What's new

US-Philippines Reach Deal on US Military Access

Krueger

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
Manila will welcome the U.S. military back to the country after ejecting it in 1992.

zachary-keck_q-36x36.jpg

By Zachary Keck
March 14, 2014

thediplomat_2014-03-14_12-12-47-386x257.jpg

The Philippines announced on Friday that Washington has accepted its draft for a new agreement granting the U.S. military greater access to bases in the Southeast Asia country.

In a press conference on Friday, Undersecretary of Defense Pio Lorenzo Batino said that consensus has been reached and just the final details are being hammered out. “Consensus was arrived at on many provisions of the draft agreement,” Batino said according to Reuters, adding that the deal was 80 percent done.

The Philippine Inquirer summarized Batino as saying that the “U.S. had accepted the Philippine draft of the proposed Agreement on Enhanced Defense Cooperation.” It went on to quote him as explaining that the draft “more comprehensively articulated the Philippines’ positions, notably its consistency with the Philippine Constitution and relevant laws, as well as mindfulness of the country’s historical experiences.”

Manila has greatly limited the U.S. military’s operations in the Philippines since kicking it out of Subic Bay—the headquarters of the 7th Fleet at the time—in 1992. For the most part, Washington’s been limited to assisting in counterterrorism operations in the Philippines, and only then since 9/11. However, Manila’s rising tensions with China over parts of the South China Sea has renewed its interest in granting the U.S. military greater access to bases like Subic Bay.

The two sides have long been negotiating the new terms of the access that the U.S. military will receive. The apparent breakthrough came during the bilateral strategic dialogue the two sides held in Washington, DC last week. The two sides are looking to finalize the agreement in time for President Barack Obama’s trip to the Philippines next month. Batino said during the press conference on Friday that the deal will not have to be ratified by the Philippine Senate, where it likely would have encountered stiff opposition from some factions.

Citing a “a military official with knowledge of the negotiations,” Reuters reported the terms of the current draft as granting the U.S. joint use of military facilities like Manila, Clark, Palawan, Cebu, Nueva Ecija, and La Union. However, according to this military official—whose nationality was not entirely clear—the Philippines is refusing to grant Washington access to civilian airfields and bases, most notably Subic Bay.

Still, China will almost certainly strongly protest the deal given that it views the U.S. pivot as designed to encircle and contain it. As I and many others have argued repeatedly, China has no one but itself to blame for the Philippines’ new willingness to welcome back the U.S. military. Far more than other South China Sea claimants, Beijing has targeted the Philippines relentlessly in recent years, including ejecting it from the Scarborough Shoal.

As I previously reported, just this week China has been blockading civilian vessels trying to bring supplies to Filipino Marines stationed on the Second Thomas Shoal. So far, Manila has been breaking this blockade by airlifting supplies to the Marines, instead of transporting them by sea.

US-Philippines Reach Deal on US Military Access | The Diplomat

Last edited:
@Zero_wing @ManilaBoy45

does this deal mean that bases like Subic Bay and Clark Airbase will be open for USA???that deal will be a game changer,giving USA a firm presence in SCS what they lacked.

Does the deal included brothel? LOL

You can bet on it. Its a big part of their economy.

I reported both of these quotes.respect fellow members and their nation.

China seems to have played right into the hands of USA by bullying in the SCS

you're right.USA's "Asian Pivot" was completely fault of China's greed.see,I'm not happy about USA getting base in SCS,which will escalate things surely.but Philippines becoming desperate day by day...probably,by this decision,they'll increase their stake,but things now will simply get more complicated.probably,with this decision,we'll loose the hope of solving this issue multilaterally and peacefully.

Manila will welcome the U.S. military back to the country after ejecting it in 1992.

zachary-keck_q-36x36.jpg

By Zachary Keck
March 14, 2014

thediplomat_2014-03-14_12-12-47-386x257.jpg

The Philippines announced on Friday that Washington has accepted its draft for a new agreement granting the U.S. military greater access to bases in the Southeast Asia country.

In a press conference on Friday, Undersecretary of Defense Pio Lorenzo Batino said that consensus has been reached and just the final details are being hammered out. “Consensus was arrived at on many provisions of the draft agreement,” Batino said according to Reuters, adding that the deal was 80 percent done.

The Philippine Inquirer summarized Batino as saying that the “U.S. had accepted the Philippine draft of the proposed Agreement on Enhanced Defense Cooperation.” It went on to quote him as explaining that the draft “more comprehensively articulated the Philippines’ positions, notably its consistency with the Philippine Constitution and relevant laws, as well as mindfulness of the country’s historical experiences.”

Manila has greatly limited the U.S. military’s operations in the Philippines since kicking it out of Subic Bay—the headquarters of the 7th Fleet at the time—in 1992. For the most part, Washington’s been limited to assisting in counterterrorism operations in the Philippines, and only then since 9/11. However, Manila’s rising tensions with China over parts of the South China Sea has renewed its interest in granting the U.S. military greater access to bases like Subic Bay.

The two sides have long been negotiating the new terms of the access that the U.S. military will receive. The apparent breakthrough came during the bilateral strategic dialogue the two sides held in Washington, DC last week. The two sides are looking to finalize the agreement in time for President Barack Obama’s trip to the Philippines next month. Batino said during the press conference on Friday that the deal will not have to be ratified by the Philippine Senate, where it likely would have encountered stiff opposition from some factions.

Citing a “a military official with knowledge of the negotiations,” Reuters reported the terms of the current draft as granting the U.S. joint use of military facilities like Manila, Clark, Palawan, Cebu, Nueva Ecija, and La Union. However, according to this military official—whose nationality was not entirely clear—the Philippines is refusing to grant Washington access to civilian airfields and bases, most notably Subic Bay.

Still, China will almost certainly strongly protest the deal given that it views the U.S. pivot as designed to encircle and contain it. As I and many others have argued repeatedly, China has no one but itself to blame for the Philippines’ new willingness to welcome back the U.S. military. Far more than other South China Sea claimants, Beijing has targeted the Philippines relentlessly in recent years, including ejecting it from the Scarborough Shoal.

As I previously reported, just this week China has been blockading civilian vessels trying to bring supplies to Filipino Marines stationed on the Second Thomas Shoal. So far, Manila has been breaking this blockade by airlifting supplies to the Marines, instead of transporting them by sea.

US-Philippines Reach Deal on US Military Access | The Diplomat

USA is still USA... just so we know

My Indian friend, respect fellow members and nation? Are you stupid or what? That monkey president called our nation "Nazi" and that banana guy in here called as Imperialist Nazi and all sort of names? Do you see any of us report to the mod? LOL

well,I didn't expect any better reply from you.you're not in your backyard anymore where you're chatting with your friend.you're in an forum where your reply will create an impression on you and your country.and by seeing your reply(and some other members as well),anybody will conclude you're completely racist towards Philippines(and you're clever enough to drag their leader's comment into it.but see,I'm here in this forum long enough,and I know how you guys behaved even before that comment).if you find anything abusing,all you've to do is to report it.

@WebMaster @Oscar @Aeronaut

taking cheap shots towards any particular country is allowed???especially using topics like "Prostitution"???

well,I didn't expect any better reply from you.you're not in your backyard anymore where you're chatting with your friend.you're in an forum where your reply will create an impression on you and your country.and by seeing your reply(and some other members as well),anybody will conclude you're completely racist towards Philippines(and you're clever enough to drag their leader's comment into it.but see,I'm here in this forum long enough,and I know how you guys behaved even before that comment).if you find anything abusing,all you've to do is to report it.

@WebMaster @Oscar @Aeronaut

taking cheap shots towards any particular country is allowed???especially using topics like "Prostitution"???
Have you seen that guy @Zero_wing response . Why don't you call him out?

Sooner or later, all nations realize that the USA is both right and good ......

Have you seen that guy @Zero_wing response . Why don't you call him out?

I'm not here to drag one member against another to fight..if ever he posted any offensive reply,its your duty to report it.I'm really tired seeing Vietnamese,Philipine or Chinese member calling each other "Monkey","banana" and other sort of "Racial Remarks"..few days ago,one Chinese poster called me "monkey" or something..when I tried to educate that member by posting few pics,Mod gave me one strike.so,I learned my lesson,report it back.no more name calling..when you'll get one,you too will learn that lesson.

I'm not here to drag one member against another to fight..if ever he posted any offensive reply,its your duty to report it.I'm really tired seeing Vietnamese,Philipine or Chinese member calling each other "Monkey","banana" and other sort of "Racial Remarks"..few days ago,one Chinese poster called me "monkey" or something..when I tried to educate that member by posting few pics,Mod gave me one strike.so,I learned my lesson,report it back.no more name calling..when you'll get one,you too will learn that lesson.
You should given that lesson to the Vietnamese, Filipino, and your people, Indian itself, than to us. Most of the topics in here are predominantly Chinese-related and you have those people come in and talk trash on us, yet you rarely ever see us crying to anyone for help. The one who instigated the war of words is always you people but hey, it's the always the Chinese fault... isn't it? LOL

China has bullied no one, and as usual you swallow American propaganda without so much as a second thought. China reacted mildly to extreme provocations by the Filipinos (who murdered a Taiwanese fisherman nowhere near their territorial waters earlier this year).

The Philippines and America play up Chinese actions in an attempt to start a war with China, in which China will be barely scratched but the Philippines annihilated. That's the price America is willing to pay to do minor diplomatic damage to China. And of course India wants in so they can justify their racist, genocidal empire in the Northeast.

Really how so? Your assumption of this base means anything is well, not entirely right. The US can project power with or without bases, it's not like without this base US is limited.

The decision of the US will rest on a few things and won't have much to do with Chinese actions or inactions. Is the Americans going to give up Asian theatre dominance if we do nothing? No, the disrespect they shown us in the past is enough evidence that without a presence in these waters, we will never stand on equal footing with them.

I'm sure being Indian you know of the American attitude, no?

Currently, our coast guard is advancing further and further. We are willing to drag this out, but Americans can't, even without declining, they know their position will weaken, because they are not getting any stronger, while we are narrowing the gap. So no, if anything, our coast guard strategy is very good, it has led to the reclaiming of quite a bit of sea already.

The decision by the Philippine government allowing American forces more access was just a reaction to China's aggressive actions in West Philippine sea. This will deter the bully of Asia and make them realize that their actions will not be tolerated by a civilized world.

Back
Top Bottom