What's new

US backs India-Iran Chabahar port deal as it outflanks China-Pakistan Gwadar project

The govt. of Afghanistan is actually the mayor office of Kabul.

Except they don't have this baniya mentality where money is everything.

And after the Kuldeep Yadev episode I don't think Pakistan is going to sit quite and let Indian goods pass through Southern Afghanistan.
well ok if you think Govt Of Afghanistan is mayor office of Kabul and who are you to stop india in Afghanistan are you saying Afgan Taliban takes its orders from Govt /Security establishment Of pakistan ? Do Ypou Sir Know what you just said and then there are people who ask why Avrage Afghan or Afghan Govt dont trust Pakistan or why USA treats Pakistan they way it does .... think about it ..... cheers mate :tup:

The major issue that will need to be considered for this port as Gwadar builds up is it still sits further inside the persian gulf vis a vis Gwadar. In any major international incident, the Chabahar port could be choked by PN and PLAN via Gwadar, but not the other way around. And China will still have a easier time getting supplies/oil to western China through Pakistan than from Iran/Afghanistan. As far as CPEC being a back up plan...$46billion is a hell of a lot to invest as a back up. This will be the main route whether the Malacca Straight is cut or not. It is simply a far shorter distance over a much safer and well established route to the part of China that needs it. The whole point of Gwadar/CPEC is to develop western China, they dont want to Ship around all of south/southeast asia and then cross all of Eastern/Central China again by road when cutting up through Pakistan will save on transit/shipping time and fees to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars over the next few decades. Add to that the rise of the IN as far as power projection an the increasing tensions in the South China Sea and you have no reason to believe that they view CPEC as a contingency plan.

we dont have any issues with who controls who or what in afghanistan we made a deal with afghan government and its there problem to give the route required security as for taliban why will they create problems for there own people in getting rich and getting new source of income just because india is building it and its coming thru iran ?

your so so wrong brother Chahbahar is not in any way against Chinese intersts or there New Silk Road to central asia and Europe

see take a map and see the diffrence between Kashgar to nearest production facilty /manufacturing cities in China and there distance from kashghar and Gawadar and how much distance china needs to cover to send its goods to central asia and Euorope (new silk road)

thediplomat_2014-05-08_17-47-26-386x230.png

http://thediplomat.com/2014/05/chinas-new-silk-road-vision-revealed/

now tell me what will be chinas priority to do trade waia land in Xi’an in central China before stretching west through Lanzhou (Gansu province), Urumqi (Xinjiang), and Khorgas (Xinjiang), which is near the border with Kazakhstan. The Silk Road then runs southwest from Central Asia to northern Iran before swinging west through Iraq, Syria, and Turkey. From Istanbul, the Silk Road crosses the Bosporus Strait and heads northwest through Europe, including Bulgaria, Romania, the Czech Republic, and Germany. Reaching Duisburg in Germany, it swings north to Rotterdam in the Netherlands. From Rotterdam, the path runs south to Venice, Italy

or the CEPC where it again has to cover all the pakistan land distance after passing to karakoram pass to reach gawadar where the good will again be loaded on ships to join maratime silk route (why will they not keep using the orignal Silk Road or the maratime silk route)

in short :

1. CEPC is just Plan B /Insurence policy for trade if the chinese martime trade is effected in SCS to mallacka straits to bay of bengal to suez canal and beyond think about it

2. Chahbahaar corridoar is not even compition to chinese trade corridoar /New Silk route /Maratime Silk Route

CPEC is mainly aimed at Chinese-African Chinese-Middleast trade.
Your Chabahar will not be used by most middle eastern countries because they are anti-iranian. (The
largest middle east economies are anti-iranian)

Saudi Arabia wants CPEC's extension to Red Sea, Africa

New railway tracks planned under CPEC: report(to transport freight to china)

Last edited:
The major issue that will need to be considered for this port as Gwadar builds up is it still sits further inside the persian gulf vis a vis Gwadar. In any major international incident, the Chabahar port could be choked by PN and PLAN via Gwadar, but not the other way around. And China will still have a easier time getting supplies/oil to western China through Pakistan than from Iran/Afghanistan. As far as CPEC being a back up plan...$46billion is a hell of a lot to invest as a back up. This will be the main route whether the Malacca Straight is cut or not. It is simply a far shorter distance over a much safer and well established route to the part of China that needs it. The whole point of Gwadar/CPEC is to develop western China, they dont want to Ship around all of south/southeast asia and then cross all of Eastern/Central China again by road when cutting up through Pakistan will save on transit/shipping time and fees to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars over the next few decades. Add to that the rise of the IN as far as power projection an the increasing tensions in the South China Sea and you have no reason to believe that they view CPEC as a contingency plan.
With all deu respect Sir you are partly right and partly wrong

1. PN cannot blockade Chabahaar cause its iranian do you think Iranians will keep quite if PN does even if you keep india owt of the equation

2.take a look at this Map China Intends to bring Bulk of its oil from Central aisa Wia New Silk Road not CEPC as it needs first to tranport oil or goods wia ocean liners to Gawadar from there on tu Train/road mobile tankers to kashghar passing thru trechrous karakoram pass while in New Silk road Simply by a Oil Pipeline or Train link as China Intends to bring it to Xi’an in central China before stretching west through Lanzhou (Gansu province), Urumqi (Xinjiang), and Khorgas (Xinjiang), which is near the border with Kazakhstan then southwest from Central Asia to northern Iran

to your maths which is the cheaper and less risky option

Last edited:
"Tripoli, post: 8335277, member: 176486"]CPEC is mainly aimed at Chinese-African Chinese-Middleast trade.
Your Chabahar will not be used by most middle eastern countries because they are anti-iranian. (The
largest middle east economies are anti-iranian)
We have trade with middle east already . we need chahbahar port to reach Central asia and Russia through Iran

We have trade with middle east already . we need chahbahar port to reach Central asia and Russia through Iran
One of the main purposes of Chabahar is to open up central asia. So gwadar will be used by them instead.
1.-Karakoram-Highway-at-Bulong-Lake-600x418.jpg

Karakoram highway

With all deu respect Sir you are partly right and partly wrong

1. PN cannot blockade Chabahaar cause its iranian do you think Iranians will keep quite if PN does even if you keep india owt of the equation

2.take a look at this Map China Intends to bring Bulk of its oil from Central aisa Wia New Silk Road not CEPC as it needs first to tranport oilor goods wia ocean liners to Gawadar from there on tu Train/road mobile tankers to kashghar passing thru trechrous karakoram pass while in New Silk road Simply by a Oil Pipeline or Train link to your maths which is the cheaper and less risky option

to your first point, I think you missed the clause where I said in a major international incident. I agree with you it is very unlikely. That being said, with the worsening Arab /Iranian relations and from how Iran keeps taking advantage of Pakistan, it is more likely to come from an Arab/Iranian conflict which does not include India. The point is though that while I agree it is unlikely scenario, the military implications are not as significant as some here fear.

As far as the Karakoram pass being treacherous, the Karakoram Highway is already present and with CPEC, it will follow a similar/expanded route thought the mountains, the path is already laid in the mountains, it will need to be widened so it is not as perilous as you make it out to be. Central Asia brings a fraction of the oil to China, the big issue with Arabian oil. That being said, CPEC is also about trade from western China out and from the world to western China. And goods from the ME, Africa and even the eastern Americas will be easier to send via Gwadar than through Malacca and the rest of China. The Chinese wont spend $46billion on CPEC if it is a contingency. there would be minimal return on investment for them. It is more central to their strategic goal than you are making it. Minimizing the importance to China doesnt change the ground reality.

Except they don't have this baniya mentality where money is everything.

Why are the Chinese building CPEC? Surely, not for their health?

And after the Kuldeep Yadev episode I don't think Pakistan is going to sit quite and let Indian goods pass through Southern Afghanista

And Pakistan will do what exactly to stop India? Nothing.

One of the main purposes of Chabahar is to open up central asia. So gwadar will be used by them instead.

I could be wrong but I dont think Chabahar is a deep sea port. While it opens central asia to India more easily, it is still more expensive than it would have been if there was peace between India/Pakistan, but for Indian calculus, it is less risky in the current environment which is probably true.

I could be wrong but I dont think Chabahar is a deep sea port. While it opens central asia to India more easily, it is still more expensive than it would have been if there was peace between India/Pakistan, but for Indian calculus, it is less risky in the current environment which is probably true.
It is certainly more expensive for them.

The Eastern Central Asian countries are morel likely to use Gwader.

to your first point, I think you missed the clause where I said in a major international incident. I agree with you it is very unlikely. That being said, with the worsening Arab /Iranian relations and from how Iran keeps taking advantage of Pakistan, it is more likely to come from an Arab/Iranian conflict which does not include India. The point is though that while I agree it is unlikely scenario, the military implications are not as significant as some here fear.

As far as the Karakoram pass being treacherous, the Karakoram Highway is already present and with CPEC, it will follow a similar/expanded route thought the mountains, the path is already laid in the mountains, it will need to be widened so it is not as perilous as you make it out to be. Central Asia brings a fraction of the oil to China, the big issue with Arabian oil. That being said, CPEC is also about trade from western China out and from the world to western China. And goods from the ME, Africa and even the eastern Americas will be easier to send via Gwadar than through Malacca and the rest of China. The Chinese wont spend $46billion on CPEC if it is a contingency. there would be minimal return on investment for them. It is more central to their strategic goal than you are making it. Minimizing the importance to China doesnt change the ground reality.
you sir still dont get it or you sir dont want to aknowledge the real facts on ground

1. look at the distance to be covered and cost of loading and uloading oil supplies first wia sea link or proposed land link from Saudi Arabia to Gawadar and from there to all the way upto (2500Km approx from Gawadar to Kashgar) and then from Kashgar to interior /Eastern China (4500 Km approx )where bulk of Chinese Industry and population is based

2. now calculate the distance and cost of loading tranferring oil between oil fields in central asia to Lanzhou (Gansu province), Urumqi (Xinjiang), and Khorgas (Xinjiang) wia a proposed oil single pipe line

3.as for 46 Billion $$s well it might be a huge investemnt for say Pakistan but not China CEPC-Gawadar as i said is a Plan B-Insurence policy/alternate trade route for China and Chabahar is not in any way a competition to Chinas orignal Plan to get to Central Asia and Europethru there Proposed New Silk Road /Oil-Gas Pipeline

NO TROLLING NO PUN INTENDED ONLY SIMPLE LOGICAL DEBATE ... Thank You Sir

cheers mate

Last edited:
The size and strength of Chinese economy/trade and how it effects the global economy, Vs the three countries involved , India, Iran and Afghanistan, in this wet dream to "out flank" Pakistan and China!! What they are going to export among themselves? Pan parag, dry fruits, Afghan hasish?

Do the yanks know that Pakistan and China give monkies to these silly shinanigans as it has zero effect on the purpose for which CPEC was envisage.

Iran would act stupid if it wants to be part of this so called "outflanking" of China and Pakistan, if there is such thing! They can kiss goodbye to the world biggest market and power hungry nation which is China. CPEC would easily give them the shortest possible route to export their oil and gas to China.

As for India, ofcourse, there is no doubt they are working on this after getting the nod from the sugardaddy, the uncle sam.

Iran is a lots more influential than Pakistan.
It is the US interests to reduce Chinese influence in this area.
And dont try to teach us about trade .We are excellent in trade and commerce..

Guru Dutt has some point. Chinese are world renowned businessmen.
They dont need sympathy and goodwill in pure business deal.They only cares about profit .
CPEC is way expensive than their central asian silk route .
Chinese are investing in future .In future if there is a global conflict both Malacca Strait and Silk route might closed .So this plan B is quite good .For that they are flooding Pak establishments ,leaders pocket with dollars .There was a thread in PDF about CPEC construction .PA is also a part in that business deal .In sense they are hiring protection group and route for their own purpose.

we dont have any issues with who controls who or what in afghanistan we made a deal with afghan government and its there problem to give the route required security as for taliban why will they create problems for there own people in getting rich and getting new source of income just because india is building it and its coming thru iran ?

your so so wrong brother Chahbahar is not in any way against Chinese intersts or there New Silk Road to central asia and Europe

see take a map and see the diffrence between Kashgar to nearest production facilty /manufacturing cities in China and there distance from kashghar and Gawadar and how much distance china needs to cover to send its goods to central asia and Euorope (new silk road)

now tell me what will be chinas priority to do trade waia land in Xi’an in central China before stretching west through Lanzhou (Gansu province), Urumqi (Xinjiang), and Khorgas (Xinjiang), which is near the border with Kazakhstan. The Silk Road then runs southwest from Central Asia to northern Iran before swinging west through Iraq, Syria, and Turkey. From Istanbul, the Silk Road crosses the Bosporus Strait and heads northwest through Europe, including Bulgaria, Romania, the Czech Republic, and Germany. Reaching Duisburg in Germany, it swings north to Rotterdam in the Netherlands. From Rotterdam, the path runs south to Venice, Italy

or the CEPC where it again has to cover all the pakistan land distance after passing to karakoram pass to reach gawadar where the good will again be loaded on ships to join maratime silk route (why will they not keep using the orignal Silk Road or the maratime silk route)

in short :

1. CEPC is just Plan B /Insurence policy for trade if the chinese martime trade is effected in SCS to mallacka straits to bay of bengal to suez canal and beyond think about it

2. Chahbahaar corridoar is not even compition to chinese trade corridoar /New Silk route /Maratime Silk Route

Ah the gullible Indians.

Do you really think Taliban will give monkies to Kabul regime? Do you think it is that easy to use Afghan territory for the trade purpose. What is that you the Indians are good at which the super powers failed to do and even us the Pakistanis , remember the word UNICOL? And how that ended up. There was a time when Taliban were American state guests to discuss the pipeline project from central Asia. What you, a third world country or even Iran can offer to Talibans which the Americans didnt? And that was then when Afghansitan was perhaps a walk in park compared to what it has become now and just watch the space after the killing of their leader how things pan out in Afghansitan.

But by using CPEC the afghans, including Tablian , can export their minerals to Pakistan and China or even to world across using Gawadar. Always remember, Taliban due to ideological reasons hate Iran. Its a non starter if I have to be brutally honest.

Me wrong about Charbahar? Did you actually read the topic under discussion? Let me remind you what it says, "us-backs-india-iran-chabahar-port-deal-as-it-outflanks-china-pakistan-gwadar-project" . My response is to negate the non sense which is this article. So you are in agreement with me that Charbahar is in no way against CPEC and this article is nothing but garbage?

Let me remind you again, CPEC is a Chinese initiative, to which Pakistan gave its nod. Its is a Chinese interests first and foremost. They are the ones who proposed it to Pakistan years ago. Its not something which came out of blue. How China access Europe is non of Pakistan concern. And to honest, that not the priority of Chinese at this point in time. First and foremost, the access to energy is the main priority and the markets of middle east and Africa. That why they are based in Djibouti, to secure their trade lines. There is NO Chinese presence as such in central asia or north west Asia as such. More importantly, out of all nations, they take Pakistan as the most trusted ally. The road to Europe is long term project, and with many states and vested interests in between, it will be a hard task to take everyone along and reach Europe eventually, not just for Chinese but any other aspirants. With CPEC, there are no complication. Chinese border, off to Pakistan, on board ships docked @ Gawadar to the markets of ME, AFRICA, and through Red Sea, pass Seuz cannal and into Europe. And oil and gas of ME, going upwards from gawadar into China. Thing is, once something is build and in use, then it becomes the only viable option. Thats why we in Pakistan are going full throlle, as when CPEC starts to ship Chinese goods around next year, as mentioned by COAS, everyone will fall in line.

The question is, why this India , Iran and Afghanistan so called pact? What you are trying to achieve? You all are third world countries, make next to nothing worth that can be exported to the world. Your geography doesnt warrent that you have to use Charbahar for your imports mostly to come to you via some imaginary route from Charbahar from Europe and then shipped to you in India where you can easily use the existing shipping lanes which you have been using all along.

What they say, Devil is in detail. In nutshell, this so called agreement got nothing to do with trade or economy. Its a scheme to somehow sustain Indian presence in Afghanistan to keep on using Afghan soil for terrorism inside Pakistan. And now perhaps Iranian soil as well. Both Kabul regime and Mullah of Qom cant see Pakistan in the eye and want someone to do the dirty laundry for them, that is where India comes in handy.

Iran is a lots more influential than Pakistan.
It is the US interests to reduce Chinese influence in this area.
And dont try to teach us about trade .We are excellent in trade and commerce..

What influence? They just came out of sanctions. They are just learning the ropes at the moment.

Yes it is in American interest to curtail China. But is it working? NOPE

Among the three of you, the third world countries, what you are making that the world will be so excited about to use your so called trade route?

in short :

Wrong. The Silk Road originally never was one route but differant roads all going in the general direction of the West. The CPEC is reinterpretation of one of those ancients world's Silk Routes. CPEC is in fact the rejuvenetion of links between ancient Pakistan and ancient China that go back thousands of years ago.

For example Buddhism from Ancient Pakistan (centred around Gandhara in Taxila adjacent to modern Islamabad) travelled north along what is now the Karakorum Highway up to Kashgar in Tarim Basin and further deep into China. We also saw the Kushan Kingdom link this part of the world so in fact CPEC is modern legacy that links China with Pakistan and has long history going back to ancient times betwen our two great peoples.

kkh_overview.gif

gandhara-civilization-rise-fall-today-4-728.jpg

330744182_e059aec274.jpg

And the shortest route from China to Russia is NOT through Iran. It is from China, Kazakstan to Russia which already is buzzing with activity.

Ancient Silk Routes (map below) notice the southern spur goes from Kashgar in China south to Taxila, Pakistan and then Arabian Sea near Karachi.

PictureMapRoutes.jpg

Last edited:
If port main objective is trade than there will be no comparison of Chinese trade through gawadar with Indian trade to Afghanistan and onward.

But if it has other objectives than Iranian port is serious contender of gawadar.

Indian and US objectives is definately militarily and trade is only cover up.

For Iran, who don't want to get a developed port free of cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom