What's new

US reconnaissance plane intercepted by PLA jet over Yellow Sea

Thunder Bolt

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
rc135-114709_copy1.jpg

A Boeing RC-135 reconnaissance aircraft of the United States Air Force was intercepted by a JH-7 Flying Leopard fighter bomber of the People's Liberation Army Navy on Sept. 15, according to Bill Gertz, a senior editor of the Washington Free Beacon, in an article written on Sept. 22.

Peter Cook, the press secretary of the Pentagon, confirmed the incident on Tuesday for the first time, after it had already been reported in the Washington Free Beacon. He said that the RC-135 was 80 miles east of the Shandong peninsula above the Yellow Sea when it was intercepted by the JH-7. Cook said that the interception of the JH-7 was perceived as unsafe by the RC-135 air crew. There was no indication of a near-collision, however.

"My understanding is, and I don't have all the details, but the pilot believed that the plane passed in an unsafe fashion in front of the plane," Cook said.
Senator John McCain, the Senate Armed Services Committee chair, said the incident showed that China is continuing its pattern of aggressive behavior in the Asia-Pacific region despite the fact that Chinese president Xi Jinping is set to begin his visit to the United States this week.

"That this flight came amid negotiations of rules for air-to-air encounters and just one week ahead of President Xi’s arrival in the United States raises further questions about China’s intentions and the Obama administration’s response thus far," said the Republican senator for Arizona. Washington and Beijing are unable to reach any agreement yet regarding the control of aerial interception in the region because China demands the United States to stop all surveillance flights near its coast.
US reconnaissance plane intercepted by PLA jet over Yellow Sea|WCT

Yes, just like Gulf of Tonkin incident.

It is always a dangerous 'interception' for the Americans.

just a matter of time before they crash into one of our recon planes . when that time comes I wonder how Obongo will handle it or dare I say it Hillary Clinton :rofl:

i don't think China would bat an eye to losing a JH-7 and the pilots (expendable ). a RC-135 costs what like 15 times more and carries 20+ Americans airmen.

:pop::pop:

just a matter of time before they crash into one of our recon planes . when that time comes I wonder how Obongo will handle it or dare I say it Hillary Clinton :rofl:

i don't think China would bat an eye to losing a JH-7 and the pilots (expendable ). a RC-135 costs what like 15 times more and carries 20+ Americans airmen.

Hillary is actually the tough one i think...

Youll have to ask President Bernie Sanders I suppose, President Trump will just call up president Xi and tell him he's fired.

what was the US plan doing near the yellow sea?
Yellow sea is not in China side?

Why wouldn't it be out there? So long as outside 12nmi zone, it is is over international waters and in international airspace.

yellowseanormaneinstein_438x0_scale.JPG

Yes, just like Gulf of Tonkin incident.

It is always a dangerous 'interception' for the Americans.
I'm sure they bothered to film it, just in case .

Why wouldn't it be out there? So long as outside 12nmi zone, it is is over international waters and in international airspace.

yellowseanormaneinstein_438x0_scale.JPG

I'm sure they bothered to film it, just in case .

Why all the hoopla over Russian Bears and MiGs passing near the British territory or Scandinavian countries?

Point is, this sort of stuff goes around all the time, and it's nothing new. Some people make a good meal out of it, especially the British as if the Bears were just about to drop a nuke on them.

US will be forced to act or else it will look many little allies in Asia.

Youll have to ask President Bernie Sanders I suppose, President Trump will just call up president Xi and tell him he's fired.
President Trump would not say: "You're fired."

President Trump would give the USAF the order: "Fire." :lol:

Why all the hoopla over Russian Bears and MiGs passing near the British territory or Scandinavian countries?

Point is, this sort of stuff goes around all the time, and it's nothing new. Some people make a good meal out of it, especially the British as if the Bears were just about to drop a nuke on them.
You do have to announced your flight and flightpath in advance so as not to cause trouble for civilian air traffic. Which over the north sea etc is quite heavy. Don't know exactly how that is over Yellow Sea.

The Russian sometimes deliberately fly into certain areas with known thick civilian traffic while not filing or keeping a flightpath. That is intentionally disruptive. Hence the occasional hoopla

Last edited:
This is an immature and belligerent attitude shown by the Chinese crew.The distance between South Korea and Shandong peninsula is just about 185KM. If the US plane was flying 80miles east of Shandong peninsula as reported that indicates it was flying closer to S.Korean coast than China. It is a clear case of the chinese pilot either losing his head or his bearing. Also possible is that the Chinese craft was trying to sneak closer to S.Korean air space and got surprised by the US plane unintentionally and decided too make a dash.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom