What's new

UK wants war crimes perpetrators punished

The key words here are "have spoken" not "are speaking".

You might be right.

I am not sure exactly what is going on but from what I can see it seems like Jamat is going to be a banned illegal organization in Bangladesh and as we can see even here it will hurt the feelings of one or two on this forum, who are of course "not Jamati".

Even if they are banned by the help of India, the west will restore them during the caretaker government. Banning them now will set the country on fire. Which will likely bring the military back.
p.s. read the wall street journal article of the past few days, you will get a jist of who they are supporting. They make it look like anti jamaat forces and pro jamaat forces are protesting while police are using brutal forces on jamaat. WSJ is a major news outlet and an American mouth peace. American media barely mentions the magnitude of the shahbag protests.

Even if they are banned by the help of India, the west will restore them during the caretaker government. Banning them now will set the country on fire. Which will likely bring the military back.

Do you have Obsession-compulsive disorder ?

Can you not make single valid argument without taking name of India ?

Do you have Obsession-compulsive disorder ?

Can you not make single valid argument without taking name of India ?

Root of all bangladesh's problem is India, hope Pakistan nukes it:angel:............there you go, i just gave you a reply that you desserved...happy now?:lol:

p.s. read the wall street journal article of the past few days, you will get a jist of who they are supporting. They make it look like anti jamaat forces and pro jamaat forces are protesting while police are using brutal forces on jamaat. WSJ is a major news outlet and an American mouth peace. American media barely mentions the magnitude of the shahbag protests.

Interesting.

Do you have a link to the WSJ site?

You might be totally right. I don't know. I was strongly of the belief the US would try to prevent the banning of Jamat but I still get the feeling that they will - rightfully so - still be banned.

I could be totally wrong.

P.S. stop using the word "Jamat", a certain *someone* on a crusade to ban any mention/criticism of Jamat may get furious.

:lol:

Interesting.

Do you have a link to the WSJ site?

You might be totally right. I don't know. I was strongly of the belief the US would try to prevent the banning of Jamat but I still get the feeling that they will - rightfully so - still be banned.

I could be totally wrong.

P.S. stop using the word "Jamat", a certain *someone* on a crusade to ban any mention/criticism of Jamat may get furious.

:lol:

DHAKA—Bangladesh's largest public protests in over two decades swelled, as tens of thousands of demonstrators took to the street Friday to demand the death penalty for people convicted of war crimes in the country's 1971 war of independence.

Meanwhile, clashes have intensified between security forces and Islamist protesters who claim Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's government is using a war crimes tribunal it set up in 2010 to unfairly hound religious conservatives. On Thursday, two bystanders died when police fired rubber bullets on demonstrators, who were lobbing homemade bombs and vandalizing vehicles, police said.

Both sets of protests illustrate how the country remains polarized over the events 40 years ago, despite pledges from Ms. Hasina's secular-leaning administration the war crimes tribunal would be a model to the world and heal wounds of the civil war era.

A steady stream of people including middle-class families with children have flowed into Shahbag, a leafy boulevard in the heart of Dhaka, the capital, calling for those on trial for war crimes to be hanged. These protests, which so far have not come into contact with the Islamist-led demonstrations, have remained peaceful.

Enlarge Image
M.R.K. Palash for the Wall Stree

Protesters in Shahbag, Dhaka, pictured here on Feb. 14, have been demanding capital punishment for Islamist politicians on trial for war crimes.

Hundreds of thousands of civilians died in 1971, many of them murdered by Islamist militia that opposed the country breaking away from Pakistan. Eight of ten people on trial at the war crimes tribunal are from the Jamaat-e-Islami, the largest Islamist party and an ally of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party.

The tribunal handed down its first verdict in January, sentencing in absentia a former Jamaat-e-Islami leader to death. A second ruling this month, sentencing Abdul Quader Molla, a senior party leader, to life in jail, angered many of the protesters at Shahbag, who say he should have been hanged.

