What's new

US will act on ‘actionable targets’ in FATA: Biden

If millions of hindus/siks are living in Pakistan, I dont know why they were allowed to stay and not the other hindus/sikhs who left to india. Many hindus/sikhs felt they would be happier in hindu majority india so they left, even now india sends welcoming messages to allow hindus to come and live in india with them.

A vast majority of them was forced out. Some chose to stay back despite all hardships and risks to their lives at the time!

I am not so sure about India calling Pakistani Hindus even now! Any poof?

As for the articles you read online, anyone can pretend to be Pakistani behind the computer and type up anything. I can trace my ancestors for uptpo 5 generations and cant trace any foreigners but yea we've been Muslim for a long long time, I can only trace Muslims in these 5 generations of family history I know of.

I am talking of articles in mainstream newspapers like Dawn, The News etc. It was some years back and I have no links. Any regular reader of Pakistani papers should be able to confirm the articles.

Again it is not about any single individual. Would you classify yourself as Ashraf? You know what that would mean?

The foreigners in this case would have come several hundred years back, so 5 generations won't reveal anything. But please it is not about you but about the general ethnic makeup of Pakistan and their ancestry.

It's not just Pakistani people that migrated to India.Hindus from Pakistani side migrated and Muslims from India side migrated to Pakistan.No way in hell you can compare Pakistan with Israel.We don't treat Hindus like the way Israel treats Arabs..(Recently Hindus protested over the ban of Jamaut Dava)We also have a lot of Sikhs living in Pakistan and we also had Hindu Chief Justice.

You are right. At this point the discussion is mainly about the ancestry of the majority Pakistani population.

I was not trying to compare Pakistan and Israel
I was trying to correct the false notion of a Pakistani member that Hindus and Sikhs were not forced out to move out of Pakistan

By the way there are Palestinians and there are Israeli Arabs.

And Israeli Arabs make up more than 10% of population of Israel and they enjoy normal citizenship rights. Morever by the Pakistani law isnt the testimony of a non-muslim is considered to be weaker than that of a muslim
in a court of Law?

JakeGeller son ur not to far we can but will not bomb you we will wipe u off the face of the earth we'll die as Pakistan but you won't be able to wipe off the whole of Muslims...there will be 0 JEWS left and still a billion of Muslims how about that kid...US will bomb us took a lot of guts to post that son till now US hasn't bomb Pakistan knowing since 90's we had nukes what makes you think US will bomb us now...i suggest go bang ur head with ur holy wall so when next time you come back ur head actually starts thinking. Don't live in denial ur at the verge of extinction surrounded by wolves ready to prey in pack...u couldn't actually take on Al-Aqsa Mosque from Muslims till now that's right in ur neighborhood what makes you dream of coming and bombing Pakistan just try it kid we won't let you go back except in coffins of shame... u said India will bomb them say what??we're hearing this for a long time grow some balls boy..By the way let me clear one thing in ur hollow head we are not offended by what you say we're just letting u live a lil longer offended never we're waiting when will you guys sign the contract of extinction we've been waiting for so long...

this article is utter disrespectful to a sovereign country. and a country they call their friend.
Such incident simply prove the hypocrisy of american system. i was think... why not any south asian country raise their voice against it, it as in .. will us ever allow anybody else to carry such strike if they had terrorist on their own soil?????
then again many country tried it like Korea Iran Iraq etc to raise their voice and we all know what happened.
That is why we need unipolar super powers in this world. not a sole superpower and to american dismay world is heading toward that. atleast russia should gain power back to give a stare back to Americans.

Chicago Tribune says

Originally Posted by Ratus Ratus
What! Oh hail the diplomat ???
Chicago Tribune says

Biden reiterated Obama's statements during the campaign that he would strike within Pakistan if there were "actionable intelligence."

It seams title is not properly quoted...but one thing is sure. US not going to stop its droons.

roopesh:
Kindly do not misquote me..
I feel you missed the implied humour in my comment re S-2’s comment about looking more diplomatic.

But from what I see about this palce such humour seems missing..

I wonder how Zardari will feel right now, after handing out a prestigious Pakistani award to Biden.
Great "friend" Biden is.
These Americans continue to step on our souls and our honor as human beings and as Pakistanis.
Our president has no charisma, is in no way possible to deal with these U.S. strikes, our president has said in tough talk that he would not allow for these attacks to continue, but they are continuing despite his big talk, so I wonder, what credibility does Zardari have? Why does my beautiful nation have a moron like him in charge to lead us to our downfall? Especially in these tense times, why couldn't we get someone more appropriate, someone not corrupt? Someone with a little dignity and love for his countrymen/women.
Great job of Zardari, Biden really "deserved" the award.

"...our president has said in tough talk that he would not allow for these attacks to continue, but they are continuing despite his big talk, so I wonder, what credibility does Zardari have? Why does my beautiful nation have a moron like him in charge to lead us to our downfall? Especially in these tense times, why couldn't we get someone more appropriate, someone not corrupt.."

- Looks like Zardari is the 'fall guy'. You know as well as I do that PA has approved (tacit?) of the drone strikes too.

That is strong! :P

I am sure the 'Slime of India' is not the only conservative newspaper out there!
My apologies - that was too strong, and someone ended up getting banned for responding to it.

Please, no one follow my example on this.

ever thought why Lahore a city of 500,000 Hindus,100,000 Sikhs, 600,000 Muslims(pre partition Lahore) became an exclusive muslim city in a matter of few months ? All those people who left so decided one fine morning lets go to India?

Just a quick note - the stats are wrong as you present them, which suggest that Lahore would have a non-Muslim majority pre-partition.

According to the 1941 census:
Accordingly to the 1941 census, Lahore city had a total population of 671,659. It had crossed the 700,000 mark by 1947. It had an absolute majority of 64.5 per cent Muslims and the rest were Hindus and Sikhs as well as a small Christian community. In the district as a whole, Muslims were 60.6 per cent and Hindus and Sikhs together made up 39.4 per cent of the population.

The battle for Lahore and Amritsar

Anyway, back to the topic please. This is not a thread about the partition or the origins of Pakistanis.

- Looks like Zardari is the 'fall guy'. You know as well as I do that PA has approved (tacit?) of the drone strikes too.

He is the constitutionally elected President of Pakistan. Therefore 'the buck stops' with him and his party stalwart the Prime Minister Gillani.

Zardari and Benazir had clearly indicated that they would be supporting the US WoT if they came to power, so their tacit support for the drone strikes is not being forced upon them by the military, if that is what you were suggesting.

They tolerate the strikes out of the same pragmatism the military does.

Title changed (again) to something more reflective of the reality and probability of US action.

"US will act on ‘actionable targets’ in FATA: Biden"

"..so their tacit support for the drone strikes is not being forced upon them by the military, if that is what you were suggesting."

My understanding is that both (Zardari and the PA) are equal partners in the tacit support for the drone strikes. However, you seldom hear any criticism of PA regarding this.

Also, what would Nawaz Sharif's position be regarding this (does he have a choice?)? I'm sure right now he'll be making political capital, but if he comes to power, will Pakistani policy on drones remain intact?

I am also surprised that top govt. officials make statements after every drone strike. Isn't this likely to keep the drone strikes in the spotlight? Aren't they just highlighting their own impotence (esp. as there seems to be no end to these strikes)?

"..so their tacit support for the drone strikes is not being forced upon them by the military, if that is what you were suggesting."

My understanding is that both (Zardari and the PA) are equal partners in the tacit support for the drone strikes. However, you seldom hear any criticism of PA regarding this.
Again, the constitutional leaders of Pakistan are the President and Prime Minister, not the COAS or ACM.

Gen. Kiyani has made a very strong effort to reduce the involvement of the Army in governing the country, and has largely been successful in projecting that perception, with good reason.

It just isn't the military's decision, unless they want a standoff with the civilian leadership, and most Pakistanis and media commentators interpret it that way.

Also, what would Nawaz Sharif's position be regarding this (does he have a choice?)? I'm sure right now he'll be making political capital, but if he comes to power, the 'drone policy' will remain intact.
The policy will probably remain intact under NS - he illustrated the contrast between his nationalistic rhetoric and deeds in his meeting with Bill Clinton over kargil. If he really was adamant about the airstrikes, he would have to compromise on his rhetoric of 'halting operations in FATA'. He can't get away with both.

If he is adamantly opposed to the airstrikes and sticks to his guns, and more amenable to keeping the military operations going, he may use the latter as a means of halting the former - neither side would want an escalation and falling out over them I feel.

The airstrikes get a few targets now and then, but the overwhlming objective is to restore the writ of the Pakistani state in FATA to deny the targets space to begin with, and to that extent the Pak Mil operations are essential, while PREDATOR is not. Push comes to shove, a showdown with Nawaz, if he insists, will likely result in a halt in PREDATOR and continuity in operations.

Hopefully this will not be an issue four years from now (if the government lasts) and may be a reason why NS is not too keen on upsetting the current power setup, since it would place upon his plate the very same mess Zardari is trying to deal with, and NS's stated positions are extremely problematic were he to take charge of the government - make an enemy of the US, or lose face in front of the electorate bu not implementing his promises of halting airstrikes and operations.

He may be hoping that in 3 to 4 years the situation will have stabilized enough for him to implement some of what he has promised.

I am also surprised that top govt. officials make statements after every drone strike. Isn't this likely to keep the drone strikes in the spotlight? They are just highlighting their own impotence (esp. as there seems to be no end to these strikes).
The attacks are widely reported in the press, and get far more coverage than the subsequent condemnations. For the GoP to not condemn would be to turn the tacit endorsement into an overt one. The Pakistani media would have a field day with it.

I don't see the condemnations having the impact you suggest.

zhero's on to something and I've been wondering the same.

Civilian gov't is being hung out to dry by your generals. There's evident reluctance to become more aggressive on the ground and little besides prefunctory general endorsements of civilian authority.

I'm really sensing a reluctance by your army to pour itself into this war and wonder if, even now, they believe that the situation can be finessed to salvage some of it's more enduring objectives of policy? These would seem by the wayside if fully engaged, no? At least in the west?

Sooner or later your parliament or our congress or both are going to ask what the hell have you guys been not discussing and not hearing and not writing down between each other?

The rest of us would really like the straight scoop. Too much nod and wink all around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom