What's new

Uttarakhand: Air Force helicopter crashes; eight feared dead

IAF's rescue chopper crashes in Uttarakhand, 8 dead - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: A Mi-17 V5 helicopter of the IAF crashed while undertaking rescue operations in the flood-ravaged areas of Uttarakhand on Tuesday afternoon, killing the five crew members and three others on board.

"The helicopter was on a rescue mission from Gauchar to Guptkashi and Kedarnath and crashed north on its return leg. A court of inquiry has been ordered into the accident. Rescue operations will, however, continue," said an officer.

IAF has mounted its largest airlift operation in history to rescue people and ferry supplies under its ongoing Operation Rahat, with 45 aircraft and helicopters undertaking over 1,300 sorties since June 17. Over the last couple of days, bad weather has brought down the the number of sorties flown in the affected areas.

But IAF chief Air Marshal N A K Browne on Monday asked those still stranded in the affected areas as well as their family members elsewhere not to lose heart since the forces were working round-the-clock. "Our helicopter rotors will not stop churning till such time we get each one of you out. Do not lose hope and hang in there,'' he said.

R.I.P. They sacrificed their lives while trying to save others.

Thats their job.

yeah its their job.u need not remind us of that.ur comment sounds too insensitive.they need not take this much risk.they shld have been a little more careful but then again whether there seems to be changing within minutes.
Its also disappointing that this thread hasnt even run into 3 pages;the least we can do is send some condolences to those dedicated soldiers of this land.really shame on us.
I donno whether there is such thing as moksha;if there is one,may all these souls attain that(unless he or she is the most sinful).

yeah its their job.u need not remind us of that.ur comment sounds too insensitive.they need not take this much risk.they shld have been a little more careful but then again whether there seems to be changing within minutes.
Its also disappointing that this thread hasnt even run into 3 pages;the least we can do is send some condolences to those dedicated soldiers of this land.really shame on us.
I donno whether there is such thing as moksha;if there is one,may all these souls attain that(unless he or she is the most sinful).

Buddy, you have taken him otherwise. That was not his mean.
He was just trying to say "IDF always stand for their nation and his people as it is their duty despite of any risk." He was talking about Moral duty rather than technical one.

Just this morning,seeing a helicopter flying over those valleys,i said to myself"many helicopters are flying constantly there and thankfully nothing unfortunate has happened;hopefully this operation finishes without any helicopter crash";now i heard this sad news.

T.V report:Cloud burst was the cause.
One army cheetah and one I.A.F Mi-17 scrambled soon after the Mi went missing.Visibility is really bad.

I don't have words which can express the sad feelings which are making rounds in my heart soul. Just praying for their families. If there is any GOD anywhere just take them to heaven. They have made a example for the humanity. Saving people from the disaster done by cloud bust & then in line of duty dying while serving for human beings in cloud burst. At this moment these clouds hovering over our houses seems to be enemy of greater multitude than a terrorist.

Off topic a member has posted a smiley in this thread while explaining the bad work done by other poster. I just hope that he will remove smiley from the particular post. It's hurting us.

Back
Top Bottom