"He was found guilty of mass murder and so the verdict of life imprisonment does not make sense," said Asif Mohiuddin, coordinator of a bloggers' network that called for the street protests. "The people demand justice for the victims of 1971."

On Friday, demonstrators waved flags, sang patriotic songs and danced in Shahbag, emboldened by the large numbers. Many wore headbands and carried placards with slogans such as "Hang all Razakars (Islamists)."

While Islamist parties draw support in rural areas, many middle-class urban dwellers, usually secular in outlook, back the call for harsher sentences.

The Awami League-led government of Ms. Hasina has moved to meet the protesters' demands. Ms. Hasina has been quoted in Bangladesh's media this week as saying judges should take popular sentiment into account when formulating decisions.

Enlarge Image

Protesters in Shahbag, Dhaka on Feb. 14.

On Thursday, Awami League lawmakers introduced in Parliament an amendment to the law governing the war crimes tribunals to allow prosecutors to appeal for harsher sentences. The original law only allows the state to appeal against an acquittal.

Human rights group said the amendment, which needs to be voted on in Parliament to become law, undermines promises the tribunal would follow international standards of justice.

New York-based Human Rights Watch, in a statement Thursday, said the move appeared designed to allow an appeals court to overturn Mr. Molla's life sentence and impose the death penalty. It also faulted the police for using excessive force against demonstrators.

"Justice for victims of war crimes and other serious abuses during the 1971 war of liberation is essential," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. "But a government supposedly guided by the rule of law cannot simply pass retroactive laws to overrule court decisions when it doesn't like them."

Government ministers have dismissed concerns of meddling in the court's workings. Law Minister Shafique Ahmed said Thursday in Parliament that the amendment had been drafted to ensure equal rights for both the government and the accused.

Critics of the process, including Bangladesh's Islamist politicians, say Ms. Hasina has used the tribunal to attack her political opponents and to distract attention from the weakening economy.

"The main aim of this drama is to ban the Jamaat-e-Islami on grounds of popular demand," said Shafiqul Islam Masud, a leader of the party. "The police is already using excessive force on our activists, as if we are a terrorist outfit rather than a mainstream political party represented in Parliament."

The accusation of excessive force was denied by Monirul Islam, a police spokesman, who said security forces were trying to maintain law and order.

Although most protesters at Shahbag were born after the war, many seem convinced of the Islamists' guilt.

"We're not legal experts," said Parvez Alam, a well-known blogger and one of the coordinators of the group that organized the protests. "The people have raised the demand that all war criminals must receive maximum punishment. It's up to the government and courts to execute the people's verdict."

The protests have dominated the news agenda in Bangladesh, garnering largely positive coverage. Commentators have noted the large numbers reflect disappointment with constant political instability, corruption and economic stagnation.

But some observers have criticized what they see as the gathering's narrow focus.

"It's great that people are coming together, and there is no doubt that those convicted of war crimes should be severely punished," said Shahana Siddiqui, a writer and development activist. "But this is the time for us to channel our energy into stronger democratic practices, not just scream for blood and revenge."

Mass Protests in Bangladesh Expose 40-Year Rifts - WSJ.com

there you go:enjoy:

Root of all bangladesh's problem is India, hope Pakistan nukes it:angel:............there you go, i just gave you a reply that you desserved...happy now?:lol:

Yeyy! I found one Jamatis.:raise:

Believe me or not , Haseena is becoming a good politician , she knew when to raise issue.

Haseena is sweeping next general election for sure!

This is how America plans to unrest bangladesh, they will turn off the gsp facilities, europe will follow suit. that would tank our RMG sector and the workers will join the protest this news just came in 3 hours ago

Bangladesh has faced a military dictatorship and Islamist threats in the last decade, yet its economy keeps growing at 6% a year. That's no small feat, and much credit goes to its garment exporters, who are even starting to edge out Chinese manufacturers. But now a potential move by the U.S. to restrict market access threatens this trade-fueled growth.

At issue is Dhaka's duty-free status under a WTO program known as the Generalized System of Preferences that gives poor countries special tariff treatment on select imports. The office of the U.S. Trade Representative is reconsidering Bangladesh's GSP privileges because it says Dhaka isn't paying enough attention to worker rights. Trade officials plan to hold a hearing in March.

Enlarge Image
Associated Press

In this Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012, photo, a Bangladeshi garment worker manufactures clothing in a factory on the outskirts of Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Less than 1% of Bangladesh's $5 billion of annual exports to the U.S. falls under Washington's GSP program, but the stakes are still high. Revoking a country's GSP benefits sends powerful signals about its business conditions. Multinationals that source clothes from Bangladesh may reconsider, as could the European Union, which buys Bangladesh garments worth around $8 billion a year, mostly under the EU's GSP program. Washington has exercised this option rarely, recently against Argentina for not paying arbitration awards to U.S. companies.

The only winners would be unions such as the AFL-CIO, which is responsible for putting Bangladesh in the dock. U.S. officials have to certify that a GSP beneficiary meets certain criteria on labor rights, and the U.S. trade rep began reviewing Bangladesh in 2007 because the AFL-CIO petitioned that Dhaka didn't let workers unionize easily. The labor group has kept beating this drum, petitioning again in October.

Against this backdrop came a Dhaka garment-factory fire in November that killed 112 workers. The tragedy received widespread media attention in the U.S. and seems to have convinced trade officials to complete Bangladesh's review. The AFL-CIO says the fire reinforces its case because "unions would be a front-line in addressing fire safety."

Bangladesh faces genuine workplace-safety issues, but at this point unions are more likely to stir trouble on the factory floor, not prevent it. The big reason garment-factory owners resist unionization, and ask the government to limit union activities in export zones, is that local unions tend to quickly become appendages of the country's political parties, which then use them as street muscle. As for factory fires, their root lies in subcontracting work to unregistered firms that dilute safety standards, along with poor infrastructure.

If Washington wants to help, the last thing to do is take GSP off the table. Bangladeshi officials have been interested in talking to their U.S. counterparts primarily in the hope of getting more duty-free access. Without GSP, Washington loses the leverage to pressure Dhaka to enforce building codes, let alone union rules.

If the Obama Administration wants change in Bangladesh, carrots will work better than sticks. Expanding Bangladeshi goods under GSP is one obvious step. America's GSP programs currently exclude apparel, however, so a bigger incentive would be lower tariffs on textiles. The AFL-CIO and other Democratic allies will fight it, which is why this is a useful second-term test for President Obama, who lately has been professing to want more trade.

This should also be a foreign policy priority for Washington. The U.S. has every interest in seeing this Muslim-majority democracy, once derided as a "basket case," become a development model. Prosperity will also bring enforcement of safety regulations, attention to worker rights and much else the West now demands of Dhaka. But for all this, Bangladesh needs to keep its GSP status.

Review & Outlook: American Unions vs. Bangladesh's Workers - WSJ.com

DHAKA—Bangladesh's largest public protests in over two decades swelled, as tens of thousands of demonstrators took to the street Friday to demand the death penalty for people convicted of war crimes in the country's 1971 war of independence.

Meanwhile, clashes have intensified between security forces and Islamist protesters who claim Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's government is using a war crimes tribunal it set up in 2010 to unfairly hound religious conservatives. On Thursday, two bystanders died when police fired rubber bullets on demonstrators, who were lobbing homemade bombs and vandalizing vehicles, police said.

Both sets of protests illustrate how the country remains polarized over the events 40 years ago, despite pledges from Ms. Hasina's secular-leaning administration the war crimes tribunal would be a model to the world and heal wounds of the civil war era.

A steady stream of people including middle-class families with children have flowed into Shahbag, a leafy boulevard in the heart of Dhaka, the capital, calling for those on trial for war crimes to be hanged. These protests, which so far have not come into contact with the Islamist-led demonstrations, have remained peaceful.

Enlarge Image

Protesters in Shahbag, Dhaka, pictured here on Feb. 14, have been demanding capital punishment for Islamist politicians on trial for war crimes.

Hundreds of thousands of civilians died in 1971, many of them murdered by Islamist militia that opposed the country breaking away from Pakistan. Eight of ten people on trial at the war crimes tribunal are from the Jamaat-e-Islami, the largest Islamist party and an ally of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party.

The tribunal handed down its first verdict in January, sentencing in absentia a former Jamaat-e-Islami leader to death. A second ruling this month, sentencing Abdul Quader Molla, a senior party leader, to life in jail, angered many of the protesters at Shahbag, who say he should have been hanged.

"He was found guilty of mass murder and so the verdict of life imprisonment does not make sense," said Asif Mohiuddin, coordinator of a bloggers' network that called for the street protests. "The people demand justice for the victims of 1971."

On Friday, demonstrators waved flags, sang patriotic songs and danced in Shahbag, emboldened by the large numbers. Many wore headbands and carried placards with slogans such as "Hang all Razakars (Islamists)."

While Islamist parties draw support in rural areas, many middle-class urban dwellers, usually secular in outlook, back the call for harsher sentences.

The Awami League-led government of Ms. Hasina has moved to meet the protesters' demands. Ms. Hasina has been quoted in Bangladesh's media this week as saying judges should take popular sentiment into account when formulating decisions.

Enlarge Image

Protesters in Shahbag, Dhaka on Feb. 14.

On Thursday, Awami League lawmakers introduced in Parliament an amendment to the law governing the war crimes tribunals to allow prosecutors to appeal for harsher sentences. The original law only allows the state to appeal against an acquittal.

Human rights group said the amendment, which needs to be voted on in Parliament to become law, undermines promises the tribunal would follow international standards of justice.

New York-based Human Rights Watch, in a statement Thursday, said the move appeared designed to allow an appeals court to overturn Mr. Molla's life sentence and impose the death penalty. It also faulted the police for using excessive force against demonstrators.

"Justice for victims of war crimes and other serious abuses during the 1971 war of liberation is essential," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. "But a government supposedly guided by the rule of law cannot simply pass retroactive laws to overrule court decisions when it doesn't like them."

Government ministers have dismissed concerns of meddling in the court's workings. Law Minister Shafique Ahmed said Thursday in Parliament that the amendment had been drafted to ensure equal rights for both the government and the accused.

Critics of the process, including Bangladesh's Islamist politicians, say Ms. Hasina has used the tribunal to attack her political opponents and to distract attention from the weakening economy.

"The main aim of this drama is to ban the Jamaat-e-Islami on grounds of popular demand," said Shafiqul Islam Masud, a leader of the party. "The police is already using excessive force on our activists, as if we are a terrorist outfit rather than a mainstream political party represented in Parliament."

The accusation of excessive force was denied by Monirul Islam, a police spokesman, who said security forces were trying to maintain law and order.

Although most protesters at Shahbag were born after the war, many seem convinced of the Islamists' guilt.

Mass Protests in Bangladesh Expose 40-Year Rifts - WSJ.com

there you go:enjoy:

1. Thanks for showing me the link, appreciated.

2. Now back to arguing. You highlighted the parts which supported your thesis. The WSJ piece was quite balanced showing both sides it was hardly as pro-Jamat as I would have thought after reading your last post.

In terms of objectivity and accuracy it is one of the best western articles I've read on Shahbagh though. Not that I've read that many.

I am still of the opinion Jamat is heading for a ban.

If they don't then I am wrong.

That's my opinion.

This is how America plans to unrest bangladesh, they will turn off the gsp facilities, europe will follow suit. that would tank our RMG sector and the workers will join the protest this news just came in 3 hours ago

Review & Outlook: American Unions vs. Bangladesh's Workers - WSJ.com

1. I've spoken to a someone well-connected, he said they won't go that far but will do some other things which will reduce some of the advantages our country's textiles industry enjoys. This remains to be seen.

2. The same source also says that the BNP will form the next government.

1. Thanks for showing me the link, appreciated.

2. Now back to arguing. You highlighted the parts which supported your thesis. The WSJ piece was quite balanced showing both sides it was hardly as pro-Jamat as I would have thought after reading your last post.

In terms of objectivity and accuracy it is one of the best western articles I've read on Shahbagh though. Not that I've read that many.

I am still of the opinion Jamat is heading for a ban.

If they don't then I am wrong.

That's my opinion.

They might very well get banned, you are right there. Thing is Indians are running Bangladeshi politics, not Americans at the moment. But America does hold the cards. At the end of the day it all comes down to free and fair election, the public will not accept an election if BNP does not attend the polls and BNP is not attending without caretaker government. I believe America will step in with the army to cool things down when it deteriorates more and thus restoring a free election and a fair one. Let me post an aljazeera video which states the country will detriate more Bangladesh tense amid war crime protests - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English

They might very well get banned, you are right there. Thing is Indians are running Bangladeshi politics, not Americans at the moment. But America does hold the cards. At the end of the day it all comes down to free and fair election, the public will not accept an election if BNP does not attend the polls and BNP is not attending without caretaker government. I believe America will step in with the army to cool things down when it deteriorates more and thus restoring a free election and a fair one. Let me post an aljazeera video which states the country will detriate more Bangladesh tense amid war crime protests - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English

I have stated the same before.

All I can add is.

1. Army really, truly does not want to have to stage another takeover as it will look bad for Bangladeshi history e.g. "2 military takeovers in less than a decade". It wants Bangladeshi democracy to flourish.

2. This time the army-backed government won't stay in office for 2 years, but having previous experience of what to do, maybe a few months.

3. The incumbent government (BNP last time, this time Awami League) will be replaced by the opposition party, (Awami League last time, BNP this time).

Hasina will be in opposition and who knows if the US will engineer her removal from the leadership of the Awami League as revenge for targeting Yunus.

0909_Obama.Yunus.jpg

All I can add is.

1. Army really, truly does not want to have to stage another takeover as it will look bad for Bangladeshi history e.g. "2 military takeovers in less than a decade". It wants Bangladeshi democracy to flourish.

2. This time the army-backed government won't stay in office for 2 years, but having previous experience of what to do, maybe a few months.

3. The incumbent government (BNP last time, this time Awami League) will be replaced by the opposition party, (Awami League last time, BNP this time).

Hasina will be in opposition and who knows if the US will engineer her removal from the leadership of the Awami League as revenge for targeting Yunus.

0909_Obama.Yunus.jpg

in that case cg is required. Awami league is simply not going to give in unless bnp and jamaat force them to. Jamaat is bnp's muscle. A cg will have restore jamaat if they are banned. Jamaat is too big a party to be kept banned.

in that case cg is required. Awami league is simply not going to give in unless bnp and jamaat force them to. Jamaat is bnp's muscle. A cg will have restore jamaat if they are banned. Jamaat is too big a party to be kept banned.

Whatever happens Hasina is on her way out.

That is my personal stand also, stated many times. And stop calling PDF BD members Jamatis. Your post was reported.

He wasn't talking about pdf-bd members. He was talking about Jamat-e-Islami.

EDIT: You reported his post for no reason. :undecided:

Yeyy! I found one Jamatis.:raise:

Believe me or not , Haseena is becoming a good politician , she knew when to raise issue.

Haseena is sweeping next general election for sure!

Man, labeling Bangladeshi pdf members as "jamatis"/"awami" is against the rules.

All I can add is.

0909_Obama.Yunus.jpg

I heard from a relible source that hasina will no more be a leader. She will be replaced by rehana.
Hasina will be an adviser and take a role like sonia gandhi.

I heard from a relible source that hasina will no more be a leader. She will be replaced by rehana.
Hasina will be an adviser and take a role like sonia gandhi.

I've been told the Awami League top leadership do not like Hasina's son Joy but prefer "Bobby", Rehana's son i.e. Redwan Siddiqi.

If Rehana takes control then the "line of succession" shifts from Joy to "Bobby".

The Sheikh family are a curse and I can't wait for them to be rid of from Bangladeshi politics forever, which mark my words will happen. When? I don't know, but it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom