What's new

US to resume military training programme for Pakistan: State Dept

Xestan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has approved a resumption of Pakistan’s participation in a coveted US military training and educational programme more than a year after it was suspended, the State Department said on Thursday.

The decision to resume Islamabad’s participation in the International Military Education and Training Programme, or IMET – for more than a decade a pillar of US-Pakistani military ties – underscores warming relations that have followed meetings this year between US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Washington also has credited Islamabad with helping to facilitate negotiations on a US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan. The talks recently resumed between the United States and the Taliban.

The State Department administers IMET. It was a small facet of US security aid programmes for Pakistan worth some $2 billion that remain suspended on orders that Trump abruptly issued in January 2018 to compel the nuclear-armed South Asian nation to crackdown on militants. Trump’s decision, announced in a tweet, blindsided US officials.

After an attack earlier this year by an extremist group that killed at least 40 Indian paramilitary troops, US officials called on Pakistan to take “sustained and irreversible action” against militants allegedly operating from its territory.

A State Department spokesperson said in an email that Trump’s 2018 decision to suspend security assistance authorised “narrow exceptions for programmes that support vital US national security interests.” The decision to restore Pakistani participation in IMET was “one such exception,” she said.

The programme “provides an opportunity to increase bilateral cooperation between our countries on shared priorities,” she added. “We want to continue to build on this foundation through concrete actions that advance regional security and stability.”

A second US official said on condition of anonymity that Pakistan was in the process of selecting officers to send to the United States.

The restart of the programme, however, is subject to approval by Congress. Republican and Democratic aides for the Senate and House of Representatives committees with jurisdiction over the process did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

IMET affords spaces to foreign military officers at US military education institutions, such as the US Army War College and the US Naval War College.

Pakistan’s suspension from the programme in August 2018 prompted the cancellation of 66 slots set aside that year for Pakistani military officers in one of the first known impacts of Trump’s decision to halt security assistance.

The US military traditionally has sought to shield such educational programmes from political tensions, arguing that the ties built by bringing foreign military officers to the United States pay long-term dividends.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2121730/1-us-resume-military-training-programme-pakistan-state-dept/

Why so?

This programme has been there for decades, and it has benefited Pakistan Army a lot.

Do I need to repeat myself? Such programs only benefit the US. They use such avenues to infiltrate and brainwash Pak military officers. Read your own news article again. US officials are desperate to continue this program for a very good reason.

This program benefits Pakistan army in absolutely no way. Our military leaders became hostage and loyal to US pressure and demands.

I was already expecting the Americans to make u-turn on this. America is a nation of cowards and BS. Fake threats and boycotts.

they need more birgadier rizwan type personnel who reveal them state secret for good money and properties in u.s,it now depends on our army how they control such threats

Exactly. Additionally, the Americans look extremely desperate to make a comeback in Pakistan after China Pak cooperation. I don't like these developments. When the Americans behave in such a desperate manner it is usually a bad sign for the host nation.

:tdown::tdown::tdown: so trump was the one who in a fit of rage stopped it. now it will be resumed! f it and you.

The deep state was badly opposed to this move by Trump. It was very unpopular. They were literally begging Trump to restore the program. The deep state wants to keep at least one channel open to exert influence. What better channel than the Pak army itself.

The deep state has pressured Trump to restart this program. No doubt about it. Why would the US government want to restore a program so quickly after suspending it recently? This doesn't look right.

Last edited:
Whenever i hear such news:
why-is-it-that-every-time-imaround-you-my-middle-50072568.png

The deep state was badly opposed to this move by Trump. It was very unpopular. They were literally begging Trump to restore the program. The deep state wants to keep at least one channel open to exert influence. What better channel than the Pak army itself.

The deep state has pressured Trump to restart this program. No doubt about it. Why would the US governments restore a program so quickly after banning it?
Pakistan back then told them to take a hike and signed a training programme with Russia, I bet this they NEVER anticipated. Clearly being on the pedestal and barking like a rabid dog can get you so far. These pressure tactics don't yield results and Pakistan always has options to negate them in the long run.
They need to get a pointer from moohdhi and its henchmen, who used to blabber about isolating Pakistan! how did that pan out?

Do I need to repeat myself? Such programs only benefit the US. They use such avenues to infiltrate and brainwash Pak military officers. Read your own news article again. US officials are desperate to continue this program for a very good reason.

This program benefits Pakistan army in absolutely no way. Our military leaders became hostage and loyal to US pressure and demands.

I was already expecting the Americans to make u-turn on this. America is a nation of cowards and BS. Fake threats and boycotts.

So, by that logic, all those foreign officers training at our Military institutes have been been compromised? What kind of weird logic is that?

Anybody going for training to the US will be turned against Pakistan, you have too little trust in your soldiers, mate.

Pakistan back then told them to take a hike and signed a training programme with Russia, I bet this they NEVER anticipated. Clearly being on the pedestal and barking like a rabid dog can get you so far. These pressure tactics don't yield results and Pakistan always has options to negate them in the long run.
They need to a pointer from moohdhi and its henchmen, who used to blabber about isolating Pakistan! how did that pan out?

In my opinion, Pakistan should simply refuse.

So, by that logic, all those foreign officers training at our Military institutes have been been compromised? What kind of weird logic is that?

Anybody going for training to the US will be turned against Pakistan, you have too little trust in your soldiers, mate.

We don't want to join any US program. Plain and simple. I think you missed the memo on how our relations are hostile. In your mind the US might be an ally. In most other minds the US is clearly a hostile nation.

Back
Top Bottom