What's new

US Power Will Decline Under Trump, Says Futurist Who Predicted Soviet Collapse

Certainly they did affect Pakistan more. You know why, don't you? Because Pakistan was much more reliant on US back then. You missed the entire "fear of communism" and now "fear of China" part, did't you? America's entire diplomacy on India is based on keeping India from inclining towards perceived US 'enemies'. Back then it was Russia/USSR, now it is China. I have already told you, US sent the entire USS Enterprise fleet to defend east Pakistan in 71. Also, they were deathly worried about India's attack on Western front. This was seen in the declassified conversation between Kissinger and Nixon.

As far as terrorism go, remember who started it. Remember who still calls terrorist in Kashmir as 'Freedom Fighters'? Who sent terrorists to Mumbai. If you play with fire, expect to get burnt sometimes. Also, when you brand someone as your mortal enemy, where does the question of morality comes from? You were always fighting with gloves off to begin with.

And I find it really funny that you bring Trump and China in this discussion. Remember, only president/president-elect till date to question One China policy is Trump. His foreign and especially military policy is yet to be seen. And, equally funny is the fact that same Obama who had launched pivot to pacific rushed to reaffirm US's stance on 'One China' policy. If any one has irked China lately, it is Trump. It is merely your conjecture that US will withdraw from Pacific. If Trump needs to deliver all the Jobs he has promised, he will need to invest 'bigly' in manufacturing and only manufacturing left in US now is Defence items. I wonder how can China help him here other than by playing the role of 'enemy' which US needs to justify all the defense spending. His plans are simple. Anatagonize China and justify military spending.

Continuing my reply with this new development:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38281954

Rex Tillerson: Trump's new secretary of state

The 64-year-old, Texas-born head of Exxon Mobil has worked for the company in the US, Yemen and Russia, and is known for his close ties with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

As I said, Trump is a businessman, he needs deals. He has already mentioned that he is not interested in regime change non sense. China and Russia can provide him plenty of deals. CIA is already moaning that Russia helped Trump in election. The "commies" are coming back and this time around, Pakistan is standing with them.

Now consider how close China and Russia are. And as EX MI6 cheif said that era of Pax Americana is over. This is a new world order. In which your country utility as a front state against Chinese expansion has lost its value. You are fully entitled though to deluded yourself that America need Chinese bogeyman to keep the defense industry going and without it the Americans will go out their jobs. Biggest bogeyman is Russia not China and this assignment would clear a lot of delusion in new Delhi.

Most Americans would be happy to see "pax Americana" relegated to the dustbin of history. Americans have contributed far, far too much to helping ungrateful people all over the world. It's time for other cultures to sink or swim. Trump's call of "America, first!" captures the weariness Americans feel with trying to maintain "pax Americana". Some, like China, will probably swim, if they can overcome their "one-child" policy legacy over the next 40 years. Others, like Syria, Egypt and Pakistan, are probably gonna sink. To me, the inexplicable is South America. These nations have more natural resources than most other nations, especially viewed on a per capita basis. They shoulder no responsibility to anyone else in the world. And yet, they seem to be stuck at 3rd-plus world status. Why?

Last edited:
To me, the inexplicable is South America. These nations have more natural resources than most other nations, especially viewed on a per capita basis. They shoulder no responsibility to anyone else in the world. And yet, they seem to be stuck at 3rd-plus world status. Why?

Short answer: It takes more than just resources to build a strong nation.

But that is specifically what I am not talking about. We were attacked by those pirates. Americans were seized. We should have intervened there.

Again, that is not what I am talking about.
I understood what you were and were not talking about.

My point was that while US responses were legitimate, each response further strengthened the idea that the US as a rising power simply cannot be a neutral power. As long as there are relationships, those relationships inevitably presents the US with situations where the US must chose a side, if not for ideological and political reasons, then simply for economic ones.

Look at the China and Africa relationship today. The Chinese government is learning the same lessons as the US did. Testimonies from NGOs and native Africans are repleted with instances where the Chinese government meddled in the internal affairs of African countries where China have long term strategic interests.

Even the movies have the correct insight where in the Avengers Civil War, the character Vision said of themselves: Our Very Strength Incites Challenge. Challenge Incites Conflict. And Conflict Breeds Catastrophe.

Am sorry, but as an immigrant, and especially one from a country that the US have a troubled past with, it is very difficult for me to see how any American could reasonably believe the US could actually live the way the country's Founding Fathers want. I understand the reverence Americans have for these men and I share the same admiration, but Jefferson had a vision where the US was primarily an agricultural society, others expressed disdain for a standing army, institutional slavery tolerated, and many other national issues that these men did not envisioned and anticipated. They were truly geniuses in their own rights, but also in their own time.

