What's new

Upgraded Indian 'Mays' missing vital systems, says watchdog

Adux

Reaction score
Upgraded Indian 'Mays' missing vital systems, says watchdog

The first two of five Indian Navy (IN) Ilyushin Il-38 'May' maritime reconnaissance aircraft (MRA) upgraded recently in Russia to the Il-38SD configuration remain without essential avionics and weapon systems, a government watchdog committee has found. These shortcomings are "seriously limiting their [the Il-38SD's] operational capabilities", India's Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) warned in a report tabled in parliament on 14 May.

[Jane's Defence Weekly - first posted to http://jdw.janes.com - 17 May 2007]

I just posted this in the 'Indian Buildup' thread.
Do you have the full story, I'm no longer a member of JDW.

What an idiotic bunch, what do they think the Sea Dragon is?
I agree if they told the Russians delayed it quite a lot., But i doesnt have missiles. I have had enough of stupid journalists and even stupider Parlimentarians.

d951ba6157aa8d001876f706915fe242.jpg

New Delhi: The Comptroller and Auditor General says four frontline warships recently acquired by the Indian Navy are sitting ducks for enemy submarines.

The latest CAG has put a question mark over the Naval fleet's battle worthiness and says the warships were recently inducted(whaat? the talwars are recently inducted?) into the Navy without Sonar capability.

This suggests that these mighty ships have little or no capability to detect submarines. The reference is to the three Talwar class stealth frigates and the guided-missile destroyer, INS Mumbai.

The auditor's view of Defence Procurement is that India is not getting its money's worth. And worse, it's being done in a way that could gravely compromise national security.

The reason for the lack of Sonars on these ships is a familiar one: the DRDO promised and then failed to deliver.

Meanwhile, the Navy is putting up a brave face.

“If it was commissioned without the Sonar capability then I will be very surprised. But if it was not contemporaray then I think in the Indian Ocean, the Navy can live with it,” says Defence Analyst, Commodore Ranjit Rai.

But that's not all. The Rs 673 crore programme for upgrading India's maritime reconnaissance capability is a dud, the CAG concludes.

The upgraded Ilyushin-38 aircraft are defenceless, flying without the avionics and weapon systems needed for warfare at sea.

Contracts for anti-ship missiles and torpedos and sonobuoys for detecting submarines have not been signed even six years after the project was initiated.

So is the Indian Naval muscle fake? The CAG has stirred the pot and the jury is out.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/navy-war...a/40667-3.html

What idiots!!!!!! IL-38 have seen in many occassion firing missiles after sea dragon upgradation!!!! Like th picture i posted above..!!!!!

Or is this ploy to get more funds for the Navy AWACS, they have been talking lately!!
P-8A as well as for hawkeye2000 latest version?????

Ahh.................plz. Wake Up Dude

Its not the Reporters who need to be blame but its the Stupid Indians(us) who need to blame.

This is what you can expect when a lot of Indians dont realize the Importance or had the education on Defence.
Lot of Indians gone Brainwashed thinking Indian Products Sucks and Forgien Porducts are better. A Normal Civilian doesn't even know the Defence Requirments,Doctrine and how much Sucessful projects had done by DRDO,ISRO and other Organizations.

You can Check Articles about Arjun Tank,LCA, Missile Developments and other Stuff. You can see a whole lot of BS Artciles posted by Many News Links of both Desi and Foreign. My personal Favaurite will be the IndianExpress(Shiv Aroor)

These Idiots doesnt know the Importance of projects like LCA and they keep on barking whatever they want. He dont even realize the Improtance and the Must of LCA aircraft for IAF. LCA is not only an Aircraft but its a Life in Indian Aviation Industry a huge forward step in having our own Industry.
They are lot Advantages and Importance our Country can Gain by LCA then one can Imagine.

In Other Sentence, LCA Aircraft is Must. No matter how many Billions we spend LCA Tejas it doesn't Matter. If our Home Grown Aviation Industry develops we canm make a lot of $$$ from both Foreign and Domesticaly. Our Indian Aviation is growing more bigger and it needs more Aircraft and Facilities. Now this is Good chance for Indian Aviation Companies to Bang some Deals for the Starting.

For a Military Expert, He will make fun over Articles written by various reporters like Shiv aroor and others but when it comes to normal Civilian who has no Idea about Defence he blindly believe every single ****. They easily get fooled.

Iam atleast glad that not every singe News Link is not a based on DRDO Bashing and etc. Some News links and Forums like BR, IDF, FrontierIndia, Aviation Keypub, had realized the Fact

CAG reports is suppose to be a delayed one. They take stock of the situation a year back and come with the report this year. So definitly its not going to be a updated one.

Thats the same reason why they have said In ships lacked sonars. Those sonars were supposed to be fitted later under a seperate deal.

Back
Top Bottom