gandhara

EA_1962_42-a-L.jpg

559000003055903.JPEG.webp

This is some poor quality research

upload_2020-4-12_2-22-32.png

i think this drawing/painting is based on this statue

800px-Feminine_figurine._Mature_Harappan_period._Indus_civilization.jpg

try reading the details

Astonishingly ornate this terracotta figurine represents a female divinity now unanimously identified as the Mother Goddess, perhaps a votive image maybe, people's reverence for the real birth-giving mother, or for the earth for all her bounties, was in the root of worshipping a deity who was primarily the 'mother' and a female in general. Otherwise also, the cult of female-worship, coupled with the fertility cult, seems to have been deep rooted in India's soil itself. The recovery of a large number of Mother Goddess figurines almost from every excavated site suggests that the Mother Goddess worship cult was very wide-spread during Indus days. The figurine has been cast with an elaborate headgear supported by a pair of bands and a brooch, tight-fitted short tunic with skirt part fastened with a broad waist-band using a medallion like clasp, and tight-fitted trousers, necklaces, ear-ornaments...

This large size figurine from Mohenjo-Daro is an excellent example of the technical maturity that Harappan artisans had acquired in clay modeling and baking. The coating of thick red slip seems to have been applied not to just add lustre or finish but perhaps also for protecting its surface from erosion. The fan-shaped headdress is like a large pannier cup, which hung on either side might have been conceived like oil-lamps or incense-trays, though with no marks of soot, it seems, it was not used as one. The figure of the Mother Goddess has been adorned with two necklaces smaller one has a set of four cylindrical pendants, while the longer one hangs between the breasts. The eyes have been conceived with two round pellets of clay, and the nose as pinched.

http://nationalmuseumindia.gov.in/prodCollections.asp?pid=34&id=1&lk=dp1

harrapans

Harappan%2BClothing%2BDolls.bmp

tumblr_inline_pdrswoPCEU1v77b18_540.png

some work of pakistani designers that come closest , me thinks
pak-fashion1.jpg

shehla_chatoor_at_fashion_pakistan_week_2012_day_2  _2.jpg

kiran-malik-pakistani-fashion-model-8.jpg

shehla_chatoor_at_fashion_pakistan_week_2012_day_2  _17.jpg

still from bollywood movie mohanjedaro
491049-mohenjo-daro-2.jpg

trailer

[video=youtube;UPZ5FKEB02I]

gandhara

EA_1962_42-a-L.jpg

559000003055903.JPEG.webp

Looks like a cool but overly done movie. I wish Pakistan made more on history.

Too bad we don't celebrate our history.

It's interesting nonetheless.

History and photo section of this discussion forum is best.
But should be more disciplined, many same topics. Should make only one so that it not become difficult to find.

History and photo section of this discussion forum is best.
But should be more disciplined, many same topics. Should make only one so that it not become difficult to find.

some very interesting facts

• indus people used buttoned shirts, this tradition contrary to some scholarship continued to the used in historic periods (buttons excavated from gandhara, even keeladi, tamil nadu, depicted in kushan, gupta coins etc)
  • indus people used silk as clothing material, an indian scholar vasant shinde even states that indus people used domesticated silk and not only wild silk
  • indus people used spinning wheel, the quality of the cotton excavated provides evidence of cotton spinning wheel being used (Dr Kenoyer)
  • indus people used hand loom to make clothes, the weights of the loom have been discovered.
  • indus people wore churidar and blouse just like they wear blouses for saris today, the figurine i posted above is a dancing girl wearing both churidar and blouse.
  • indus people were also aware of jute as jute has been excavated from indus sites as well.
  • Indus people also used large tunics/ like kameez depcited ibn one of the boat rtifacts from kot digi periods, turbans and also probably wore boots/sandals, which is depicted in one of their seals
regards

Last edited:
there were complicated dressings in the indus valley civilizaton, it is not true that indus people didn't know stiched clothings.

ghagra (skirt) and choli (blouse) were known

kameez like long tunic was known as well

churidar was known as well

the indus people according to the figurines wore heavy earings/ just like some historic indian depictions of heavy earings.

most of the indus valley depictions depict them draping like cave men which i thiink is very biased.

lots of figurines depict men wearing tight payjama clothes as well.

the art of makeup was also known as cosmetic bottles have been discovered as well along with portable mirrors, there is a figurine with sindur which shows continuation of traditions in south asia.

they probably wore dupatta as well.

regards

IVC

depicts tight fitted trousers along with head gear and necklaces

nausharo5.JPG
quite sucking to say. its something least expected keeping in view local hot environment. tight fitting clothes seems to be for fetched. rather short or lose clothes are would more likely had been used. As the case is even in today's world.

Back
Top Bottom