Use of Hindi instead of Urdu on Pakistan's state and private media

Status
Not open for further replies.

BATMAN

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Ever since the cable TV started in Pakistan, URDU has been vanished from Pakistan and replaced by Hindi.
Anyone who is in love with URDU shall inform PEMRA, who has been party in killing URDU language.
I grew up learning Urdu from books, do they not have Urdu books any more ?

There are those who would argue that it's the same language, however, that is not the case, beyond obvious similarities, they differ greatly.
Urdu is an elegant language, more beautiful with extensive Arabic, Persian, and Turkish words. This urge to speak a bastardized version of urdu, that is Hindi, is like giving in to the culture of your mortal enemy.

Ever since the cable TV started in Pakistan, URDU has been vanished from Pakistan and replaced by Hindi.
Anyone who is in love with URDU shall inform PEMRA, who has been party in killing URDU language.
Omg.....give it a rest will u.

Sorry I have to ask: You guys understand each other when you talk? Like 80%? More? Or just a few words?
I know you're talking about the spoken language right now,but I have to say,written Urdu appeals more to me than sanskrit. But then again,that's because I love arabic and I can write it myself.

Urdu is an elegant language, more beautiful with extensive Arabic, Persian, and Turkish words.
Persian and Urdu were the court languages of the Mughal Empire,right? Persian being the language of the court and intellectuals and Urdu the language of the Army and warriors?

There are those who would argue that it's the same language, however, that is not the case, beyond obvious similarities, they differ greatly.
Urdu is an elegant language, more beautiful with extensive Arabic, Persian, and Turkish words. This urge to speak a bastardized version of urdu, that is Hindi, is like giving in to the culture of your mortal enemy.

the difference between Hindi and Urdu is that in Hindi, more words are used from Sanskrit and /or their own local dialects.

We simply had our own words... example for Beginning Urdu word is Ibtida but in India and now in Pakistan they use Shoruat. I understand it and no problem with it, but new generation is loosing out on real Urdu.

There's one anchor on Pakistan private media BOL, he use Urdu for speech.

Sorry I have to ask: You guys understand each other when you talk? Like 80%? More? Or just a few words?
I know you're talking about the spoken language right now,but I have to say,written Urdu appeals more to me than sanskrit. But then again,that's because I love arabic and I can write it myself.

Persian and Urdu were the court languages of the Mughal Empire,right? Persian being the language of the court and intellectuals and Urdu the language of the Army and warriors?
Urdu originated in present day India in UP, that’s why it’s words are commonly used a lot of times in India, while Hindi movies watched in Pakistan exposed them to Hindi words, so yes we can easily understand and talk to each other as the languages are same with different vocabulary, Urdu is more Persian/Arabic and Hindi is more Sanskrit in vocabulary otherwise syntax of both languages is same.

it was bound to happen one day or another

Language spoken by the bigger population starts taking over other languages

even local Indian languages died out due to Hindi so Urdu stands no chance it'll happen - they have same origins and are much more similar than some of those local Indian languages ever were

Natural progression - Jinnah wanted Urdu to be imposed on us and he also wanted brotherly relationship with India, a desh bhakht at heart who just didn't want Muslims to be genocided or play second fiddle to anyone

So bhugto

Either do a concentrated effort to get out of what Jinnah envisioned for Pakistan (like we have done with many other things) do the same with Urdu or if you want to carry out his legacy with our language too - this'll happen, its only natural

Last edited:
the difference between Hindi and Urdu is that in Hindi, more words are used from Sanskrit and /or their own local dialects.

We simply had our own words... example for Beginning Urdu word is Ibtida but in India and now in Pakistan they use Shoruat. I understand it and no problem with it, but new generation is loosing out on real Urdu.

There's one anchor on Pakistan private media BOL, he use Urdu for speech.
It’s true, in Hindi question answer is Prashn and Uttar, now Sawaal and Jawab are more common for example.
it was bound to happen one day or another

Language spoken by the bigger population starts taking over other languages

even local Indian languages died out due to Hindi so Urdu stands no chance it'll happen - they have same origins and are much more similar than some of those local Indian languages ever were
I don’t think so, we still speak Malayalam despite knowing Hindi, a Bengali still speaks Bengali despite knowing Hindi, a Marathi still speaks Marathi despite knowing Hindi.

It is not enforced in India

98 percent news channels and communication is in Urdu. Since the ban of Indian movies and end of Star plus era, I haven't heard even a single Hindi word when communicating with Pakistani public.

On the contrary when I see Indian media, they are talking more in Urdu.

We understand each other because we in PK watch lot of Indian TV, therefore we have learned it and it's good set of skill, but we shall keep the original language at least in books and use in national media.

Regarding Persian is another sad history, In short, British killed it, which wasn't necessary in order to learn English and some how Urdu was selected as national language at the time of Pakistan's birth, I don't know why.
If it's upto me, i will choose Persian and /or Arabic over Urdu any given day.

I hate it when everyday folks use Hindi Words while speaking Urdu. I feel pity for them and their families. Even have noticed some tv anchors using Hindi words.

98 percent news channels and communication is in Urdu. Since the ban of Indian movies and end of Star plus era, I haven't heard even a single Hindi word when communicating with Pakistani public.

On the contrary when I see Indian media, they are talking more in Urdu.

I listen 1/2 hour and i can point out many hindi words.

I listen 1/2 hour and i can't point out many hindi words.

You cant or you can, I am lost. It also depends on what you were watching. I am taking about News channels, prime time debates, political speeches, varsities etc. Even movies and dramas are majorly in Urdu.

I hate it when everyday folks use Hindi Words while speaking Urdu. I feel pity for them and their families. Even have noticed some tv anchors using Hindi words.

I have studied tons of Urdu books and news papers while growing up, so i feel more strongly rather any one else and than there was a time i wanted to buy Urdu Qaida for toddlers, eventually ending up hand writing Urdu words next to Hindi words and giving explanations for it.
You cant or you can, I am lost. It also depends on what you were watching. I am taking about News channels, prime time debates, political speeches, varsities etc. Even movies and dramas are majorly in Urdu.
I can... sorry i changed the construction of sentence in midcousrse. thanks for pointing. I'll fix it.

It’s true, in Hindi question answer is Prashn and Uttar, now Sawaal and Jawab are more common for example.

I don’t think so, we still speak Malayalam despite knowing Hindi, a Bengali still speaks Bengali despite knowing Hindi, a Marathi still speaks Marathi despite knowing Hindi.

It is not enforced in India
No research north Indian local languages, you'll know what I am talking about - it was a late 1800s and early 1900s to make Hindi popular with its own new script,

lots of famous old Hindi writers used to write in Farsi script but after this movement things started changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom