What's new

US to back India's membership of UNSC: Obama

India's first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, declined the offer of a permanent seat that was made in 1955 by the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Nerhu instead said it should be given to China, a nation which he long admired.[/B] :woot: :woot:

This just doesn't make sense. How can Nehru so nobly defer UNSC seat to China when the ROC held China's seat and was already a member of the UNSC??? The People's republic wasn't even a member of the UN until 1971 after Nixon's rapprochement.

As a result of these trends, on October 25, 1971, Resolution 2758 was passed by the General Assembly, withdrawing recognition of the ROC as the legitimate government of China, and recognizing the PRC as the sole legitimate government of China. PRC received support from two-thirds of all United Nations' members including approval by the Security Council members excluding the ROC.

I am looking forward to comments from these persons from Pakistan..
NAjAM SETHI , Shahid Masood, Hassan Nissar and off course Zaid hamid..

among these guys i really like najam sethi .the guy talks a lot of sense!!

AFAIK Permanent 5 supports expansion of UNSC without Veto power.:partay:

For permanent members
Brazil, Germany, Japan, Egypt South Africa etc competing...
If UN decide 5+3P than Brazil and Germany are hot favorites remaining left 1 and obviously world will prefer Japan and Egypt over India because you Indians have conflicts with all neighbors,Kashmir and in past India violated many UN resolutions but wish you best of luck....

Good news, at least they finally started to support us, but way more important imo is the fact that they agreed to a reform, which is badly needed! The old system of the UN is not useful anymore and you simply can't left out such big players like India, Japan, Brazil and Germany. I guess South Africa will get a good chance too, to have a representative from Africa too. So 3 x from Europe, 4 x from Asia and one country from Africa, North and South America.

So we are on the right way, but will be interesting to see what they want in return. :what:

[
in 2 years time, after 2012 that is, no one will remember this one-term president any more. so he can now "endorse" or "back" whatever he wants as it bears no legal or any realistic significance for the years ahead.

On the contrary, in exchange for these empty words, India is sending him real $$$. who is smarter now? :lazy:

by the way, China still holds the only whip hand in the whole game.:partay:

Actually the GOP is much more pro India than the Dems...pro India and Anti China is the established policy of the neo cons in the GOP. Extremely surprised to see Obama propose this.I expected this to come from a republican president.

China does hold a veto but looking at the way china did not veto India's waiver in the NSG,I extremely doubt that China would do a sole veto if all the other permanent members favor India's inclusion.

However I doubt the US will support India without supporting Japan and in that case China can easily veto both Japan and India without being the one country against India.

Last edited:
Make it short and sweet, I'm sure no one minds too much. Besides I doubt this warrants a full debate.

CS, no need to push them, they can't provide any credible stuff other than some excerpt from NYT, BBC, or even TOI(let).

Even after you win the debate on this, they won't stop propagating this fake stuff. I have thumbed through the thread posted by you regarding Sino-Indo conflict in 1962, many enlightening truths have been unveiled by both Indians and Chinese in that thread. Does that stop them from calling us backstabber? No, they keep on feeding on the India-being-betrayed sh!t.

After dealing with Indians for such a long time, you should know them better than anyone else.

CS, no need to push them, they can't provide any credible stuff other than some excerpt from NYT, BBC, or even TOI(let).

Even after you win the debate on this, they won't stop propagating this fake stuff. I have thumbed through the thread posted by you regarding Sino-Indo conflict in 1962, many enlightening truths have been unveiled by both Indians and Chinese in that thread. Does that stop them from calling us backstabber? No, they keep on feeding on the India-being-betrayed sh!t.

After dealing with Indians for such a long time, you should know them better than anyone else.

Thanks, with regard to those sino-indian war threads, they seldom attract the ignorant one spouting the lies. The trolls lose interest pretty quickly when there no flames and those who contribute are already open minded and more academically inclined.

Back
Top Bottom