What's new

US to buy 500 million of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccines to share with COVAX

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. May he/she RIP.

BD is finally taking the Chinese vaccine as it has nothing else now. Literally last resort.
yes... buried my sister inlaw's husband last night. it has been devastating here. 10 family members gone in 6 months.

our biggest headache is clamping down on these bots fake news which has caused serious consequences; people lost their lives due to stupid and bogus claims e.g. exactly like that idiot Austim powers was doing and what other CCP bots appear to be instigating nefariously on this forum.

You have same challenges - with diabetes in Bangladesh; so strict review need to be in place there.

You have same challenges - with diabetes in Bangladesh; so strict review need to be in place there.

Well the population is still relatively young and slim in BD and so Covid-19 is not going to affect the population as much as in S Africa.

BD was doing OK within its capabilities and was making good progress up to end of April vaccinating it's most vulnerable, but the Indian ban on exporting AstraZeneca at the end of March has thrown that completely off.

Chinese vaccines while better than nothing will cause major issues as it will be even less effective against the Indian variant that is rapidly spreading through BD and I can see major problems when people jabbed with Chinese vaccines die(hope this is minimal of course) while those with AstraZeneca/Pfizer are by in large fine.

BD has no capacity to deal with something like this and I hope that somehow it all works out ok in the end.

Hopefully made in the USA. Not sure why USA strategists were so willing to relay on Indian made vaccines for the covax initiative. Automated vaccine and pharmaceutical factories located in some sparsely inhabited corner of USA make more sense to me, from a supply chain resiliency prospective. Relaying on densely populated parts of the world with poor sanitation that can be decimated by a pandemic is not a bright idea.

Just so we are clear in what you are suggesting. Because of your personal biases against India, we should stop the purchase if it involves India manufacturing any of the vaccine (an existing pharma ecosystem they are known to the world for excelling in), till we build the capability to make them in the US_ while people in the poorest nation around the world die?

Just so we are clear in what you are suggesting. Because of your personal biases against India, we should stop the purchase if it involves India manufacturing any of the vaccine (an existing pharma ecosystem they are known to the world for excelling in), till we build the capability to make them in the US_ while people in the poorest nation around the world die?
The Indians have already failed to deliver and they are dependent on inputs from USA, EU and China. Plus they don't make Pfizer vaccines. American leadership is changing its thinking, manufacturing must return to USA....chief among them is medical/pharmaceuticals industries.

What I say is harsh but true. A highly automated vaccine plant in some sparsely inhabited corner of the USA is far more resilient then relaying on production from densely populated parts of the world with poor sanitation infrastructure that can be decimated in the next pandemic.

I will add further that imported generic drugs can not be trusted for quality. Indian pharmaceutical companies have been found to systematically fake test results to the FDA. Please review:

These industries should return back to the USA.

Last edited:
The Indians have already failed to deliver and they are dependent on inputs from USA, EU and China. Plus they don't make Pfizer vaccines. American leadership is changing its thinking, manufacturing must return to USA....chief among them is medical/pharmaceuticals industries.

What I say is harsh but true. A highly automated vaccine plant in some sparsely inhabited corner of the USA is far more resilient then relaying on production from densely populated parts of the world with poor sanitation infrastructure that can be decimated in the next pandemic.

I will add further that imported generic drugs can not trusted for quality. Indian pharmaceutical companies have been found to systematically fake test results to the FDA. Please review:

These industries should return back to the USA.

Again, they are the world's foremost 'manufacture of generic drugs and well known for it, but you want hundreds of thousands to continue to die because you guys have conflicts with them?

None of the banter you've posted above is based on actual global opinion. In fact, Biden recently said he was opening raw material export to India to help them continue to manufacture the vaccines. If companies faking stuff is the bar for you... the Chinese are world-renowned for sending fake and faulty PPE that countries returned during the COVID crisis. and their vaccines are proving to be mostly ineffective in many countries who tried it and are NOW asking their population to retake the US and EU based vaccines now. But anyway...good luck

they are the world's foremost 'manufacture of generic drugs and well known for it
This statement is false. The best generic drug producers are actually American, European and Israeli companies. I can gauge your origins from this.

This statement is false. The best generic drug producers are actually American, European and Israeli companies. I can gauge your origins from this.

Again, you let your bias overwhelm facts or you are trying to play word games. A simple google search, which I did, would have helped you.

India is a leading country in the world's generic drugs market, exporting US$20.0 billion worth of drugs in the 2019–20 (April–March) year. India exports generic drugs to the United States and the European Union. https://www.gbreports.com/article/the-worlds-pharmacy-indias-generic-drug-industry

Again, you let your bias overwhelm facts or you are trying to play word games. A simple google search, which I did, would have helped you.

