What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Lol no man VPA has already abandoned the project because it didn't help much, Israelis only improved armour and electronics while VPA is looking for an upgrade version of T-54 which improves both Firepower and Protection and I believe Al-Zarrar is suitable for that.
old news. allegedly the army has restarted the project. well, no confirmation yet.
unlikely that we will choose Pakistan. you are in bed with the Chinese :woot:

too late. I read the army has chosen Israel. the upgraded version is called T-54M3. the modernization would be carried out similar to of T-55M3: with new 105-mm main gun, fire control system, machine gun, gearbox and transmission, mortar/grenade launcher, German 1,000 HP diesel engine, reactive armour, etc...

with modern ammo, the upgraded tank can destroy any modern tanks at an effective range of 1,000m.
T54M3-153_1.jpg

T-54M3-153%2B3.jpg

sieuthiNHANH201203106910ztu2odgxym249248.jpeg

This program keeps going on and off, never know how the story ends.

Sorry bro, but that 105 mm gun can't perforate the best armor of today's tanks. Even the 125 mm can't perforate the armor of a T-90 tank. The 105 mm gun is the weak point of the upgrade, but still a much better tank than before the upgrade, but not cheap at $930.000 a piece.

Thế thanh niên biết thì góp ý kiến cho mấy bác kia đi, sao cứ phải ở trong góc mà nói trổng thế, mà sự thật là VN có nhiều tiền không? nếu không thì làm ơn im đi.
And for the effective Anti-tank role against Chinese tanks, i suggest we should mount AT-4s on M113 APCs.
:dance3:

LOL, I'm just normal people, so when I has some lazy, boring free time, I come here, sometime I serious, sometime for fun chit chat or troll with Chinese member.
When I serious, I want to know and gain some knowledge, experience, thoughts from other member.

I'm not here to prove myself as military or political expert, if I know or I want, so I post my thoughts, if I don't, so not.
You don't have right to command me anything, if you want to prove yourself, do it with good manner, don't be arrogant.

Your suggest is confuse with your thought, when you said VPA don't have money, and PLA has good quality and massive budget, and VN should buy equipments from PRC, and with purpose to against PLA, very expert ... :cheesy:

:dance3:

LOL, I'm just normal people, so when I has some lazy, boring free time, I come here, sometime I serious, sometime for fun chit chat or troll with Chinese member.
When I serious, I want to know and gain some knowledge, experience, thoughts from other member.

I'm not here to prove myself as military or political expert, if I know or I want, so I post my thoughts, if I don't, so not.
You don't have right to command me anything, if you want to prove yourself, do it with good manner, don't be arrogant.

Your suggest is confuse with your thought, when you said VPA don't have money, and PLA has good quality and massive budget, and VN should buy equipments from PRC, and with purpose to against PLA, very expert ... :cheesy:
I only suggested you to buy Chinese weapons, i didnt tell you to use it against PLA, smartass.

In some Vietnamese forums, have some chineses personate Vietnamese for bad mission. Now, on this forum, this incident happens again.

Everything in steps bro, need to build the littoral navy before going into the blue water navy and also need to set up the surveillance and stand off targeting system as well as the C3ISR (Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) in order to properly use the blue water navy. Need to also beef up the air force further in order to provide better cover for the navy.

When all the pieces are in place and the country's GDP grow enough, then that will be the time for destroyers, etc. Patience is a virtue bro. :partay:
I know having and maintaining a destroyer fleet is a very costly. however we should consider it from another perspective: a destroyer fleet is an investment, not just only an expensive toy. until yet, we haven´t done any oil/gas explorations outside our 200 miles EEZ along our mainland coast line. if we increase our fire power in the south china sea, we can begin to drill in the Spratlys. Finding one or two oil wells are enough to finance the future destroyer fleet.

warfare is all about of perception and deception. mighty destroyers can impress opponent navies and keep them away from our waters. I doubt they are impressed by our small and medium surface warships.

the most important thing: we should continue to construct and expand our holdings in the Spratlys (the Philippines notice our activities).
Vietnam also has garrisons in PH zone of Spratlys
Slide3.JPG

Last edited:
I know having and maintaining a destroyer fleet is a very costly. however we should consider it from another perspective: a destroyer fleet is an investment, not just only an expensive toy. until yet, we haven´t done any oil/gas explorations outside our 200 miles EEZ along our mainland coast line. if we increase our fire power in the south china sea, we can begin to drill in the Spratlys. Finding one or two oil wells are enough to finance the future destroyer fleet.

warfare is all about of perception and deception. mighty destroyers can impress opponent navies and keep them away from our waters. I doubt they are impressed by our small and medium surface warships.

the most important thing: we should continue to construct and expand our holdings in the Spratlys (the Philippines notice our activities).
Vietnam also has garrisons in PH zone of Spratlys

Yes, of course, but have to also consider that the drilling itself can bring a fight with china (depending on the location).

Nothing wrong with getting destroyers, but have to do the basic steps first, otherwise it will be easy to lose those destroyers.
Vietnam needs to build up much more before getting destroyers and the air force is actually more important than destroyers right now.

But anyway, the cheap road to destroyers would be to get smaller ships, more like heavy frigates (4000-4500 tons), but loaded with heavy weapons like a destroyer. The Russian ship Admiral Gorshkov class is a good example, but with Israeli radar and Barak 8 missiles and Brahmos. That would be an small Aegis destroyer. Add to that some ASW frigates such as the Kamorta class of India (Vietnam is interested on those) and you'll have some heavy firepower, but still, you need the other elements of the network also, particularly surveillance satellites.

By the way, Vietnam should follow china on doing land reclamation in the islands and build bases. The next step would be to deploy ships on those islands (and they need to be small ships in order to operate there, so have to build up the numbers of small ships first). The Molniya class would be a good ship to deploy in the Spratlys.

Last edited:
nice, a good start. especially the announcement of naval and not patrol vessels.
Modi is said as a nationalist and China hater. He was not amused by repeated PLA incursions recently.
2014-10-28T080210Z_1_LYNXMPEA9R09B_RTROPTP_2_INDIA-VIETNAM.JPG

2014-10-28T080210Z_1_LYNXMPEA9R09C_RTROPTP_2_INDIA-VIETNAM.JPG
congrats you viets to degrade yourself to hang around with india, the laughstock in the world. I wish you forget all what China taught you in the past 2000 years and wholeheartedly embrace india.

congrats you viets to degrade yourself to hang around with india, the laughstock in the world. I wish you forget all what China taught you in the past 2000 years and wholeheartedly embrace india.

Thank you, that is precisely the idea, to forget everything related to china and to just deal with decent countries like India. The more the better.

nice, a good start. especially the announcement of naval and not patrol vessels.
Modi is said as a nationalist and China hater. He was not amused by repeated PLA incursions recently.
2014-10-28T080210Z_1_LYNXMPEA9R09B_RTROPTP_2_INDIA-VIETNAM.JPG

2014-10-28T080210Z_1_LYNXMPEA9R09C_RTROPTP_2_INDIA-VIETNAM.JPG

Most likely 4 OPV vessels.

Back
Top Bottom