What's new

US-Pakistan Relations - Do we really need each other ?

It seems that many Pakistanis do not accept the position that those who hold power in the US and NATO HATE and cannot accept a Muslim country which has nuclear weapons and is allied with China.
They will use their diplomacy to deceive, trick up, force Pakistan into a corner whilst putting 100% blame on Pakistan. Pakistani diplomacy should be wary of this when dealing with such.

We need each other but from far, no need to be close like cold war era.. USA should invest in Pakistan, just like Chinese are doing and stop the aid so our corrupt leader have to do something else instead of corruption.

What is this? No one forced you to start a war , you did it on your own free will . You knew the risks , stop blaming others for your own bad judgment .
The US needed a way to get into land locked Afghanistan and then set up a supply route from the sea - who was going to do that - Iran...? If we declined it would have brang us to the brink of war; anyway the past is past, Pakistan has a bright future and terrorism is fading away.

Too much has been written on this topic for me to contribute anything new.

During the 1950’s India & Communist Chinas were best of friends. I remember ‘Hindi Chinee bhai bhai’ slogan after signing of the 8 year Five Point agreement on peaceful coexistence in 1954. To the best my knowledge there was no border dispute between India & China before 1959. It was only Dalai Lama was given Asylum in India along with thousands of Tibetan refugees that India /China relations turned sour.

During the cold war era, US wanted to encircle the Communist block which then included China and was looking for client states. Pakistan could never match Indian Military machine quantitatively, hence her policy was to improve her military in quality this was done thru membership of Seato & Cento. Eisenhower administration built up Pakistan’s Army, Airforce & Navy ostensibly to fight the Communists. Nearly all the aircrafts & naval vessels until 1965 were acquired under the military assistance program, Pak Army got Patton tanks and artillery guns.

Re 1965 war, let us be clear, Pak military had been armed by the US as a bulwark against the Communist expansion, not to fight the Indians. Hence when 1965 war broke out US embargoed sale of spare parts & military hardware to Pakistan.

India with her greater financial resources had been able to increas her military capabilities multifold following the 1962 skirmish with China & 1965 war with Pakistan. By 1971 Indian armed forces, especially the Navy, were far stronger than Pakistan's. On the other hand Pakistan switched to Frances & China for the supply of military hardware but lack of financial resources prevented Pak Navy from modernization.

Nixon administration felt grateful to Pakistan for her facilitating the thawing of US/China relations and there was a clear tilt toward Pakistan. Hence, to forestall any untoward action by the US; in August 1971 Indra Gandhi signed a ‘Treaty of Friendship ‘with USSR before invading East Pakistan. By that time plight of Bengali refugees in India and their tales of Pak military atrocities had created unfavourable world opinion toward Pak military action.

Rightly or wrongly, I hold ZA Bhutto who had the slogan “Uther tum, ither hum” and precipitated the crisis by refusing to sit in the same parliament as Mujib ur Rahman partly responsible for 1971 debacle. ZAB’s culpability is also mentioned in the Humood ur Rahman report commissioned by Bhutto himself.

As far as US –Pakistan relations are concerned, in my humble opinion expectation from both the sides have been unrealistically high. It is unrealistic for US law makers to expect that Pakistan would toe the US line even if it goes against the Pakistan’s interest. Simultaneously to think the US would actively help in our fight with India was, is and would remain no more than wishful thinking.

Finally, age has taught me to be pragmatic. Not even China is going to help us liberate Kashmir; we would have to fight our own wars. We can blame the US all we want, but unless it is in her national interest, no country is going to help us during our war with India. Pakistan’s procrastination and not supporting Saudi Arabia in Yemen crisis proves my point.

Last edited:
India?

do you know how many enemies will you make just because you are religiously intolerant.Your reason is religion based which is biggest thread to Pakistan
Last time I checked India is much more intolerant. Dalits are stoned and burned right on the streets, 'suspected beef-eaters' are lynched, Muslims get attacked by gangs of Hindus, lower-caste people are being discriminated, segregated and even beaten, women are being picked off and raped on the streets.

In Pakistan there are isolated attacks on minorities, most of whom are carried out by TTP - which have killed much more Muslims than minorities; and unlike India we do something about it. Right now operation Zarb e Azb has neutralized 3000 terrorists and have captured 4000. Along with destroyed terrorist infrastructure removing their capabilities to ever heal again.

There is no 'religion based system' here in the Government - It is in the Army and that is why the Army performs so well. The Army believe they are serving Islam and fight for the cause of Allah - it gives them near unbreakable morale and devotion and unites the hundreds of different ethnicitys and sects are under one cause. The Government should also be Islamized - it would drastically reduce corruption, crime, sectarian fighting and terrorism overall.

Last edited:
Bhai ...pdf per danga karwaoge kya :D
Do you think Pakistanis will believe that there deeper than ocean and bigger than mountain friend has healthy relationship with us

Btw my previous post was supposed to be sarcastic :tsk:

My thought is: Focus on cooperation (or at least neutrality) with the major powers, while never compromising on national interests.

Has ever Pk existed without cooperating with USA ? Why this futile discussion ?

I think the question of whether Pak needs US is too a simplistic way of looking at a deeper issue.

Rather the question should be "Does working with US impact on Pakistan's sovereignty?"

This is a deeper, more complicated but in the end more enlightening discussion to have.

Its time for Pakistan to forward & leave back stabbing US once & for all.

Has ever Pk existed without cooperating with USA ? Why this futile discussion ?

Almost all the countries look at the superpower. So does Pakistan. But that does not mean without USA on its side, PAKISTAN won't even exist.

Back
Top Bottom