What's new

Update on J-11B Project

it goes to show how little you understand modern air combat, range from the role of C4I, EW, datalink, to network-centric warfare, detection range, to missile guidance.

While The J-11B is not a game changer, but your post clearly suggested you are interested in flame. It is not how "big" you are, it is how to use it. The question is, how is the J-11B with its new found capability is going to fit into PLAAF's current Anti-access doctrine and will it be an effective solution and in large enough numbers to fulfill PLAAF's requirement. While the Russian AA systems and its guidance is well-know in the international arms market (anyone with USD can buy them, including the US of A), there is a reason for China's decision to arm their bird with their own systems such as the PL-12, PL-8 etc.

Again, your post clearly shows you are not interested in a meaning exchange.

i am not against use of J11 by China.... its ur wish u can use what u like.... also if u think it fits ur bill so good for u...:cheers:

i only posted against the opinion in post 2 that j11 is better than mki, which is wrong as mki is a vastly superior fighter than j11 and is one of best in the world...
as it is a defence forum weapons have to be rated on reality and not sentiment...:)

The new J-11 is a Chinese version of the Sukhoi Su-27SK air superiority fighter. Sukhoi originally provided kits to Shenyang Aircraft Corporation upon an agreement in 1995, but over time there were to be increasing Chinese content in the aircraft, with up to 70% of all Su-27 ordered by the PLAAF to be Chinese-made. It has been reported that Sukhoi agreed to an upgrade program, allegedly in 2001, with improved radar and attack avionics. However, in 2004, Russian media reported that Shenyang co-production of the basic J-11 was stopped after around 100 examples were built. The PLAAF later revealed a mock-up of an upgraded multirole version of the J-11 in mid-2002. It was equipped with Chinese anti-ship and PL-12 air-to-air missiles presumably for the role of a maritime strike aircraft. The reason which lead to the sudden stop in the production line of the J-11 was the obsolete avionics and radar, which were structured for aerial missions. This was an issue in which the PLAAF evaluated after the first 100 J-11 were built, in that it lacked any true precision-strike capabilities, only being able to deliver unguided freefall bombs. With a contract of an initial 200 J-11 allowed to be produced in Shenyang under the Chinese-Russian contract made in the 90's, the PLAAF decided to modernize the J-11 with domestic radar, avionic suites, manufacture methods and material upgrades to extend the life of the aircraft in service. Reports and interviews points out that the upgraded and overhauled standard J-11, the J-11B is similar in capabilities and performance to the American F-15E and Russian export flanker Su-30MKK3.

when you write post like this, people will see you as nothing but a flamer and no one would take you seriously.

sorry mate
the pictures dont say anything at alll..!!!
the difference is only fractional.. 1/10000000000000000 kind of stuff....

it is a defence forum weapons have to be rated on reality and not sentiment...

really, you fooled me. It seems you just counter your finger-pointing just two posts above. I suggest you follow your own advice as there are more professional ways to point out that the MKI is better then J-11B. If you care to cite examples or drawn parallels in areas such as radar, C4I, weaponry, Logistic, readiness rate, maintenance, etc, etc, your argument would carry more weight.

Saying words such as "difference is only fractional.. 1/10000000000000000" on instruments flying, cockpit layout for improved avionics , and helmet-mounted sight would only degrade your already limited credibility.

One thing for sure the J-11B operator does not have to talk to the Russians for overhaul. One of the main reason China rejected the Su-33.

India set to discuss overhaul of Su-30 fighter jets with Russia
Air Force News — By RIA Novosti on October 12, 2009 at 5:25 am
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

NEW DELHI: India will discuss the modernization of the Russian-made Su-30MKI aircraft in service with its air force during an upcoming military-technical cooperation meeting in Moscow, the country's Defense Ministry said on Friday.

The Indian Air Force currently has 105 Su-30MKIs mainly deployed at airbases close to the Chinese border.

"The aircraft, contracted in 1996, are due for overhaul shortly and Russia has offered an upgrade of the aircraft with incorporation of the latest technologies during the major overhaul," the ministry said in a statement.

The IAF originally ordered 50 Su-30MKI aircraft from Russia in 1996 and an additional 40 planes in 2007. India's Hindustani Aeronautics (HAL) was also contracted to build 140 aircraft in India between 2003 and 2017 under a licensed production agreement.

India previously said it was satisfied with the performance of Russian Su-30MKI fighters and has recently expressed interest in buying another 50 Su-30MKIs.

The 9th meeting of the Russia-India Inter-Governmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation will be held on October 14-15 in Moscow and will be chaired by Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov and his Indian counterpart A. K. Antony.

The main focus of discussions during the meeting will be the extension of the existing bilateral agreement on military-technical cooperation for another 10 years, from 2011 to 2020.

Russian-Indian intergovernmental commission sessions are held annually and alternate between New Delhi and Moscow.

The current cooperation program until 2010 comprises about 200 joint projects, including the modernization of the Vikramaditya aircraft carrier (formerly the Admiral Gorshkov) for the Indian navy, the transfer of technology for the licensed assembly of T-90 tanks inIndia, the production of BrahMos missiles and the purchase of Smerch MLRS by India.

