What's new

V K Singh joins BJP, will he be Next Defence Minister of Country?

I never said he will be made DM, only that he will be suitable for that role. But he is not the only one suitable for that role.

He has a running feud with current Army chief. He is probably the least suitable person to become defense minister. His appointment would be divisive for Army and has potential of causing communal rift within Army. Hindu-Sikh relations have barely healed from Rapine of Rajiv and this is the last thing we need.

I cannot say for of Keralites, but a large number of people I know sees him as a weal leader running away from responsibilities, even though he has a squeaky clean image.

I asked because of all the "If the Navy chief resigned, why shouldn't the defense minister?" debates being aired on news channels these days. Mr. Anthony doesn't strike me as the power hungry type(he did offer to voluntarily resign during 26/11).

Highly unlikely. It's a big 3 ministry. Will go to long term political honchos.

Yes.. Thats very much possible. A political honcho might get the Defence portfolio. Gen. might be appointed as the state minister for Defence. Even that will be a blessing for the forces.

he can join any party he likes but I dont think he is suitable for being a defence minister.
the guy is a show off and had political ambitions even when he was serving army.
Also I dont think IAF and Navy will be too pleased with him, nor would everybody in Army. He might even influence the promotions of top leadership.

He is a disgrace to Indian army, created lot of pain for civilian govt which never happened before.

Pretty strong words there.. And it shows your ignorance about Civil-Military leadership since independence as well as internal politics in South block for last 7-8 years..

Yes.. Thats very much possible. A political honcho might get the Defence portfolio. Gen. might be appointed as the state minister for Defence. Even that will be a blessing for the forces.

Pretty strong words there.. And it shows your ignorance about Civil-Military leadership since independence as well as internal politics in South block for last 7-8 years..
whatever internal politics is, he should have known his place. The fact that GoI even thought he might capture delhi with his troops implies the level of mistrust. He should have been kicked out but that would have made him a martyr which he is not. He is just an army man with too much political ambition (bit like musharaf)

whatever internal politics is, he should have known his place. The fact that GoI even thought he might capture delhi with his troops implies the level of mistrust. He should have been kicked out but that would have made him a martyr which he is not. He is just an army man with too much political ambition (bit like musharaf)
His place..? He was the freaking General .

And if GoI gets spooked by regular movement of troops, it shows their aloofness with ground realities.

And if GoI gets spooked by regular movement of troops, it shows their aloofness with ground realities.

There is nothing known as "regular movement of troops"

The government of India wills the Indian Army. Period.

The good general can play kabbadi with his maids, not with troops.

GoI acts on intelligence inputs, if intel agencies got spooked, it implies they never were quite sure of his intentions.
Do we really want such a person to be our defence chief. who, scares civilian govt, who would rather fight for his sill personal date of birth record than maintain dignity of institution.
The guy has disgraced IA, which till now were never considered threat to civilian leadership. In 2 years, he made us equal to pakistan.

There is nothing known as "regular movement of troops"

The government of India wills the Indian Army. Period.

The good general can play kabbadi with his maids, not with troops.

Are you sure..? What do you call the movement of troops during exercise..? Kabaddi..?

And the "good general" was not even involved in this "kabbadi". A ton of information has come out regarding this. Just because a newspaper carries out an article, one must not jump the gun and start questioning the Chief himself.

We have just seen an extremely able Navy chief resign because of this slandering campaign by certain section of Media.

Are you sure..? What do you call the movement of troops during exercise..? Kabaddi..?

And the "good general" was not even involved in this "kabbadi". A ton of information has come out regarding this. Just because a newspaper carries out an article, one must not jump the gun and start questioning the Chief himself.

We have just seen an extremely able Navy chief resign because of this slandering campaign by certain section of Media.

Positive. No significant movement of troops(exercise or not) can take place without government approval.

I'm surprised that you think otherwise.

Oh, the good General was involved....and it isn't just one newspaper.

Last edited:
GoI acts on intelligence inputs, if intel agencies got spooked, it implies they never were quite sure of his intentions.
Do we really want such a person to be our defence chief. who, scares civilian govt, who would rather fight for his sill personal date of birth record than maintain dignity of institution.

Intel agencies are fighting among themselves these days.. IB has been slandered in open forums. First time since independence we are seeing posts being filled with officers with inclination towards a certain party. The situation is chaotic and I am not sure of a certain over enthusiastic sleuth tried to get in good books of certain people in power.

The guy has disgraced IA, which till now were never considered threat to civilian leadership. In 2 years, he made us equal to pakistan.

IA is still not considered a threat. Other than one newspaper, no one really knew anything about this.. How did they get to know ..? Thats a good question..

BTW I am not saying that Gen. V.K. SIngh be made DM. I would like to see some one from Defence background to be given this job. There is so much filth in Def. Min. that it'll be impossible for a civilian to work efficiently.

Intel agencies are fighting among themselves these days.. IB has been slandered in open forums. First time since independence we are seeing posts being filled with officers with inclination towards a certain party. The situation is chaotic and I am not sure of a certain over enthusiastic sleuth tried to get in good books of certain people in power.

IA is still not considered a threat. Other than one newspaper, no one really knew anything about this.. How did they get to know ..? Thats a good question..

BTW I am not saying that Gen. V.K. SIngh be made DM. I would like to see some one from Defence background to be given this job. There is so much filth in Def. Min. that it'll be impossible for a civilian to work efficiently.
except law ministry and finance ministry (which require a level of competence in related matter) I dont really think its a big deal whether you are intimately related to that field.
Infact the good thing about having somebody who is not involved is, all parties can take him/her as neutral.
An outsider who has nothing to do with forces or procurement of defence material (like antony) is much preferred than somebody who might as well belong to a specific group or have certain vested interest.

Positive. No significant movement of troops(exercise or not) can take place without government approval.

Correct.. Now who is to blame if a planned exercise starts spooking certain people..?

except law ministry and finance ministry (which require a level of competence in related matter) I dont really think its a big deal whether you are intimately related to that field.
Infact the good thing about having somebody who is not involved is, all parties can take him/her as neutral.
An outsider who has nothing to do with forces or procurement of defence material (like antony) is much preferred than somebody who might as well belong to a specific group or have certain vested interest.

Hehehe... Antony is preferred..? He has done nothing but kept his record clean..In the meantime Armed forces have been denied may crucial systems and planned inductions have been hit badly. Not to forget this outsider makes sure that AW choppers are bought super fast just because a certain family will be happy. BTW Defence ministry does require a level of competence. India has been unfortunate to have DMs like Krishna Menon and Anthony.

Last edited:
Correct.. Now who is to blame if a planned exercise starts spooking certain people..?

Hehehe... Antony is preferred..? He has done nothing but kept his record clean..In the meantime Armed forces have been denied may crucial systems and planned inductions have been hit badly. Not to forget this outsider makes sure that AW choppers are bought super fast just because a certain family will be happy.
okey if not antony then somebody else, not from the forces. We dont want a faction leader promoted to top. The guy will have his loyalists and ditractors and it will all become messy.

Planned exercise? That has the government stumped? Out of curiosity, which exercise was this?

And since when it is a crime for the government to assess what the Army chief is upto?

Planned exercise? That has the government stumped? Out of curiosity, which exercise was this?

I am sure you can find that out if you try a bit.

And since when it is a crime for the government to assess what the Army chief is upto?

Never.. They are within their right to enquire. A rogue General must be sacked.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom