What's new

US wants India to step up training of Afghan army

Bhushan

Reaction score
Country
India
US wants India to step up training of Afghan army

NEW DELHI: With US President Barack Obama spelling out his troop surge and eventual exit policy on Afghanistan, the US wants India to step up its ongoing efforts to train the fledgling Afghan army.

Washington, however, is not pressing for Indian soldiers to be deployed in the war-ravaged country as of now. "It's for the Indian government and military to decide (on troop deployment),'' visiting US Pacific Command chief Admiral Robert F Willard said on Friday.

"We have not sought any ground-level cooperation (military presence) from India. We are very happy with India's significant rebuilding role in Afghanistan,'' he said after meeting top officials here.

Earlier this week, Obama announced that the US would dispatch another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan to "stabilise'' the situation there but, at the same time, vowed to begin the exit of American troops from the region by the summer of 2011.

Admiral Willard said the troop surge in the AfPak region would soon start since the US was interested in "succeeding in Afghanistan and stabilising Pakistan''. But Obama's statement should not be misinterpreted to mean that the subsequent troop withdrawal would begin even before a resolution of the problem was in sight.

While the volatile AfPak region has figured in top-level discussions between India and US, New Delhi remains publicly opposed to deploying troops in the embattled country despite serious strategic concerns.

"We think India is playing a responsible role in Afghanistan,'' said Admiral Willard, adding that it was for India to decide whether it needs to do more there.

"We have been talking to India about its assistance to Afghan people and humanitarian assistance, and its continuing support to see that Afghanistan stabilises,'' he added.

India has undertaken several development projects to rebuild Afghanistan as well as help in training the Afghan army. Around 100 Afghan defence personnel, for instance, are trained at different Indian military academies every year. India has also posted some of its Army officers in Afghanistan to teach basic military fieldcraft and English skills to the Afghan army.

The Hamid Karzai government, in fact, has sought "further capacity-building'' of its armed forces with India's assistance. For instance, Afghanistan is interested in some training programmes for its pilots and technicians of Mi-35 helicopter gunships.

The US, in turn, has asked India if it can send some Indian special forces instructors to train Afghan military personnel in counter-insurgency and commando operations.

^^^
if we not some one replace there, the our strategic will affect a lot. Think the enemy train them, then they teach that their enemy is also enemy of yours... its not good for India!!!

IF that happens , it would be really bad for india. Because Pakistan will support anti indian groups over there. So it would effect the peace process in afghanistan. I am a staunch opposer of this whole plan.

Peace.

IF that happens , it would be really bad for india. Because Pakistan will support anti indian groups over there. .
WHY???? India is providing assistance to Afghan people on humanitarian ground with the permission of afghan govt. What is pakistan's problem.

Let me get it straight. It should have been the right of Pakistan to train Afghan troops but if they can not than India should also not trian them for the same objections will also be raised which would have if Pakistan was to do so.

I prefer US or NATO might train them themselves for if any of the two neighbours did so, than the ongoing lame and weak efforts for peace will die natural death.

KIT Over

WHY???? India is providing assistance to Afghan people on humanitarian ground with the permission of afghan govt. What is pakistan's problem.

if we not some one replace there, the our strategic will affect a lot. Think the enemy train them, then they teach that their enemy is also enemy of yours... its not good for India!!!

Self-Explanatory. The question in first Extract has the answer in Second Extract.

If Pakistan, accoridng to Trichy, will brainwash the 'infant' troops of Afghanistan against India than vice versa can be done by India. Thats the problem.

KIT Over

IF that happens , it would be really bad for india. Because Pakistan will support anti indian groups over there. So it would effect the peace process in afghanistan. I am a staunch opposer of this whole plan.

Peace.

LOL :rofl: threaten with war and sign off with peace :what:

Self-Explanatory. The question in first Extract has the answer in Second Extract.

If Pakistan, accoridng to Trichy, will brainwash the 'infant' troops of Afghanistan against India than vice versa can be done by India. Thats the problem.