IRKUT Corporation :: News Archives :: LIFE TIME OF Su-30MKI POWER PLANT AL-31FP HAS BEEN CERTIFIED

i am not against use of J11 by China.... its ur wish u can use what u like.... also if u think it fits ur bill so good for u...:cheers:

i only posted against the opinion in post 2 that j11 is better than mki, which is wrong as mki is a vastly superior fighter than j11 and is one of best in the world...
as it is a defence forum weapons have to be rated on reality and not sentiment...:)

Some people would say that J11B is superior and point out its performance number. Others like you would disagree. In my opinion, if one is better than the other, its not that much difference (definitely not vastly supreior). So the real difference in this case is in pilot training, maintainence and combat strategy. If you want to compare J11B to something like F-22, then the plane itself makes the difference as F-22 is vastly superior to J-11B. You make it sound like MKI is equal to that of F-22 even though both MKI and J-11B are both generation 4.5 heavy multirole fighters that have been upgraded from its the original version by different people using different means.

One thing for sure the J-11B operator does not have to talk to the Russians for overhaul. One of the main reason China rejected the Su-33.

India set to discuss overhaul of Su-30 fighter jets with Russia
Air Force News — By RIA Novosti on October 12, 2009 at 5:25 am
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

NEW DELHI: India will discuss the modernization of the Russian-made Su-30MKI aircraft in service with its air force during an upcoming military-technical cooperation meeting in Moscow, the country's Defense Ministry said on Friday.

The Indian Air Force currently has 105 Su-30MKIs mainly deployed at airbases close to the Chinese border.

"The aircraft, contracted in 1996, are due for overhaul shortly and Russia has offered an upgrade of the aircraft with incorporation of the latest technologies during the major overhaul," the ministry said in a statement.

The IAF originally ordered 50 Su-30MKI aircraft from Russia in 1996 and an additional 40 planes in 2007. India's Hindustani Aeronautics (HAL) was also contracted to build 140 aircraft in India between 2003 and 2017 under a licensed production agreement.

India previously said it was satisfied with the performance of Russian Su-30MKI fighters and has recently expressed interest in buying another 50 Su-30MKIs.

The 9th meeting of the Russia-India Inter-Governmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation will be held on October 14-15 in Moscow and will be chaired by Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov and his Indian counterpart A. K. Antony.

The main focus of discussions during the meeting will be the extension of the existing bilateral agreement on military-technical cooperation for another 10 years, from 2011 to 2020.

Russian-Indian intergovernmental commission sessions are held annually and alternate between New Delhi and Moscow.

The current cooperation program until 2010 comprises about 200 joint projects, including the modernization of the Vikramaditya aircraft carrier (formerly the Admiral Gorshkov) for the Indian navy, the transfer of technology for the licensed assembly of T-90 tanks inIndia, the production of BrahMos missiles and the purchase of Smerch MLRS by India.

IRKUT Corporation :: News Archives :: LIFE TIME OF Su-30MKI POWER PLANT AL-31FP HAS BEEN CERTIFIED

Look like India is staying with Russian technology. Best of lucks to India.

Care to elaborate in which ways the MKI bests the J11B? Also, in response to your previous comment, Su-30 itself is just a heavily upgraded Su-27. So if one is to upgrade the Su-27 heavily, as in the J-11's case, one would naturally end up with a Su-30 or better. Furthermore, Su-30MKK's were purchased during the 90's, while Jiang Ze Min was still in power. Back then, PLAAF had no indigenous fighters in its inventory and the goal of acquiring Russian gear was for the sole purpose of reverse engineering, or upgraded engineering as I like to think of it. And basically that's pretty much it, a brief history of the J-11.

P.S. If you wish to flame, try flame in the Indian threads. There are quite a few rogue "Chinks" counter flaming there which might add to your agenda.

i wish turkey coproduce this aircraft and addopt turkish made avionics and weapon system into this program.congrats to chinese brothers.very beatiful plane.

i wish turkey coproduce this aircraft and addopt turkish made avionics and weapon system into this program.congrats to chinese brothers.very beatiful plane.

old thread man.

J-20 is far far superior. There is also another 5th gen under development in SAC. Turkey might be able to join. However, Turkey is already in JSF program, so I dont see how this would come true.

It would be awesome to see China cooperate in joint programs just like we did with our Pakistani brothers. Better still, programs to combine the best of Chinese, Pakistani and Turkish software and engineering.

Guys, Su-30MKI is India's best fighter. To have them admit that China has indigenously produced what India must manufacture using Russian kits is impractical.

Nevertheless, TVC engines and foreign avionics still make the MKI slightly superior than any Chinese jet in service. But, I think you guys can swallow that.

Last edited:
Guys, Su-30MKI is India's best fighter. To have them admit that China has indigenously produced what India must manufacture using Russian kits is impractical.

Nevertheless, TVC engines and foreign avionics still make the MKI slightly superior than any Chinese jet in service. But, I think you guys can swallow that.

no friend it means mki is a little better .on the whole there r a thousand factors to consider u ur self ll know .:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom