What's new

US drone strike kills Mullah Nazir: Sources

Mullah Nazir use to live in Kabul.. than how come he was died in Pakistan?

Was he delivered tied, just to brand a drone strike?

What shall i say.... capable or incapable drone! which missed 200 TTP carvan, involved in attacked Pakistani levis and went back to Kabul safely but cleverly found the Mullah who was evidence of Indo-US terrorism inside Pakistan.

He lived in Wana batman occassionally crossing the border to Afghanistan. Its actually Gul Bahadur who feels more secure in Afghanistan instead of Pakistan's tribal areas.

Sad incidence *sarcasm*, lose of an asset to some people though!

Indeed, for someone like me for whom national interests are the first priority, it is a loss. Mullah Nazir represented a counterweight to the TTP Nucleus and more importantly, was an elder of the Wazir Tribe which is allied with the Govt in the WoT. This will not settle well with them and this drone strike just earned the ISAF a new set of problems. You as a Pushtun will know the importance of Pukhtunwali and the position that a Mashar occupies within that system, you will also be well-versed with the concept of Badal and I believe the rest is self-explanatory.

This drone attack indicates one thing though regarding drone strikes and information sharing with pak, that the targets are not shared with Pak top brass, or else they would not have had given the US permission to strike. @Icarus any comments?

BTW, isn't this the same person who was involved in that bombing incident, and the subsequent expulsion of mehsuds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, for someone like me for whom national interests are the first priority, it is a loss. Mullah Nazir represented a counterweight to the TTP Nucleus and more importantly, was an elder of the Wazir Tribe which is allied with the Govt in the WoT. This will not settle well with them and this drone strike just earned the ISAF a new set of problems. You as a Pushtun will know the importance of Pukhtunwali and the position that a Mashar occupies within that system, you will also be well-versed with the concept of Badal and I believe the rest is self-explanatory.

Terrorists are not Pashtun "mashars" get that and don't teach me!

This drone attack indicates one thing though regarding drone strikes and information sharing with pak, that the targets are not shared with Pak top brass, or else they would not have had given the US permission to strike. @Icarus any comments?

BTW, isn't this the same person who was involved in that bombing incident, and the subsequent expulsion of mehsuds.

Pakistan and US have been at logger heads over the free use of drones and there has been little or no Intelligence sharing about these drone attacks since 2009. If you look at the statistics, you will notice it is from then onwards that these attacks became more common and less accurate. Pakistani assets in the areas are sensitive to loss of unnecessary life and did not paint targets unless absolute certain, whereas American assets are bribed locals and border crossers who will gladly target anything from a house to a goat shed just as long as they can collect their bribe in return.

As for the second part of your questions, yes this is the same man and that is why I believe his death is a loss to Pakistan. We have lost a very advantageous position in that region.

Terrorists are not Pashtun "mashars" get that and don't teach me!

This guy was a Mashar, there's no denying that. It's not like Afghan Mashars don't have Armed Militias at their disposal, are you familiar with Tribal culture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan and US have been at logger heads over the free use of drones and there has been little or no Intelligence sharing about these drone attacks since 2009. If you look at the statistics, you will notice it is from then onwards that these attacks became more common and less accurate. Pakistani assets in the areas are sensitive to loss of unnecessary life and did not paint targets unless absolute certain, whereas American assets are bribed locals and border crossers who will gladly target anything from a house to a goat shed just as long as they can collect their bribe in return.

But there was news that ties have normalized and information sharing regarding drone attacks has been enhanced and improved.

Guess that was a lie then!

As for the second part of your questions, yes this is the same man and that is why I believe his death is a loss to Pakistan. We have lost a very advantageous position in that region.

So what does the military think about it? Kind of surprised?

And what could be the possible retaliation by Pak?

This guy was a Mashar, there's no denying that. It's not like Afghan Mashars don't have Armed Militias at their disposal, are you familiar with Tribal culture?

Oh so now terrorism is tribal culture? it would be better if you call him a terrorist or less possible a warlord! I am very well acknowledged of tribal culture and customs and believe it or not the spy was within his khel who reported his location! Pashtuns are fed up of these so called terrorist mashars.

But there was news that ties have normalized and information sharing regarding drone attacks has been enhanced and improved.

Guess that was a lie then!

That ship has sailed, the Govt has put forth a demand for America to completely halt drone attacks and the agencies are now bound to abide by that demand.

So what does the military think about it? Kind of surprised?

And what could be the possible retaliation by Pak?

Surprised, yes.
Tentative, yes.
Watching our Step in the region from now on, yes.
Retaliation, no.

What does the military retaliate against? As a militant leader, he was fair game for the Americans and we can't really cry foul.

Oh so now terrorism is tribal culture? it would be better if you call him a terrorist or less possible a warlord! I am very well acknowledged of tribal culture and customs and believe it or not the spy was within his khel who reported his location! Pashtuns are fed up of these so called terrorist mashars.

A warlord is a more suitable term and it was bound to be someone from his own khel, nobody else would be able to get close enough to him but the Wazirs as a tribe were indebted to the man, he was the first in many generations to challenge Mehsud hegemony in Waziristan, especially at such a critical juncture in history.

I think I have sent a wrong impression though, I in no way endorse this culture of militancy however, my assessment is from a thoroughly strategic point of view.

Watching our Step in the region from now on, yes.

Could you explain this a bit more?

Retaliation, no.

What does the military retaliate against? As a militant leader, he was fair game for the Americans and we can't really cry foul.

By retaliation I don't mean an open confrontation on the issue, but more of a subtle type. Like giving a cold shoulder in some things, being more secretive with the US regarding such things (if they are not already) and small stuff like that.

Or is it a kind of a 'jo hogaya so hogaya' kind of thing?

Could you explain this a bit more?

As I noted before, CNG was a very important counterweight to the TTP in SWA. With him gone, the balance has tilted overwhelmingly in the TTP's favour and they will try to stage a comeback, it is not a question of if, rather of when.

By retaliation I don't mean an open confrontation on the issue, but more of a subtle type. Like giving a cold shoulder in some things, being more secretive with the US regarding such things (if they are not already) and small stuff like that.

I doubt it, like I said, he was neutral towards us but for the Americans, he was a threat and we can't blame them for neutralizing him.

Or is it a kind of a 'jo hogaya so hogaya' kind of thing?

It's nothing of the sort, I already told you that his death represents a significant risk to the GoP's position in SWA but he was not in anyway an affiliate of the GoP that we could raise an issue. If he had been a member of the Aman Lashkar, then there would have been problems but he was neutral in the TTP-GoP conflict (slight inclination towards GoP post 2009).

As I noted before, CNG was a very important counterweight to the TTP in SWA. With him gone, the balance has tilted overwhelmingly in the TTP's favour and they will try to stage a comeback, it is not a question of if, rather of when.

What about the next leader or major figure of Wazir tribe? Surely the next guy would be with the sentiments of Nazir regarding the expulsion of Mehsuds, and maybe be Anti-TTP because of it.

What about the next leader or major figure of Wazir tribe? Surely the next guy would be with the sentiments of Nazir regarding the expulsion of Mehsuds, and maybe be Anti-TTP because of it.

His two closest companions were killed with him in the drone strikes.

Back
Top Bottom