What's new

US Army major kills 12 in shooting rampage

He is a commissioned officer. To leave the military, he must resign his commission. All officers know this.

Whatever is going on, basically the major sent a clear message, unless you all still miss read it, he said: I fcuk'in quit. No need to spice it up, and leave it what it is.

I think the media should focus on the increasing suicide rate and the mental health of its soldiers... Only yesterday he was an American Major and today he is a Jihadist Muslim Jordanian..... How are his religious beliefs or ethnicity even relevant ? what is the whole point of bringing up these issues ?

Whatever is going on, basically the major sent a clear message, unless you all still miss read it, he said: I fcuk'in quit. No need to spice it up, and leave it what it is.
Short of trussing him up and put him on the plane, no one, not even the President himself, can make the man leave for Iraq if he is adamant not to go. And if you are going to disobey an order, resigning your commission is the least eventful thing you can do for yourself and everyone in the system.

This is what the impact of war does on soldiers. The sad sad thing is the soldiers in Iraq Afghanistan are not dieing for your country they are dieing for Capitalism. Since when did Iraq and Afghanistan have the capacity to attack the US even if it did the technology the USA got just defending its waters let alone its airspace is unreal. Terrorist Elements need to be rooted out of any society. but the realities of war are harsh i feel sorry for the soldiers with metal scars for life. But its what you gotta doo for the Money makers ey

Major Malik Nidal Hasan

Well, may be another Muslim hurt by so called anti-Islamic policies of US. But this time on their own soil. If his being Muslim has anything to do with this incident, US has something to worry about.

Short of trussing him up and put him on the plane, no one, not even the President himself, can make the man leave for Iraq if he is adamant not to go. And if you are going to disobey an order, resigning your commission is the least eventful thing you can do for yourself and everyone in the system.

I don't know what his options are. But is this story really that hard to understand? What does a Arab Muslim US citizen dressed up in US military uniform which is basically a Christian army do in Iraq in an invasion war in which Sadam Husein is wrongfully accused? Let's all cut the chase, shall we?

It's not his war. And he is not in a position to DEFEND the country.

I don't know what his options are. But is this story really that hard to understand? What does a Arab Muslim US citizen dressed up in US military uniform which is basically a Christian army do in Iraq in an invasion war in which Sadam Husein is wrongfully accused? Let's all cut the chase, shall we?

It's not his war. And he is not in a position to DEFEND the country.
Resigning one's commission have been the most effective and PEACEFUL way of expressing one's desire to leave military service. You are now no longer ignorant of what are the major's options. It does not matter how displeased he is/was with his country's foreign policies. What matter is how he express that displeasure.

Israeli colonel resigns over army's 'immoral' actions - Middle East, World - The Independent
A reservist colonel in the Israeli army has resigned his commission in protest at his army's "immoral conduct" in the occupied territories. In a searing open letter to the army's chief of staff, Lt-Col Eitan Ronel, a veteran of 1973's Yom Kippur War, the invasion of Lebanon, and the first Palestinian Intifada, returned his officer's commission.
Notice I deliberately use an Israeli example to ward off any accusation of 'bias' in my argument. This Israeli officer did not kill anyone in his displeasure and protest action. A resignation of one's commission is the highest protest an officer can present to his commander-in-chief. And the most peaceful as well.

He may be stop-lossed. He might have a contractual obligation to be repaid and didn't wish for separation from the service-simply not deploy.

Nobody here knows if he even attempted to resign his commitment.

I'm unsure why nukes are part of this conversation. There are NONE at Ft. Hood and we've an army doctor who is a health care PROVIDER who's taken lives.

I can't understand how any thing of that sort could happen.

Name-calling? I don't know. I know that as an army major and health care professional with an M.D. attached to his badge it couldn't have been very much.

I doubt his subordinates openly challenged him. Not the army way for a Spec. 4 to spout off to a major, a doctor, or both. I doubt his peers would, without provocation and of no accord, spout off. They would also be field-grade officers and, likely, health-care providers themselves. Taunting isn't typically a quality of the displayed demeanor for either professional military officers nor doctors.

The most lucid and compassionate comments I've read have come from a U.S. Army major who's an infantry officer with one tour in Iraq commanding a rifle company and I concur with his thinking-

There are too many fine muslim-American soldiers who willingly have seeked to serve our nation in a time of war that, while stressful for all of us, has had to be particularly hard for them. Yet they've done so and done so as warriors or combat-interpreters...or BOTH. We honor them and do not wish them to feel as thought their service means little or is superfluous.

My heart breaks for each of our fallen comrades-every single time we lose one. Yesterday we lost many at a place none of us could have imagined and we may or may not ever know the real reasons.

Attachments

• X00059_9_922200822412PM.jpg
    X00059_9_922200822412PM.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 19
What does a Arab Muslim US citizen dressed up in US military uniform which is basically a Christian army do in Iraq in an invasion war in which Sadam Husein is wrongfully accused?

The first part is beyond the pale, even though most people (myself included) agree that the war on Iraq was nothing more than a criminal racket - just as PRC's war on Vietnam in 1979 was (for the sake of Khmer Rouge).

Anyhow, the morality of the Iraq War is not the crux, or the "chase" of this particular occurrence here. Soldiers do not get to choose the war they "agree with" to decide on participation - within limits.

You can do that on another thread.

Once again, thou shall not make hay out of pain, milord from Pyongyang!

well this shows US how Pakistan is going through current difficult phase.
I hope this incident is not linked with al queada or talibans living in Pakistan.

Resigning one's commission have been the most effective and PEACEFUL way of expressing one's desire to leave military service. You are now no longer ignorant of what are the major's options. It does not matter how displeased he is/was with his country's foreign policies. What matter is how he express that displeasure.

Israeli colonel resigns over army's 'immoral' actions - Middle East, World - The Independent

Notice I deliberately use an Israeli example to ward off any accusation of 'bias' in my argument. This Israeli officer did not kill anyone in his displeasure and protest action. A resignation of one's commission is the highest protest an officer can present to his commander-in-chief. And the most peaceful as well.

You failed to mention in the early version of this news, he is trying to get a lawer to get him out of military. Now you can blame he didn't try as hard, but you can't blame he didn't try. And I guess the lawyer part will be taken out from the news of this story, forever.

That sounds so simplistic that it borders on disingenuous, Gambit. Perhaps I am ignorant on this. But how do you explain the myriad who "defected" to Canada to apply for refugee status - including women soldiers who will do anything but shipping out to Iraq?

Could they not have resigned their "commission"?

"Other two suspects are currently in custody, media is not interested to know them yet til confirmation."

It appears that he was on orders for Iraq. Maybe he was promised that he'd never have to deploy. Who knows? What is pathetic is that this man was a psychiatric M.D. and had performed a fellowship in Bethesda, Maryland at a facility called The Center For The Study Of Post-Traumatic Stress.

I don't know if he'd previously deployed or not.

Another news said that he was ready to be deployed in Iraq.

i dont know what was the cause for his shooting his fellows, but seems some kind of frustration.

RIP

You failed to mention in the early version of this news, he is trying to get a lawer to get him out of military. Now you can blame he didn't try as hard, but you can't blame he didn't try. And I guess the lawyer part will be taken out from the news of this story, forever.
I am aware of the still early news report of his legal attempts. But my point is that there is nothing in the code of conduct that would allow or even hinted that violence against one's own is part of that conduct. If there are financial obligations due because the military paid for my education, I would rather pay them once I am separated and in a civilian job, than to pay those dues in prison for insubordination and now -- murder. I do agree with you that so far his story just do not make sense.

Back
Top Bottom