign. Asked why he donates blood, he says, he and the diplomatic staff consider themselves as a part of the Vietnamese community. Respect.
us%20ambassador1.jpg.ashx

Deputy Defence Minister welcomes Lockheed Marti leader
(VOV) - On January 20, Deputy Defence Minister Senior Lieutenant General Truong Quang Khanh received Lockheed Martin International Vice Executive President Patrick M. Dewar on a working visit to Vietnam.

The Vietnamese military official appreciated the role of Lockheed Martin in increased cooperation with Vietnamese companies, especially in the field of information technology and other projects in the country.

Mr. Patrick M. Dewar expressed Lockheed Martin’s desire to cooperate with the Vietnam Defence Ministry in areas of the group’s strength.

As a global security, aerospace, and information technology company, the majority of Lockheed Martin's business is with the US Department of Defense and the US federal government agencies.

In fact, Lockheed Martin is the largest provider of IT services, systems integration, and training to the US Government.

The remaining portion of Lockheed Martin's business is comprised of international government and some commercial sales of products, services and platforms.
Deputy Defence Minister welcomes Lockheed Marti leader | VOV Online Newspaper
Yeah, VN may have a chance to buy some good jet fighters from Lockheed Martin :p:

Yeah, VN may have a chance to buy some good jet fighters from Lockheed Martin :p:
well, LM has a wide range of nice toys, from cruise missiles to radars to jet fighters to ICBM, but all are very expensive, especially F-35. So most of them are out of reach for us. Now. But hey, as everybody knows I am a fan of Aegis destroyers, and Lockheed Martin provides Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system, the primary sea-based component of the U.S. missile defense system :D

by the way, anybody knows where we will receive the 5 US made patrol boats, that are promised by John Kerry during his last visit to Vietnam last year?

Snap9.jpg

Last edited:
The Commanding General of the US Army Pacific, General Vincent Brooks met with Chief of the General Staff of the Vietnam People’s Army, Senior Lieutenant General Do Ba Ty in Hanoi on January 19.

The US Army Pacific´s headquarter is based in Hawaii. the US Army Pacific, the Marines Corps, Airforce and Navy are under the command of the joined U.S. Pacific Army. From Japan to Korea to China to Australia, all belong to operation areas of the US Pacific Army. I tried to figure out what they talked about, but failed. Besides usual rhetorics being announced, nothing is revealed.
quan-doi-viet-namhoa-ky-di-sau-hop-tac_201133322.jpg
Thượng tướng Đỗ Bá Tỵ tiếp Đại tướng Vincent Brooks, Tư lệnh Lục quân Thái Bình Dương Hoa Kỳ.

well, LM has a wide range of nice toys, from cruise missiles to radars to jet fighters to ICBM, but all are very expensive, especially F-35. So most of them are out of reach for us. Now. But hey, as everybody knows I am a fan of Aegis destroyers, and Lockheed Martin provides Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system, the primary sea-based component of the U.S. missile defense system :D

by the way, anybody knows where we will receive the 5 US made patrol boats, that are promised by John Kerry during his last visit to Vietnam last year?

View attachment 185381

Sugoi!

:D

from the comcom:

* Vietnamese Gepard 3.9 scale model in Zelenodolsk Shipyard, the only visible difference is the hull-mounted sonar. However, the actual ships might have different weapon suites with better capabilities.

I am a bit disappointed of the "new" Gepard as it has the same size as the "old" one. I did hope the new Gepards will be bigger and longer (even every girl knows it :)).

10848536_671986322924331_7260078366262159049_o[1].jpg

from the comcom:

* Vietnamese Gepard 3.9 scale model in Zelenodolsk Shipyard, the only visible difference is the hull-mounted sonar. However, the actual ships might have different weapon suites with better capabilities.

I am a bit disappointed of the "new" Gepard. it has the same size as the "old" one.

View attachment 185390

Why only Russian ? You guys need to diversify your surface fleet platforms , Vietnamese bro. Have you guys ever thought about the French LaFayette Class ?

from the comcom:

I am a bit disappointed of the "new" Gepard as it has the same size as the "old" one. I did hope the new Gepards will be bigger and longer (even every girl knows it :)).

View attachment 185390

Not good to eat Pho Tai gan sach, sometimes you gotta try Hu Tieu Bo Kho ;) ;)

Why only Russian ? You guys need to diversify your surface fleet platforms , Vietnamese bro. Have you guys ever thought about the French LaFayette Class ?

Not good to eat Pho Tai gan sach, sometimes you gotta try Hu Tieu Bo Kho ;) ;)
well, bro, there is a plan for a new 4,500 tons Frigate class for Vietnam Navy. Not French, but Dutch. Not much is revealed now but most likely some sort of De-Zeven-Provinciën class frigates. So for appetite see picture below. We are now at design stage. Such 6,500 tons frigates are built by Royal Schelde (Damen Shipyard). We have a great cooperation with the Dutch in building coast guard vessels.

1280px-HNLMS_Tromp_%28F803%29[1].jpg

well, bro, there is a plan for a new 4,500 tons Frigate class for Vietnam Navy. Not French, but Dutch. Not much is revealed now but most likely some sort of De-Zeven-Provinciën class frigates. So for appetite see picture below. We are now at design stage. Such 6,500 tons frigates are built by Royal Schelde (Damen Shipyard). We have a great cooperation with the Dutch in building coast guard vessels.

View attachment 185392

Handsome ship ! Looking good, buddy...!

I wonder why we are so generous? Vietnam Army has promised a US$21.6 million package for the Royal Cambodia Army to build army buildings, purchase equipment, run training courses, and provide healthcare services. Here the new headquarter of the Cambodian Air Defense Command.

What will we get in return?

CAM%202.jpg

CAM%203.jpg

CAM%204.jpg

I wonder why we are so generous? Vietnam Army has promised a US$21.6 million package for the Royal Cambodia Army to build army buildings, purchase equipment, run training courses, and provide healthcare services. Here the new headquarter of the Cambodian Air Defense Command.

What will we get in return?

CAM%202.jpg

CAM%203.jpg

CAM%204.jpg

OT: How do you guys communicate ?Vietnamese and Cambodian are totally foreign languages to each other. Through English? or through translators ?

OT: How do you guys communicate ?Vietnamese and Cambodian are totally foreign languages to each other. Through English? or through translators ?
translator. many cambodians speak viet language and viet settlers speak khmer.
actually cambodia eduction system is said being modelled after vietnam. it comes from vietnam hegomony in the country for a long period of times. From the beginning of the secondary, Vietnamese language study is compulsory.

translator. many cambodians speak viet language and viet settlers speak khmer.
actually cambodia eduction system is said being modelled after vietnam. it comes from vietnam hegomony in the country. From the beginning of the secondary, Vietnamese language study is compulsory.

interesting! i never knew that!

This baby is for unwanted guests:

Vietnam reportely expects to receive 3 battalions Iskander-E tactical balistic missiles (max range 280km) in a $500m deal, delivery probably 2015-2019. No suprise, some vietnamese officers are said to be sent to observe the upcoming Russia´s exercise with Iskander-M at Kapustin Yar.

Iskander is Russia response to NATO eastward expansion, and intended to use conventional warheads, but the missile is capable to carry a nuclear warhead (200kt), too.

10626234_672097406246556_744002526708950175_o[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom