What's new

UK woman sues Indian neighbours for cooking spicy food

This is what Tamils eat (Iyers, Iyengars, Chettiars eat different combinations, Chettiars eat non-veg - meat and fish - the Brahmins don't. I don't know the variations for others. I know that sea-food is not quite Chettiar but the Chettiars love it. Iyers are very business-like in food serving as in everything else, and before the meal, you get minute portions served so that you can actually plan your meal!

upload_2016-7-27_10-58-54.jpeg
upload_2016-7-27_11-1-49.jpeg
upload_2016-7-27_11-2-17.jpeg
upload_2016-7-27_11-2-52.jpeg

These are all meals, NOT tiffin. This is tiffin.

upload_2016-7-27_11-3-34.jpeg

That's just a nice way of saying "I am a traitor...I am a self hating Bengali who would not bat an eye trampling on the graves of my forefathers." Remember one thing we,your eastern brethren, gave our lives for the very dish you diss today...we fought for fish over dry tandoori chicken and rooti the Pakistanis eat.SHAME ON YOU.

:cry::cry::cry:

Filled with remorse, I retire from this thread. Farewell, cruel world.

Highlights
• Joanna Cridlin claims the "strong overwhelming vapour of hot chillies" leads to respiratory problems

• She says the spicy smell "permeates her home" for 8 hours after her neighbours have finished cooking

• Cridlin says the smell should be classified as "anti-social behaviour"

LONDON: A woman in the UK has filed a court case against her neighbours for cooking spicy food which she says waft out "pungent toxic fumes", causing her "respiratory problems" as well as choking.

Joanna Louise Cridlin, an animal rights campaigner, is suing her neighbours' landlord Viridian Housing at London's High Court to try to force them to take action.
Cridlin, who is also seeking a compensation payout, claims that the "strong overwhelming vapour of hot chillies" leads to "respiratory problems" and "constricts her airways and burns her windpipe".

She says the spicy smell "permeates her home" in Wandsworth, south London for eight hours after her neighbours have finished cooking, describing it as "torture".Cridlin said she had also "choked in her sleep" and "staggered to her balcony gasping for air" after the fumes brought on breathing problems, the metro.co.uk reported.
Cridlin says the landlords have "ignored her legitimate appeal for help" and are not reacting strongly enough to her complaints about the chilli fumes.

Noting that she suffers from breathing problems, Cridlin says the smell should be classified as "anti-social behaviour".
The contents of the writ are yet to be tested in evidence before a judge.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...r-cooking-spicy-food/articleshow/53399266.cms

A Swedish woman living in Germany was fond of Sauer Herring (Swedish speciality)
and had Sauer Herring dinner in her appartment.
The neighbours complained about the smell (never heard about anyone eating it anywhere but outside!),
but half a Year later she repeated the dinner, and this time the neighbours sued.

The court strategy was obvious, open a tin of Sauer Herring inside the court, forcing a quick decision that Sauer Herring was a Public Menace, and if she ever had Sauer Herring again, she would be evicted.

The trick to open a tin of Sauer Herring:

1 year old: put the tin in a plastic bag and open.
2 year old: same as first year, but put the plastic bag in a bucket of water first.
3 year old: put tin next to a tree, and open with an air gun at 5 meters distance.
image.jpeg

A Swedish woman living in Germany was fond of Sauer Herring (Swedish speciality)
The neighbours complained about the smell (never heard about anyone eating it anywhere but outside!),
but half a Year later she repeated the dinner, and this time the neighbours sued.

The court strategy was obvious, open a tin of Sauer Herring inside the court, forcing a quick decision that Sauer Herring was a Public Menace, and if she ever had Sauer Herring again, she would be evicted.

2 year old: same as first year, but put the plastic bag in a bucket of water first.
3 year old: put tin next to a tree, and open with an air gun at 5 meters distance.
View attachment 321099

Indian food is considered delicious all over the world. To be honest, the only people making jibes about curry this and curry that are borderline racist. And its not really about the food or the smell. At least we don't eat things raw or infested with fungus and worms. Some relatives once got us some cheese from Germany. Few days later it was like something had died in the fridge.

Some people cannot tolerate spicy food at all. They get respiratory problems too and yes India food is very strong and flavor and aroma, and it may be problematic to some. This is the reason why the same religion, or caste or region are preferred in an apartment complex who have same dietary habits to avoid these kind of petty issues.

You can call it racist, communal or what ever but the food smell sometimes is very very disturbing and can create lot of tensions.

The point where you start stirring when the onions, chilli, meat or veg concoction, it releases lots of smell.

Tadka! I do a mean tadka; I was taught well.

Yes, it does pong a bit.

View attachment 321099

LOL.

Now come to Bengal (@Anubis has already named and shamed me; might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb).

OOoooo hello!!!

We may be enemies but dont you dare talk about our food!!
Asi ke tasi you fish and chips eating thugs :P

I am with the Indian aunty jee on this!!!

:cry::cry::cry:

Filled with remorse, I retire from this thread. Farewell, cruel world.
On a side note sir, Since food seem to be the topic of debate now (despite the thread title) i hope you wont mind sharing if you are a vegetarian or you do like meat as well? Really sorry if that was not a question to be asked here sir. Just ignore it is that is the case.

OOoooo hello!!!

We may be enemies but dont you dare talk about our food!!
Asi ke tasi you fish and chips eating thugs :P

I am with the Indian aunty jee on this!!!

On a side note sir, Since food seem to be the topic of debate now (despite the thread title) i hope you wont mind sharing if you are a vegetarian or you do like meat as well? Really sorry if that was not a question to be asked here sir. Just ignore it is that is the case.

With my remorse rapidly draining out, I re-enter the thread.

I'm a 99% vegetarian.

I've eaten both beef and pork, and sea-fish cooked/baked or fried, and Japanese Teppanyaki (you really don't want to know too much about that!) when in Japan, along with several other Japanese cooking styles, but 99% of the time, I eat a sedate vegetarian diet. One which I have been cooking for myself for the last year or so, to the vast amusement of my (absent) wife, daughter, lady friend and well-wisher member of this board who is a professional chef.

I prefer steaks to curries; in fact, grills are OK, curries not so.

PS: The best I've et has been in the Punjab (two stints in Ludhiana), where the food is so wholesome that anything you cook is humongously tasty. I can't even begin to describe the taste of gajrela on a minus 5 winter evening, with the cold wind sweeping down straight from Shimla.

The next best is Gujju food. That, and the young women and their costumes during Navratri, are the highlights of Gujarat (OK, shut up, @jbgt90 - go find your own fleshpots).

Iyengar - strictly, Mysore Iyengar - food comes close. Iyer food is OK, I can take it or leave it.

And if you want to eat pate for the price of mince, try Tunda Miyan's kababs in Lucknow.

I can buy up every red-blooded Pakistani's loyalty with that secret weapon alone.

Indian food is considered delicious all over the world. To be honest, the only people making jibes about curry this and curry that are borderline racist. And its not really about the food or the smell. At least we don't eat things raw or infested with fungus and worms. Some relatives once got us some cheese from Germany. Few days later it was like something had died in the fridge.

Hah! You haven't eaten Gorgonzola yet. It moves!

The OP must be ready to kill herself - no troll-fest, no wolf-pack attacks on the Indians! What a waste of an evening!!

Some people are allergic and cough when too much spicy food is being cooked. I don't know if it has any long term effects though.

The smell of dried beef (Unakkirachi- flattened smoke-dried beef as we call in Kerala) frying, if it contains some remnant fat/tallow will be the yuckiest smell to experience.
But, Unakkirachi is yummy.
_DSC9635.JPG

Back
Top Bottom