What's new

UN 'failed Sri Lanka civilians', says internal probe

30000 deaths is a bogus claim by many media. If u track how the figure of 30000 came into being you can understand that. a UN official published a book saying 3000-30000 died in SL war. Just see the range it is doubtful wthr this is a true figure. Then Tamilnet got the upper limit value from it and spread it in propaganda. Only then it started appearing in UN records. UN cannot have any idea abt the number of deaths since they have absolutely no evidence to back it up with.

I do not go by Tamilnet and stopped going to that site long time ago(even before LTTE was defeated) as I realised it dished out Goebbels' propaganda many a times. I prefer proper nos from neutral sources.

It is not about Tamils having a separate Kingdom. It is about them living there for ages.

It does not matter who was there earliest. It is about people living there for so many centuries. Again mate - we are spinning the wheels here. Lets agree to to disagree on this.

Then they don't need separate political entities to solve there problems. The existing ones (excluding Provincial councils) are enough.

I can point one for discussions sake - 1956 Sinhala only Act replacing English as the official language ignoring more than 25% population's interests(SL tamils, Moors, Estate Tamils) is one example.

You nailed it your self. Before 1956 "English" was the only official language. Keeping English was ignoring 99% of population's interests. So that also a discrimination. No Tamil politician said nothing about English being the only official language for nearly 8 years, until Sinhalese started the notion to change English to Sinhalese. So why is this hypocrisy?

BTW is it so discriminating to put Sinhala as the only official language. It was the interest of 75%. Also 1956 Sinhala only act didn't ban Tamil altogether. As it done to English.

I think the 13th amendment would bring in peace and stop all this tussle. That is the reality both SL govt, people and SL tamils need to understand.

That is your theory based on reports you read. You don't live in Sri Lanka to understand the gravity of the problem. The 13th amendment has not bring any peace for SL. Or else it should have done now because 13th amendment is active in Sri Lanka for the past 24 years (except North and until very recently in East)

Then they don't need separate political entities to solve there problems. The existing ones (excluding Provincial councils) are enough.

You nailed it your self. Before 1956 "English" was the only official language. Keeping English was ignoring 99% of population's interests. So that also a discrimination. No Tamil politician said nothing about English being the only official language for nearly 8 years, until Sinhalese started the notion to change English to Sinhalese. So why is this hypocrisy?
BTW is it so discriminating to put Sinhala as the only official language. It was the interest of 75%. Also 1956 Sinhala only act didn't ban Tamil altogether. As it done to English.

That is your theory based on reports you read. You don't live in Sri Lanka to understand the gravity of the problem. The 13th amendment has not bring any peace for SL. Or else it should have done now because 13th amendment is active in Sri Lanka for the past 24 years (except North and until very recently in East)

I do not say English only is a good practice. But it should have been English and Sinhalese(not even Tamil) - The background behind this is similar to India when Nehru tried to bring in Hindi alone policy but have to backout and go for Hindi and English policy.

I do not say English only is a good practice. But it should have been English and Sinhalese(not even Tamil)

Your opinion is not relevant here. (But it is the truth)

My point here is. Do you agree with Tamils claim as they were discriminated by the 1956 Act?

The background behind this is similar to India when Nehru tried to bring in Hindi alone policy but have to backout and go for Hindi and English policy.

India made the right choice and now we can see how far India has progressed. As for Sri Lanka banning English as a "oppressors cursed language" had severely crippled the countries progress and SL still feels the tremors of that decision.

Your opinion is not relevant here. (But it is the truth)

My point here is. Do you agree with Tamils claim as they were discriminated by the 1956 Act?

India made the right choice and now we can see how far India has progressed. As for Sri Lanka banning English as a "oppressors cursed language" had severely crippled the countries progress and SL still feels the tremors of that decision.

They were. Tamilians were dominant in the civil services due to their proficiency in English. They were forced to compete with the Singhalese for civil service jobs -a language where Tamilians were not proficient but a native language for the Singhalese. It should have been a fair fight - Singhalese give their exams in Singhalese language while Tamilians in English(Not even Tamil)

They were. Tamilians were dominant in the civil services due to their proficiency in English.

Can you state the reasons for that move? I highly doubt you can state it though.

They were forced to compete with the Singhalese for civil service jobs -a language where Tamilians were not proficient

What is wrong with that? They should've known that they cannot compete with majority.They should've accepted the fact and get along with it. But they had chosen to make a new country out of nothing.

So whose fault is that? Should Sinhalese be blamed?

They were. Tamilians were dominant in the civil services due to their proficiency in English. They were forced to compete with the Singhalese for civil service jobs -a language where Tamilians were not proficient but a native language for the Singhalese. It should have been a fair fight - Singhalese give their exams in Singhalese language while Tamilians in English(Not even Tamil)

So you are expecting English speaking Tamils should have dominated civil services? Majority of Sinhalese or Tamils or Moors cannot expect service in English. British used Tamils against Sinhalese, that what they did so they able to keep the control over SL.

you can face exams in Sinhala or English or Tamil medium in SL.

I think the 13th amendment would bring in peace and stop all this tussle. That is the reality both SL govt, people and SL tamils need to understand.

If you want to read the 13th amendment, I can give the 13A pdf file. There isn't mentioning SL Tamils there.

Back
Top Bottom