What's new

US drone strike kills Mullah Nazir: Sources

Indeed, for someone like me for whom national interests are the first priority, it is a loss. Mullah Nazir represented a counterweight to the TTP Nucleus and more importantly, was an elder of the Wazir Tribe which is allied with the Govt in the WoT. This will not settle well with them and this drone strike just earned the ISAF a new set of problems. You as a Pushtun will know the importance of Pukhtunwali and the position that a Mashar occupies within that system, you will also be well-versed with the concept of Badal and I believe the rest is self-explanatory.

I think rumours will be spread that it was ISI who gave the intel to drone him for money..there is a chance it can turn his clansmen against PA also..

I am obviously far less informed than you on the details but my impression was the result of negotiations was " fine we wont opperate in Pakistan but we are still going to keep killing Americans in Afghanistan"

SWA borders the Paktika which has remained largely safe for foreign troops, I would say that the negotiations were bringing forth the desired effect.

How many rounds of negotiation had already happened. There seems to be a double standard that when a Pashtun acts a certain way its fine but when any one else does its wrong. Does this escalate things perhaps but how many Waziri Elders were already killed by the Taliban yet they chose to keep killing Americans rather than spending all their time concentrating on the Taliban.

A Tribal society is a very complex social system, they maybe the Wazirs and Mehsuds might be thirsty for each other's blood but they are Pushtuns first and will perceive any outside influence as negative, they thrive on xenophobia and up till recently, not many people from out of KPK had visited FATA. As for why they were not concentrating on the Taliban, the Wazirs under Mullah Nazir's leadership had expelled the entire Mehsud Clan from SWA for aiding the Taliban, that should speak volumes about the power he commanded in SWA.

Some times tact is called for yet it would seem that tact was given a chance and failed.

No i am not a Pashtun and i only see things as an outsider but perhaps Abdullah Kalta wouldnt think we arent all that different.

Perhaps but this particular death will be counter productive, the TTP will try to make inroads into SWA again and if they succeed, the position will worsen for ISAF in Paktika as well.

I think rumours will be spread that it was ISI who gave the intel to drone him for money..there is a chance it can turn his clansmen against PA also..

I am receptive to all possible fallouts resulting from this scenario and there is no reason to reject the one you proposed as well. It's possible though not likely.

facepalm! create a thread and defend all these Pakistani heroes!

They are not hero but worked in interests of Pakistan, you first stand to defend your country by yourselves and then come for facepalm. This is your facepalm president who know the incompetency of Afghanistan so asking for Masters to be there even after 2014.

A country can't be in position to criticize whose itself reputation under big question mark and running a hub of terrorism.

They are not hero but worked in interests of Pakistan, you first stand to defend your country by yourselves and then come for facepalm. This is your facepalm president who know the incompetency of Afghanistan so asking for Masters to be there even after 2014.

A country can't be in position to criticize whose itself reputation under big question mark and running a hub of terrorism.

Give me a single source that he asked them to be here after 2014 except those 10s of articles that he urged them to leave sooner than ever!

Give me a single source that he asked them to be here after 2014 except those 10s of articles that he urged them to leave sooner than ever!

This is common phenomena and human psychology to close eyes from facts which he might not please to know or admit.

I am receptive to all possible fallouts resulting from this scenario and there is no reason to reject the one you proposed as well. It's possible though not likely.

In my point of view from the day of suicide attack on him Pakistani establishment came to know that Nazir came under US radar and it is hard to protect him more so most probably they already selected who will next while killing suspects from TTP in Karachi and SWA although it was a support show. US will come under more troubled situation rather than Pakistan. Pakistani establishment hits two in one shot.

http://e.jang.com.pk/01-04-2013/pindi/pic.asp?picname=61.gif
Presence of Faisal Khan with Nazir may explain this drone attack. May be both sides are satisfied now.

For me above is a not less than an escape argument!

I don't think i should have to answer your question, a person who joined PDF from August 2010 couldn't be so ignored that he couldn't find a link about i said. Google it.

Give you food for thinking what i said in previous posts;
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said "We don't expect much from the Taliban except beatings, but the Americans are supposed to bring laws and principles. What we have here now is just chaos."

Key ‘good Taliban’ leader killed in Pakistan drone strike

A CIA drone strike has killed Maulvi Nazir, a senior militant leader, in a significant blow to the Taliban. There are fears that his death may spark a fresh outbreak of terrorist violence across Pakistan.

The January 2 missile strike, at 1030pm local time, killed Nazir and his two deputies Atta Ullah and Rafey Khan, along with up to eight others.

