What's new

UN court to decide Marshall Islands case against Pakistan, India, Britain next month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
UN court to decide Marshall Islands case against Pakistan, India, Britain next month
By AFP
Published: September 23, 2016
6SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
THE HAGUE: The United Nations’ top court announced Thursday that it will render its decision early next month in the case the Marshall Islands has brought against India, Pakistan and Britain for not abandoning the nuclear arms race.

“On Wednesday October 5, 2016, the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, will deliver its judgements” in these cases, the court said in a statement.

“It is recalled that Judgments of the Court have binding force and are without appeal for the Parties concerned,” the statement added.

Marshall Islands takes on India, Pakistan with nuclear warning at UN court

The Marshall Islands in the heart of the Pacific Ocean was the scene of numerous nuclear tests between 1946 and 1958. Some 67 nuclear bombs of different force were exploded on its territory.

The government of the archipelago is calling for the three nuclear powers to take “all necessary measures” to carry out what it considers their obligations with regard to the non-proliferation treaty on nuclear weapons.

That 1968 treaty — ratified by London but not Islamabad or New Delhi — requires countries to pursue in good faith the negotiations on measures for nuclear disarmament. The Marshall Islands contends that India and Pakistan also face this obligation under customary international law.

The case of a remote tiny island attacking Pakistani nukes

The island nation of just 72,000 people had filed its complaint at ICJ in 2014 against a total of nine countries, the others being China, North Korea, France, Russia, the United States and Israel — which has never officially confirmed it possesses the atomic bomb.

The complaint however cannot be heard against the other six countries unless they give the court the green light.

The nuclear tests in the Marshall Islands took place mainly on the atolls of Bikini and Enewetak. The biggest explosion was the Castle Bravo blast conducted by the United States in 1954, considered 1,000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima in 1945.

It is recalled that Judgments of the Court have binding force and are without appeal for the Parties concerned,” the statement added.

Where was this binding Force when USA ignored UN resolutions about not to attack Iraq for WMDs ???
This drama of UN has lost its credibility long ago ...

BLOODY UN WITHOUT ANY POWER AGAINST AGGRESSORS

I must thank marshall islands to start a topic in the world where India and Pakistan will be together along with Britain. lol..I see lots of frustration pouring out in this thread against US/UN by majority of the members. and it will be more if for some reason, court decides to rule against the three countries.

Can anyone tell me what's is Marshall Island case in simple words

Pakistan should sign the treaty ONLY if Israel and India do so as well...Otherwise forget it...

Where was this binding Force when USA ignored UN resolutions about not to attack Iraq for WMDs ???
This drama of UN has lost its credibility long ago ...

BLOODY UN WITHOUT ANY POWER AGAINST AGGRESSORS

100% Agreed !

After reading the title of this thread, For a moment I thought the case is to determine whether Marshall Island is part of Britain, Pakistan or India and I was gonnai say of course it is integral part of Pakistan and why any doubts etc... I was also making conspiracy theory that the word Marshall is derived from the word Masha'Allah and back in 1990s Pakistan was said to be ruled by 3 A's Allah, Army and America and as you see we even share their name and Then I opened the thread and here comes the news which hardly matters. Do you think US and Russia will abandon their weapons program just because an alienated Island has filed a case against them

Trolling yeah but its true that whatever the final verdict is, it won't do anything for the nuclear armed nations

After reading the title of this thread, For a moment I thought the case is to determine whether Marshall Island is part of Britain, Pakistan or India and I was gonnai say of course it is integral part of Pakistan and why any doubts etc... I was also making conspiracy theory that the word Marshall is derived from the word Masha'Allah and back in 1990s Pakistan was said to be ruled by 3 A's Allah, Army and America and as you see we even share their name and Then I opened the thread and here comes the news which hardly matters. Do you think US and Russia will abandon their weapons program just because an alienated Island has filed a case against them

Trolling yeah but its true that whatever the final verdict is, it won't do anything for the nuclear armed nations

Lol...

Nevertheless, "faith in humanity restored" , anyone ?

UN is as useless as anything can be.... We better stop our support for UN....they don't do jack about anything and are irrelevant

Can anyone tell me what's is Marshall Island case in simple words
Marshall Island was the site for numereous nuclear tests around 1950s. Suffering because of all that nuclear material/tests they had asked for India, Pakistan and UK to stop the nuclear arms race citing that aa a threat to human race and the world. THAT was the case and UN being the peace broker that it is have alraed rejected that! :P

EXACTLY my reaction minus the conspiracy theories :lol:. (but i do like the idea now)
I read it about a month back and in that time the decision have already been made. UN is all cool with nukes :lol:

Marshall Island is an important and integral part of Pakistan, and no UN decision will make us abandon the claim on that disputed territory................oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom