What's new

USAF RECEIVES FINAL RAPTOR

Nishan_101

BANNED
Reaction score
Lockheed Martin delivered the final production F-22A Raptor to the U.S. Air Force on May 2 during a ceremony in Marietta, Ga., filled with pomp and circumstance.

The aircraft delivered this week was the 195th built by Lockheed, which also received help on the project from Boeing and engine-maker Pratt & Whitney. Lockheed delivered the first aircraft in 1997.

The Raptor is the “standard by which all fighters will be judged” and an “icon of American airpower and ingenuity,” Larry Lawson, Lockheed’s executive vice president of Aeronautics, said at the ceremony. Lawson began working on the program in 1986 and led the F-22A program for six years.

The jet can fly at supersonic speeds without using its afterburners and attack both air and ground targets. It also has numerous intelligence gathering sensors.

But like many Pentagon weapon programs, the F-22A never reached its original production goals. Air Force officials envisioned a fleet of more than 700 Raptors. Production was eventually capped at 187 aircraft by former Defense Secretary Robert Gates after a fierce battle with senior Air Force leadership and members of Congress.

Still, the F-22A is considered the most advanced tactical fighter in the world. This has prompted Russia and China to race to build an aircraft of similar capabilities.

The cost of the jet has always been an issue. Development and production has cost more than $74 billion, according to the Government Accountability Office. Now the production jets will need more than $11 billion in modernization work done through 2017, according to a new GAO report .

On top of that, the Raptor has experienced numerous issues since it was declared battle ready. Most recently, pilots flying the powerful twin-engine jet have experienced hypoxia, or lack of oxygen.

Air Force investigators have been unable to identify the cause of the problem, which contributed to the crash of an F-22A last year that killed the pilot.

Earlier this week, Gen. Michael Hostage, the head of Air Combat Command, said a “very small number” of pilots are refusing to fly the jet.
1055.jpg

The thing that I don't get is, why weren't the hypoxia-related issues noted way back in the early 2000's that's about enough time for the USAF pilots to have a good feel for the plane. Why spring up recently?

The thing that I don't get is, why weren't the hypoxia-related issues noted way back in the early 2000's that's about enough time for the USAF pilots to have a good feel for the plane. Why spring up recently?

May be the problem came with age?
previously the aircraft was new..

May be the problem came with age?
previously the aircraft was new..

Possibly but I am not sure if there have been previous hypoxia related cases noted with other aircraft. Who's to say the same won't crop up with the first batches of F-35's in say about 10-15 years?

And F-22 are no more appearing in any Air shows outside USA..
They used to be a regular appearance at Royal international Air Tatoo in UK and most of the times at Farnborough..But this year its not appearing at any..

Possibly but I am not sure if there have been previous hypoxia related cases noted with other aircraft. Who's to say the same won't crop up with the first batches of F-35's in say about 10-15 years?

It's believed it could be a software issue. Since oxygen supply was mechanically controlled in the past, this was never a problem. So this could certainly crop up with the F-35.

What this mean is that the problem lies with the On Board Oxygen Generation System (OBOGS) sub system and not with the aircraft itself. This OBOGS sub-system is the same as other fighters' and the only differences are how the OBOGS is integrated into the new airframe. It took time for problems to reveal themselves. The only reason why people would want to make a big deal out of this is because they want to convince themselves that the aircraft is a failure. Their ignorance and no experience in aviation results in ridiculous assumptions, further convincing themselves of their own delusions that they know what the hell they are talking about. Clear enough?

They used to be a regular appearance at Royal international Air Tatoo in UK and most of the times at Farnborough..But this year its not appearing at any..

This means very little, it is an operational fighter not an air-show bird. The USAF has a job it needs F-22 to do.

What this mean is that the problem lies with the On Board Oxygen Generation System (OBOGS) sub system and not with the aircraft itself. This OBOGS sub-system is the same as other fighters' and the only differences are how the OBOGS is integrated into the new airframe. It took time for problems to reveal themselves. The only reason why people would want to make a big deal out of this is because they want to convince themselves that the aircraft is a failure. Their ignorance and no experience in aviation results in ridiculous assumptions, further convincing themselves of their own delusions that they know what the hell they are talking about. Clear enough?

Oh you misunderstand me buddy, I have nothing against the plane, it's the standard against which all 5th generation aircraft are being measured against. So what I am basically trying to get at is whether it could be rectified, before similar problems crop up on it's cousin, the F-35, and if so, would it involve a complete redesigning of the oxygen generation system during their next scheduled overhaul?

Most American pilots are reluctant to fly F-22 and want transfers.

And this is based on.....................................

I'm pretty sure ANY pilot would give their left arm to fly one of the most advanced flying machines on earth.

This indicates nothing of serious nature. Here is recent known activity of F-22:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/...3/U-S-Deploys-F-22-Fighter-Jets-UAE-Officials

You can get all the updates from this source: http://www.fa22raptor.com/media/index.html

Obviously, issues can occur in new machines and the only issue in F-22 is what member Gambit pointed out. It will be certainly addressed or is being addressed as F-22 is a very important aircraft.

I have heared that F-22 offers breathtaking flight experience. It is so advanced.

Bad country bad engineering bad design

Shuttle - busted up and exploded
Raptors - flying coffins :sick:
F18 hornets - a plane india rejected enough said that like being rejected by a fat girl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom