What's new

UN 'failed Sri Lanka civilians', says internal probe

Sashan

Reaction score
The United Nations failed in its mandate to protect civilians in the last months of Sri Lanka's bloody civil war, a leaked draft of a highly critical internal UN report says.

"Events in Sri Lanka mark a grave failure of the UN," it concludes.

The government and Tamil rebels are accused of war crimes in the brutal conflict which ended in May 2009.

The UN's former humanitarian chief, John Holmes, has criticised the report.

Mr Holmes said the UN faced "some very difficult dilemmas" at the time and could be criticised for the decisions it had taken.

"But the idea that if we behaved differently, the Sri Lankan government would have behaved differently I think is not one that is easy to reconcile with the reality at the time," he told the BBC's Newshour programme.

The UN does not comment on leaked reports and says it will publish the final version.

The 26-year war left at least 100,000 people dead. There are still no confirmed figures for tens of thousands of civilian deaths in the last months of battle. An earlier UN investigation said it was possible up to 40,000 people had been killed in the final five months alone. Others suggest the number of deaths could be even higher.

Former senior UN official Charles Petrie, who headed the internal review panel, told the BBC the "penultimate" draft the BBC has seen "very much reflects the findings of the panel". He is now in New York to present the report to the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

Sources say a brief executive summary, which sets out the panel's conclusions in stark terms, has been removed in a final report which will number about 30 pages, with additional detailed annexes.

UN spokesman Martin Nesirky told the BBC the UN does not comment on leaked reports. He said a final version would be published once the secretary general had received and read it.

Senior UN sources say Ban Ki-moon is determined to act on its wide-ranging recommendations in order to "learn lessons" and respond more effectively to major new crises, such as Syria, now confronting the international community

'Systemic failure'

The UN's investigation into its own conduct during the last months of the conflict says the organisation should in future "be able to meet a much higher standard in fulfilling its protection and humanitarian responsibilities".

The report does highlight the positive role played by some UN staff on the ground and the secretary general, but it points to a "systemic failure".

The panel questions decisions such as the withdrawal of UN staff from the war zone in September 2008 after the Sri Lankan government warned it could no longer guarantee their safety.

Benjamin Dix, who was part of the UN team that left, says he disagreed with the pullout.

"I believe we should have gone further north, not evacuate south, and basically abandon the civilian population with no protection or witness," Mr Dix told the BBC.

"As a humanitarian worker, questions were running through my mind 'what is this all about? Isn't this what we signed up to do?'"

Hundreds of thousands of Tamil civilians remained in the war zone, exploited by both sides: forcibly recruited by Tamil Tigers or used as human shields; or under indiscriminate government fire.

"We begged them, we pleaded with them not to leave the area. They did not listen to us," said a Tamil school teacher now seeking asylum in Britain, who did not want to be named. "If they had stayed there, and listened to us, many more people would be alive today."

Despite a "catastrophic" situation on the ground, this report bluntly points out that in the capital Colombo "many senior UN staff did not perceive the prevention of killing of civilians as their responsibility - and agency and department heads at UNHQ were not instructing them otherwise".

It says there was "a sustained and institutionalised reluctance" among UN personnel in Sri Lanka "to stand up for the rights of people they were mandated to assist".

'Culture of trade-offs'

Citing detailed records of meetings and reports, the review highlights how the UN did not publish mounting civilian casualty figures even though a detailed annex makes clear there was a "rigorous methodology."

Under intense pressure from the Sri Lankan government, it also did not make public that "a large majority" of deaths were caused by government shelling. The government repeatedly denied it shelled civilian areas.

How did the UN failure happen? The report explores at length how senior staff in Colombo "had insufficient political expertise and experience in armed conflicts and in human rights... to deal with the challenge that Sri Lanka presented", and were not given "sufficient policy and political support" from headquarters.

It also points to the Sri Lankan government's "stratagem of intimidation", including "control of visas to sanction staff critical of the state".

The result was a UN system dominated by "a culture of trade-offs" - UN staff chose not to speak out against the government in an effort to try to improve humanitarian access.

The UN spokesman in Colombo at the time says the organisation's staff felt bullied by the Sri Lankan government, and that there was a "genuine fear" for their safety.

The decision to withhold casualty figures was a result of the difficulties of operating in the country, added the spokesman, Gordon Weiss.

"It was an institutional decision not to use those [casualty lists] on the basis that those could not be verified and of course they couldn't be verified because the government of Sri Lanka wasn't letting us get anywhere near the war zone," Mr Weiss told BBC's Newshour programme.

Edward Mortimer, a former senior UN official who now chairs the Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice, says UN staff left when the population needed them more than ever.

"I fear this report will show the UN has not lived up to the standards we expect of it and has not behaved as the moral conscience of the world," Mr Mortimer said.

"There was a responsibility to protect in Sri Lanka but unfortunately it didn't get publicity like in Libya. The north of Sri Lanka was destroyed field by field, street by street, hospital by hospital but we didn't get that kind of reaction - Sri Lanka doesn't have much oil and isn't situated on the Mediterranean."

The executive summary of the draft highlights how "the UN struggled to exert influence on the government which, with the effective acquiescence of a post 9/11 world order, was determined to defeat militarily an organisation designated as terrorist".

The separatist Tamil Tigers, or LTTE, are a proscribed terrorist organisation in many capitals.

UN 'chose silence'

There were no UN peacekeepers in Sri Lanka but this report says the UN should have told the world what was happening, and done more to try to stop it.

In New York, "engagement with member states regarding Sri Lanka was heavily influenced by what it perceived member states wanted to hear, rather than by what member states needed to know if they were to respond".

During the last months of war, there was not a single formal meeting of the Security Council or other top UN bodies.

Frances Harrison, author of the book Still Counting the Dead on the last months of the war, told the BBC "the only way now for Ban Ki-moon to restore the UN's tattered credibility on Sri Lanka is to call an independent international investigation into the slaughter of tens of thousands of civilians in 2009".

"The UN chose to remain silent about potential war crimes," says the former BBC Sri Lanka correspondent.

A former UN official said the establishment of a panel, headed by Mr Petrie who is known for his outspoken views, is a sign "at least part of the UN is very serious about dealing with its failure in Sri Lanka".

BBC News - UN 'failed Sri Lanka civilians', says internal probe

Nope. its india that betrayed and failed srilankan tamils. Actually upa-1 of sonia took cold blooded revenge on tamils by remaining silent and helping Sl forces stealthy for the murder of her husband by LTTE. i see it as collective social punishment on SL tamils.

LTTE and SL government are two parties responsible for this genocide.

India having interceded on behalf of the SL government in the war kept quiet when the SL tamils were slaughtered in the last stages of the war. TN tamil leaders for all their claims of emotional bonding are traitors.

And not to mention this report, UN had failed these people.

In short, SL tamils were deserted by everyone.

LTTE and SL government are two parties responsible for this genocide.

India having interceded on behalf of the SL government in the war kept quiet when the SL tamils were slaughtered in the last stages of the war. TN tamil leaders for all their claims of emotional bonding are traitors.

And not to mention this report, UN had failed these people.

In short, SL tamils were deserted by everyone.
In SL calculations influence of India comes even before UN and everybody else.Thats Why President Rajapaksa secured the India's guarantee first before escalating the war with IN helping in in coordination to block the sea escape route. Rajapaksa could not have pulled it off without india agreeing to it.

In SL calculations influence of India comes even before UN and everybody else.Thats Why President Rajapaksa secured the India's guarantee first before escalating the war with IN helping in in coordination to block the sea escape route. Rajapaksa could not have pulled it off without india agreeing to it.

There was patrolling by the IN but Indian military assets were used in tracking the LTTE overseas floating arms inventories(floating ships holding arms in high seas which will be offloaded to LTTE high speed boats and the boats will transport the arms into SL waters to LTTE sea bases). One of the main reasons why LTTE lost the war is denial of vital arms like motars etc.

I do not give a damn that LTTE lost the war. In fact, they were dangerous to Indian security.

But my grouse is India just kept quiet(while Rajapaksa's brother Gotabaya kept Delhi of the happenings in SL) and I am inclined to agree with what you stated.

I am angry that about 30,000(upto 40,000 if the leaked report is to be believed) innocent lives were lost and no one has taken moral responsibility for these killings.

Update - I am watching BBC and it says BBC has seen the draft report.

There was patrolling by the IN but Indian military assets were used in tracking the LTTE overseas floating arms inventories(floating ships holding arms in high seas which will be offloaded to LTTE high speed boats and the boats will transport the arms into SL waters to LTTE sea bases). One of the main reasons why LTTE lost the war is denial of vital arms like motars etc.

I do not give a damn that LTTE lost the war. In fact, they were dangerous to Indian security.

But my grouse is India just kept quiet(while Rajapaksa's brother Gotabaya kept Delhi of the happenings in SL) and I am inclined to agree with what you stated.

I am angry that about 30,000(upto 40,000 if the leaked report is to be believed) innocent lives were lost and no one has taken moral responsibility for these killings.

Update - I am watching BBC and it says BBC has seen the draft report.
That shouldn't come as surprise to anyone as during the later stages of war SL forces were administered collective punishment by bombarding strafing civilians thats where india sat quietly.And i'm not wondered Why GOI sat silently one due to elections secondly coz GoI itself apt at committing such a large scale genocides .So it was not a big deal for netas sitting in delhi and chennai.
As for SL it was just taking revenge on Tamils for what LTTE did with Sinhalese.
While IN was patrolling aggressively it almost sealed off the sea route for LTTE both for weapons and for escaping.
So question still stands where is the 13th amendment as was promised before the war.It like India was again lead down the garden path by GoSL as usual as rajiv too was lead on the same path by the President Jayawardene.Seems GoI and congress never learns from its mistakes and keeps on repeating the same.

That shouldn't come as surprise to anyone as during the later stages of war SL forces were administered collective punishment by bombarding strafing civilians thats where india sat quietly.And i'm not wondered Why GOI sat silently one due to elections secondly coz GoI itself apt at committing such a large scale genocides .So it was not a big deal for netas sitting in delhi and chennai.
As for SL it was just taking revenge on Tamils for what LTTE did with Sinhalese.
While IN was patrolling aggressively it almost sealed off the sea route for LTTE both for weapons and for escaping.
So question still stands where is the 13th amendment as was promised before the war.It like India was again lead down the garden path by GoSL as usual as rajiv too was lead on the same path by the President Jayawardene.Seems GoI and congress never learns from its mistakes and keeps on repeating the same.

Well said. Even after more than 3 years, there is no 13th amendment in sight. Given a chance, SL will lay this item to rest. As for the last point, GOI or Congress is not going to push for the 13th amendment as they do not have any stakes - so there is no question of learning from the mistakes.

Meanwhile, I am reading the news in TOI that Karunanidhi has started using the blood of the SL tamilians - "With rhetoric on Lanka, Karuna charts poll course". He is the highest level scumbag who used tamil language to grow(and not contributing anything meaningful to the language) and now using SL tamil issue to win over the voters.

Who are responsible for if there are any civilian death.

1. India & Tamilnadu sate for giving training to a terrorist group
2. Tamil Diaspora for funding for weapons
3. Tamil Tigers for killing civilians by various methods including suicide bombs.
4. Sri Lankan political leaders messing with SL citizens
5. Paramilitary and some officers.

Well said. Even after more than 3 years, there is no 13th amendment in sight. Given a chance, SL will lay this item to rest. As for the last point, GOI or Congress is not going to push for the 13th amendment as they do not have any stakes - so there is no question of learning from the mistakes.

Meanwhile, I am reading the news in TOI that Karunanidhi has started using the blood of the SL tamilians - "With rhetoric on Lanka, Karuna charts poll course". He is the highest level scumbag who used tamil language to grow(and not contributing anything meaningful to the language) and now using SL tamil issue to win over the voters.

if you don't know about Sri Lankan constitution then don't talk about it.
okay let me know what are the rights Tamils getting by 13th amendment? :P

Who are responsible for if there are any civilian death.

1. India & Tamilnadu sate for giving training to a terrorist group
2. Tamil Diaspora for funding for weapons
3. Tamil Tigers for killing civilians by various methods including suicide bombs.
4. Sri Lankan political leaders messing with SL citizens
5. Paramilitary and some officers.

The list would be complete if you add some SL army officers. As for the highlighted portion, my position is the slaughter happened and we will leave it at that.

if you don't know about Sri Lankan constitution then don't talk about it.
okay let me know what are the rights Tamils getting by 13th amendment? :P

I think we discussed before and you are not in a position to judge my knowledge about the SL constitution. As for the 13th amendment, it was promised by SL and where has that promise gone?

The list would be complete if you add some SL army officers. As for the highlighted portion, my position is the slaughter happened and we will leave it at that.

I think we discussed before and you are not in a position to judge my knowledge about the SL constitution. As for the 13th amendment, it was promised by SL and where has that promise gone?

yep, I have already added that. under #5

13th amendment means our governing system, it does not effect to one ethnic. it effects to all sri lankan citizens. One specific group of people cannot take the decision of Sri Lanka. Once again Im asking from you let me know what are the special rights Tamils got by 13th amendment?? :P

yep, I have already added that. under #5

13th amendment means our governing system, it does not effect to one ethnic. it effects to all sri lankan citizens. One specific group of people cannot take the decision of Sri Lanka. Once again Im asking from you let me know what are the special rights Tamils got by 13th amendment?? :P

We discussed that before - it is too little too late - You guys eternally discriminated against SL tamils since the independence and much damage has happened - the 13th amendment is the compensation to be made by SL - federal divulgence of powers should happen. The basic tenet of the Srilankan accord signed by Rajiv is the 13th amendment. where has it disappeared,huh?

Mate - you can deny that and no one is going to force you considering the today's geopolitical situation where everyone has deserted the SL tamils. But the promise made/promise reneged by SL will be noted in history.

P.S - A partition happened in 1947 on the basic disagreement of the division of powers between center and the provinces - that is the India Pakistan partiton.

If that can happen, with all the discriminations shown by SL govt since independence, it can't be trusted and the division of powers need to happen. period.

Beyond that, you can argue that all groups have equal rights etc but your argument will go nowhere.

We discussed that before - it is too little too late - You guys eternally discriminated against SL tamils since the independence and much damage has happened - the 13th amendment is the compensation to be made by SL - federal divulgence of powers should happen. The basic tenet of the Srilankan accord signed by Rajiv is the 13th amendment. where has it disappeared,huh?

Mate - you can deny that and no one is going to force you considering the today's geopolitical situation where everyone has deserted the SL tamils. But the promise made/promise reneged by SL will be noted in history.

P.S - A partition happened in 1947 on the basic disagreement of the division of powers between center and the provinces - that is the India Pakistan partiton.

If that can happen, with all the discriminations shown by SL govt since independence, it can't be trusted and the division of powers need to happen. period.

Beyond that, you can argue that all groups have equal rights etc but your argument will go nowhere.

13th amendment is one of our governing system, it does not something that "Tamils" got. This governing system is functioning at this moment in here but most of them tells it is useless, There is a discussion since so long we have to change this system and should go for district level. So the people who live in each district have to take care of their needs. more power to the people!
I heard government is preparing 19th amendment we have to wait until then to know what type of system is that. As I said earlier that will be district based governing system.

you're are an Indian so I don't think you feel the difference between our systems. Sri Lankan governing systems aren't based on ethnic groups. But the India is based on ethnic, Tamilnadu sate, Kerala state etc etc
so no one in India getting the 'actual' 100% freedom in whole India, from the things what I have read on net.

the best thing SL gov had done was to send Tamils back to India after independence from UK.
Just as Myanmar did!
But unluckily that havent done!

13th amendment is one of our governing system, it does not something that "Tamils" got. This governing system is functioning at this moment in here but most of them tells it is useless, There is a discussion since so long we have to change this system and should go for district level. So the people who live in each district have to take care of their needs. more power to the people!
I heard government is preparing 19th amendment we have to wait until then to know what type of system is that. As I said earlier that will be district based governing system.

you're are an Indian so I don't think you feel the difference between our systems. Sri Lankan governing systems aren't based on ethnic groups. But the India is based on ethnic, Tamilnadu sate, Kerala state etc etc
so no one in India getting the 'actual' 100% freedom in whole India, from the things what I have read on net.

The 13th amendment was drawn by SL to have provincial councils and the Rajiv accord was to have the North and East ruled as a single province on the ethnic lines. Whether it works or not is a different story but it was agreed upon by SL.

Mate - You can come up with the 19th amendment or whatever but the future will say whether SL continue to discriminate or not against the SL tamils.

As for Indians not getting actual 100% freedom, that is a B.S.(I grew up in India and now I am an American - so I have two systems to compare with)

Back
Top Bottom