What's new

Unmanned Tejas: A Key to Affordable Power Projection?

fsayed

Reaction score
Country
India
@nair @proud_indian @Roybot @jbgt90 @Sergi @Water Car Engineer @dadeechi @kurup @Rain Man @kaykay @Abingdonboy @SR-91 @nang2 @Stephen Cohen @anant_s

@jbgt90 @ranjeet @4GTejasBVR @The_Showstopper @guest11 @ranjeet

@GURU DUTT
http://idrw.org/unmanned-tejas-a-key-to-affordable-power-projection/
LCA_TEJAS_GHHG.jpg

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) earlier this year confirmed that a team has already started work on the project to convert the LCA into a drone. HAL is confident that the project can be carried out within a short time frame and Unmanned Tejas will come as a boost in the making of a Stealthy Ghatak unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) in future.

While IAF officially has not commented on the development of Unmanned Tejas but increasing procurement cost of manned aircraft and rising need for new aircraft to replace older aircraft do advocates for affordable power projection, which needs a balance between manned aircraft and unmanned aircraft.

The sophistication of long-range Surface to Air missiles In high-end anti-access/area denial (A2/AD) environments will mean that first batch of strike aircraft while conducting air superiority missions are most vulnerable to be lost and sustaining combat manned air patrols will be extremely dangerous till most of the Surface to Air missile systems are eliminated.

Unmanned aircraft won’t have to risk precious life’s of Pilots and unmanned Tejas will also be considerably cheaper to produce since it will not require much equipment which is required on manned Tejas. Unmanned aircraft can also work in tandem with manned aircraft and can keep pilots in command over any mission.

While Drone technology is yet to move to fully autonomous technology yet and manned aircraft will remain relevant for decades to come but it is also a fact that to Sustain Air dominance robotics and autonomous systems will play key roles in future battles and Unmanned aircraft with present technology will be a good project to starts with initially.

India outdoes itself again with more ridiculous ideas.

The tejas once it flies over the border, land based jammer will jam it.

The avionics systems are too complex, too many makers, integration and software maintenance will be a chore, not to mention that with all the chips inside is made in china, china will be able to able to decrypt battle plans.

The RCS is simply too big, end of the day with too little weapons (since its designated as a light combat aircraft) once it uses up its weapon, it will be used as a kamikaze aircraft drone

Last edited:
So from front line light combat figher , to trainer, to tech demonstrator , to drone.

I like the evolution.

Question is, when the damn thing will be manned by the pilots and flying in IAF, proper?

Extremely good and doable idea. I heard of this before and am happy they're pursuing it. For automated landing there are two major experiments happening:

a) high speed maneuver enabled landing - this will be tested on the RLV TD experiment next year. This will have landing system and will try to land on runway. I think an adaptation of this system combined with the FBW will be used for U Tejas

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...-second-prototype-test-of-rlv-td-1629732.html

b) on a smaller scale we've tested something similar in the roustoms

EXCELLENT stuff but will mean a lot of work to be done. Great work. @Abingdonboy this and automated LUH will be projects to watch out for.

Last edited:
Extremely good and doable idea. I heard of this before and am happy they're pursuing it. For automated landing there are two major experiments happening:

a) high speed maneuver enabled landing - this will be tested on the RLV TD experiment next year. This will have landing system and will try to land on runway. I think an adaptation of this system combined with the FBW will be used for U Tejas

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...-second-prototype-test-of-rlv-td-1629732.html

b) on a smaller scale we've tested something similar in the roustoms

EXCELLENT stuff but will mean a lot of work to be done. Great work. @Abingdonboy this and automated LUH will be projects to watch out for.
Omg are you serious, you are equating fighter plane control algorithms to a 'mini space shuttle' which is just shoot up and crash into the IOR?:rofl:Like how you crash your Chandrayaan onto the moon? LOL

Omg are you serious, you are equating fighter plane control algorithms to a 'mini space shuttle' which is just shoot up and crash into the IOR?:rofl:Like how you crash your Chandrayaan onto the moon? LOL

the mini shuttle is landing on an airstrip in one year. And yes I do expect them to modify that SW for the jet. The 'mini shuttle/ had to manage a descent of hypersonic speeds from an altitude of 65 KM at speeds much higher than the jet. The descent and landing needs to be fused with the FBW. This will require a lot of work. But I think the starting point will be the same.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom