What's new

US missile defense: Seoul must make clear extent of alliance cost

@silverblade

To you and your wife and rest of family:
Anyoung haseyo jo eyun achim ! naneun dangsin-eul mannaseo haengbog haeyo. kam sa ham nida!

I can understand why some people , especially in Korea , can be a bit weary on the resurgency of Japan. I believe that Japan and Korea have limitless possibilities in terms of bilateral relations. Our bilateral trade should also develop.. I think that in the future, it will be welcomed in Japan to have military to military exercises between JSDF and ROKAF, ROKA, ROKN. We have very similar security threats and i believe that the hurdles our countries have can be overcome.

kam sa ham nida!

Last edited:
Until South Korea assumes operational control over its own forces, talk of US pressuring South Korea to do anything is a bad joke. If the US can't even force South Korea assume responsibility for its own defense, then the rest is commentary.

Moreover the U.S wont ever vacate South Korea, why would it? the U.S is mainly now in south Korea because of China. it puts the U.S military close to China doors. short of a revolution in korea, the U.S will never leave. And we both know south Korea doesnt have any issues with U.S presence on its soil, on the contrary.:-):cheers::usflag:
Funny enough South Korea considers Japan more as a threat than even China/north Korea. Having been to south Korea, this is one thing i dont understand, its for this reason i believe the U.S pivot to Asia wont succeed against China, simply because Seoul views Japan even more unfavorably than China.:agree::disagree:

Funny enough South Korea considers Japan more as a threat than even China/north Korea. Having been to south Korea, this is one thing i dont understand, its for this reason i believe the U.S pivot to Asia wont succeed against China, simply because Seoul views Japan even more unfavorably than China.:agree::disagree:

The answer to that lies in history; thousand years of history where Japan has repeatly being the aggressor and where China has been the protector.

The answer to that lies in history; thousand years of history where Japan has repeatly being the aggressor and where China has been the protector.

Come on, its history. The British , too, once controlled northern parts of France. In fact, the English and French had many long wars with each other and even competed for control of North America [French and Indian War]. But now they are partners, and are civil / friendly with each other.

I believe, the same is possible for Japan and South Korea.

Moreover the U.S wont ever vacate South Korea, why would it? the U.S is mainly now in south Korea because of China. it puts the U.S military close to China doors. short of a revolution in korea, the U.S will never leave. And we both know south Korea doesnt have any issues with U.S presence on its soil, on the contrary.:-):cheers::usflag:

Yes, this is true. Some of them still are resentful when Korea was conquered by Japanese Empire as a subject state. So i can understand why some of them still have feelings of animosity.

Come on, its history. The British , too, once controlled northern parts of France. In fact, the English and French had many long wars with each other and even competed for control of North America [French and Indian War]. But now they are partners, and are civil / friendly with each other.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
England & France came together after the rise of Germany. While Japan today tries very hard to draw parallel of China's rise to that of Germany's, I don't think most Koreans will buy the image of China being the aggressive expansionist that intends to gobble up their country & subjurgate their people. That's reserved for Japan.

England & France came together after the rise of Germany. While Japan today tries very hard to draw parallel of China's rise to that of Germany's, I don't think most Koreans will buy the image of China being the aggressive expansionist that intends to gobble up their country & subjurgate their people. That's reserved for Japan.

Well, then I hope that in the future Japan and Korea can have more military to military exercises together. Perhaps even a rotational force to build confidence with each other. One critical difference is the fact that we no longer are an Empire , nor do we wish to revive Imperialistic aspirations.

I concur with you on this one. This is one thing i think Japans Abe has been disastrous for Japan as a whole. His policies/remarks about China comparing it to Nazis Germany(surprising enough Japan was ally with the Nazis.lol), visiting of yakushini shrine/constant denial of imperial japan sexual slavery in Asia(which even its master U.S complained about), his naming of highly nationalistic people to lead Japans media(NHK) etc. This has led to even more bad blood, suspicions, hatred and has distanced Japan even more from South Korea and China. He doesnt really help matters. Funny enough Abe is kind of good for China, since he will help keep Seoul even more farther away from Japan and make the U.S pivot a huge failure. The U.S has been trying to calm him/tone him down, but he doesnt seem to understand what is at stake.:disagree::hitwall:.
One thing im sure about is that, if not for the U.S, South Korea will have been allied with China against Japan a while ago. Japan has to be very grateful to Uncle Sam.:usflag::-)

Yes, this is true. Some of them still are resentful when Korea was conquered by Japanese Empire as a subject state. So i can understand why some of them still have feelings of animosity.

Do you have any insight into why Taiwan was able to get over this animosity and establish friendly relations with Japan, while China and South Korea were not?

Do you have any insight into why Taiwan was able to get over this animosity and establish friendly relations with Japan, while China and South Korea were not?

To add to that, relations with Taiwan and Japan is very strong. In fact, Taiwanese passport holders do not even need a 90 day visa to come to Japan. They can have extensions. There is strong feelings between Japanese and Taiwan; and I believe Taiwanese people have a more favorable view of Japan than say Mainland China.

It would be nice to actually hear some Korean member's opinion about this issue.

Koreans were recently debating why they should spend more resources containing China when their real enemy is Japan.

Koreans were recently debating why they should spend more resources containing China when their real enemy is Japan.

Trust me, they should be more worried and concerned on North Korea than Japan. There is no competition between South Korea and Japan. Japan does not consider South Korea a threat, and neither should South Korea think so. To do so would deteriorate relations with us. In fact, we are already cooperating with Seoul in communication with North Korea.

Trust me, they should be more worried and concerned on North Korea than Japan. There is no competition between South Korea and Japan. Japan does not consider South Korea a threat, and neither should South Korea think so. To do so would deteriorate relations with us. In fact, we are already cooperating with Seoul in communication with North Korea.
Korea can not trust Japan before Japan admit and correct the WW2 criminal.

Koreans , in general, are a very proud group of people. I have interacted long enough with them and have visited many times to Seoul, Busan. They are very sensitive when the issue arises about the Japanese colonial era. On government to government issues, they always bring that up. But on a people to people level, we get a long with them very well. There is a significant amount of Korean - Japanese , or known as Zainichi. Cross cultural interaction is abundant and a lot of Korean media are very fond of Japanese music, Japanese films, etc. The same for Japan; we are also fond of Korean music, food, drama series. lol

I do not envy the Koreans. They are caught between a rock & a hard place between China/Russia/N.K. vs US/Japan. The fact that US has military bases in their territory makes any form of self determination over security matters virtually impossible.

Addendum:

Japan also does not make impudent statements about turning South Korea or Seoul into "moldering ash" as what the North Korean regime repetitively does. Second, Japan Maritime Forces never once shot at or instigated South Korean vessels, as what North Korea has done, namely sinking one of their corvetttes recently. It seems to me that the current Park administration in South Korea is suffering from Paranoia and Delusions.

I do not envy the Koreans. They are caught between a rock & a hard place between China/Russia/N.K. vs US/Japan. The fact that US has military bases in their territory makes any form of self determination over security matters virtually impossible.

South Korea exists today because of American military presence. Despite media reports that show Korean antagonism towards American military presence, the overwhelming majority of them are very fond of the Americans. Notwithstanding, the United States Nuclear Umbrella guarantees Seoul's protection from Pyongyang.

The JGSDF, JMSDF, and JASDF are also watching the Korean peninsula closely. And in the event of a conflict with the North, we will intervene as well.

Back
Top Bottom