History is a chain of causes and effects where the effects from one cause becomes the cause for the next link in the chain. Talk to any engineer or any soldier, essentially a problem solver, where he was inserted into a situation and expected to fix that situation, am sure you know we both have been in those situations many times and that often, if not usually, we do not have the luxury of 'root cause' analyses. We have to deal with the existing factors that created the situation knowing full well those 'root causes' have been too entrenched in the history of that situation.

You and I are recipients of the consequences of what past US leaders, going all the way back to the Founding Fathers, decided on the course of the country. There is no telling on what kind of conflicts could our actions create should the US were to withdraw from global affairs where each withdrawal, no matter how gradually, could be taken as an opportunity to do US and/or an ally harm.

The problem is we Americans have been conditioned to think we are the world's policeman, that we have some sort of magic "right" to tell other countries how to order themselves, which besides being immoral, would be easier to swallow except....we. keep. getting. it. wrong!
It is not so much that the US is the world's policeman because a policeman requires a standing justice system, and the global order is essentially anarchic in scope. Rather, the US is seen as a strongman that while whose decisions may not have been wise and effective, the strongman is perceived as generally benevolent. Like it or not, that is our position in the world.

It is not so much that the US is the world's policeman because a policeman requires a standing justice system, and the global order is essentially anarchic in scope. Rather, the US is seen as a strongman that while whose decisions may not have been wise and effective, the strongman is perceived as generally benevolent. Like it or not, that is our position in the world.
Good point about the justice system. If any thing, in recent years (last decade) the US has contributed to a decline/dismantling of the standing international law and justice system. Contrary to the immediate post WW2 period.

Good point about the justice system. If any thing, in recent years (last decade) the US has contributed to a decline/dismantling of the standing international law and justice system. Contrary to the immediate post WW2 period.
That is influenced by neo-liberal economics going out of control.

That is influenced by neo-liberal economics going out of control.
That is a generalization not supported by data. I was specifically referring to support for and abidance by a system of international law and associated institutions since 2001.

Most Americans would be happy to see "pax Americana" relegated to the dustbin of history. Americans have contributed far, far too much to helping ungrateful people all over the world. It's time for other cultures to sink or swim. Trump's call of "America, first!" captures the weariness Americans feel with trying to maintain "pax Americana". Some, like China, will probably swim, if they can overcome their "one-child" policy legacy over the next 40 years. Others, like Syria, Egypt and Pakistan, are probably gonna sink. To me, the inexplicable is South America. These nations have more natural resources than most other nations, especially viewed on a per capita basis. They shoulder no responsibility to anyone else in the world. And yet, they seem to be stuck at 3rd-plus world status. Why?

Dont worry about Pakistan, we are 200 million strong big and ugly enough nation to sort our way going into future. Its the nations like India who have put all eggs in American basket and feeling cocky ever since America brought them under its wings, its them who will fall from grace.

The problem with Americans in general is, they are terribly misinformed about geopolitics and what kind of nutcase leaders they have got. Pax Americana may be dead at grass root level among American masses but when you have leaders like Hillary Clinton, who by the way got more votes then trump overall, believes that it is America who discovered Japan, I am afraid, Pax Americana is live and kicking in the power corridors of America.

That is a generalization not supported by data. I was specifically referring to support for and abidance by a system of international law and associated institutions since 2001.
What interenational law? the Hague is the only body as such that is supposed to enforce it and it is sitting in the west.
The UN security council has the majority of its members from NATO who can veto any resolution regardless of majority or minority which essentially makes the body useless as it represents interests and not the greater good.
Both the IMF and WB have people appointed by special interests within these nations, so as such; these institutions only end up serving the greater agenda of unlimited growth and having the south provide for the north.

What interenational law? the Hague is the only body as such that is supposed to enforce it and it is sitting in the west.
The UN security council has the majority of its members from NATO who can veto any resolution regardless of majority or minority which essentially makes the body useless as it represents interests and not the greater good.
Both the IMF and WB have people appointed by special interests within these nations, so as such; these institutions only end up serving the greater agenda of unlimited growth and having the south provide for the north.
Any time nations/states enter into an international agreement, that essentially constitutes international law. The institutions follow agreements, not vice versa. UNCLOS is a good example.

Only the gullible take predictions seriously. Smart people concentrate on details and economics.

Back
Top Bottom