What's new

Urdu is not our language: Mahmood Khan Achakzai in PDM's Karachi gathering.

Allowed each province their own language like India does. Ask the Indians here.
We’ve moved on from that. Urdu is the official language of Pakistan, and represents Pakistan far more than India now, regardless of the absolute numbers that speak it. Provinces can continue to teach their Native languages along with Urdu and English, but there is no turning back.

Last edited:
Call me what you like but the crap that they speak on Bollywood is Urdu/Hindi. In fact I have seen threads here which read "Urdu/Hindi". It's the same coin with two sides. Indeed if Urdu was a separate language from Hindi it would have helped Pakistan carve it's own identity with a bank of cultural capital as in songs, movie industry appropriate to it's size instead of just feeding off India as a cheap copy.
Allowed each province their own language like India does. Ask the Indians here.
So which language will be used in KPK? Pashtun,Hindko or Seraiki?
Battle lines are drawn its Pakistan vs its enemies now

Funny how the person agreeing with Achakzai is a Brit Pakistani who regularly gets banned for his racist posts and who has hardly spent more a few summers in Pakistan. Instead he is spewing nonsense here telling Pakistanis what their mother tongue should be.
Such people are confused citizen as they dont even know who they really are.

Let us not get over emotional, Muslims of South Asia have a deep and historical link with the Urdu language.

I won't say over emotional but maybe just a little

First of all Qap'la my friend.

I can't speak Klingon mate, had Quaid-e-azam selected Klingon then i would have :cheesy:. so i googled that, apparently that means "good bye" as well as "good luck"

So my reply 'IwlIj jachjaj

P.S. don't me to pronounce that :cheesy:

images (8).jpeg

First of all Qap'la my friend.

secondly, my friends Achekzai has the right to express what he thinks is right. Its our right to accept it or reject it. No one becomes a traitor just by rejecting Urdu.

People we are Pakistani. We are progressive and we are liberal. Do not act like Indians, who if they do not like other person point of view brand them as anti national.

In my view Urdu should be our Official Language not our National Language. Pakistan should not have one language. Urdu Punjabi Kashmiri Pushtu Baluchi Brahui, Balti Sindhi should all be our National languages. As the people of the planet vulcan says Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
It is same thing, national or official. Fact of the matter, more difficult it is to make Urdu "official" official language. Elite wants to speak english doesn't matter how poorly they speak. Right now national language of Pakistan is meenglish which is quiet distasteful.

Some one tell him how Pakistan movement started .
First pillar of PAKISTAN movement was started when congress revoked URDU and make it Hindi first language during SIR SYED era. He is abusing national language of Pakistan - Amazing.
The Hindi-Urdu controversy in Syed Ahmad's time was primarily a communal North Indian issue; not sure how you consider it as the "first pillar of Pakistan movement" when the people of modern-day Pakistan hardly understood or spoke the language at that time.

Last edited:
Urdu is a Islamic imperial language that was utilised by Muslim empires to ensure they could speak to their empire in India

It became the language of the muslim court
Very inaccurate.

Urdu is a Hindustani language with it's origins in the UP region where it was largely contained until the British began to aggressive promote it.

By the time Urdu even "caught on" the Mughal Empire had primarily been reduced to regions around Delhi only. Modern-day Pakistan in this period was free from Mughal rule. Besides the late declining Mughal Empire, no other Muslim Empire utilized Urdu on a state level.

It was the British that spread and enforced the language.
*Smart forward looking idea would have been to use Farsi as the frame and then nativise it by mixing Punjabi, Pashto etc and giving it a new name like "Pakvan". This is what Indonesians did. Pressure punped a new language.
Something similar had already existed. Early British travelers to the region (modern-day Pakistan) noted a local dialect of Farsi they termed "Sindho-Persian" that was used as the lingua franca among the common people.

Last edited:
He is right, urdu have its root in uttar pradesh.

Urdu is a Islamic imperial language that was utilised by Muslim empires to ensure they could speak to their empire in India

It became the language of the muslim court

That is why there are many similarities between Urdu and Indonesian language which happen through Arabic loan words

@Talwar e Pakistan Sir could you provide input on some of the topics in thread?
I believe what's done is done, there is little point in discussing these matters now.

We needed a foreign lingua franca so that no provincial language takes precedence over the other. Farsi and Urdu were the two main candidates with Urdu being green-lighted to better accommodate the Muhajirs.

My main issue with Urdu is that it has set us on a cultural trajectory towards India, a country of 1.3 billion, whose cultural output we will never be able to match. Farsi would have been an interesting choice, not only was it just as, if not more popular than Urdu prior to the 1930's but it also would have put us on an equal footing in terms of cultural output comparison within the Farsi speaking world.

However, Urdu has now solidified itself as the Quomi Zuban and there is little that can be done to change that

Back
Top Bottom