India is a leading country in the world's generic drugs market, exporting US$20.0 billion worth of drugs in the 2019–20 (April–March) year. India exports generic drugs to the United States and the European Union. https://www.gbreports.com/article/the-worlds-pharmacy-indias-generic-drug-industry
You are letting your biases cloud you. Go read the NPR article I linked above. Drug batches that fail western standards for any reason are sold by Indian companies inside India or sent to other developing countries. African countries have started to complain about this. Europe and Israel are the top sources for imported generic drugs in the USA (not India).

Reality is that their is no reason why USA should be importing generic drugs at all. It should be exporting them.

You are letting your biases cloud you. Go read the NPR article I linked above. Drug batches that fail western standards for any reason are sold by Indian companies inside India or sent to other developing countries. African countries have started to complain about this. Europe and Israel are the top sources for imported generic drugs in the USA (not India).

Reality is that their is no reason why USA should be importing generic drugs at all. It should be exporting them.

Okay, good news- you have now moved away from claiming they are not the foremost generic drugs manufacturer in the world- to - they have some problematic companies among them. Every country has problematic companies and they are no different and I won't dispute it. US pharma companies have close to trillion dollars in fine for being nefarious too

...BUT again your bias has been suggesting a broad brush approach of blocking them from manufacturing these vaccines, allowing hundreds of thousands to die worldwide in the interim.

The reality is that your version is no bueno for the US govt. Sorry. Have a good day, bud :wave:

Okay, good news- you have now moved away from claiming they are not the foremost generic drugs manufacturer in the world- to - they have some problematic companies among them. Every country has problematic companies and they are no different and I won't dispute it. US pharma companies have close to trillion dollars in fine for being nefarious too

...BUT again your bias has been suggesting a broad brush approach of blocking them from manufacturing these vaccines, allowing hundreds of thousands to die worldwide in the interim.

The reality is that your version is no bueno for the US govt. Sorry. Have a good day, bud :wave:
Indians aren't exporting covid vaccines right now....not sure why your getting all worked up. Actually a huge flaw in the Indian propaganda has been exposed. They are a big producer of vaccines and drugs...yes....but those levels are needed to meet their domestic demands. If they export vaccines they can't cover their own peoples needs....hence why millions of Indian died in their second wave.

Not sure why your going on and on about saving lives. Modi condemned millions of Indians to death because of this false Indian narrative that they can vaccinate the world.

Indians aren't exporting covid vaccines right now....not sure why your getting all worked up. Actually a huge flaw in the Indian propaganda has been exposed. They are a big producer of vaccines and drugs...yes....but those levels are needed to meet their domestic demands. If they export vaccines they can't cover their own peoples needs....hence why millions of Indian died in their second wave.

Not sure why your going on and on about saving lives. Modi condemned millions of Indians to death because of this false Indian narrative that they can vaccinate the world.

Cool thoughts. Your India/Pakistan conflicts are for you guys to entertain yourselves and have nothing to do with me or the topic at hand being discussed. We were discussing the US allowing India or other countries to manufacture our 500 million covid shots we pledged to buy and distribute to the world. You made some broad claims here around manufacturing and I have shown them to be coming from a place of bias. I think the conversation has run its course...bye!

USA is now stepping up to provide vaccines to Africa after India failed to. USA should have taken the lead role in the very beginning. Its like Michael Jordon relaying on some scrub bench warmer to win the championship. That's not bias but the hard truth.

Last edited:
USA is now stepping up to provide vaccines to Africa after India failed to. USA should have taken the lead role in the very beginning. Its like Michael Jordon relaying on some scrub bench warmer to win the championship. That's not bias but the hard truth.

Again- You seem to have difficulty understanding "demand" versus "production" versus "capability to manufacture" versus " urgency/time" we have to do this in. The video above does not say India shut down manufacturing.

You have claimed that they can't be trusted to manufacture a portion of this billion vaccine plan by the US/EU, because
1. Every one of their Pharma companies has poor controls, period (debunked by the fact they are the largest exporter of generic drugs in the world)
2. Their manufacturing can't produce mass quantities. And then submitted the video above as proof.

You need to understand 1. Their manufacturing still continues and never stopped 2. why their exports stopped after exporting 66 million doses to the outside world.

Indians stopped 'exporting' vaccines (AFTER 66 million doses exported) because their demand had internally spiked 10X and they had to switch to supply their population, and as fast as they could do- while also limited by raw materials they needed from other countries!

Understand this- There is nobody in the world that guarantees production levels to help the world - if their 1.2 billion population suddenly needed it asap.

What frankly is odd- is that you want the US to build new facilities, new Pharma manufacturing companies that will take 2 years to be ready for full production- pay US labor costs to manufacture vaccines, and that STILL won't be enough to quell the demand.

We need partners. We can ask India and others to help with those demands. Everyone can chip in. You got to think humanity first before your personal hatred of them. :meeting:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom