What's new

US asks Pak to pull out of IGP project to qualify for extensive assistance

hembo

Reaction score
Country
India
US asks Pak to pull out of Iran gas pipeline project to qualify for extensive assistance
Thu, Jan 14 04:10 PM
Islamabad, Jan.14 (ANI): The United States has asked Pakistan to dump its plan of receiving natural gas from Iran through a pipeline.

According to sources, US Special Envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke, during his meeting with Petroleum Minister Syed Naveed Qamar, said Islamabad would have to abandon its pipeline accord with Tehran in order to qualify for extensive American energy assistance especially for importing Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and electricity.

Insiders said that in case Pakistan cancels its plan of importing gas from Iran through pipeline, the US would help Islamabad import electricity from Tajikistan through Afghanistan's Wakhan corridor.

It is pertinent to mention here that India has already walked out of the proposed Iran-Pakistan-India (IPI) gas pipeline.

Pakistan had proposed to China to join the 7.4-billion-dollar IPI pipeline after India pulled out of the project.

The Chinese government had submitted a preliminary report to the Pakistan government seeking more information on the pipeline project.

This is an interesting development. Lets see which way pakistan turns.

Dont know about which way pakistan will turn, but the screws are certainly being turned on Pakistan.....Now it will be interesting to see if for all its Anti US rants, will Pakistan be able to turn it down and risk all the goodies its expecting :no:

Karan what do you mean by anti US rants. So when we are trying to free our self from the influence of the Americans it becomes a rant. I hope that the goodies are discarded and some other venue is found for the equipment that we are trying to precure. There are many countries in the world that sell the defence equipment, and also the strings that come with the US hardware; well one the example is the above case scenario.

Well I wouldn’t have doubted the original post, I hope that the GOP would realize that it is fruitless to cooperate with the Yanks as they will always keep their interests ahead of all and not care about the others at all. At this point of time the Gas deal is crucial for Pakistan for 2 reasons as we our self are feeling the shortage and also it will bring in much needed revenue.

Its ambition of United States to isolate Pakistan from China and Iran and make a collaboration of Pakistan + India against China. If USA is able to succeed doing so, it will break the importance of SCO and that will be limited to China and Russia and if Pakistan and India are together against China, USA would be able to control south Asia like never before plus that will make America Secure because threat and counter threat will exist within Asia and Europe and Americas will have less to worry about growing China and Russia.

Pakistan cannot leave out Iran gas pipeline project because of our energy requirements. USA imagines whole world belongs to it and every Natural Resource in the world belongs to it and therefore, cannot be used by any country including Iran, Pakistan or India. We also need to understand that these Natural Resources are not unlimited and within next 50 years world would have consumed most part of them. Now USA is intending to save it to the degree it can. India got Nuclear Deal because of multiple reasons and one of them is that and USA gave India and pushed it to stay away from consuming Natural Resources coming from Iran. Now it wants to deprive Pakistan in particular China of it.

The way USA is treating us is making extremely difficult for us to expect goodwill from them. This is not a matter of stopping Pakistan from natural gas, this is strategy to Isolate Iran and regain control of Pakistna that it is loosing badly. If patriotic Pakistanis will make decisions, we will turn this offer down. We are not American colony and we got to see what is better for us and what not. Period.

Last edited:
Karan what do you mean by anti US rants. So when we are trying to free our self from the influence of the Americans it becomes a rant. I hope that the goodies are discarded and some other venue is found for the equipment that we are trying to precure. There are many countries in the world that sell the defence equipment, and also the strings that come with the US hardware; well one the example is the above case scenario.

Rant was a wrong word.. I apologize..

I meant stance

Its ambition of United States to isolate Pakistan from China and Iran and make a collaboration of Pakistan + India against China. If USA is able to succeed doing so, it will break the importance of SCO and that will be limited to China and Russia and if Pakistan and India are together against China, USA would be able to control south Asia like never before plus that will make America Secure because threat and counter threat will exist within Asia and Europe and Americas will have less to worry about growing China and Russia.

Pakistan cannot leave out Iran gas pipeline project because of our energy requirements. USA imagines whole world belongs to it and every Natural Resource in the world belongs to it and therefore, cannot be used by any country including Iran, Pakistan or India. We also need to understand that these Natural Resources are non unlimited and within next 50 years world would have consumed most part of them. Now USA is intending to save it to the degree it can. India got Nuclear Deal because of multiple reasons and one of them is that and USA gave India and pushed it to stay away from consuming Natural Resources coming from Iran. Now it wants to deprive Pakistan in particular China of it.

The way USA is treating is is making extremely difficult for us to expect goodwill from them. The way America is meddling in Afghanistan, Baluchistan and within Pakistan's is way too arrogant to be tolerated. This is not a matter of stopping Pakistan from gas, this is strategy to Isolate Iran and regain control of Pakistna that it is loosing badly. If patriotic Pakistanis will make decisions, we will turn turn this offer down. We are not American colony and we got to see what is better for us and what not. Period.

I agree. It seems a childish demand from US side.

US may have differences with Iran but Pakistan should not pay price for that. Iran is Pakistan's neighbour and it has every right to do any business it deem necessary.

I support Pakistan in this matter. :cheers:

I guess it might be repeatation of KLB. Lots being talked about but finally pakistan accepting it fair and square.

You are right; but lets see! Becasue what I feel is that Zardari will be doing himself alot of harm this time if he acceps this US demand. Becasue he should be smart enough to realize that one can only turn on the pressure so much and then all hell breaks lose.

I agree. It seems a childish demand from US side.

US may have differences with Iran but Pakistan should not pay price for that. Iran is Pakistan's neighbour and it has every right to do any business it deem necessary.

I support Pakistan in this matter. :cheers:

Its back to pakistan having to make a choice. Go with US's demands (however childish) or give up the free goodies..

I guess it might be repeatation of KLB. Lots being talked about but finally pakistan accepting it fair and square.

If you read the street sentiment, it is NOT in the favor of KLB, not even after USA has given explanation about it. This is the bitcch government, particularly honorable his excellency Zardari who is reason to accept these aids because this will give him opportunity to stay incompetent for more period of time and save his fragile government from falling. Pakistan did not accept this bill, the government did and People of Pakistan do not own this government. Its rather a liability on Pakistan and we owe this land to give it something better than this regime.

If you read the street sentiment, it is NOT in the favor of KLB, not even after USA has given explanation about it. This is the bitcch government, particularly honorable his excellency Zardari who is reason to accept these aids because this will give him opportunity to stay incompetent for more period of time and save his fragile government from falling. Pakistan did not accept this bill, the government did and People of Pakistan do not own this government. Its rather a liability on Pakistan and we owe this land to give it something better than this regime.

Poor Zardari is only being made a scapegoat. remember, Even during the Kerry Lugar Bill, it was the Army who finally authorised and approvedit (disregarding the "street sentiments") and the poor guy got to buy all the brunts.

i m pakistani-and my decision is pak continue iran pak gas pipe line-and also same pak govt-amercan shame on u

so how does this sound for a conspiracy theory. US putting all these restrictions to change public sentiment against Zardari and the current govt. People start missing Mushy and his benovolant dictator ways and the stage is set for kayani to stage a coup to remove unpopular govt and install himself (or Musharraf ) at the helm with the support of the Pakistani public. US makes the necessary noises but stays hand in glove with old friend Mushy..

Back
Top Bottom