What's new

US Prepared to Cooperate With India ‘as never before’

Let's have a glance at all the stuff that the India-US deals are likely to yield now & in the foreseeable future.

Air Force
ALREADY ORDERED/DELIVERED
Boeing C-17A Globemaster-III (10)
Lockheed C-130J Super Hercules (6)
Boeing AH-64E Apache Guardian (22)
Boeing CH-47F Chinook (15)
General Electric F404 turbofan for Tejas Mk-1
General Electric F414 turbofan for Tejas Mk-2
AGM-84 Harpoon-II ALCMs
CBU-105 sensor-fuzed munitions

FUTURE ORDERS
Lockheed C-130J Super Hercules (6 more); upto 40 or so possible if MTA is cancelled
Boeing AH-64E Apache Guardian (upto 60)
Boeing CH-47F Chinook (upto 45)
advanced GE F414 version for AMCA (?)

Navy
ALREADY ORDERED/DELIVERED
Boeing P-8I Neptune (8)
Sikorsky S-70B-2 Sea Hawk (16)
Jalashwa-class LPD (1)
UGM-84 Harpoon-II SLCMs, AGM-84 Harpoon-II ALCMs
General Electric F404 for NLCA Mk-1
General Electric F414 for NLCA Mk-2

FUTURE ORDERS
Boeing P-8I Neptune (upto 26 possible)
Sikorsky S-70B-2 Sea Hawk (upto 48 or more)
Sikorsky CH-148 Cyclone (upto 32)
more air-launched Harpoons
advanced GE F414 version for N-AMCA (?)

EMALS for IAC-2 carrier

Army
FUTURE ORDERS
M-777 howitzer (145; upto 500 or so required)
FGM-148 Javelin (40 to 60 thousand rounds; licensed production)
SMAW-2NE (around 40 thousand rounds or more; licensed production)
joint development of next-gen seekers & warheads for above manportable launchers

M-1126 Stryker (around 300 for light-tank requirement;?)

++

Members, please add anything I missed out;
It might seem like much when you first look at it, but compared to the deals with Russia & Israel, it really isn't that high. Ofcourse the defence relationship between India & US today is very valuable (deal prices) and quantifiable compared to only 10 years ago...but if US really wants to challenge Russia as the principle weapons-tech provider, they have a long, long way to go. And their system+congress won't allow them to go halfway.

In short, deals with US will develop at their own pace. There is comparison with Russia size-wise, or even with Israel when it comes to joint-development and technology-sharing.

Javelin? Its Spike all the way. No Javelins
And no S70B ordered till now.
Cyclones ? It will be most likely EC725s.
Also AGM Harpoons for Airforce ? I think we operate harpions only from P8i and will operate in future from Shishumar Class.

But you forgot 6 Sea kings we received with Jalashwa, Apache will come with Hell fire missiles.

For Apache the number is 22+11 confirmed
And Chinook 15+7 confirmed.

But you forgot 6 Sea kings we received with Jalashwa, Apache will come with Hell fire missiles.

For Apache the number is 22+11 confirmed
And Chinook 15+7 confirmed.
When we are receiving first Apache any idea?

Javelin? Its Spike all the way. No Javelins

Till now only Spikes ordered are the Spike-SR for special forces.

And no S70B ordered till now.

That's right. It's already been selected though.

Cyclones ? It will be most likely EC725s.

Could go either way. I gave US the benefit of doubt.

Also AGM Harpoons for Airforce ? I think we operate harpions only from P8i and will operate in future from Shishumar Class.

Jaguars from IAF's maritime strike squadrons carry Harpoons.

Till now only Spikes ordered are the Spike-SR for special forces.

That's right. It's already been selected though.

Could go either way. I gave US the benefit of doubt.

Jaguars from IAF's maritime strike squadrons carry Harpoons.

Opposite to the order of direct import of first batch of Spike from Israel,we are working to assemble them here only from kits from Israel initially and later fully. And they will replace the MILANs in service.

Javelin is no till now. The only option of Javelin at present is from a JV between India and US for next generation Javelin which has not moved forward beyond proposals and seems to have been put on backburner for quite some time.

On EC725s, it should get the benefit of doubt because Airbus has revealed that Indian coast guard is looking to procure this system and it will make sense for IN and IA to go for a same system for similar category .

Oh thanks, Jaguars simply went out of my mind.

@nik141993
But our pilots should be visiting US by year end as the training to operate Apache is a 2 year course.

I don't know but I assume the article is correct. Although I don't doubt that America wishes better relations with India, our historic regional ally has always been Pakistan. I discount China as being a major factor in the equation. Here on PDF, China-American conflict is far more pronounced than the reality. The US may have conflicts with China but we still have a much more intertwined and mutually beneficial relationship with China, than we do with Russia for example, which has been India's historic ally.

But India has deep enmity with both China & Pakistan. Do you think US would support India in a future war against China-Pakistan or would it side with China-Pakistan alliance against India?

Last edited:
ok ! how about used ones.

The biggest thing US can do for India is to allow Israel to export Arrow 2 and Davids Sling.

But India has deep enmity with both China & Pakistan. Do you think US support India in a future war against China-Pakistan or would it side with China-Pakistan alliance against India?

It would simply keep out and freeze spares and support.

The question is whose? India's or Pakistan's or both? :enjoy:

In case of an conflict between India and China of course, in case of India and Pakistan it would back its cold war era ally and keep neutral officially. You see Central Asia is not only under our radar, and that's where the importance of Pakistan, for US increases.

In case of India vs China the business interests of Americans will keep them from a direct support to India.

Indirect support in intelligence will happen. Like 62.

In case of an conflict between India and China of course, in case of India and Pakistan it would back its cold war era ally and keep neutral officially. You see Central Asia is not only under our radar, and that's where the importance of Pakistan, for US increases.

In case of India vs China the business interests of Americans will keep them from a direct support to India.

Indirect support in intelligence will happen. Like 62.

But US Business interests in China would drastically come down while US Business Interests in India would drastically go up in the next 7-10 years. DTTI is not just about defence deals. There are some huge stakes at play here.

But India has deep enmity with both China & Pakistan. Do you think US would support India in a future war against China-Pakistan or would it side with China-Pakistan alliance against India?
It would try to stay neutral, in a scenario you describe. If it was purely India vs. China, America would definitely side with India. If it was purely India vs. Pakistan, I think the US would quietly side with Pakistan, although publicly call for a cease-fire and negotiations.

Back
Top Bottom