According to the New York Times, Maulvi Nazir’s vehicle was struck as it traveled on the Birmal-Wana road. A senior Pakistani intelligence official told the paper: ‘He has been killed. It is confirmed. The vehicle he was traveling in was hit.’

However other sources including the Guardian said that Nazir died when a house was struck during a meeting of senior leaders.

Mosques in Wana, the capital of South Waziristan, announced the death of the popular leader over loudspeakers, and as many as 10,000 people reportedly attended Nazir’s funeral the next day, local sources told AP.

In a separate attack, drones also killed a local Pakistan Taliban (TTP) commander and up to three others in North Waziristan. Both CNN and Associated Press reported that the CIA targeted rescuers at the scene.

‘Good Taliban’
Maulvi (or Mullah) Nazir, based in the border areas of South Waziristan, was a a key figure in the so-called ‘Good Taliban’ – militant groups which have truce arrangements with Pakistan’s military and government.

These groups also use Pakistani territory to launch attacks on US, Nato and Afghan forces across the border. A study by Dr Antonio Giustozzo found that Taliban attacks in Afghanistan rose by up to a third after local peace deals were signed.

Mosques in Wana, the capital of South Waziristan, announced the death of the popular leader over loudspeakers, and as many as 10,000 people reportedly attended Nazir’s funeral.

The Bureau recorded seven strikes against Nazir’s forces in South Waziristan in 2012, out of 47 CIA attacks in Pakistan.

While a tactical success for the US, some are predicting that Nazir’s death might increase instability and violence in the region, at least initially.

Maulvi Nazir, a key leader of the powerful Wazir tribe, rose to prominence in 2007 when he drove out foreign militants and the Pakistan Taliban (drawn mainly from the Mehsud tribe) from his area.

Retired brigadier Asad Munir, who commanded Pakistan’s intelligence service the ISI in the tribal areas until 2005, told the Bureau: ‘Pakistan’s army can’t fight both the Mehsud and Wazir tribes. When fighting one there needs to be peace with the other. There was no written treaty between Islamabad and the Wazir tribe – just a verbal agreement with Nazir himself.

‘The worst case scenario is that the Wazirs and other “good Taliban” groups will start a fresh wave of terrorist activities which Pakistan may not be able to handle.’

AFP reported that senior Pakistani security officials were already locked in talks to discuss the implications of Nazir’s death.

In a second CIA strike in North Waziristan on January 3, local Pakistan Taliban commander Faisal Khan was reported killed in his car along with two ‘Uzbek militants.’

According to Associated Press, ‘one missile hit a vehicle near the town, followed by another missile when people rushed to the vehicle to help people in the car.’ CNN also reported that US drones targeted rescuers.

The deliberate targeting of first responders by the CIA is controversial, and is presently being investigated by UN experts as a possible war crime.

‘Alice in Wonderland’
On the same day as Nazir’s death a US court rejected a Freedom of Information request by the New York Times and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) calling for the US government to reveal the legal basis of covert drone strikes.

US District Court Judge Colleen McMahon said in a written statement that an ‘Alice in Wonderland’ situation presently exists in which the US can claim such strikes to be legal, while keeping secret the basis for such claims:

I can find no way around the thicket of laws and precedents that effectively allow the Executive Branch of our government to proclaim as perfectly lawful certain actions that seem on their face incompatible with our Constitution and laws, while keeping the reasons for their conclusion a secret.

Jameel Jaffer, the ACLU’s deputy legal director, said the organisation planned to appeal the decision.

‘This ruling denies the public access to crucial information about the government’s extrajudicial killing of US citizens and also effectively green-lights its practice of making selective and self-serving disclosures,’ he said.

Key ‘good Taliban’ leader killed in Pakistan drone strike: The Bureau of Investigative Journalism

US/Pentagon is not confirming this news - they have welcomed it - thats all for now. remember hakimullah mehsud!!!

I don't think i should have to answer your question, a person who joined PDF from August 2010 couldn't be so ignored that he couldn't find a link about i said. Google it.

Give you food for thinking what i said in previous posts;

That's nothing that could back up your claim!

If americans keep on doing things like these, it won't help us at all. On one side they themselves trying to cut deals with Taliban and on other side telling us to kill them all. Out of all Talibans they kill the guy who had the agreement with Pakistan govt.
I am sure it will get ugly for US itself rather than us.

US waits for blow back

one of the comments from the article

“His death could upset the careful balance that the Pakistan military has tried to build in the troubled tribal areas that border Afghanistan,” writes the Telegraph’s Rob Crilly. Nazir was largely responsible for keeping the relationship between the Taliban and the Pakistani military at bay.

Whats new?? A new leader would come out sooner or later.

:pop:

Back
Top Bottom