What's new

US issues waiver for sale of major defence equipment to Pakistan

i hope Pakistan does not fall into this honey trap and keeps away fron American...sanction pro..many strings attached .. equipment...

Hopes aside, on what grounds should Pakistan say no to military equipment that is likely very useful for us?

Hopes aside, on what grounds should Pakistan say no to military equipment that is likely very useful for us?
try talking to PAF pilots from 90s who used to fly F-16 without ejection seats....Thats how useful American equipment can become...

try talking to PAF pilots from 90s who used to fly F-16 without ejection seats....Thats how useful American equipment can become...

Will the decision to accept or refuse military equipment be made by the pilots or their superiors in the forces and the government?

those pilots are now superiors...atleast in the airforce....

I see. It is good that the decision, whatever it might be, will be made with the wisdom of experience as you mentioned. I would still bet that they will not say no to more US equipment.

those pilots are now superiors...atleast in the airforce....

Stilll PAF continues to buy F 16 :undecided:. Across the three arms of yur military PAF has the most critical assets of US origin. one wonders why considering pilots of 90s should now be almost at the top of PAF hierarchy.

Where did you get that indication from? Helis can easily fly to any of their carriers in gulf.

Is it an indication that super cobra heli (AH-1Z) coming to Pakistan?

F-16 can flyaway to any of their bases in gulf or Europe. they are probably looking to sell heavier ground equipment for use by PA to continue their efforts against terrorists such as APC's, possibly MRAP, heavy artillery, only the things that Pakistan already have from Us, nothing new.

SO PAK will be getting more F16s? Its better for PAK to enhance trade ties with US rather than military deals IMO. PAK should reduce its dependence on US arms completely.

I think they are referring to the second hand M109A5's as Heavy Equipment ... Army was to get 297 of those ... Only 115 were delivered till 2010. ...

Paf has shown interest in getting 14-18 more new b52's.

Looks like US wants to leave all the equipment in Pakistan and Afghanistan before leaving

US is a great juggler... it give military equipments to pak, india then tries to match it by purchasing more from US. Then US waives of pak military purchase.... Looks like a great marketing tactic... :bounce::bounce::bounce:

most of the handovers of equipment, such as nightvision goggles for the Frontier Corps -- have been in the pipeline for years....these are requested for counter-insurgency operations

india has nothing to do with this equation of transfer of equipment for COIN

and unfortunately, because of attacks on NATO positions/checkposts in Afghanistan -- the enemy we are fighting has managed also to get ahold of such equipment like night-vision adjustable zoom scopes or thermal goggles, etc.; they also have access to such things; you'll be amazed if you did research on the type of stuff we've captured off of dead terrorists

Looks like US wants to leave all the equipment in Pakistan and Afghanistan before leaving

no; they've made it clear that a lot of sensitive tech will indeed be going back

used armored personnel carriers, Humvees and small arms may be gifted to the ANA to assist them

even though 2/3 of the NATO shipments would go via Pakistan, their most sensitive equipment, such as 'heavy weapons' and radars, communications systems will be flown out by air probably via C130 or Globemaster

my guess is, they would be re-deployed on Saudi, Kuwaiti, Bahraini or German bases --depending on needs and other factors; or just flown all the way back to mainland USA

Do you have a source for this?

Paf when they bought the initial 18 had the option for 14-18 more.
Some senior members on this and other forums have stated this.
Re-read my original post I said paf has shown interest not confirmed the order.

F-16's without Ejection seats ?

What were they sitting on , STOOLS ?

That makes very little sense.

Anyway, back to sensible discussion. Pakistan should not buy old Technology. Older version of F-16 would be useful if at throw away prices ( F-16 block 15 at 1 Million usd if the engines and airframes have enough useful life and can be upgraded). Other older Equipment to be traded for services.

As a policy, Pakistan should shy away from purchase of American Equipment. The only exception should be DRONEs and related Technology for control of terrorist groups. This would be in the interest of US as well as they would like Pakistan to neutralize these groups.

Back
Top Bottom