KIT Over

Brain wash :what:

Brain wash :what:

According to my firend, Trichy, Pakistan would teach those Afghan troops that India is Pakistan's enemy so it is also the enemy of Afghanistan.

I reffered to that. That sort of teaching is not teaching but brain washing.

KIT Over

According to my firend, Trichy, Pakistan would teach those Afghan troops that India is Pakistan's enemy so it is also the enemy of Afghanistan.

I reffered to that. That sort of teaching is not teaching but brain washing.

KIT Over

NO i got the point but was just wondering can that be possible :what:
Dont you thing eventually Afghan and Pak armies will be against each other because of a disputed border ?

So the whole point of brainwash is gone coz eventually that is what will happen rite ?

Let me get it straight. It should have been the right of Pakistan to train Afghan troops but if they can not than India should also not trian them for the same objections will also be raised which would have if Pakistan was to do so.

I prefer US or NATO might train them themselves for if any of the two neighbours did so, than the ongoing lame and weak efforts for peace will die natural death.

KIT Over
India and Afghanistan are independent countries and fully entitled to take their decisions. India is training afghan army as per request from afghan govt and ISAF. If Pakistan has problem with that raise the issue with afghan govt, but instead you prefer to support anti India elements (read Taliban). Its time for Pakistan to stop poking its nose in other’s internal affair. Pakistan has no right what so ever to speak in this matter. You bombed our embassy twice and it shows your faith in terrorism.

Moreover, afghan army want India to train them because Taliban is trained by Pakistan army. Pakistan can’t train both of them. ;)

India and Afghanistan are independent countries and fully entitled to take their decisions. India is training afghan army as per request from afghan govt and ISAF.

Will India do it for any country? No. Simply because there India finds a sort of interest to heat up the Pakistani boarders with Afghanistan. Infiltration in Balochistan is through the way of Afghanistan without any doubt and thats why you are investing a hell of amount there in the country of ruins.

If Pakistan has problem with that raise the issue with afghan govt, but instead you prefer to support anti India elements (read Taliban). Its time for Pakistan to stop poking its nose in other’s internal affair. Pakistan has no right what so ever to speak in this matter. You bombed our embassy twice and it shows your faith in terrorism.

Same is with India. All you want is a stronghold to the west of Pakistan to put your pressure on. We can't stay unaware from the situation going on in a country whose borders are joining ours. What is the matter with India? Why multiple counselots and nearly one in each city? India has nothing to do with Afghanistan directly? Pakistan has. So its you who is poking nose in other's affairs.

We bombed your embassies? Did the angel of death brought this news to you? Or the departed Indian spies??? Grow up we have given most sacrifices in the war against terrorism and still you ain't see it.

Moreover, afghan army want India to train them because Taliban is trained by Pakistan army. Pakistan can’t train both of them. ;)

Lets see what becomes. If thats so I am certain that the training of Pakistan Army is without doubts and therefore If India is to train Afghan troops, they will certianly are bound to defeat ;). Future will tell.

I am ain't a you did-you did-you did person but you forced me to be. And I am this just for you and not for any sensible Indian.

KIT Over

NO i got the point but was just wondering can that be possible :what:
Dont you thing eventually Afghan and Pak armies will be against each other because of a disputed border ?

Agreed. I don't owe this idea but someone does. A general thought which can be seen in this thread.

If Afghan armies get able to counter the Taliban developing inside Afghanistan, they might come towards Pakistani borders.

So the whole point of brainwash is gone coz eventually that is what will happen rite ?

That won't happen.

Brainwashing was just an ITALIC and I think you know what that means in real. It is Pakistan's or India's influence on Afghanistan whosoever trians her troops.

KIT Over

KIT Over

I say not only troops, b'cos ANA is not a direct threat for IA or GoI.

But the Non-State actors are the threat, after the PA created lot on their home ground:devil:

Back
Top Bottom